Old 07-25-2012, 05:29 PM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Default How much do you think a CAST weighs?

I had surgery Tuesday on my ankle. I was thinking they would put me in a removable "boot". But, when I came out of anesthesia I had this half cast half ace bandage thing from toe to knee. I am going to be wearing this for the next three weeks. I don't want to drop out of the Summer Challenge, but I have no idea how much it weighs. Any guesses?
cyndie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:22 PM   #2  
Began IP 3-29-2012

S/C/G: 470/316/220

Height: 6'00"

How long will you have the cast on? I don't know about the weight but I'd expect several pounds anyway.
usmcvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:33 PM   #3  
Ideal Protein April 27/12

S/C/G: 215 / Ticker / 165

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndie View Post
I had surgery Tuesday on my ankle. I was thinking they would put me in a removable "boot". But, when I came out of anesthesia I had this half cast half ace bandage thing from toe to knee. I am going to be wearing this for the next three weeks. I don't want to drop out of the Summer Challenge, but I have no idea how much it weighs. Any guesses?
Kinda goofy question...you have a ticker...so obviously you know what you weighed before you got it, and if you weighed yourself now, and did the math, you would know exactly...

We cant even see it...just sayin...
Longhorn Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Energy View Post
Kinda goofy question...you have a ticker...so obviously you know what you weighed before you got it, and if you weighed yourself now, and did the math, you would know exactly...

That math isn't going to be quite so easy to do, because surgery, the anesthetic - they also can add temporary weight. The healing process itself can cause water-weight gain. So unless you weighed yourself five minutes before surgery and five minutes after - you won't know the exact weight of the cast.

Even if you subtract the pre-surgery weight from the current, right-this-minute weight and assume that the difference is the weight of the cast and possibly some of the temporary water retention that will eventually disappear, that doesn't mean "the end of it," because recovery water weight gain can take several days to settle on the body (and depending on the healing process can take weeks to disipate).

I'm not saying this to be a spoil-sport or to suggest you can't participate in the challenge. You may just have to wait until the cast comes off and the swelling, inflamation, and healing process has had a chance to really get your body back to normal to know what you actually lost.

The water retention that is likely is going to occur (which is actually a good thing, because the body needs the extra water for the healing process) is going to be a lot harder to guesstimate than the weight of the cast.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:28 PM   #5  
began IP May 25

S/C/G: 198/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 2"

Cyndie - I was wondering this exact same thing today. I'm having surgery on my foot in early August and will have a cast for 2 - 3 weeks, then the funky boot thing for a while longer. I'm only having a local, not general anesthsia, so I might be able to get a better idea if I weigh myself before leaving home and again when I get home.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Cindy

Last edited by greeniris; 07-25-2012 at 11:29 PM.
greeniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:48 AM   #6  
Ideal Protein April 27/12

S/C/G: 215 / Ticker / 165

Height: 5' 7"

Whoa...you guys are way overthinking this...Stay OP and all will be fine, if there is some odd WI numbers in the middle of a journey, it will all work out at the end...

More important to heal the foot proper than obsess about what the cast might weigh. Follow your docs orders re: the healing, and get better soon.
Longhorn Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:29 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 162/129/120

Height: 5'6''... and a half

I'm guessing it's fiberglass?

I think a full toe to knee cast is about 2 pounds, you say yours is a "half" cast, so I would say about a pound - at least this is what google tells me.

On the other hand, my dad just got his full toe to knee cast taken off and he said it had to be at least 3-5 pounds - he's 6'2" though, so he probably has longer legs than you.
EricAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:50 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
How long will you have the cast on? I don't know about the weight but I'd expect several pounds anyway.

I will have it on at least two weeks, until my next doctor visit...I may just have to wait until then to weigh. I tried getting on the scale this morning, with cast and crutches, I didn't break my neck exactly, but it didn't work and it was pretty comical.

So, I will just stay OP and I'm sure I will have a big loss when I can WI in a couple of weeks.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:57 AM   #9  
Began IP 3-29-2012

S/C/G: 470/316/220

Height: 6'00"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndie View Post
I will have it on at least two weeks, until my next doctor visit...I may just have to wait until then to weigh. I tried getting on the scale this morning, with cast and crutches, I didn't break my neck exactly, but it didn't work and it was pretty comical.

So, I will just stay OP and I'm sure I will have a big loss when I can WI in a couple of weeks.

Longhorns is right. Just take care of yourself and stay OP. I skipped WI the week of my hand surgery.
usmcvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:12 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
I think you are right about the several pounds. It sure feels like it, anyway.

Quote:

It was a goofy question! lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
That math isn't going to be quite so easy to do, because surgery, the anesthetic - they also can add temporary weight. The healing process itself can cause water-weight gain. So unless you weighed yourself five minutes before surgery and five minutes after - you won't know the exact weight of the cast.

Even if you subtract the pre-surgery weight from the current, right-this-minute weight and assume that the difference is the weight of the cast and possibly some of the temporary water retention that will eventually disappear, that doesn't mean "the end of it," because recovery water weight gain can take several days to settle on the body (and depending on the healing process can take weeks to disipate).

I'm not saying this to be a spoil-sport or to suggest you can't participate in the challenge. You may just have to wait until the cast comes off and the swelling, inflamation, and healing process has had a chance to really get your body back to normal to know what you actually lost.

The water retention that is likely is going to occur (which is actually a good thing, because the body needs the extra water for the healing process) is going to be a lot harder to guesstimate than the weight of the cast.
I hadn't thought of all of this, but I'm sure you're right. When I can get on the scale, I'll just go with what ever number I get. It will all come out good in the end. I just might have some funny numbers in the middle. This is the first eating plan I have ever been ever to follow so faithfully. I haven't even thought about cheating. So I won't worry about it too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeniris View Post
Cyndie - I was wondering this exact same thing today. I'm having surgery on my foot in early August and will have a cast for 2 - 3 weeks, then the funky boot thing for a while longer. I'm only having a local, not general anesthsia, so I might be able to get a better idea if I weigh myself before leaving home and again when I get home.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Cindy
Thanks Cindy, good luck to you and wishing you a speedy recovery, too.

Quote:
Whoa...you guys are way overthinking this...Stay OP and all will be fine, if there is some odd WI numbers in the middle of a journey, it will all work out at the end...

More important to heal the foot proper than obsess about what the cast might weigh. Follow your docs orders re: the healing, and get better soon.
Good advice and I will try to not obsess, but it's in my genes...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricAnn View Post
I'm guessing it's fiberglass?

I think a full toe to knee cast is about 2 pounds, you say yours is a "half" cast, so I would say about a pound - at least this is what google tells me.

On the other hand, my dad just got his full toe to knee cast taken off and he said it had to be at least 3-5 pounds - he's 6'2" though, so he probably has longer legs than you.
It looks like "cast material" but not sure. I know it feels heavy as all get out. I am going to try and not be too obsessive about it and just stay OP and go with what ever weird numbers I get.

It doesn't really matter after all. I thought I would be able to hop on the scale with cast and crutches and that didn't work. So, I'll just have to be patient and wait till it comes off.

Thanks, for all the info and well wishes.