3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Newbies - what's your goal? What's your motivation? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/259324-newbies-whats-your-goal-whats-your-motivation.html)

EmilySebetka 05-20-2012 09:23 AM

I am no longer considered a newbie, but I think this is a subject we need to think about no matter how long we've been doing IP, or alternatives.

My motivation is my health and future. Heart disease and diabetes run in my family and as a 18 year old weighing 243 pounds, I was heading for trouble. I was not only really unhealthy, but depressed and disgusted with myself. Since December 2011 I have lost 40lbs, and since IP I have lost 35lbs. I'm not there yet, but I will be soon.

Thanks to IP, I know I'll be healthy enough to escape the health issues plaguing my overweight family members. I also have the security of knowing that when I have a family, I'll be around for them a long time.

That's my motivation! Health, future, and the ability to love myself!!

Liveran 05-20-2012 11:00 PM

Hi Everyone-
I am not necessarily a newbie, (5 weeks in) but still feel like I am green and learning every day. This diet has been amazing for me. The beginning was a little rough, headaches, dizzy, spacey and such. But it all eventually went away. Now I feel fabulous. I have found a new creativity in cooking with the limited white and green veggies you can eat (in phase 1). It's all about the spices people! Taste is everything and it is amazing how great Califlower can taste with Extra Spicy Mrs Dash, Sea Salt and Olive oil. Yum. Not to mention, there is nothing better than finding something in your closet or dresser that was "snug" or didn't fit the last time you attempted to try it on, only to find it now fitting just fine.
Aside from having some family events this year motivating me to lose weight, the bottom line is I am doing this for me. I know myself well enough to know that I am a much happier/pleasant person to myself and to others when I am at a healthy weight. As the years have crept by where I am finding myself close to 50, I realize that this weight health thing is nothing to play around with. If I don't get it under control now, it is just going to get harder and harder as my hormones start to "phase" into that next "area" of my life where, if given a choice, I would not go (menopause.) But I know I will, so I had better be at a healthy weight when I get there, else the effort might be twice as hard.
I have lost about 13 pounds so far. However the last 2 weeks I am in a stall. Going to talk it through with my coach and see whats going on. Have been getting a bit more active, like taking brisk walks, doing leg lunges, and wall push-ups (or rather push-ins) but nothing causing me to get out of breath. Until I can get to my next appointment, I am trying to stay OP and pull out some old clothes, just to see how things fit. That alone keeps me from endulging and instead I choose to drink a half bottle of water, let out a big sigh, and say "yup, I'm full!" :D

Ray 05-20-2012 11:28 PM

I had done really good on IP March 2011 to Sept 2011. I totally fell off the wagon with my husband finding out he had leukemia and have had a major struggle since. I totally didn't think of the diet and just ate everything I shouldn't of. There's not very good choices at a hospital and I can't even stand the smell of the cafeteria anymore. But now we are very close to getting out of the hospital after he had a stem cell transplant on Jan 30th. I decided this morning that this was enough of not taking care of me, so I started today. It might be a little tough for the first couple weeks until we get to go back to our house, but I'm determined to get it started. I might only be on the alternatives until I can get to the clinic to get food. This is an amazing diet and I know how good it works so I have no doubt I WILL lose my weight again. I am a total stress eater and its time to take care of ME AGAIN. So Sundays will be my weigh in days. Good luck to everyone.

shathom 05-21-2012 08:10 AM

Hey everyone, I still consider myself a newbie, 5.5 weeks in..

My motivation... my granddaughters. The oldest is 19 and the youngest is 4, I want to be around for all the milestones to come in their lives. :D

Being obese puts too much strain on my frame. I say i'm 5'4, but that is stretching it. I've been blessed not to have health issues that hinder me from being active (other than being lazy at times).

So now is the time to get with it and get healthy! :carrot::carrot:

Smooches!

CkM 05-21-2012 10:18 AM

Hi everyone! I started April 19th and my first WI was 169. I am on the IP diet because I am ready to start putting myself first instead of everyone else. I used to be a size 0, weigh 115 pounds and was very athletic. Of course I packed on the pounds after high school from partying and eating terribly!

I have since had a child and I want to make sure I can keep up with him. I have been scrutinized from my husband about most of my weight loss attempts before so I do not have a lot of support from him. However I do have a ton of support from my family.

My most recent weight loss attempt before IP was a healthy diet and strict gym plan. I lost 19 pounds from that(started at 179 and got to 160). I plateaued at 160 and couldnt get past it. When I took a new job I was working 60+ hours a week so I couldn't go to the gym.

Since starting IP I have finally gotten under 160 in just 3 weeks! I havent been under 160 in about 6 years!! SO I am sure you can hear my excitement and thrill that I am finally hitting a goal of mine!

Crustybuns 05-21-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmstacy (Post 4339004)
I start Mon 5-21...I have been obese since i was a teen, I am currently 280 and my first big goal is to weigh 199 which i haven't weighed in over 20 years..I can relate to everyone saying they are finally putting themselves first... I have 4 kids and never do anything for my self so i am so excited about this program and to finally do something for me!

Good morning to you-- I just wanted to stop and tell you that you CAN do this... my heaviest weight was 280. I feel like a different person, it's been a long road though... that was 20 years ago, everyday I still need to be accountable to myself and conscious of what is making me want the unhealthy foods that got me way up there. Everyday be positive, remember why you are doing this... before long you will be seeing amazing results :)

Crustybuns 05-21-2012 11:56 AM

As someone else posted, I am not a true newbie. But as I approach my 5 week WI I sure feel like a newbie *ha* My motivation is my own personal health. I am going back to school, and in the nursing program... I see so many unhealthy overweight health providers, rather ironic. So my personal reasons for doing this are ranging from wanting to display a healthy view for others to see as well as I refuse to be a victim of the freshman 15 :carrot: and now that I am getting close to goal I will have to decide if that is going to be re-adjusted.

LizRR 05-21-2012 01:10 PM

I don't think I'm considered a "newbie" anymore, but thought I'd jump in. Before we start trying for baby #2, I NEED to lose the weight from baby #1 (a "baby" who is 22 months old).

I have been overweight all my life, but always used intense exercise to keep my weight 'stabilized' at ~185lb since highschool through my mid-30's. I've always thought I ate relatively healthy, but portion size was never my concern and I was a constant snacker.

After I had my son at 36 I developed a back problem (spondylolysthesis - the pregnancy strain caused a 3 vertebrae misalignments/2 bulging disks/aggravating 2 leg nerves) - I can no longer do intense activity, and my weight started to increase QUICKLY with no tools for me to keep it in check. This caused even MORE back problems (bed ridden 2x in 5 months with excruciating pain).

At 37 years old ~Nov 2011, I resolved to lose the weight because I KNOW that if I went into a pregnancy at 220lb with my condition I would be in intense pain and have complications if I added even more strain to my back. I tried to do it on my own and had little success (lost 6lb in 4 months). In Feb 2012 I went to my Dr. and told her of my plan and my troubles and she told me about the IP program she was supporting out of her office and I haven't looked back since. I am forever grateful for that conversation.

I have been AMAZED at how this has been working for me. I'm no longer a "spring chicken", but I am quickly on my way to getting to a good baby-making weight. And my back has felt AMAZING - I had a constant "pinch" pain I learned to live with the past year or so that is gone. I know that I will be entering into this next conception phase at the healthiest state I can possibly be - this baby is my motivation.

Shrinking Sandra 05-21-2012 10:20 PM

i started this diet march 2011 and my goal was to look good in my wedding dress. I got to a size 10 for my wedding day from a size 18-20. my wedding was July 23 2011. this was also the day I stopped IP. I stopped thinking, after the honeymoon i would start up again. That never happened. it is now almost a YEAR since I last quit. I have gained almost everything back and am currently a size 14-16. When I was a size 10 I was HAPPY. I knew I needed a bit more to lose around the tummy (I am a mom afterall, and have the "mom pouch") but I was mostly happy with myself. I can't believe that I let myself go, and got lazy and reverted back to my old habits of eating anything and everthing in sight. This time around...my motivation is to get that feeling back...feeling good about myself. As an obese child, and teen and young adult the ONLY time I was a healthy size was on my wedding day. I want that feeling back. I dont have the funds this time for IP so I am doing it myself with Nashua Nutrition products. My order should come tomorrow by 5pm so I will start Wednesday morning. My goal this time, is to learn how to eat for LIFE, not just to quickly lose weight.

JackBs Mom 05-22-2012 12:42 AM

Sandra when I got married in 2010 I lost 25+ lbs and was 138 - I had so much confidence, it was amazing! But when it was over so was my healthy eating and exercise & here I am ….

ferrousgal 05-22-2012 03:01 AM

Almost everyone on both sides of my family has diabetes by some point in their 40s. I'll be 39 later this summer. That's motivation enough, but I've failed in the past with that motivation.

Right now just the sheer effectiveness is keeping me motivated. I've lost 11-12 lbs in 3 weeks (I'm 100% alternative and technically am going Tues to Tues). And I see so many women starting in the 200s like myself who are maintaining a 3-4lb loss average each week for months which gives me hope that I can do that to so long as I stay on track and keep my eyes on the prize. The diet just makes sense to me being someone who had success on Atkins. Basically it's Atkins, just low fat. That makes it a whole lot harder, but when I step on the scale and gradually stop seeing certain numbers pop up day after day, it makes the sacrifice seem well worth it.

I want all the superficial things. Stuff like being able to wear nice clothes I've kept yet stopped fitting in 8 years ago. Maybe being able to wear a swimsuit without feeling like a scantily clad orca whale. Looking nice when SIL has her first baby this Fall as those pictures I'll be in during that time will be part of the family albums forever. Feeling like I can shop for clothes as an enjoyable experience instead of just trying on item after item because everything is just a different way of window dressing an overweight person underneath.

The health reasons are stellar and they do matter. But at the same time, there's a reason why the superficial matters to me too. I deserve to be able to look in the mirror and like what I see staring back again. I deserve to feel pretty on the outside as well as the inside.

Stefany1769 05-22-2012 03:03 AM

My motivation is to be happier with myself. No more negative thoughts about how unattractive or not pretty I am. No more!
I have let my new job and the high stress levels that come with it along with being a working mom of course take over my body. I lost a lot of wieght twice before and let it all come back again.
I was 195 at the beginning of August when my fiancé left me after being together for seven years. I started to lose wieght rapidly as when I get depressed I don't eat. At all. I lost about 15 pounds in one month. Once he contacted me in early September wanting to come back I continued to watch what i ate and exercised. Between September and December I lost another ten pounds but hit a big fat plateau. It seemed like no matter what I did I couldn't get past it. I would say by the time march hit I had lost my momentum and felt what was the point? I started up bad habits again and gained wieght.
In April my mom started talking to me about IP, she had started it in April 2011 lost thirty pounds and has kept it off for six months! She looks great and seems a lot more healthy now. She convinced me to give it a try, I was skeptical, but I thought what have I got to lose?
I started IP on April 20 and I have lost 17 pounds! I am glad that IP found a way in to my life and I am happy that I will be at MY ideal wieght when I get married in November!

I'm still not sure what wieght MY ideal wieght will be, but I am confident that when I get there I will know it. :)

saintsbelle 05-24-2012 03:43 PM

I started IP 8 days ago and have lost 14 pounds. I started off at 205, which I have never been in my life!!! I realized it was time to do something when I didn't recognize myself in the mirror, the other motivation was I weighed more than my husband, yuck! I want to feel hot again, gain confidence, and feel like I want to do things instead of stay inside after work. I became a hermit because i didn't feel good about myself.

In 8 days I lost 14 pounds and I won't stop till I get to 145 or less!!!!!! The healthy me HERE I COME!!!!!!!

Julie68 05-24-2012 08:30 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am on my 1st day of my second week. the recipe boards have been such a huge help plus some tips I read in the first week definatley kept me from quitting. My first weigh in was more than I expected 6 pounds! :carrot:

Stupid question (but I guess I am a newbie :D) When i make the trailer showing the weightloss footsteps & pounds lost- where do I copy it in my profile?

Good luck everyone, I look forward to sharing the ride.

Julie

ferrousgal 05-24-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julie68 (Post 4345943)
Hi Everyone,

I am on my 1st day of my second week. the recipe boards have been such a huge help plus some tips I read in the first week definatley kept me from quitting. My first weigh in was more than I expected 6 pounds! :carrot:

Stupid question (but I guess I am a newbie :D) When i make the trailer showing the weightloss footsteps & pounds lost- where do I copy it in my profile?

Good luck everyone, I look forward to sharing the ride.

Julie

That'll be in your signature and you won't have that option until around 21 days or so. It took forever for me to get the option. Over 20 days in fact.