Old 03-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 167/135/120

Height: 5' 3"

I picked 130 because I started out at 167, and thought "Yeah, 37 pounds would be great." Also because I remember getting down to 135 for a trip to Hawaii in 1996 and was relatively happy there. When I reached 135 I did a mini-phase off for a vacation, even thought I knew I was not where I wanted to be. With the phase-off and vacation, I gained four pounds. This made me realize that I want to be at an even lower weight when I phase-off for good, because of that 2-3 pounds that creep back on when you add the carbs back in. Now, I am going for 120, with hopes to maintain at right around 125. I am sure that if I were more muscular I would be able to safely carry more weight, but I am still doing the minimum amount of exercise I can get by with. xsighx One hurdle at a time!!
Survalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #17  
Started IP Jan 14/12

S/C/G: 242/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

I decided on 140 because it was a 'happy' weight when I was in my early 30's. I'm just taking it 1 day and 1 pound at a time and plan to re-evaluate once I get to around 170. With age and the menopausal changes taking place, I think 140 may be too low to maintain. So for now I just want to get into Onederland and aim for a healthy BMI

Last edited by northernfawn; 03-31-2012 at 10:21 AM.
northernfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 254/229.5/190

Height: 5"8

For me it was a few things, since I am 5”8 and have had a bone density test done in the past (and I have VERY heavy bones according to the doctor) I went with the lowest weight I have been in the past that was easy for me to stay at (170). Also just an FYI my doctor doesn’t use BMI, but say’s your waist should ALWAYS be under 34 inches to be healthy for your organs, not sure if its true but thought it was worth sharing.
Billster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:10 PM   #19  
Peggy

S/C/G: 191/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

My Primary Care Doctor and I discussed what would be my ideal weight and she said to choose a weight that I had been where I felt good and was happy at. I chose 130-135 because when I was smaller than 130 I had headaches and was grumpy all of the time. I have decided 135 is my goal because I like the way I look at 138 and I think 130 may actually be a bit small for my frame (I've got a large frame).
Magicpinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:10 PM   #20  

Location: Washington DC - or wheverever American Airlines is taking me at the moment!

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busymomx4 View Post
15 years and 3 kids ago, i had lost weight and went down to 130lbs and everyone said i looked sick
You know, I've always wondered about why this happens -- it seems like if you've always been a regular weight, nobody would dream of saying you looked "sick" or "too thin" while folks who have lost weight seem to encounter those phrases a lot more often, even if they're at a perfectly normal weight or even on the heavier side. I guess you're being judged relative to your previous weight instead of whether or not you are in a healthy, happy place. Sad.
GloverParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 152/112/130

Height: 5'3.5"

Very interesring thread. I picked 130 for essentially the same reasons as DanafromAustin--figuring it would make my post-menopausal self feel the way my pre-menopausal self did body- conscious wise at 120-125. But after reading Survalia's post, I'm thinking maybe I need to rachet my goal down to 125 or at least 127 in order to maintain at 130. Hmmmm, I think I'll raise this with my coach next week.
MaggieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:18 PM   #22  

S/C/G: High-258/224.5/135

Height: 5' 4"

I thought it would make for an interesting thread, too. It's nice to see the different trains of thought on how each person selected their goal. I am also glad to see that most are not carved in stone but depend more on feeling healthy, which, after all, is what we are really after!!!
JoesHotWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:00 PM   #23  
[url=http://www.3fatchick

S/C/G: 164/137/135

I love that you asked this. I have been agonizing over it. I originally said 145 but now that I'm here, I want to do more. I'm worried I'm going to get a little wacky with it but never expected the weight loss to be this easy. Also, when I was younger I would have been a 10 or 12 at 145. I now excersice a lot, spin, weights, step etc. and now am a solid size 8. My Mom asked me tonight if I was done and was concerned when I said another 10 but when she found out how much I weighed, she was amazed as it was the same as her. She's a 12. I don't know what the answer is. My question to you all is - Do you get to a point where your'e happy and you know your'e there or just a point when youre done and have had enough??????
artflunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:03 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 182/136.4/130

Height: 5' 5.5"

I picked the weight I was prior to giving up smoking but now I'm wondering if perhaps it is too low. I've been having a real rough time staying OP lately as my body continually calls for fuel, it may be due to lifting weights. i was getting tired of looking like I lost all my muscle since I had stopped my regular workout.

Funny thing about the clothes, I use to always be a 9/10 but now all my jeans are size 8. Course I dug out an old 9/10 and they were tight, believe the sizing changed and the lyrca is quite forgiving.
thin4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:10 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

I'm 5 8 and chose 155 because I remembered being that when I was 27 (I'm now 39) and I was a good size 10 and loved it! Then on IP I got to 170 and was fitting into size 10 so I changed my goal to 160. I'm now a size 8 (which I haven't been since HS/College). I look much skinnier now, and it may be because at 27 I was at the gym non-stop and my build was just different.

I was surprised to change my goal weight especially so late in the game. But it's not set in stone and you'll realize what your comfortable with. It's not about your weight as much as it is about your jean size. This diet changes us so differently. Many of us have been wearing smaller sizes at higher weights. If I get down to 155 I'll probably be in lose 8s and maybe 6s and that's just odd for me. May (WILL) take some getting use to but it's not how I use to carry a 155!
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:13 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billster View Post
For me it was a few things, since I am 5”8 and have had a bone density test done in the past (and I have VERY heavy bones according to the doctor) I went with the lowest weight I have been in the past that was easy for me to stay at (170). Also just an FYI my doctor doesn’t use BMI, but say’s your waist should ALWAYS be under 34 inches to be healthy for your organs, not sure if its true but thought it was worth sharing.
Hi Billster, I was happy to see your post. I'm also 5 8 and very large boned (very healthy looking) . You'll be so pleasantly surprised at 170! When I hit it I was in size 10, when I use to wear a size 10 at 155! Keep up your great work and I can't wait to see how this ends for you...which is right around the corner! Good luck!
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:44 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 225/211/130

Height: 5'6''

I actually recently changed my goal. It was 150 because that was the edge of 'normal weight' for my height (5'6'') but I felt a bit intimidated by that weight. I felt like I wouldn't be able to get there and was getting a bit discouraged. So I decided to change it to 160. I don't know why, but I feel like I can make it there! Plus I have already noticed a huge difference in my body only after 20lbs. I feel that 160 would look good on me. I will most likely keep going once I get there if it feels right. I really try not to care that much about the number - ultimately I just want to be healthy.
justme685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:25 PM   #28  

S/C/G: High-258/224.5/135

Height: 5' 4"

These are really Healthy attitudes about our weight goals and I feel certain everyone will succeed. I chose IP because I feel it fixed the problem instead of putting a band-aid on the symptoms.
JoesHotWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:52 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

I never set a weight goal when I started. Having been overweight for most of my life, I really had no idea. I just figured I'd know when the time was right, when I looked good and was a healthy BMI. My weight is probably too high, but towards the end it was clear that I was not going to loose alot more, and my hope is that exercise can now take over where the diet left off.

When I was 30, I lost weight swimming and I don't remember what I weighed, just that I fit into a size 12 and was willing to be seen in a swimsuit at my brother's wedding celebration (it was several days at a summer camp).
Sewmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:10 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 231/see ticker/150

Struggling with this too. I picked 160 initially because that was 70 pounds and it seemed like a long way. Well, now I am nearly there and know I won't be stopping. The complicating factor is that I had to phase off to phase three for surgery and have to keep on it for another week for healing. Much to my surprise I have lost another 6-7 pounds since on it. I love it. I think I am changing my goal to 145-150 and staying with phase three but adding exercise. I know that phase one is always there if the losses stop. Hmmm. I have of course often been accused of over complicating things. Lol.
swimcoachmomma is offline   Reply With Quote