Old 03-29-2012, 11:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: High-258/224.5/135

Height: 5' 4"

Default How did you determine your healthy goal weight?

There is so much differing information on healthy weight, I thought it would be good to discuss how you decided what your goal weight should be. The old height weight formula doesn’t seem to be accurate for me. I am 5’ 4” (apple shape) and always thought I should be between 125 and 130 lbs., but since the Omron says my lean weight is 118.5 lbs, those weights would put me between 9-10% body fat, which is unhealthy for a woman. If I use the suggested 18-30% optimal health range for body fat with the Omron’s lean weight of 118.5, then I should weigh between 140-154 lbs. I think I was a size 12 when I was about 150, which, to me, was overweight. (that was 30 years ago). I also know people get fixated on a number and that some set unrealistic goals given height and body shape. So, how did you decide on your goal weight?
JoesHotWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:34 PM   #2  
Round 2 started 6/21/13

S/C/G: 269/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Hi there, my goal weight is kind of arbitrary, and it falls into the 22BMI range... I went with the lowest weight I had ever achieved in my adult life (but was never able to keep). When I started, my lean mass was about the amount of my total goal weight, but since I have lost some muscle (my muscle loss rate is about 18%). My body has just adjusted to less weight being carried around.

Right now I am aiming for that lowest ever weight, but I will stop when I reach 20% body fat. If my projections considering additional fat and muscle loss at the historic rates so far (I'm an accountant, I use a spreadsheet... geek...) are correct, I should end up right around my goal weight, give or take a few pounds.

This isn't an exact science. Ultimately I want to look hot and fit into a size 8. You'll know when you feel good about yourself. Look at your goal as mostly a number for now because everyone needs a goal to keep moving.

Good luck.
Beanie Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:19 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

I was using my BMI (and pants size) as the gauge, but that depends on the scale, and when I lost 145 pds, the scale was not an accurate reflection because I had quite a bit of extra skin hanging on. I weigh 154, but in a size 10 pants, which doesn't make sense. So, I went to see two plastic surgeons, thinking they could take a look at me and estimate how many pounds the skin would be, so I could create a 'virtual' weight. They told me I had about 20 pds of skin, so deducting that from the scale weight put me at a healthy BMI. That was when I decided it was time. That, and one of the surgeons telling me I needed to stop dieting now, that I had lost enough. Never thought I'd hear that in a million years...

I hope to use exercises now to firm up the excess skin as much as I can. My doctor says that the body has a remarkable ability to recover, so give it a couple years.
Sewmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:32 AM   #4  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

I did it the boring way and just used the BMI calculations. I went right in the middle between high and low BMI for my height. For me, it worked out ok, since I am not extremely tall or short and I don't have an unusual body shape.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:35 AM   #5  
itsallhis

S/C/G: 211/179.1/150

Height: 5'0

I just picked a weight that I was comfortable saying out loud!
Sewman....thanks for the info on loose skin.....looking at a tummy tuck when I reach my goal!
Ducksmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:44 AM   #6  

Thanks everyone, would love to keep this going as I think finding the right number may be hard for some.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

Originally I had picked 125 because I thought that would be a good weight for someone my height and build. However, once I got to 135, I was really happy with the way I looked and my new body shape that I changed my goal. I am 5'-2", fluctuate between 132-135 and wear a size 4. I am more than happy with that.
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #8  
August 2013 restart

S/C/G: 248/229/139

Height: 5'2"

First of all, I LOVE your username!

I went with my personal 'dream' weight, to get to the 130's. I believe for my BMI I am supposed to be like 100 - 120. I am confirmed large framed, big boned, very broad shoulders, whatever you want to call it. One of my, scar me for life, memories is being 6 years old and my doctor telling my mom I was built like a football player. Nice! I wasn't even overweight then! AH!

Anyway, I didn't want to give myself an unattainable goal to just lead me to regaining down the line when I can't reach it.
If I get to 139 and feel like I can/need to lose more then I will reevaluate at that time.
The smallest adult weight (over age 21) I ever was was 165, and I remember then feeling like 25 pounds more would be perfect. So we'll see if that holds true this time.
139 was just a number that gave me motivation to go for it and that I believe I can reach.

Last edited by DaugT; 03-30-2012 at 09:59 AM.
DaugT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 294.6/see ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

15 years and 3 kids ago, i had lost weight and went down to 130lbs and everyone said i looked sick so i knew it was not a realistic goal this time around so i went with 150lbs. In the past couple of weeks though i've been thinking that once i hit 160lbs, i will do what sewman did and i will go see a plastic surgeon to have an idea of how much weight my loose skin weighs to have an idea of real weight and see if i should go down more or not. Right now I'm in a size 9 pants and medium shirt. Once i get to goal i will start exercising to help with the skin as it really bums me out.
Busymomx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:29 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaugT View Post
First of all, I LOVE your username!

I went with my personal 'dream' weight, to get to the 130's. I believe for my BMI I am supposed to be like 100 - 120. I am confirmed large framed, big boned, very broad shoulders, whatever you want to call it. One of my, scar me for life, memories is being 6 years old and my doctor telling my mom I was built like a football player. Nice! I wasn't even overweight then! AH!

Anyway, I didn't want to give myself an unattainable goal to just lead me to regaining down the line when I can't reach it.
If I get to 139 and feel like I can/need to lose more then I will reevaluate at that time.
The smallest adult weight (over age 21) I ever was was 165, and I remember then feeling like 25 pounds more would be perfect. So we'll see if that holds true this time.
139 was just a number that gave me motivation to go for it and that I believe I can reach.
Thanks, Joe likes my user name, too.

I really wonder what doctors are thinking, sometimes. A couple of years ago, I went to a new doctor for a GYN appt and, first thing, he suggested I get gastric bypass. I fired him.

With the internet, it is very possible to have an understanding of ones health problems before seeing a doctor, and for me that was solidified a few years ago when I ended up in the hospital. The general doctor they assigned to me tested and tested and kept me in the hospital for days, without food, I might add. He found I had a gallstone almost the size of a marble but kept telling me it wasn’t the problem. The head nurse would tell me it was the gallstone. Then the other nurses said the same thing, and even the Pastor said it, too. My DH brought the laptop and while I was waiting for them to figure out what my problem was, I did a ton of research. I finally asked the head nurse if I could have another doctor, and she told me to ask for the surgeon. I did and he said “if it looks like a duck and it quacks…it’s probably a duck” Long story short, they found the gall bladder was twice the size it should have been and had glued itself to other organs. It was the gallstone. From that point on, I research every health issue before I see the doctor so that I can ask appropriate questions and know if they are providing quality care. I have had a number of them ask what my medical training is. Sorry…this is one of my pet peeves.

It really appears that we need to set a general goal then reevaluate it once we get in the vicinity. We’re all unique, so I guess weight is part of the uniqueness, too.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #11  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

I'm 5'2 and small framed. I put 130 as my goal only because I remember when I was in my 20's feeling thin when I was in the 120's. At age 55 I'm giving myself a little more room and for now I just put down 130. My real goal though is to be at a healthy BMI, and not a number on a scale. So when my body fat is in the healthy range I will be done.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 187.6/164.2/135

Height: 5'4"

I am your height. I think I am more of an pear shape? Maybe an apple? I feel like a square shape. But anyways, I got to about 145 last fall on IP and was happy with that wieght. (I am not sure why I didn't keep my weight that way?) But this time, I want to get about that same weight, but also watch my % fat. I would love to get in a healthy range of below 30%. I am thinking maybe 25%? If I get to 145 again and am still in the 30%'s, I will try to lose a little more weight.
becca1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:44 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 257.8/179.8/135

Height: 5'2"

I am 5'2", and I chose 135, because it is the top limit for a healthy BMI for my height. That is the weight I need to achieve in order to be able to buy health insurance. I may keep going after that, as the low for my height is 106. But right now, the thing driving me to my goal is to be able to get health insurance for me and my little girl.
ChubbyCherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #14  
Started IP 12/30/11

S/C/G: 160/125/130 Phase 4!!!

Height: 5'

I originally picked 130 because I thought it was doable. The lowest I have seen on the scale in the last decade was 131 and I just could not get down below that. But, part of me also thought I might want to lose a total of 40 or 45 lbs (and go beyond 30). In my 20's, my range was from 105-112. Crazy, I remember always wanting to lose 5 lbs. They say stuff is wasted on the youth.

Anyway, based on some posts I saw here I looked up ideal body weights for my height, age and frame size. I wish I knew what sites I used. I think I tried several. I think I am small boned but I could be medium so I found two weights that made sense to me. I think I picked between 114 and 119 but feel that would be too much to do and pay for while on IP

I left my goal at 130 but hope for more. I think 127 gets me into the healthy BMI so I will try for that. But I am also holding on to some long term goals based on the above ideal body weights for my size and age.

I think I am an 8 now. At least I am getting into some 8's more. Still a 10 but they are loser. Was also able to zip up a 6 this weekend. I always wanted to end with a healthy BMI and 8/10. I feel anything beyond that is great. I look and feel normal to me. I am very comfortable and very thankful to IP for getting me here. I just don't want to pay to push the limit for a weight I may or may not need in my 40's.
purple sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #15  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

At first I picked 250 because that is what I weighed 25 yrs ago. Once I really got into the program I knew I could go lower so I picked 200. Why 200? I really don't know, I may even go to 180 once I get there. I am not really going to stick to a "number" but go with the way I look at myself and when I feel I am comfortable with myself. I haven't weighed in the 100's since I was in probably middle school so that was MANY MANY years ago. So I will just keep going until I feel great about myself and the way I look but 180 would be the lowest I would go!
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote