Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #16  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Sewmam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 980

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksmy View Post
Mental journey is right! Today I went shopping and I wanted so bad to be in a size 14, no go! I keep hearing in my head what a fat cow you still are....
Losing 23 lbs and still a fat cow. I know I should be saying WOW 23 lbs gone and you are in a size 16....2 sizes down. Nothing I have fits but I am still not seeing a smaller me. Why do we torture ourselves?
But remember...you WILL get there. I didn't see the 'real' me in a mirror until I had lost over 100 pds, and then I remember being astounded. It will happen, just keep plugging away at it. I know you know this, but don't be cruel to yourself. We get enough of that crap from the world around us. You are doing an amazing, courageous thing for your future.
Sewmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:16 PM   #17  
Senior Member
 
MaMaZu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 348

S/C/G: 197.5/143.2/145

Height: 5' 8"

Default

Just thought I'd put my 2 cents worth in here. For sure, any journey has its challenges along the way, and this one is no different. On a positive note, though, I really believe that being in ketosis makes it easier to focus on our food issues without the physical cravings, something I think all of us here appreciate.
MaMaZu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:18 PM   #18  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Sewmam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 980

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaMaZu View Post
Just thought I'd put my 2 cents worth in here. For sure, any journey has its challenges along the way, and this one is no different. On a positive note, though, I really believe that being in ketosis makes it easier to focus on our food issues without the physical cravings, something I think all of us here appreciate.
Good point - I don't remember being hungry much. I missed certain foods, but was not hungry.
Sewmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:37 PM   #19  
Senior Member
 
Samba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Middle of Nowhere!
Posts: 316

S/C/G: 198/154/139

Height: 5'6"

Default

For me this touches all aspects of my life....mental, physical, emotional and spiritual. I have an issue with food. It was not lack of knowledge that got me to the point of needing to lose weight. It is my relationship with food. Definitely my drug of choice ....for sadness, anger, happiness, celebration. I now realize that everyone does not relate to food this way. Some people actually live in a "one cookie" world! What is that?!


This time on IP is also one of self exploration for me. Things have to change! Counselors, workshops, reading, doing my emotional work...any thing that can help is great! Thanks to people for mentioning the books, etc. As I started on this journey, I felt sort of selfish for having to spend the money on my food and take time for myself, etc. Now that is just crazy thinking. It was selfish of me to live in my carb addicted world!!
Samba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:48 PM   #20  
itsallhis
 
Ducksmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 184

S/C/G: 211/179.1/150

Height: 5'0

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewmam View Post
But remember...you WILL get there. I didn't see the 'real' me in a mirror until I had lost over 100 pds, and then I remember being astounded. It will happen, just keep plugging away at it. I know you know this, but don't be cruel to yourself. We get enough of that crap from the world around us. You are doing an amazing, courageous thing for your future.
Thank you Sewmam, I needed to hear this tonight! You don't know what it means to me!
Ducksmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:23 PM   #21  
IP/Atkins Hybrid
 
bethanym's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sunny FL
Posts: 304

S/C/G: 180/ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
For me this touches all aspects of my life....mental, physical, emotional and spiritual. I have an issue with food. It was not lack of knowledge that got me to the point of needing to lose weight. It is my relationship with food. Definitely my drug of choice ....for sadness, anger, happiness, celebration. I now realize that everyone does not relate to food this way. Some people actually live in a "one cookie" world! What is that?!


This time on IP is also one of self exploration for me. Things have to change! Counselors, workshops, reading, doing my emotional work...any thing that can help is great! Thanks to people for mentioning the books, etc. As I started on this journey, I felt sort of selfish for having to spend the money on my food and take time for myself, etc. Now that is just crazy thinking. It was selfish of me to live in my carb addicted world!!
You are so right about the relationship with food. A co-worker had lap band surgery, and still failed to lose any appreciable weight because he was unable to resolve his food relationship issues. He just kept eating the same stuff in smaller quantities, but even more frequently to get his fix.

My sister (size 0/2) lives in that one cookie world, and I have always been jealous, lol. But after I read a couple of books detailing how food manufacturers combine sugar, salt and fat to create a kind of carb endorphin addiction, I realized that the more carbs we eat, the more we crave, and the more addicted we become. She just never ate enough to be come addicted, while I did. Research also showed that my Diet Coke/aspartame addiction was a major player in creating those carb cravings. Then there was my eating out of boredom while watching tv everytime I moved to a new city where I didn't know anyone.

So while some things are stacked against us chemically and emotionally, it is up to us to make the choice to break the addiction and the emotional patterns.
bethanym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:42 PM   #22  
Started IP 12/30/11
 
purple sky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 743

S/C/G: 160/125/130 Phase 4!!!

Height: 5'

Default

That's really interesting. I am a one cookie person. DH is several cookies down from the package (a few years ago). We had been somewhat healthier in recent years but it did not help much. He was also a diet coke, artificial sweetener in his tea person. That wasn't me. One of the interesting things I learned about when I went to the introduction meeting at my IP clinic was that some people put on the weight because of too many carbs. Carb addicts. Frequent carbs, etc. But, others put on weight because their bodies just kinda gave up (now I understand the issue with the insulin and pancreas). DH has carried weight his whole life. I did not. I know I did not eat very healthy but I also did not eat enough to put on as much weight as I did and hold on to it. I think there were times I actually did not eat enough which still stumps me but I might actually eat more on this diet. But, I am also in denial a bit as I have carried this extra weight 10 years. My normal or my perception of my normal is me now and me as I was over a decade ago. I sort of got used to the person I became but never really.
purple sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:55 PM   #23  
Senior Member
 
Samba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Middle of Nowhere!
Posts: 316

S/C/G: 198/154/139

Height: 5'6"

Default

I read something interesting from Dr. Oz regarding the genetics of metabolism and weight gain. It appears that people with certain types of metabolism do best with weight loss diet corresponding to their physiology. There are different reasons that people become obese.

I know my metabolism has its problems with carbs. I have long had abnormal insulin over production. I know that my body/mind has developed an addiction to high carb/high fat foods. I have the corresponding brain responses as that of an addict to drugs. The real bugger about that it is easier to draw the lines with substance abuse. Strict abstinence helps. But, you can"t be abstinent from eating. It is more difficult to determine what to stay away from in order to avoid the priming effect of ingesting a triggering food.

It takes some real work. Our food culture now makes HF/HC addiction inducing foods available at every turn!! I really work at it at home to make the environment helpful. There are no cookies, etc. but I don"t have to leave the house for very long to be surrounded!!

Last edited by Samba; 03-17-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Samba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:09 PM   #24  
IP/Atkins Hybrid
 
bethanym's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sunny FL
Posts: 304

S/C/G: 180/ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple sky View Post
One of the interesting things I learned about when I went to the introduction meeting at my IP clinic was that some people put on the weight because of too many carbs. Carb addicts. Frequent carbs, etc. But, others put on weight because their bodies just kinda gave up (now I understand the issue with the insulin and pancreas). DH has carried weight his whole life. I did not. I know I did not eat very healthy but I also did not eat enough to put on as much weight as I did and hold on to it. I think there were times I actually did not eat enough which still stumps me but I might actually eat more on this diet. But, I am also in denial a bit as I have carried this extra weight 10 years. My normal or my perception of my normal is me now and me as I was over a decade ago. I sort of got used to the person I became but never really.
Anyone with distinct belly fat is insulin resistant, which is why their pancreas gives up...there is a section on that in Dr. Tran's book. Insulin resistance most commonly comes from high carb intake, but there are probably other reasons as well. But it might have taken less carbs on a daily basis for you to become insulin resistant...every body has it's own thresholds!
bethanym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:16 PM   #25  
IP/Atkins Hybrid
 
bethanym's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sunny FL
Posts: 304

S/C/G: 180/ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
I read something interesting from Dr. Oz regarding the genetics of metabolism and weight gain. It appears that people with certain types of metabolism do best with weight loss diet corresponding to their physiology. There are different reasons that people become obese.
That is true, but I think it is more common for people to want it to be something other than they ate too much or they ate the wrong kinds of food. I have a friend that is hypothyroid (as am I), who is grossly overweight but tells everyone it is due to her thyroid (even though she is on meds). Of course there is NO WAY it could possibly be the entire breadbasket and plate of butter that she ate before dinner, or the 3 slices of birthday cake!

Kudos to you for recognizing what your evils are! I know mine are carbs and Diet Coke, and mindless eating in front of the computer. I got rid of the first two, but still eat in front of the computer. However, I can only bring a limited portion of whatever it is....no open bag kind of thing, or I will eat more than I need to!

Plus I need to move more. Today I cleaned carpets, and tomorrow I am going for a walk on the beach.
bethanym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:36 PM   #26  
Senior Member
 
Samba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Middle of Nowhere!
Posts: 316

S/C/G: 198/154/139

Height: 5'6"

Default

Along the lines of neuroplasticity and the ability of the brain to change itself, I would really like to learn more about "emotional brain training" to treat compulsive eating.

Just watched a video about it from USC.

http://www.uctv.tv/search-details.aspx?showID=18565


Sure, I eat to much. But, there are very real reasons that are behind that and they are legitimate.

Last edited by Samba; 03-17-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Samba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:03 AM   #27  
IP/Atkins Hybrid
 
bethanym's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sunny FL
Posts: 304

S/C/G: 180/ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Sure, I eat to much. But, there are very real reasons that are behind that and they are legitimate.
But it's also about what you eat....you can eat TONS of veggies and still not gain weight. If I have munchie cravings now, I let myself eat as many radishes as I want, because they sure won't impact me much from a calorie or insulin standpoint.

You did just remind me that I bought a hypnosis session through Groupon that I haven't used! I was going to use it for getting rid of my Diet Coke addiction, but I pretty much have that under control. Maybe I'll use it for anti-carb or exercise reinforcement instead.
bethanym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:21 AM   #28  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Sewmam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 980

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

Default

I love this discussion! It is what will help us in the long run. I have read so much on carbs and aspartame and nutrition and diet and....then I'd forget it 5 minutes later because my attention span is as big as a flea.

What I do know is that I've been heavy since I was a kid, taunted as a kid, felt lousy and ugly and stupid and that led to bad choices later in life. That little kid is still in there and pokes her head out sometimes, despite my best efforts. My deepest hope is to unite all aspects of my life, my body, my dreams...and make conscious, joyous choices every minute. Choose life, choose healthy. Every time I make a good choice, I feel a little tickle of joy that says 'it will be okay, you are okay!' If I falter, then I examine, forgive and try to move on with resolution and love.

I'm sounding a bit corny this morning... haha... just had my oatmeal and yogurt and blueberries, so I'm very happy.
Sewmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:24 AM   #29  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Sewmam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 980

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksmy View Post
Thank you Sewmam, I needed to hear this tonight! You don't know what it means to me!
okay, now you've got me tearing up! have a great day!
Sewmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #30  
Senior Member
 
mtnsun4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 292

S/C/G: 266/218/150

Height: 5'8"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
I read something interesting from Dr. Oz regarding the genetics of metabolism and weight gain. It appears that people with certain types of metabolism do best with weight loss diet corresponding to their physiology. There are different reasons that people become obese.

I know my metabolism has its problems with carbs. I have long had abnormal insulin over production. I know that my body/mind has developed an addiction to high carb/high fat foods. I have the corresponding brain responses as that of an addict to drugs. The real bugger about that it is easier to draw the lines with substance abuse. Strict abstinence helps. But, you can"t be abstinent from eating. It is more difficult to determine what to stay away from in order to avoid the priming effect of ingesting a triggering food.

It takes some real work. Our food culture now makes HF/HC addiction inducing foods available at every turn!! I really work at it at home to make the environment helpful. There are no cookies, etc. but I don"t have to leave the house for very long to be surrounded!!
Like! Thank you for sharing this. I relate.
mtnsun4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Introductions to those of us on Ideal Protein showgirlaz Ideal Protein Diet 523 08-19-2011 08:58 AM
Do you ever feel like this is actually driving you CRAZY??? famograham 100 lb. Club 40 09-04-2010 11:02 AM
I'm fat I get it ... Can we move on with the day? Nicoyaangel PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support 13 03-22-2010 04:05 PM
Let's support each other II on our weight loss journey - we ran out of room to post!! derrydaughter Weight Watchers 211 09-08-2004 01:05 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:58 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.