3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Alternative Discussions Here (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/254659-alternative-discussions-here.html)

carolirish 03-19-2012 09:52 AM

Sweeteners. I cannot get splenda here in Holland. What should I be looking for in sweeteners? I'm using Candarel. Do I avoid sucralose? Asparatame? I can order some Stevia on line, but store bought sweeteners can someone give me some tips. Thanks Carol

CassiR 03-19-2012 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leelhyn (Post 4258563)
Looking at the attached spreadsheet, there are items that has more that 8g of carbs but are not restricted? If carbs are not the basis, then what is?

I use net carbs, taking fiber from the carbohydrates since fiber isnt absorbed and won't spike up our blood glucose.

In other words, say the Total Carbohydrates count is 6g and the Dietary Fiber is 1g, the net carbs would be 5g making it a non-restricted item.

Keep in mind those items should still have low calories and if it has a lot of sugars or sucralose in it, they can cause cravings if using them often.

leelhyn 03-19-2012 10:17 AM

I am still confused. So if anything less dan 6g if carbs how mucb fats & sugar shoult it have to be unrestricted? I got a lot of diff answers to tjis
Some said carbs has to be below 8g,some 7g to be unrestricted. But then there are other factors to cobsider as well such as fats & sugar. Can someone pls enlighten as as to how to determine if an item is restricted or not? How many calories, carbs, fats, & sugardoes it have to be unrestricted??????

wuv2bloved 03-19-2012 03:47 PM

ALL bars are restricted, oatmeal, pancakes.....The spreadsheet is there for a reason ...use it. We don't know the reasoning behind why they are restricted or not, we just follow the sheet. Y'all are making this WAY TOO COMPLICATED, there is NOTHING to figure out....its all DONE FOR YOU.....STRESSING for NO REASON!

patns 03-19-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leelhyn (Post 4259009)
I am still confused. So if anything less dan 6g if carbs how mucb fats & sugar shoult it have to be unrestricted? I got a lot of diff answers to tjis
Some said carbs has to be below 8g,some 7g to be unrestricted. But then there are other factors to cobsider as well such as fats & sugar. Can someone pls enlighten as as to how to determine if an item is restricted or not? How many calories, carbs, fats, & sugardoes it have to be unrestricted??????

You are making this far more complicated than it needs to be. When I switched from IP foods to alternatives I just went to the spreadsheets. The one Cassie attached on post #88 on this thread gives you all the information you need. I just looked at an IP product I liked then looked at an alternative of the same type. I compared the numbers for calories, fat, carbs and protein. If those numbers were close ordered that alternative.

On the IP foods there are items at 9 carbs which are not restricted so I took that as the cut off number for non restricted.
My weight loss continued the same as it was on IP so the comparisons must have been accurate.

Whoops, just realized WUV is right about some of the oatmeal. I had been using the Proti-thin maple oatmeal which I think is 7 carbs so not restricted. But I just realized the latest ones I got are maple brown sugar oatmeal and are 10 carbs and so are restricted.

Also a question. On that spreedsheet it shows the IP wildberry yogurt is restricted but only has 5 carbs and the rest of the numbers are quite low. It it really a restricted?

Pat

wuv2bloved 03-19-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patns (Post 4259606)
You are making this far more complicated than it needs to be. When I switched from IP foods to alternatives I just went to the spreadsheets. The one Cassie attached on post #88 on this thread gives you all the information you need. I just looked at an IP product I liked then looked at an alternative of the same type. I compared the numbers for calories, fat, carbs and protein. If those numbers were close ordered that alternative.

On the IP foods there are items at 9 carbs which are not restricted so I took that as the cut off number for non restricted.
My weight loss continued the same as it was on IP so the comparisons must have been accurate.

Whoops, just realized WUV is right about some of the oatmeal. I had been using the Proti-thin maple oatmeal which I think is 7 carbs so not restricted. But I just realized the latest ones I got are maple brown sugar oatmeal and are 10 carbs and so are restricted.

Also a question. On that spreedsheet it shows the IP wildberry yogurt is restricted but only has 5 carbs and the rest of the numbers are quite low. It it really a restricted?

Pat

Pat as far as I know it is NOT restricted!

patns 03-19-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wuv2bloved (Post 4259620)
Pat as far as I know it is NOT restricted!

Thanks, I thought that must have been an error on the spreadsheet. It had really low numbers all round except for good protein.

chrishas 03-19-2012 05:10 PM

I've only been doing the Alternatives and weighed in another 5.6 lighter today.:D

One of the things that I've noticed over the years is that it doesn't matter what the sweetener is, whether it's sugar or a sugar substitute is that my cravings for sweet things increase the more I have. So I make an effort to limit any sweet tasting item on a regular basis. Just like I've learned to take my coffee or tea without sweetener.

I've also had a problem with stevia and splenda in that it gives me nasty gas, so I've had a few coke zero's and it hasn't affected my weight loss. I only drink a 1 or 2 a week so I feel it's not such a big deal for me.

Plus, I've ordered a bunch of Proti-diet items for the first time and I'm looking forward to trying them.

mamacitaof2 03-20-2012 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrishas (Post 4259685)
I've only been doing the Alternatives and weighed in another 5.6 lighter today.:D

One of the things that I've noticed over the years is that it doesn't matter what the sweetener is, whether it's sugar or a sugar substitute is that my cravings for sweet things increase the more I have. So I make an effort to limit any sweet tasting item on a regular basis. Just like I've learned to take my coffee or tea without sweetener.

I've also had a problem with stevia and splenda in that it gives me nasty gas, so I've had a few coke zero's and it hasn't affected my weight loss. I only drink a 1 or 2 a week so I feel it's not such a big deal for me.

Plus, I've ordered a bunch of Proti-diet items for the first time and I'm looking forward to trying them.

Congratulations! I also noticed that my cravings increase with artificial sweetners. I was using Mio a lot and found it increased my cravings. I eliminated it and the cravings stopped for the most part. They revisit during TOM, but that's it.

vicknops 03-20-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wuv2bloved (Post 4259578)
ALL bars are restricted, oatmeal, pancakes.....The spreadsheet is there for a reason ...use it. We don't know the reasoning behind why they are restricted or not, we just follow the sheet. Y'all are making this WAY TOO COMPLICATED, there is NOTHING to figure out....its all DONE FOR YOU.....STRESSING for NO REASON!

I definitely agree! I have been using the compare sheet I downloaded when you posted it on another thread, and am averaging about 5 pounds a week-not going to question:D

wuv2bloved 03-20-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vicknops (Post 4260920)
I definitely agree! I have been using the compare sheet I downloaded when you posted it on another thread, and am averaging about 5 pounds a week-not going to question:D

Why question what works right? its all figured out for you, not that difficult that is for sure.....lol

Chloe222 03-20-2012 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patns (Post 4259606)

Pat

Proti-Diet Maple Brown Sugar oatmeal has 6 carbs, 100 cal. Nice!

shiipa 03-20-2012 06:56 PM

Some items don't give the amount of sugar alcohol they contain. That scares me a little and I have avoided ordering those items. What is the cut off for sugar alcohol in bars or other items?

Chloe222 03-20-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shiipa (Post 4261272)
Some items don't give the amount of sugar alcohol they contain. That scares me a little and I have avoided ordering those items. What is the cut off for sugar alcohol in bars or other items?

If you go onto the Nashua Nutrition website, you can look at any of the foods, get the nutritional info inc ingredients list. I'm also being careful about sugars.

leelhyn 03-20-2012 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wuv2bloved (Post 4261126)
Why question what works right? its all figured out for you, not that difficult that is for sure.....lol

Alternatives are not only about finding ways to save money, but also to have a variety of food that IP offers while getting the same results. Knowing the logic behind identifying restrictive or not will not only give you an array of food option but also gives you the knowledge for a long term success by being able to determine what you can have .The spreadsheet is in no doubt a wonderful tool, that is not a question at all. With this, has anyone tried these?

http://www.dietdirect.com/weight-los...-meals-18.html