3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Alternative Discussions Here (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/254659-alternative-discussions-here.html)

patns 03-24-2012 01:52 PM

I copied this from another thread which was moving down on the board.

alternative question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know so many of you people have and still are having success doing

alternatives, my question is can one have to much protein

i see on some of the drink they have 30 grams of protein...so how much

is too much..

Thanks all in advance. have a great ideal weekend.

I read somewhere on this board that a person should have the number of grams of protein which is the number which is half of your weight.
In my case that is 65 grams.

I have used the Premier Nutrition protein drinks. They have 30 grams of protein. My weight loss has stopped for the last month. That may be because this is what my body decides is my goal. But a big change I made was that I bought a case of muscle milk lite instead of the Premier drinks because it was lower in calories but also lower in protein. I think that switching to the lower protein drink first thing in the morning contributed to that stop in weight loss.

Porthardygurl 03-24-2012 05:03 PM

Well Patns,

I really wish i could have liked all the packets from nashua and other places but i dont ??? It tastes very....chemically?? I dont know if its just me or what..i feel like i can taste splenda in the tiniest amount of stuff..People told me that my taste buds would change, but it never did..In fact, when someone told me that the caramal nut bars and caramal crunch bars and lemon bars and all the chocolate caramal bars were good...i went bananas and i bought three packs of different bars...and i hated them all..there wasnt one good tasting bar..especially the caramal nut bar by nashua...blah!!! The walnuts in them tasted so bitter to me, it left a horrible after taste in my mouth...I was like "this has to go". I have wasted so much money on packets..trying to find good ones.. At first i was all about the pudding packets from nashua..i died and went to heaven with the chocolate one...and would even add a little sea salt to it to make it salty sweet...but time went by and less than a month passed and i couldnt take a bite without gagging...so i tried the blueberry pancakes..tasted dry and rubbery and fake...then i tried the bars...same thing...tasted chemically...in fact..it was the chicken noodle soup that was the only one i actually liked...I mean.. i tried some of the shakes and the fruit concentrate liquid and nothing..the omlette was one of the only one's besides the soup...Maybe i just cant deal with the taste of sucralose anymore? I cant even drink diet pop cause of the sucralose..I used to love diet coke...

You are right about the fish...90 calories per fillet...im addicted to fish!! it tastes so good with a squirt of lime and paprika and sea salt..and mm.. i love my broccoli..one thing im wary about..kale chips... I pass the kale in the grocery store and im always looking at it thinking i will try it..but i cant seem to convince myself to take it home..the idea of putting a lettuce looking thing in an oven to cook and go crispy?? i dont know....

serendipityberry 03-24-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patns (Post 4265993)
I copied this from another thread which was moving down on the board.

alternative question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know so many of you people have and still are having success doing

alternatives, my question is can one have to much protein

i see on some of the drink they have 30 grams of protein...so how much

is too much..

Thanks all in advance. have a great ideal weekend.

I read somewhere on this board that a person should have the number of grams of protein which is the number which is half of your weight.
In my case that is 65 grams.

I have used the Premier Nutrition protein drinks. They have 30 grams of protein. My weight loss has stopped for the last month. That may be because this is what my body decides is my goal. But a big change I made was that I bought a case of muscle milk lite instead of the Premier drinks because it was lower in calories but also lower in protein. I think that switching to the lower protein drink first thing in the morning contributed to that stop in weight loss.

If you had 3 of those drinks/day instead of the IP drinks, based on the increase of protein alone you would be consuming an extra 120 calories. That is not including more for any fat or added carbs. This is because 1 gm of protein carries 3 cals. So while that might not sound too bad, over a week it may slow your wt loss by 0.3 lb or so. At the end of the day, it is the calorie restriction that creates weight loss, so any product w/more pro/cho/fat then the IP product will "slow" your wt loss. Hope this makes sense :p

Sewmam 03-24-2012 05:27 PM

If the protein drinks you are getting don't have enough protein, you could add plain soy powder. I found some that has no carbs, and 22 g protein in a scoop.

I tried making the kale chips in the oven and you really have to watch that the don't burn. They also had that cruciferous aftertaste that I hated, but am going to try them in the microwave with some spices on it, so maybe that will be better. I really want to like them, as they have lots of good health benefits.

patns 03-24-2012 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serendipityberry (Post 4266178)
If you had 3 of those drinks/day instead of the IP drinks, based on the increase of protein alone you would be consuming an extra 120 calories. That is not including more for any fat or added carbs. This is because 1 gm of protein carries 3 cals. So while that might not sound too bad, over a week it may slow your wt loss by 0.3 lb or so. At the end of the day, it is the calorie restriction that creates weight loss, so any product w/more pro/cho/fat then the IP product will "slow" your wt loss. Hope this makes sense :p

No I only have a drink once a day. I never thought about people who use them for every meal. It would be unlikely anyone would have these more than once a day because the cal count is high.
Actualy I think other factors than calorie count really kick in. I am one who gains on WW and I was on very low points on that which comes out to low calories also.

patns 03-24-2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sewmam (Post 4266185)
If the protein drinks you are getting don't have enough protein, you could add plain soy powder. I found some that has no carbs, and 22 g protein in a scoop.

I tried making the kale chips in the oven and you really have to watch that the don't burn. They also had that cruciferous aftertaste that I hated, but am going to try them in the microwave with some spices on it, so maybe that will be better. I really want to like them, as they have lots of good health benefits.

I was excited to see at a health store that they had bags of kale chips in individual sizes. Then I read the ingredients, over 200 calories for a handful of chips. They were all different flavours so I don't know what all they had put on them.

patns 03-24-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porthardygurl (Post 4266173)
Well Patns,

I really wish i could have liked all the packets from nashua and other places but i dont ??? It tastes very....chemically?? I dont know if its just me or what..i feel like i can taste splenda in the tiniest amount of stuff..People told me that my taste buds would change, but it never did..In fact, when someone told me that the caramal nut bars and caramal crunch bars and lemon bars and all the chocolate caramal bars were good...i went bananas and i bought three packs of different bars...and i hated them all..there wasnt one good tasting bar..especially the caramal nut bar by nashua...blah!!! The walnuts in them tasted so bitter to me, it left a horrible after taste in my mouth...I was like "this has to go". I have wasted so much money on packets..trying to find good ones.. At first i was all about the pudding packets from nashua..i died and went to heaven with the chocolate one...and would even add a little sea salt to it to make it salty sweet...but time went by and less than a month passed and i couldnt take a bite without gagging...so i tried the blueberry pancakes..tasted dry and rubbery and fake...then i tried the bars...same thing...tasted chemically...in fact..it was the chicken noodle soup that was the only one i actually liked...I mean.. i tried some of the shakes and the fruit concentrate liquid and nothing..the omlette was one of the only one's besides the soup...Maybe i just cant deal with the taste of sucralose anymore? I cant even drink diet pop cause of the sucralose..I used to love diet coke...

You are right about the fish...90 calories per fillet...im addicted to fish!! it tastes so good with a squirt of lime and paprika and sea salt..and mm.. i love my broccoli..one thing im wary about..kale chips... I pass the kale in the grocery store and im always looking at it thinking i will try it..but i cant seem to convince myself to take it home..the idea of putting a lettuce looking thing in an oven to cook and go crispy?? i dont know....

Port you must have a sensitivity to something in the packaged stuff. I have discovered I get a really bad chemical taste from the ones with sugar alcohol in them. The stuff that doesn't have sugar alcohol in it tastes fine to me even though they have other artificial ingredients in them.

If I lived where you do and if I liked fish as much as you do I'd really go with that as my first choice too.

Pat

CassiR 03-24-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patns (Post 4266194)
I was excited to see at a health store that they had bags of kale chips in individual sizes. Then I read the ingredients, over 200 calories for a handful of chips. They were all different flavours so I don't know what all they had put on them.

I seen them at our local Whole Foods and they had a whole end cap full of different brands and flavors. Some spicy, some with cheese, and some plain. They looked good but wow they were expensive!

Sewmam 03-24-2012 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patns (Post 4266194)

wow...the kale itself wouldn't have that kind of calorie count. must be the oil or some other coating like corn starch or cheese? if you make them yourself, you can use that spray olive oil stuff and minimize the calories.

susyqxxxx 03-24-2012 08:42 PM

Thanks so much for answering my question Serendipityberry, this will

help me lots, right now i`m drinking 2 of the high protein drinks a day,

so far it hasn`t affected my weigh lose, actually , i lost 3.5 pounds this

week, since i switched to alternatives.

have a great week-end all, keep the loses going..

patns 03-24-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sewmam (Post 4266251)
wow...the kale itself wouldn't have that kind of calorie count. must be the oil or some other coating like corn starch or cheese? if you make them yourself, you can use that spray olive oil stuff and minimize the calories.

I have made the kale chips but thought it would be great to get them ready made. But the premade ones are filled with artificial stuff. It's surprising they were selling them as a healthy option but with everything they put on them they don't seem much healthier than potato chips. And yes they were ridiculously expensive.

mtnsun4 03-24-2012 09:29 PM

I drink 1 Premier Protein drink a day, along with other alternative items. The only IP products I still buy is the dark chocolate pudding and the snacks. And, I can say I lost 3 lbs this past week. So, I am enjoying this new plan of eating for myself and saving money! :)

Porthardygurl 03-24-2012 09:45 PM

I concur...the kale chips store bought must have additives and other junk to make it high cal...

See im not a huge fan of the green leafy stuff...i dont mind spinich if its cooked..but with those mixed green salads.. i cant tolerate them..in fact my mouth actually hurts from eating them..so i wonder if i would react the same to the kale? I heard some people put viniger and sea salt on top of their kale..i thought the acid would have done something to it..but i guess not.

Tinawebb 03-25-2012 01:44 PM

Alternative products

Will the coaches get upset if you do not purchase all of your food from them? Do they work on a commission?

wuv2bloved 03-25-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinawebb (Post 4266851)
Will the coaches get upset if you do not purchase all of your food from them? Do they work on a commission?

They buy the box for a certain amount then mark it up so I don't think its commission. If you can't afford to get all of the IP products they can't get made at you for that. There are several people I know that buy a few IP products then buy some alternatives.