Old 02-21-2012, 01:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

Default Staying Regular/Digestion issues

Hey all,

I've had problems staying regular all my life and it has definitely been worse since being on a protein-based diet. I never used to eat meat everyday.

I use plain psyllium powder everyday and have had to keep increasing the amount and still have problems. Have used stool softeners but hestitate to do it everyday. I added butyrate and ran out of it. Not sure if it helped or not.

I used the IP Novilax, but it's too expensive and it's really just psyllium, a small amount at that. Just bought some digestive enzymes, as I'm in the beginning of Phase 2 and that means even more meat. They may help, but the brand I got at the clinic, Metagenics, is good, but too spendy long-term.

So, my question to you all is, what do you do? What can I get over-the-counter that is not too expensive?
Sewmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 294.6/see ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

I've had a horrible time with the big C since starting IP... was up to taking 6 floralax, 4 probiotics, sometimes adding 2 novilax...not much helped.

I cut down my cal/mag to only 2 a day (with breakfast) and that has helped TREMENDOUSLY... i know i get less vitamins but it was becoming way too much of a problem. Now i still take 4 floralax and 4 probiotics in a day but now they work vs before nothing did (even ex-lax didn't help).
Busymomx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:38 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 239/227/135

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewmam View Post
Hey all,

I've had problems staying regular all my life and it has definitely been worse since being on a protein-based diet. I never used to eat meat everyday.

I use plain psyllium powder everyday and have had to keep increasing the amount and still have problems. Have used stool softeners but hestitate to do it everyday. I added butyrate and ran out of it. Not sure if it helped or not.

I used the IP Novilax, but it's too expensive and it's really just psyllium, a small amount at that. Just bought some digestive enzymes, as I'm in the beginning of Phase 2 and that means even more meat. They may help, but the brand I got at the clinic, Metagenics, is good, but too spendy long-term.

So, my question to you all is, what do you do? What can I get over-the-counter that is not too expensive?
Do you eat much lettuce? I have found that plain old iceberg lettuce helps keep me regular. If that doesn't help you, epsom salts is a very inexpensive natural laxative.
MustangMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

I too have had a lifelong C problem which got worse with IP. I use Novi-Lax two per day. It works once per week...so I guess it really doesn't work too well. If I get to the point of feeling nausea I get CVS magnesium citrate and it cleans me right out! Then I go back to having problems...all the veggies in the world won't help me either...
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:47 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 170/131/122

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewmam View Post
Hey all,

I have had problems most of my life as well. Various fiber supplements have never really helped.

I found increasing my water intake really helped, also:

I use Natural Vitality Calm for my restless legs and cramping, but it also does wonders for ones regularity. As a matter of fact you have to 'ease' into.

Its a magnesium powder supplement. I add it to my morning and evening tea.
SarianeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 288(WLS)/160/150

Height: 5' 6.25"

I have had this issue also since the beginning. I take a probiotic, softener and have had to use the magesium citrate once. Not a good time. I drink lots of water and eat all of my veggies. I am going to try to cut back on the cal mags to see if that will help. I am a restart from mid January and when I phased off the program my first time, it got better almost immediately. So am hoping I can hang in there and keep things as regular as possible until I am done. I am adding some walking which also should help too. The big C is one of the first things they tell you about when introducing the program....at least my coach told me. Not that it matters...still not fun...
terrid61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #7  
New to IP Program

S/C/G: 223/208/160

Height: 5'9"

Wow this sounds familiar. I have also had problems all my life. I use a product called "Super Cleanse." It works without cramping but I have to warn you...I have to take 10 to 12 pills a day to keep regular. I know that is a lot!
TinaCleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 162/162/140

Height: 5'1"

I also have had constipation problems my whole life. I take Miralax every morning in my coffee. My doctor said it was fine and if I needed to, I could add another dose later in the day.
pegv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:50 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 146/131/128

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarianeC View Post
I use Natural Vitality Calm for my restless legs and cramping, but it also does wonders for ones regularity. As a matter of fact you have to 'ease' into.

Its a magnesium powder supplement. I add it to my morning and evening tea.
I also use CALM every morning and night. It helps. Try some extra vitamin C. And tons of lettuce. Good luck, the "big C" really stinks Try not to use novilax quite so much, you may be making your bowels "lazy".
lkander2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #10  
Started IP 1/10/12

S/C/G: 175.2/146.6/130

I had slow digestion before starting IP as well. When I first started IP it got pretty bad and I ended up resorting to the CitraCal drink. It worked, although it was awful and I hope to never use it again. Right after that though, I started using Benefibre in my tea. I figured it'd be a good time to start since the proverbial slate was clean. Anyways, it has been working for me, I need between 2-3 tablespoons a day (the instructions call for teaspoons, but that still was not enough for me). I did on one instance take ExLax, but have otherwise been able to stay quite regular with the high amount of Benefibre. Oh and I also cut my CalMag pills back to two per day rather than four like we are supposed to. That was my coach's suggestion. I don't think I'll be adding them in since this seems to be working for me. Hope you're able to find something that works for you, I know how miserable it feels to be dealing with the big C
tenniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 190/176.2/135

Height: 5'3"

I use Miralax when I need it. It seems to help for a week - 10 days before I need another dose.
NavyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #12  

Thanks everybody. I do eat a big salad every dinner and have started adding a smaller salad at lunch as well. Head lettuce and romaine - cheap and they stay crunchy longer. I think I've always had a lazy colon.

The psyllium I use is plain - the metamucil has either sugar in it, or the sugar-free with flavorings I don't like. Both that and Benefiber are just psyillium with either sugar or flavorings. I too take more than the tsp - more like 2 tblsp.

I had read that butyrate, derived from butter, can help with colon health. Since my mom died of colon cancer, I want to be as proactive as I can.

The Novilax actually has aloe in it, so I found aloe gel. Wasn't sure of carbs so I'm waiting on it until I'm in phase 4.

Since the IP packets are supposed to be easier to digest than actual meat, my coach suggested that now that I am adding even more meat, I try some digestive enzymes, so I'll try them and see how it works. I'll post on it after they run out. I also intend to start figuring out how to cook tofu and non-meat alternatives that may be easier to digest....when I'm in Phase 4.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:46 PM   #13  
Started IP 1/10/12

S/C/G: 175.2/146.6/130

The Benefibre I bought is non-flavored and doesn't have sugar in it. Just B-vitamins and inulin fibre. My coach had recommended it to me, and I just did a double check and no sugar. I may be wrong, but as far as I know Inulin fibre and psyillium fibre are two different things? Sorry that doesn't seem to work for you. After I dealt with the problem and used the Benefibre for maintaining my bowels I have been good.
tenniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #14  

I'll look for that Benefibre - maybe there are different kinds? Where did you get yours? Thanks!
Old 02-21-2012, 07:20 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 170/138/130

Height: 5'8"

My answer is somewhat controversial...do your own research before trying...but you can google "salt water flush". Works for me for occasional C, maybe not a great solution for regular problems.
bigpassport is offline   Reply With Quote