Old 09-25-2011, 10:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/210/150

Height: 5'8''

Default 2nd day relapse :(

Hi all,

I started my alternative diet yesterday and think I did okay overall. I had ProtiDiet hot cocoa for breakfast, a BariWise soup for lunch, and 2 EAS shakes as snacks (so 4 packets and 1 self-made meal). I had only about 2 cups of veggies but I also had a cup of lettuce with cilantro dressing (from Trader Joes: 2 tbsp = 45 cal, 3.5g fat, 2g carb). I also had a sip of beer because my boyfriend is a home brewer and just wanted me to try. Supplement wise, I took one multivitamin, 3 potassium citrate, and 3 cal-mag-zinc (I checked with IP and all dosages were comparable). This is just to let everyone know what I'm working with.

Today I followed the same routine, except I knew I was going to be at a potluck dinner tonight. I prepared myself by taking sliced cucumbers and peppers in a ziploc along with a shake. Before heading over, I began to get a really bad headache and was feeling really nauseous on the hour-long drive. I ate some of my cucumbers on the road but I had to stop the car and I just vomited them back up. When I finally got to the house, I felt so horrible, and didn't want to be sick in front of my co-workers so I just went in for a slice of cake and a piece of fried chicken (I know I know, but there were really no healthy options--it was a potluck!). I still felt nauseated every time I put food in my mouth but gradually my headache went away and I felt more energized. By the end of the night, the nausea was gone as well.

Guys, I need some morale here. I tried to prepare myself the best I could mentally for this lifestyle change, but I feel like I've already failed in a way. I was going to continue tomorrow anyways but it's already looking tough. I'm a college student and I don't have a meal plan, so I'm either cooking or on most days eating out. My budget is low, which is why I opted for the alternative plan, but I've already got a month's worth of supplies. I want to continue, I think this is such a promising lifestyle change and so many people on this board have had inspiring results, I really would like the same for myself. But my mind and body seem to be needing more sustenance! Not sure what to do right now... Have I already stopped my body from working its way into ketosis? How can I prevent another relapse?
QuietSplendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 252/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

I'm not on the IP diet so I have no specific advice about the plan, but I just wanted to say that as long as you wake up tomorrow and do your honest to goodness best to stay on plan then YOU HAVE NOT FAILED. Failure is not falling off plan, failure is not trying to get back on plan.

This is a long and difficult process and sometimes you're not going to stay on plan perfectly, I know I haven't. But the important thing is to bounce back (and at least in my case, not beat myself up over it, because that would just lead to more emotional eating...). Remember, you CAN do this!
spetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:13 PM   #3  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

I've only been on the plan a little over a week and the first several days can be really difficult. I started on a Friday knowing that I might feel bad for a few days and sure enough I did. I went no where that whole weekend. My daughter who is also a college student is starting next Friday as she wants to get the worst part of it over the weekend too and not during the week when she has classes.

I have been on low carb diets before, and I found this withdrawl period to be pretty difficult, but you can do it. Yes cake provided your body with carbs so that will kick you out of ketosis, but start again tomorrow just hang in there and do not put yourself in any social situations the first week at least where certain types of foods are really tempting and you are still really hungry. Once in ketosis the hunger and cravings will get a lot better.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:54 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

That early on you were not in ketosis anyway. All you can do is bite the bullet and get through the tough first days. After that it is much easier.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:48 AM   #5  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

If you are getting a headache next time try licking some sea salt off of the palm of your hand. Your electorlites may have gotten low. You can do this just stick with it. You may have to have 4 proteins instead of the 3 for a few weeks to get used of the change. Like the above poster said YOU HAVE NOT FAILED! pick up yourself, brush off the stumble and move on to tomorrow, it will be better!
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:03 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 206/185/135

Height: 5'5"

I just have to say how amazing you all are by giving such supporting words. I had a rough weekend and just by reading these posts it helps me feel so much better. I am so glad I found this forum and you wonderful ladies.
JulsD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:17 AM   #7  
Started IP 2/25/2011...

S/C/G: 204.5/ 145.0 /145.0

Height: 5' 5.5"

Hi there. Yes, the first few days are rough. Get back up. Start over. The others here had good tips... Pick a start date that you know won't interfere with social situations. There will be plenty of potlucks while you are on this diet. You will take food that everyone will eat and enjoy, and that is OP for you. However, don't do that to yourself during the first few days. You need your quiet so that you can get past the worst of the carb withdrawal... Your body will thank you in the end, but it's definitely a detox. Sugar is poison... You are withdrawing from that. Give yourself the time and peace/quiet to do that in private.

And good luck! You found a great place for support.
Pxlkitty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:40 AM   #8  
Carrielee

S/C/G: 227/190/160

Height: 5'3"

licking the salt always helped with my headaches.
Carrielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:19 PM   #9  
OP 6/5/11

S/C/G: 252/197/195

Height: 6'3"

Also, be sure to drink enough water - at least 1/2 your weight in ounces. I find when I drink enough water, everything is better.

Good luck getting through the first week - it isn't easy but it is way worth it. Point forward when you stumble a little you can pick right up and go on.

Stay Strong!
kellyg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:14 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 197.6/194.6/140

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetty View Post
I'm not on the IP diet so I have no specific advice about the plan, but I just wanted to say that as long as you wake up tomorrow and do your honest to goodness best to stay on plan then YOU HAVE NOT FAILED. Failure is not falling off plan, failure is not trying to get back on plan.

This is a long and difficult process and sometimes you're not going to stay on plan perfectly, I know I haven't. But the important thing is to bounce back (and at least in my case, not beat myself up over it, because that would just lead to more emotional eating...). Remember, you CAN do this!
Thank you for that sage advice! I love your optimism in your saying that failure is not trying to get back on. I really needed to hear that.
Greekgirldea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:17 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 210/210/150

Height: 5'8''

Thank you all for such supportive words! If it weren't for such lovely advice and encouragement, I wouldn't have made it through today, day #3. I prepared myself much better today by packing veggies and munching on them between classes. I had two eggs in the morning, shake for lunch, soup for dinner and hot cocoa as a snack. Definitely was craving something more wholesome today though so I went on Amazon and ordered Pure Protein bars in 'Smores to have later this week. All of the protein bars I noticed though, have around 20g of carb. Can I only eat these once a week?
QuietSplendor is offline   Reply With Quote