Old 07-12-2011, 11:58 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 248/239/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Help With Batwings!

I am ready to start doing some toning - especially on my upper arms (bat wings)! I live in a very rural area - it would be about an hour's drive to a gym or an exercise class, so that's not going to happen. Are there any exercises or weight type training that you have done at home or that could be done at home with a minimum purchase of equipment? Books, videos, etc that could help. I did do some weight training in High School but don't remember much about it as that was a looooong time ago! Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
jd447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:11 PM   #2  
Started IP 2/15/11

S/C/G: 328/265/180

Height: 5' 9.5"

Hello from the other side of the mountains. Where do you live in Eastern WA?

I just read the articles on loose skin in the articles section of 3FC home pages. There is some good info there.

I bought a bodyblade from QVC about three months ago, and am going to start using it for toning. They also have a website www.bodyblade.com
A friend who is a physical therapist told me that it can be quite effective for toning. The couple of times I have used it, I could tell I exercised!!!

You could also google exercise plans. You might be overwhelmed, but there is probably lots of good info on the web.

Good luck!!!
smpnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 175/127/125

Height: 5'5"

Tricep dips. This is the most tricep-specific move that I know of that you can do anywhere. (you can look it up for a description, or watch a youtube video). It doesn't require any excercise equipment (you can use some sort of a surface that is not on the ground.. couch for example)

Also push-ups. These target more than your arms of course, but in the end you do feel the burn there as well.
Gika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:25 PM   #4  
aka CAT

S/C/G: 212.4/204.6/170

Height: 5'-10"

Pushups and planks. Pushups (on your knees)....Start at the highest rep that you feel comfortable with and then add a few more each day. You can even do pushups off the wall. Find a good youtube video for proper alignment. Great for the entire upper body. Planks...work on holding for 30 sec each. Works the entire body, especially the core.

Good luck!
gettinmygrooveback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:57 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 243.6/196.4/165

Height: 5'5"

If you have a free weight you could do tricep extentions. I use 10-15 pounds. Holding the weight move your arms straight up towards the sky and then lower the weight behind your head. It works them pretty well. But I second tricep dips as well.
murleya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:00 PM   #6  

It sorta depends on your age, I think, whether or not those batwings will ever go away completely... but at 62, even I think I am seeing some improvement in that area... I do triceps extensions, dips, & other resistance exercises involving the triceps, & have been doing them for several months... but I didn't really start to see the batwings going away 'til I started doing fascial stretching... it's not your regular ol' 5 or 10 second triceps stretch -- it's holding the stretch for at least 30 seconds, but most often about a minute... it's uncomfortable, perhaps even a little painful, but you'd be surprised at the results... this is from The Weight Loss Diet & Exercise Guru:
The fascia is one of six internal tissues of the body, along with muscles, tendons, bones, joints, and ligaments. It is a thick, fibrous sheet that envelops individual muscles and groups of muscles and, like a divider, separates their layers and groupings. Under the skin, it also separates the subcutaneous fat layer from the deep fat layer. Stretching the fascia opens up the spaces surrounding the muscle, giving it more room to grow. Inwardly, greater growth leads to firmer, shapelier muscles; outwardly, it produces tighter, smoother skin. Fascial stretching also enhances the health and flexibility of connective tissue. Flexible connective tissue retains its elasticity, an important component of a youthful, cellulite-resistant body.
Of course, be careful, don't stretch to the point of any real pain... & don't do it every day... google "fascia stretching" for more info... it appears that lots of bodybuilders do fascial stretching...

hugs

Last edited by Aunt Sheshie; 07-12-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Aunt Sheshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:43 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 248/239/160

Height: 5'6"

Thanks everyone. That's what I was looking for. I need to start getting up 1/2 hour earlier in the morning and doing some toning exercise. I am also trying to talk myself into the Couch to 5K training!

smpnew - I am in Eastern Washington about 1/2 way between Moses Lake, Spokane & Tri-Cities. About an hour from anywhere!
jd447 is offline   Reply With Quote