3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   IP Daily Chat Wednesday, 4 May 2011 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/232462-ip-daily-chat-wednesday-4-may-2011-a.html)

CinnamonSparkles 05-04-2011 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BROWNEYES47 (Post 3835611)
I'm also on the Alternate program, taking the EAS and Protein Shakes from Costco. Your menu looks so similar to mine. I do not have the night snack. I'm just not hungry and I have been told not to eat anything after 8pm.

I want to share something with you that my doctor told me about this diet (she put me on the diet). You MUST eat the lettuce. You must eat a LOT of salad. Our bodies need the roughage. You must also drink the water. I was never much of a water drinker, but you must do this.

I hope you have a wonderful day and look forward to your future posts.

Joan:)

Hi Joan- my coach also insists that I MUST eat the lettuce. I am glad that I am not the only one forcing down the lettuce 2x per day. I am not a big fan but I know I need it. I eat baby romaine and make homemade dressing as WF dressings do not make my taste buds happy. We need the fiber plus I have this idea that lettuce helps alkalize our bodies. I know that's true of leafy greens in general.

I counted my water bottles (I have a 1 liter bottle I fill and drink) and I drank 6 liters on Monday, plus a few extra glasses here and there. 6 liters! That's about a gallon and a half or a little more than that?

I have been told I need to eat the snack at night and am not allowed to have it in the afternoon (as per my coach). Nevermind that I don't get home to eat dinner until 7pm or later. My evening snack is always after 9pm. ? My coach said I must have it before bed to keep my body in ketosis. I go to bed between 10-11pm. I wish I could have it in the afternoon but I am not allowed to. It's not that hard though, I just feel a sort of empty feeling in my stomach from 4pm until I eat dinner. :D Yay for ketosis and not being hungry!

What does everyone else's coach say about the evening snack?

Joan- did your coach tell you why were aren't supposed to eat after 8pm?

emily88 05-04-2011 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CinnamonSparkles (Post 3835655)

I've kind of been wondering what other coaches have been telling different people too... I know for me personally they suggest the snack 3-4 hours after dinner. However, when I asked them about my habit of pulling all nighters they said I could have another one when it got late enough.

My mother, who is doing IP 200 miles away from me was told from the beginning that she could have 4 a day, one snack at night and one during the day, depending when you're hungry. Getting the mixed signals can be a bit confusing...

BROWNEYES47 05-04-2011 11:32 AM

Joan- did your coach tell you why were aren't supposed to eat after 8pm?[/QUOTE]

I don't really have a coach. My thyroid doctor put me on the diet. I take thyroid medication that must be taken in the evening on an empty stomach. If I eat dinner at 6 (it takes me a LONG time to eat all that salad) I'm not hungry at snack time which can be no later than 8 if I go to bed at 10:30. I have to wait 2.5 hours after dinner to take the thyroid meds.

To be honest, I'm not hungry at all with this program and don't miss the snack. Honestly, I'm just not. Even my hubby's nightly snacks don't phase me because getting this weight off is more important to me than anything. I am doing this for me and my health; not because I want to look good in my clothes--- although that certainly will be a plus!

showgirlaz 05-04-2011 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louisiana chick (Post 3835305)
I started a week ago and am anxious for my weigh in this afternoon. The program has been easier than I expected. Keeping my fingers crossed for a good weight loss this afternoon. Hope everyone has a great IP day.

:goodluck: Can't wait to hear your results! I am sure you will do well!

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceman11 (Post 3835314)

I have 3 friends who had started the "John Size Me" IPish protocol. Two started this monday and have decided to quit. I feel bad that I could not encourage them enough to stick with it. I even told them if they would give me a week and follow the rules strictly, they would see results and if after a week they did not like the program, I would purchase their items from them. The 2 ladies decided it was too much and could not even give it a week. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could help them see the benefits of this program? I want to help them and encourage them.

My other friend is a 24 yr old male that is 6'7" and started at 341. After one week and a day he is down 18 lbs. He loves it and is embracing the change. I hope he continues to have great success.

As you know I have stopped all protocol and just going about life. I do watch what I eat, still consume the 120+ oz of water a day. I have a normal lunch with good choices and an IP dinner still. I usually have a bar for breakfast. So really the only thing I have changed is that my lunch is whatever. I would like to share that I have gained about 10-11 lbs, but I do not contribute any of this to fat. I have not consumed enough extra calories to produce fat. It is purely fluid and glycogen / glucose stores being replenished in my body.

I am not concerned about this in the least. I plan to do this for at least another week and see how my body reacts to this new life style. I will most likely jump back on plan after next week to get to my final goal of 200 lbs. I find my workouts much easier now that I have more fuel to burn. I still want my goal of seeing abs and a more chiseled body to happen, but needed to see what would happen with real life eating. I love this program and love the results we see.

Here is to all of us finding that place where we are happy with ourselves and continue towards healthier and smaller us.

First, I am so happy for you that your new lifestyle is working and allowing you to exercise more easily. I am sure when you jump back on program that 9 pounds will melt away!

For the man you are coaching who is 6'7, That is amazing loss! What a great start!! I am wondering are you advising him to tweak his program to accommodate for the size and weight? I helped a friend of mine who is 6'5-1/2" to do this. He started at 340 pounds. He is now at 230. It took him 5 months using alternates. Part of that was we adjusted the amount of protein and fat he was having to accommodate for his physiology and to adapt to his more active lifestyle. He has been maintaining since February (when we switched him to a normal low carb lifestyle (about 100 to 125 carbs a day) but, he is still dropping inches.

As for the other ladies, the have to want this MORE than you want it for them. That is why some IP clinics and DRs adhere to the IP advice of "if they are not above and 8 on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being your highest level of commitment, do not start this now." NOW, how can you get them to be more motivated. Lots of things might help. Have them find a picture of them they love at what they remember their best weight or something from a magazine or such that they remember being like then, find a recent picture they hate. Ask them what they would be willing to give to go from one to the other. Find out WHY they want to do this and why now? Sometimes having that motivating cause is enough. Find out what is holding them back. BE THERE for them. I know it is crazy but for some people the first week is brutal. My coach sent me a text message 3 or 4 times a day the first 4 days and a call every night to make sure I was doing ok, staying on plan, did I have any questions, etc. He helped my plan my prep out so, I had not guess work for 3 days. Everything was prepped and ready to cook. I just followed the schedule he helped me make, ate the food, and didn't look at anything else. Send them here for help and advice (if you dare ;) ). Have them make a list of what they hope to get by making their goals. I remember thinking "I can't wait to cross my legs again, put on a watch or bracelet, go shopping at a normal store, wear shorts and white pants, wear boots, buy a new bathing suit, buy a normal dress and not just a stretchy one, fit in a roller coaster comfortably, climb a hill without panting when I've only gone 300' (j/k about the 300'), RUN!" Those were all little things I needed to realize I could gain just by losing small increments. SO, then I aimed for the small increments because 100 pounds or more is crazy huge to shoot for some days! AND, find out what motivates them. Help them set goals with rewards that motivate them. For some it is a self-indulgence, for others it is personal or shared time, still others want money, or (and this is a hard one) their is the personal who needs the praise and words. All of those help us love ourselves as we lose but for the person who has a beat up inner voice and doesn't always know what to say to themselves anymore, HEARING the regular praise of others is so important to every point and little NSV. It gives them that boost to keep going. At first the praise may feel good and even odd to some or undeserved at points but, it will sink in and will keep them going and learning to say those things for themselves will be very helpful to staying on track.

Good WORK for all you are doing for yourself and others. :hug:

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOSINGFORGOOD2010 (Post 3835350)
Welcome back! We all missed you! Sorry for your loss :( . I am up and down between 163 (my lowest) and 167...I have been STUCK in the 60's since DECEMBER.... I have to really buckle down, and get it done. I would be happy to reach 150 as my first mini goal.... all the cute summer clothes are coming out now :) and I am SO HAPPY that this is the first summer in about 10 years that I am enjoying shopping for... this plan is amazing. Hope to see you around more showgirl! :)

Thank you!! I saw a post of yours late last night (this morning) I thought "I am so glad you are here and doing great!! I can't wait to see you on the daily thread!" :hug:

You will do great. Sometimes it is that weird 10 pounds that is hard to drop. I remember when I got stuck at 180, I had been cruisin' along and BAM, I hit the low 180's and it was like walking through mud. Just a pound or so then a stall, it was horrid! It took forever to make 170. I attribute it to my body taking a self impose adjustment break. Don't worry you will get off this. Just get back to focus and you will be in those cute summer clothes in NO time! 10 or so pounds is really a very manageable goal by then! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by M0vingon (Post 3835362)
Hey Juice. Kudos to you for sharing your knowledge and success with others! As with anything, I guess people really have to want to embrace change and if they choose not to- not much you can do about it. Seeing the success of others is always helpful. I'm sure every trainer has experienced the frustration you're feeling. Sometimes, just giving them the best information you can and then letting them walk their own path is the only option.

Today was WI 3 for me and I'm down another 3.4 lbs. Officially out of the 220s and I hereby swear that I will never see them again! :D I also lost about 2" overall- which I already knew as my "dog walking" jacket (which I wear multiple times daily) has been getting looser almost on a daily basis.

I hope everyone has a successful day!

Congratulations! That is a great weigh in! Don't forget to take pictures at those mile marker number points! You will be glad you did when you look back and study your progress!

I complete agree, people have to be ready and willing to make the change. When they are, it comes much easier no matter the challenges.

Quote:

Originally Posted by darbs7 (Post 3835374)
... Again, I remember your words...go to goal and get it done. That is why I just kept going and didn't stop when I had planned (end of February)...at that point I was only a few pounds from my original goal, but I wanted a much lower number after seeing how great this diet works. I am so glad I didn't stop all together and thankful that I continued to lose through all my planned events. Thank you for recommending everyone to go as low as they possibly want without stopping. I hope to be at the 156 by the end of the month and I will keep going to give myself a little cushion until mid-June.

So I walked out this morning with my new size 8 trousers and size medium button up shirt and my hubby said you look very sophisticated, but your clothes are hanging on you! WHAT....NO WAY....this can't be me:devil:

After 20 years of hating the way I look, NO WAY:dizzy:

Congratulations on the NSV and compliment this morning!! You are doing great! :)

You're welcome for the advice. Having done it the way I did and, learning the hard way, it is far better in my mind to start this without a "date deadline" in mind. Be realistic and, then be surprised. (In the end most women still average about 2 - 4 pounds a week -a healthy number, if they have a large loss to go. )So, go into it with the idea that you will do what it takes to get it done! Stay on plan as long as you can (and your health is good) and make the life adjustments you need to to finally reach the goal. Life has to be lived and part of this plan is that. SO, if you can give it 100% for 3 months and then make it work around those truly exceptional, no way to do "plan" moments. You still come out where you want to be in the end!

I am glad that knowledge is helpful for you. I wish my coach had been able to share it with me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susie_Bee (Post 3835406)
Good morning and happy Wednesday everyone!

As most of you know, I mixed things up with regards to my meals a little yesterday. I was hoping to get rid of the 3-4 p.m. hunger. Around 3 p.m., I still got hungry. Not as hungry as usual though. So, I had my hard boiled eggs (1 whole egg + 1 egg white) and some celery and it was enough to hold me over until supper (which was delayed because traffic was so bad that it took forever to get home last night). I had my chocolate RTD for evening snack (I love that so much!).

So, I am going to stick to that plan again today. Maybe it will just take time for my body to adjust and the 3-4 p.m. hunger will go away.

My weight loss seems to be slowing down. I hope it speeds up a little before the weekend. I need a few really good weeks to keep motivated and to start plannning on phase II (and more importantly, I really want to add another "cool dancing dude" to my signature!).

Have a great 100% OP day everyone!

:dust:

YEAH!!! I am glad it helped. Truthfully, you may be one of those types (especially since you stated a possible prior disposition to hypoglycemia) that will ALWAYS have a 3-4pm hunger. Believe it or not it is normal especially if you eat lunch between 1130am and 1pm. There are MANY people who have a natural low at that time 3pm time and, there are many who have natural 2 -3.5 hour natural digestion when their metabolism is working right. Learn to go for the protein about 20min before that normal hunger time hits and you will sail through it without cravings for caffeine or carbs (sugars or starches).

Just a side note, you are starting to get very close to your desired goal. If you are slowing down, you might try dropping the restricteds out of everyday and go with one every other day or just 2x a week or just have 1/2 a restricted packet a day. OR, if haven't already, add in walking at a steady pace about 3 -4 miles a day but not too fast. It will help your body create the needed calorie deficit to keep you burning a little faster each week. Keep the added protein but, work to have more protein and fewer carbs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by woolberger (Post 3835458)
Good Morning Everyone.

Carla...So glad to have you back. Your advice is always right on target. I'm sure you will accomplish everything you aim for. I'm sorry for your loss. Your Grandma was so lucky to have you.

Lynn

Thank you! I intend to look back at the end of this year and be very happy to have accomplished this goal!!

I hope you have a great day!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2RIDEROLLERCOAST (Post 3835468)
Good morning everyone, I hope everyone is doing great. ....

Things I am looking forward to this year are being Healthier, happier and want to try new things. A co-worker who is off on leave talked to me yesterday and he said I sound happier. I have found that I don't let things bother me like I use to. Maybe I am more comfortable with myself now. I love my job and that really helps.

Have a great day Everyone.:hug:

ng

Isn't it great how much we change on the inside too! I remember thinking and, friends saying, I had a whole new attitude and felt like a new person!
Congratulations for your boost in personality and/or attitude!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sp8275 (Post 3835472)

So I had a rough weekend and noticed that I gained a pound yesterday when I stepped on the scale. I had a perfect day yesterday and stepped on the scale this morning and noticed that I lost 5 lbs. 5 lbs. between yesterday morning and this morning. I stepped on it again to double check and it still said the same number. I just entered my TOM so I'm wondering if I retain a lot of water for the few days before hand. I don't know, but I'll take it! I'm also really enjoying using the alternative products that I bought and am hoping to stop going to the clinic in the next couple of weeks.

I hope everyone has a fantastic hump day!!

TOM effects all of us strangely! Some gain weight for days before then shed it when they start. Others gain weight as they begin and shed it slowly til they are a few days past. So, YES, watch for a pattern but, it sounds like you will see a bump up a little before and then a rapid shed. Also, it isn't uncommon for your body to retain less water as you drop pounds so, that bump might become smaller in the future.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MInewgoal (Post 3835535)
Well..I'm happy to report that I don't look 4 months pregnant due to bloat today! So it was only a one day thing :D

ShowgirlAZ welcome back to the world of ketosis! You perserverance is amazing! You were one of the ppl that I read every post you have in the stickies up top, before I decided to follow this plan.Thank you for all that you've contributed so far, and can't wait to see what you contribute from now on too ;)

Juiceman- I'm sorry that the ladies at your office couldn't make it through. It's really, imo, a decision that needs to be made in the persons heart, not just an "OH, look what he did I want to emulate", but more of an "I can not live like this any more and SOMETHING has got to change!" I don't have any words to give them, because the first week wasn't that difficult for me. I did get headaches, but other then that...Everything just seemed to fall into place....

Starting day 9 today. 7 was really the hardest so far, and that includes the day I went to a graduation party and they had the most delicious looking cupcakes (thank god for the veggie tray!). For some reason I wanted to eat and eat and eat, but managed to refrain. During the day I take care of 3 children, well 4 on Monday (day 7) + my 4. I was constantly making someone something to eat...so needless to say, that didn't help matters much.

Wearing a belt today to hold my pants up and I'm happy!
Have a good day today all!

Thank you! I am so flattered. I am glad I have been able to help you as you begin this journey :hug:

I agree with you and what you said to JUICEMAN. In the days before I found and started IP I remember thinking "I will give anything, do anything, whatever it takes, as long as it takes, to get this weight off!" As I started the plan I was so desperate that I told my coach "If I can just lose 1 pound a week for the next 2 yrs, I will be happy." I think it takes that kind of willingness to be able to make a major change, and, although I didn't stick to it I have never considered myself done. I am back at it and I have that same out look again. A person really does have to be in the right mental place for this. NO ONE can give that to them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugadiva (Post 3835544)
Thank you for Showgirlaz for your post yesterday and for letting us know you'd experienced something similar.

You're welcome! AND, more improtantly, I am glad you are back. I care that you stay focused on getting the results you want/need. You will do best staying with it as written, you know that, in the meantime somethings happen and we do something "off", get back on but figure out first why it happened and what you might have done differently to make that situation easier the next time (there are always next times). If you use those moments as learning tools you will also learn what about your behavior you can change to have greater long term success when you reach phase 3 and phase 4.

:HUG: I hope you have a great day!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ltaylor716 (Post 3835546)
Good morning! Today is the official start of month #2! I was down 18 lbs the first month, hoping for something close to that the 2nd month! I hope everyone has a wonderful day! I plan on enjoying the sunshine after all the flooding rains we have had this past week!

WOO HOO!! :carrot: That is a great first month! I hope you have a wonderful month 2 in its wake. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by traeh1314 (Post 3835565)
I am down a pound this morning after my Sunday cheat and being up two. I wont be doing that again. May 27th is my party and planned cheat. But I found out yesterday that my husband's 20th class reunion is September 16th. Yikes! I guess that will be a new goal. I would like to be close to done by then but it is definitely a motivator since at his 10 year I was 9 months pregnant and HUGE. I plan on being the hottest wife there!

NO PROBLEM!! You should be very close to your goal by that point if you stick to the protocol!! Enjoy buying those cute outfits to show your new self off in! ;)

blueandwhite 05-04-2011 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceman11 (Post 3835314)
Good morning everyone. I am up earlier than usual today and already at work since my 16 month old decided to get us all up very early. Hope everyone has a great day and a positive day!

I have 3 friends who had started the "John Size Me" IPish protocol. Two started this monday and have decided to quit. I feel bad that I could not encourage them enough to stick with it. I even told them if they would give me a week and follow the rules strictly, they would see results and if after a week they did not like the program, I would purchase their items from them. The 2 ladies decided it was too much and could not even give it a week. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could help them see the benefits of this program? I want to help them and encourage them.

My other friend is a 24 yr old male that is 6'7" and started at 341. After one week and a day he is down 18 lbs. He loves it and is embracing the change. I hope he continues to have great success.

As you know I have stopped all protocol and just going about life. I do watch what I eat, still consume the 120+ oz of water a day. I have a normal lunch with good choices and an IP dinner still. I usually have a bar for breakfast. So really the only thing I have changed is that my lunch is whatever. I would like to share that I have gained about 10-11 lbs, but I do not contribute any of this to fat. I have not consumed enough extra calories to produce fat. It is purely fluid and glycogen / glucose stores being replenished in my body.

I am not concerned about this in the least. I plan to do this for at least another week and see how my body reacts to this new life style. I will most likely jump back on plan after next week to get to my final goal of 200 lbs. I find my workouts much easier now that I have more fuel to burn. I still want my goal of seeing abs and a more chiseled body to happen, but needed to see what would happen with real life eating. I love this program and love the results we see.

Here is to all of us finding that place where we are happy with ourselves and continue towards healthier and smaller us.

Well, if they're not ready, there isn't much you can do, but as Stephanie already mentioned, sending them to this forum could make the difference. I honestly don't know how I would have done without the motivation, information, and support that I've found here.

As you know, while I'm on mostly IP products, my husband & sons are using the alt products you recommended, with the exception that I buy enough IP snacks for all of us to have our one restricted snack in the evening (mostly chips, cheese puffs). It really seems to make a difference, knowing that in the evening, we can sit down & have something that feels normal, even indulgent! I don't know if that would make a difference for your friends, but I thought I would mention it.

Either way, you've done your part and been a great friend to them!!

ash825 05-04-2011 11:51 AM

Wow. Lots of good information in these first few pages today!!

I've been on this diet for 15 weeks and had an extremely weird experience last night. I want to mention I've been 100% healthy since starting IP- no colds, nothing (knock on wood). This morning at 3am I woke up starving and dizzy. I ate an egg white with sea salt on it and drank a lot of water. My hunger got even more intense to the point of nausea. So, I ate a bar. My dizzies got worse. I just laid on the couch trembling (no temp) from 3:30-6:30 am. Now, I'm up, feeling better but still a little dizzy and feeling stiff and blah. Any insight? So strange- I don't want it to happen again. Plus, it's gorgeous outside and I'm having to lay low at home due to the dizziness. Thoughts?

p.s.- I've not been off plan at all. Yesterday was a perfect day- tons of water, all my veggies, oil, salt, vitamins.

showgirlaz 05-04-2011 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pxlkitty4 (Post 3835578)

For me, when someone says "don't you miss <insert food item here> ?", I simply reply "What I don't miss is that little bundle of fat that the seatbelt used to sink into. No <insert food item here> can match that feeling!"

I have had many neighbors/friends comment that this seems too hard and that they could never do it. After explaining the program ad nauseum, it's annoying that some people just say "wow, that's so hard. I could never do it."

This is why I posted last week that I was really sick of talking about the program... I sometimes feel like saying to some people "fine, be fat, I don't care."
..."

You gave me such a laugh!!! And, I can so relate! I never really felt it was "too much or too hard" nothing else mattered as much to me as not being fat anymore. I knew what all the "missing stuff" was about, I could describe it in detail because I'd had it... lots of it! I definitely get what you are saying!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BellyRubz (Post 3835598)
Weigh in day for me. *sigh* I blasted through my first 2 weeks and now these last 2 weeks have been at a turtle's pace. My coach is definitely going to need to pep talk me because this is the last thing I need mentally. I am usually a fast "loser" when I do anything low carb. :(

I see you figured this out before I posted but, UH HHmmmmm, 21 pounds in less than a month!! GIRL, you are a fast loser! You are doing great! I can't wait to see what weigh in 4 adds to your totals!

Quote:

Originally Posted by longhorn96 (Post 3835622)
Good morning everyone! I am just going to post here real quick, but I guess I should really introduce myself over in the official introduction thread? I am going for my first meeting on Friday and plan to start the program on Monday. ...

I am trying to browse through all the threads to get prepared and ready for Monday, but it is SO overwhelming! There is so much information. It would take me days and days to read it all and with two jobs and three kids I don't know how I'll find the time. I hope that I get enough information from my coach/meeting to be successful and find the time to get on here for additional help/ideas!

:welcome2:

It's so nice to have you here!! And, don't worry about the reading. Start with the sticky posts at the top of page 1. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/ Read the tips for newbies and frequently asked questions to get going. Then pick up the rest as you go. Your coach should provide you enough info to get started. It won't seem like much but, the program is really pretty simple. Feel free to ask questions on the daily threads! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by CinnamonSparkles (Post 3835655)
I counted my water bottles (I have a 1 liter bottle I fill and drink) and I drank 6 liters on Monday, plus a few extra glasses here and there. 6 liters! That's about a gallon and a half or a little more than that?

I have been told I need to eat the snack at night and am not allowed to have it in the afternoon (as per my coach). Nevermind that I don't get home to eat dinner until 7pm or later. My evening snack is always after 9pm. ? My coach said I must have it before bed to keep my body in ketosis. I go to bed between 10-11pm. I wish I could have it in the afternoon but I am not allowed to. It's not that hard though, I just feel a sort of empty feeling in my stomach from 4pm until I eat dinner. :D Yay for ketosis and not being hungry!

CINNAMON!! :hug: it is so nice to see you! I see you are right at goal. Well done!

I was told the snack can be afternoon of evening depending on when you need it most. If you aren't very hungry in the afternoon, you should have it at night. I was told to have it at night is best and having it about 1/2 to 1 hour before you sleep is better yet because it keeps you from going into a fasting mode overnight.

Some of the guidelines coaches give have to do with the unique knowledge they have about each client- health issues, medications, lifestyle (some people are up late or have odd work schedules and long days so they get extra snacks). The snacks aren't very hard a fast as too where or when.

blueandwhite 05-04-2011 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugadiva (Post 3835544)
Thank you for Showgirlaz for your post yesterday and for letting us know you'd experienced something similar.

This program is amazing and although I did cheat on the program during my vacation, I am back on the plan and staying here.

Very good point that people have different ways of encouraging and that I will choose what is helpful for me and put aside what is not. I have a sensitive heart, especially when it comes to my weight and my ability to stick to a program, so this hit a nerve for me, but I truly appreciate your comments.
Congrats on starting the program again, I am convinced you will have the same great success you've had in the past!

LOVE your new photo, Suga! You're doing great & it's showing!! :hug:

Susie_Bee 05-04-2011 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by showgirlaz (Post 3835696)
:goodluck: Can't wait to hear your results! I am sure you will do well!

YEAH!!! I am glad it helped. Truthfully, you may be one of those types (especially since you stated a possible prior disposition to hypoglycemia) that will ALWAYS have a 3-4pm hunger. Believe it or not it is normal especially if you eat lunch between 1130am and 1pm. There are MANY people who have a natural low at that time 3pm time and, there are many who have natural 2 -3.5 hour natural digestion when their metabolism is working right. Learn to go for the protein about 20min before that normal hunger time hits and you will sail through it without cravings for caffeine or carbs (sugars or starches).

Just a side note, you are starting to get very close to your desired goal. If you are slowing down, you might try dropping the restricteds out of everyday and go with one every other day or just 2x a week or just have 1/2 a restricted packet a day. OR, if haven't already, add in walking at a steady pace about 3 -4 miles a day but not too fast. It will help your body create the needed calorie deficit to keep you burning a little faster each week. Keep the added protein but, work to have more protein and fewer carbs.

Thank you so much! I appreciate the advice.

I've just recently integrated the restricteds as one-a-day items (and aslo reached to the point where I can limit them to one per day) but maybe this is part of the problem and limiting them further will help me... I have to admit that I love the chili, the spaghetti, the bars, etc. :( But hey! I will do what it takes to get 'er done!

As for the exercise, actually, as of next week, I will be adding two 1-hour tap dance classes per week for the next 6 weeks! I am really looking forward to this!

I am also quite impatient for the weather to improve where I am so that I can integrate more walking into my daily routine. It's been raining a lot lately and it's not so fun to walk in the rain! ...not to mention, I am fighting off some kind of bug or something and have been feverish on and off during the past week... but I will! I walked a lot last spring, summer and fall and can't wait to get back to it!

juiceman11 05-04-2011 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by showgirlaz (Post 3835696)
First, I am so happy for you that your new lifestyle is working and allowing you to exercise more easily. I am sure when you jump back on program that 9 pounds will melt away!

For the man you are coaching who is 6'7, That is amazing loss! What a great start!! I am wondering are you advising him to tweak his program to accommodate for the size and weight? I helped a friend of mine who is 6'5-1/2" to do this. He started at 340 pounds. He is now at 230. It took him 5 months using alternates. Part of that was we adjusted the amount of protein and fat he was having to accommodate for his physiology and to adapt to his more active lifestyle. He has been maintaining since February (when we switched him to a normal low carb lifestyle (about 100 to 125 carbs a day) but, he is still dropping inches.

As for the other ladies, the have to want this MORE than you want it for them. That is why some IP clinics and DRs adhere to the IP advice of "if they are not above and 8 on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being your highest level of commitment, do not start this now." NOW, how can you get them to be more motivated. Lots of things might help. Have them find a picture of them they love at what they remember their best weight or something from a magazine or such that they remember being like then, find a recent picture they hate. Ask them what they would be willing to give to go from one to the other. Find out WHY they want to do this and why now? Sometimes having that motivating cause is enough. Find out what is holding them back. BE THERE for them. I know it is crazy but for some people the first week is brutal. My coach sent me a text message 3 or 4 times a day the first 4 days and a call every night to make sure I was doing ok, staying on plan, did I have any questions, etc. He helped my plan my prep out so, I had not guess work for 3 days. Everything was prepped and ready to cook. I just followed the schedule he helped me make, ate the food, and didn't look at anything else. Send them here for help and advice (if you dare ;) ). Have them make a list of what they hope to get by making their goals. I remember thinking "I can't wait to cross my legs again, put on a watch or bracelet, go shopping at a normal store, wear shorts and white pants, wear boots, buy a new bathing suit, buy a normal dress and not just a stretchy one, fit in a roller coaster comfortably, climb a hill without panting when I've only gone 300' (j/k about the 300'), RUN!" Those were all little things I needed to realize I could gain just by losing small increments. SO, then I aimed for the small increments because 100 pounds or more is crazy huge to shoot for some days! AND, find out what motivates them. Help them set goals with rewards that motivate them. For some it is a self-indulgence, for others it is personal or shared time, still others want money, or (and this is a hard one) their is the personal who needs the praise and words. All of those help us love ourselves as we lose but for the person who has a beat up inner voice and doesn't always know what to say to themselves anymore, HEARING the regular praise of others is so important to every point and little NSV. It gives them that boost to keep going. At first the praise may feel good and even odd to some or undeserved at points but, it will sink in and will keep them going and learning to say those things for themselves will be very helpful to staying on track.

Good WORK for all you are doing for yourself and others. :hug:

Thank you. The male that I am helping we are tailoring it to his size and weight. Stll playing around with servings and such, but he is doing great! He likes it. We chat with each other a few times a day. He has a good grasp on it.

The ladies, I have all but given up on them. I know that sounds harsh, but after a few emails and talking to them today, they just do not have it in them to do this or anything for that matter. One lady I would say needs to do "something" the other lady just wanted to drop a few lbs and saw that I have dropped a bunch.

All I got from them was, "I can't handle that many vegetables, I don't eat breakfast, I hate chocolate flavor, I hate vanilla / milk flavor, I hate vegetables. I hate salads, I only like ranch dressing....etc. One that needs to do something said her dr. told her that IP was not a good choice for her since she has thryoid problems. That is a complete contradiction from when i told her to ask her dr about it.

Whatever, this is not for everyone. I guess they hate all those things more than they hate being unhealthy.

I tried. If I could start my own clinic, I would. Ours here in town is terrible and they people know nothing.

showgirlaz 05-04-2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ash825 (Post 3835733)
Wow. Lots of good information in these first few pages today!!

I've been on this diet for 15 weeks and had an extremely weird experience last night. I want to mention I've been 100% healthy since starting IP- no colds, nothing (knock on wood). This morning at 3am I woke up starving and dizzy. I ate an egg white with sea salt on it and drank a lot of water. My hunger got even more intense to the point of nausea. So, I ate a bar. My dizzies got worse. I just laid on the couch trembling (no temp) from 3:30-6:30 am. Now, I'm up, feeling better but still a little dizzy and feeling stiff and blah. Any insight? So strange- I don't want it to happen again. Plus, it's gorgeous outside and I'm having to lay low at home due to the dizziness. Thoughts?

p.s.- I've not been off plan at all. Yesterday was a perfect day- tons of water, all my veggies, oil, salt, vitamins.

Hmmm the starving, nauseous, and dizzy all sound like hypoglemia more than low potassium or low blood pressure.

It is definitely an adjustment your body made this late in the game I doubt it is a food reaction (unless you had the broccoli cheese soup. then it could be something related to msg.. although that wouldn't make you hungry just ill.).

You say you drank a lot of water. How much and how fast? You could be imbalanced in your chemistry from flushing to many nutrients out with the water.

Try cutting back the water a bit today. Take it easy. Add an extra protein (unrestricted and preferably a mango peach drink if you have it) And, try to do it sooner than later, I am guessing a blood sugar change happened and you probably need to get the extra protein in today to stabilize things. The bar was smart but, it may have been too much too fast without enough protein if you were truly hypoglycemic. That sugar "rush" would have caused you to feel worse temporarily.

You may want to make up an extra pudding or drink tonight and set it in the fridge. If this happens again, it will be ready. If it happens again you are having overnight low. Some people have to set and alarm to get up and eat in the middle of the night to prevent this.

Here is a bit of info about hypoglycemia:
Normal blood sugar is anywhere from 80 mg/dl to 120 mg/dl. Above or below this range may cause problems. There are many symptoms one may experience when a dip in blood sugar occurs. They include fatigue, vertigo (dizziness), mood changes, anxiety, trembling hands, concentration/attention disorders, visual disturbances, memory problems, sudden sweating, constant feeling of hunger, sleep problems, nightmares, yeast infections, headache, menstruation disorders, or intestinal disorders. Any or all of these may be experienced. The most common are feelings of hunger, fatigue, and vertigo - these are among the first symptoms one may experience when a drop occurs.

You can get a glucometer fairly inexpensively at any drugstore. It might be worth it have one on hand if this happens again or keeps happening so you know what you are up against.

If you are experiencing hypoglycemia, using the peach mango drink is best! Also, eating something with a little protein (just an ounce would be fine) every 2.5 to 3.5 hrs is very helpful and NEVER skip your bedtime snack. DO NOT drink alcohol or coffee on an empty stomach or with low blood sugar, it will make matters worse. You might even want to make an extra protein drink, dilute by using 2x the water, then you can sip on a little every hour so as a way of getting in a bit of extra protein and carbs all day long.

Let us know if you feel better this evening.

PS. as an FYI.. people can experience hypoglycemic symptoms even if they are just at the low end of the blood sugar range. you should still treat it as hypoglycemia and eat appropriately.

if you are experiencing hypoglycemia, please do not use restricted packets as you bedtime snack. it is too much sugar and can cause you to go up then drop dramatically while you sleep. you are relying on a body process to regulate your blood sugar. it does this but, it does it differently than if we were eating carbs. you should be adding extra protein to help with that process and to avoid burning muscle to help maintain healthy blood sugars.

lastly, hypoglycemia can be serious so, make sure your coach knows about this event and, if it repeats, you should see your doctor. You would want to make sure that you are still healthy and get their opinion on modifications you would need to make. IN GENERAL, if all is well, just adding more protein and eating more frequently during the day will be the key.

blueandwhite 05-04-2011 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pxlkitty4 (Post 3835578)
I completely agree with you. For me personally, something clicked in my mind that I want to forever break my addiction to food and feel good about myself. I think some people have a quick fascination with the program because they see results of others. However, without a deep desire to make some serious changes, this isn't the diet for them.

For me, when someone says "don't you miss <insert food item here> ?", I simply reply "What I don't miss is that little bundle of fat that the seatbelt used to sink into. No <insert food item here> can match that feeling!"

I have had many neighbors/friends comment that this seems too hard and that they could never do it. After explaining the program ad nauseum, it's annoying that some people just say "wow, that's so hard. I could never do it."

This is why I posted last week that I was really sick of talking about the program... I sometimes feel like saying to some people "fine, be fat, I don't care."

On the advice of my coach, I've stopped telling most people how much weight I have lost. I decided that I want to internalize the program and become more private. I now say "I have lost a lot of weight" when people ask how much. It's none of their business... and I'm getting asked fewer questions, which is nice... I was getting sick of the barage of "what can you eat? do you eat veggies? It sounds like Atkins. Is it like Atkins? Why can't you eat fruit?"

I hear you! I've only really explained the program to 2 people, since I was determined at first to not even tell anyone outside my family I was on a diet until they noticed my weight loss - and that never happened until very recently! The first person, my closest friend, and someone who has never & probably will never, need to be on a diet, was completely indifferent (that hurt), and the second person is convinced I'll be in kidney failure any day now!!

So, I've decided I'm just not talking about it.

Elkie13 05-04-2011 12:14 PM

So day two of phase two. I have to say I love phase two. The extra protien at lunch makes it so I am not crazy hungry by the time dinner rolls around. I am still loosing weight like I am on phase 1. I still don't understand what phase two is supposed to accomplish. Seems I am getting even less carbs as most of the carbs come from the packets right?

carlasherea 05-04-2011 12:18 PM

Here we go to Day 1 of protocol (again)

For all of you that may see my posts and think "wow, she just can't keep it together." I want to encourage you. The Maintenance program for IP works! If you follow it :) I have been on Maintenance since last June and am pleased to report that the most I've gained on this Phase is 7 lbs. And this was when I at whatever I wanted! At that point I freak out and go back to Phase 1 to get those 7 lbs off again. I have high aspirations to get down to 150, but that hasn't happened as of yet.

So I am sitting at my desk drinking my 2nd water bottle for the day and quite hungry, but I am the boss of this body and will not let it rule me!!

So 150, here I come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Treena 05-04-2011 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pxlkitty4 (Post 3834910)
I am going to try a celery root soup this weekend for my supper club... I will post the recipe if it turns out well. It's another recipe that looks like it would be great on IP with a few tweaks here and there... Stay tuned!

Good luck, hope it turns out great! :) And looking forward to finding out what you made.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TWoww (Post 3835065)
Treena, not sure if you bought the right product or maybe WF makes alternate products but everything I buy from them is 0/0/0, including the bacon ranch dressing, one of my fav's:)

I'm not sure if they do or not, but I just went to check it again and it is definitely Walden Farms, and it has 4g of fat in it (0.5g saturated) per 2tbsp serving. It says Low Fat on the top of the front of the label (which is something I didn't see when I first picked it up and bought it).

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugadiva (Post 3835237)
Hi Rondar (and all the other commenters on the my post today)

As one of the 'cheaters' on today's posts, I think there were just two posts in total about cheat (that I noticed). One of those comments was mine and it was just brought up in my msg as part of my daily chat, it wasn't specifically about my cheats while on vacation or any mouthwatering details so I didn't think to post in a thread about cheating specifically.

I do get the picture from everyone though now, let me tell you. I am not really feeling encouraged at all today, just beaten down. It's too bad. I came online to say that I'd messed up but that I was back on protocol. I got almost all negative comments over one line of my post (two encouragers and about 8 people who wanted to just blast the 'cheaters' heads off). Wow. It's funny because when I started contributing to the forum I felt very encouraged and helped by everyone's comments (and even thought maybe I was helping out people out too) but today's comments haven't helped but rather alienated me.

Maybe it's my sensitive Canadian side rearing it's head here. I'll come online again but maybe not till I can be perfectly on plan for a while so that I don't get chastized and beaten down again. I have already beaten myself down enough to last a lifetime. Thanks.

Coming on here and admitting you cheated is a GOOD thing, though. This way, you get 2 things: The support you need to get back on track, and 2) a little, maybe forceful nudge to stay OP. The "problem" arose when others were also saying they cheated, that it started seeming like there was no big deal if you cheat. It was not one post in particular, but instead the general direction and tone that everyone's posts were leading to.

Supportive posts on here, whether it's a kick in the butt or not, are not meant to bring anyone down, point fingers, or put people on guilt trips. That's not what this forum is about at all. If we are wandering off in the wrong direction, we need to be pushed back on track. If it's a little forceful, it only is to prevent "cheating" from getting out of hand, to keep us aware of the repercussions, and is written by caring individuals with good intentions.

As showgirlaz, always full of information and wisdom, mentioned, "In cyber world, you must be your own filter of the words that come back to you. Choose the words that motivate you and let the others go. You are being given a spectrum of advice to choose from so, choose what works!" And I can't remember who said it yesterday, but some people need "tough love," others don't. Unfortunately, we do not know each other individually well enough to determine which they need. This forum provides both; so take whichever you need!

That being said, I also want to let you know that I'm truly glad to see you around. I always valued your posts and missed reading them while you'd been gone. In your situation, the temptation to cheat would have overwhelmed most, if not all, of us. GO YOU for admitting it to all of us, and for being determined to get back on track. I'm very sorry that you felt any of the "tough love" was being directed to you. Honestly, I have a very low confidence, and anytime weightloss was mentioned to me before this diet, I just started crying. Just MENTIONING weight did this. I'm so glad I'm feeling better about myself now. You're definitely looking great, you're on the right track, you've overcome many obstacles on your journey, may have hit a few, but you're still going forward. Keep it up!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ash825 (Post 3835733)

One cause could be low levels of some electrolyte. Obviously not sodium for you, as that didn't help you. My guess (I'm no coach, doctor, nutritionist, etc) would be potassium, only because I've known a couple people who have had similar symptoms and extra potassium got rid of the dizziness and nausea.