Old 04-16-2011, 03:58 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 365/TICKER/300

Height: 5'10"

Default Issues with brain function...

I love this diet. However, I recently returned to nursing school, and I have discovered some issues. I have a theory class at 8am - by 9 to 9:30am, my brain feels like it's been stuffed with cotton. I have tried waiting for my protein shake until just before class starts (8am), and I have tried eating celery sticks and other acceptable veggies to keep the "fuzzies" at bay (that's what I've been calling the fuzzy/cotton feeling in my brain). It's like I can't think straight - I can't seem to keep up with my classmates. I don't want to leave this diet (it's the only thing that's worked for me in a loooong time), but I absolutely must have access to my brain during nursing school!

Any thoughts/ideas/opinions?
condanchri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:48 AM   #2  
09/15/10

S/C/G: 246.8/161.4/156

Height: 5'4 1/2

I am not sure how long you have been on this diet, but I do remember that the first week, or so was like that, when I wasn't in Ketosis. I think your body has to set up the mechanics to use your own fat as energy for the brain. Glycogen from carbs is a brains best friend, but as your body does learns to use another source for energy, to feed the brain.

I don't have the fuzzy brain feeling anymore, I have been on the diet for 7months, and I am a senior in the psychology program and need a clear head for statistics.

Good luck
ginBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:52 AM   #3  
Candice

S/C/G: 154/140/125

Oh, do I ever know how you feel! The first few days work was a different experience entirely! I would forget what I was going to do all the time AND on top of that I was orienting a new-hire. Well, I'm on day 16 and my brain is functioning better, but I think it will take another week or so until it's back online completely. Hope classes go better for you soon, they WILL eventually.
candieshells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:58 AM   #4  
Getting it Done!

S/C/G: 177/138/140

Height: 5'-3"

Ah, the dreaded LCB (low carb brain)!
It will usually pass after the first 7-10 days as others have said. I would suggest making your evening snack something higher carb (like a restricted) and be sure that you drink lots of water first thing in the morning, and don't wait to eat more than 30 minutes after you get up. Your "overnight" is a big chunk of time with no food or water and your body may need a little help as it's re-starting all your awake-level functions. Good luck and best of luck with nursing school!
Rocky Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:13 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 460/411/150 24" lost!

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by condanchri View Post
I love this diet. However, I recently returned to nursing school, and I have discovered some issues. I have a theory class at 8am - by 9 to 9:30am, my brain feels like it's been stuffed with cotton. I have tried waiting for my protein shake until just before class starts (8am), and I have tried eating celery sticks and other acceptable veggies to keep the "fuzzies" at bay (that's what I've been calling the fuzzy/cotton feeling in my brain). It's like I can't think straight - I can't seem to keep up with my classmates. I don't want to leave this diet (it's the only thing that's worked for me in a loooong time), but I absolutely must have access to my brain during nursing school!

Any thoughts/ideas/opinions?
I'm in school as well, for accounting. I didn't know how I would survive my first week on the diet because of the brain fog. It will pass, though. See, your brain normally uses carbs for energy, not ketones. When all of the energy you give yourself is basically ketones, your brain will run low until it switches gears and starts to use ketones rather than carbs, which depending on your body can take a week or so. It feels like when your blood sugar is low except you don't have the shakes. The brain fog will lift and you will be able to concentrate much better. You just have to give your body enough time to adjust.
NannyOgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 05:54 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 305/208/220?

Height: 6.2

I actually found from week 2 on my brain worked way better.. It was almost like being on something. It just was clearer and sharper.. hang in there..
jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:28 PM   #7  

Brain defoggers:

* You can try pear juice. 8 ounces twice a day.
* 24 ounces of whole milk per day aids the memory.
* 2 Tablespoons of raw pumpkin seeds per day will keep you from getting sleepy in the afternoon. (These are sold at health food stores. They have the shells removed.)
* 4 ounces of cooked shrimp in the afternoon for mental fatigue.

JOLINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:35 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 365/TICKER/300

Height: 5'10"

Thanks for all the advice and ideas - and it's great to hear from those of you who are in school as well. I am still in the beginning stages (day 5, after restarting from last month). It sounds like if I stick with it, my brain will adjust - I got some good proof from those of you who have experienced the same thing. Thanks again for giving me some ideas and hope!
condanchri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:26 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 225/156/125

Height: 5' 0"

I seem to have had the opposite problem as most. I have found that I have a foggy brain now that I have gotten further along in the diet. It is really starting to drive me mad. What would be the cause of this? I am 11 weeks into the diet and I didn't have this issue at the beginning but I do as of this past week. I'm not sure what to think.
Lalison is offline   Reply With Quote