Old 05-07-2011, 02:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 185/tkr/125 (IP since 3/20/11)

Height: 5'3"

Exclamation My concern about coconut oil

I know that olive oil isn't the most flavorful oil to consume, and many of us seek alternatives to use for cooking with high temperatures. I'm on P1 and I, myself, have enjoyed using sesame oil in a couple recipes - I've checked the nutritional information and it's very comparable, if not identical, to that of olive oil.

I've read in a few threads about people experimenting with different oils for cooking and for better flavor, which I think is a great thing if it comparable to olive oil and compatible with IP, depending on which Phase you're on. However, I just have one concern regarding some recommendations for coconut oil.

It's allowed on Phase 3, but for phases 1 and 2, I've checked the nutrtion facts, and it's extremely high in fat, namely saturated fat, in comparison to olive oil. I know that there are many people here who use it. If you're using it and are on Phases 1 or 2, I just wanted to bring that to everyone's attention.

I'm definitely not saying that it's unhealthy for you, because that's not true. I'm just saying because of the fat, and saturated fat content, it's best to wait until Phase 3 if you haven't already.

Disclaimer: I'm pathetically FAR away from my goal of learning everything there is about food, eating, science, the human body, life, etc...... so if there's anything you can add or change to this post, please feel free to educate me.
Treena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 03:20 PM   #2  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

Hi Treena,
I am not on IP. I have never been on any diet that involves phases. So, maybe I shouldn't even be making a comment? However, I would just like to say that I have been using coconut oil since the beginning of my new lifestyle and eating plan, and somehow I have still lost almost 100 lbs in less than a year. I don't deep fry foods or soak them in it, but it does add a great flavor to cooking and I love it. Just my 2 cents. Carry on. You're doing a great job. I wish you the best.

Last edited by milmin2043; 05-07-2011 at 03:21 PM.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 03:54 PM   #3  

From Organic Facts, "Health Benefits of Coconut Oil"
There is a misconception spread among many people that coconut oil is not good for the heart. This is because it contains a large quantity of saturated fats. However, coconut oil is beneficial for the heart. It contains about 50% lauric acid, which helps in preventing various heart problems including high cholesterol levels and high blood pressure. The saturated fats present in coconut oil are not harmful as it happens in case of other vegetables oils. It does not lead to increase in LDL levels. It also reduces the incidence of injury in arteries and therefore helps in preventing atherosclerosis.
Hope this helps ease your mind...

hugs
Aunt Sheshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:10 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Sheshie View Post
From Organic Facts, "Health Benefits of Coconut Oil"
There is a misconception spread among many people that coconut oil is not good for the heart. This is because it contains a large quantity of saturated fats. However, coconut oil is beneficial for the heart. It contains about 50% lauric acid, which helps in preventing various heart problems including high cholesterol levels and high blood pressure. The saturated fats present in coconut oil are not harmful as it happens in case of other vegetables oils. It does not lead to increase in LDL levels. It also reduces the incidence of injury in arteries and therefore helps in preventing atherosclerosis.
Hope this helps ease your mind...

hugs
Thanks! I appreciate the information. I like to learn.

My main concern was that it's higher fat than EVOO, which is what we need on P1 and 2. I just wanted to make sure that those who are on those two phases weren't eating it. It's not unhealthy, especially if you are eating a healthy diet to begin with, but for people who are on Phases 1 and 2, it's just a little too high in fat (and saturated fat) than what is recommended.

Thanks also, milmin, for your advice - and congrats on such a significant weightloss! You must feel great about yourself. I wasn't under the impression that coconut oil was a bad thing - just that under the strict protocol of the Ideal Protein program, it's not something we should be eating in Phases 1 and 2, but we will be allowed to consume it eventually.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treena View Post
Thanks! I appreciate the information. I like to learn.

My main concern was that it's higher fat than EVOO

I'm not on IP, but rather a low-carb exchange plan, but I don't understand why you say coconut oil is higher fat than EVOO? That doesn't make any sense, as they both contain exactly the same amount of calories and fat per tsp (40 calories and 4.5g fat).

Also, as mentioned the naturally saturated vegetable fats seem to be associated with heart health - unlike the artificially saturated trans fats, and animal fat. However, there's growing evidence even with saturated animal fat, that the omega-3,6,9 ratio/balance may be more important than saturation. The jury's still out re: animal fats, but I think the research regarding naturally saturated vegetable fats (the tropical oils) is fairly persuasive.

They seem to be heart-healthy and contain exactly the same amount of fat per serving (and even per volume) as EVOO.

Last edited by kaplods; 05-07-2011 at 04:32 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:39 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I'm not on IP, but rather a low-carb exchange plan, but I don't understand why you say coconut oil is higher fat than EVOO? That doesn't make any sense, as they both contain exactly the same amount of calories and fat per tsp (40 calories and 4.5g fat).
My guess is maybe it was the brands I was looking at. But rather than the fat content itself, I was looking at the fact that the fat in evoo is from mono-and polyunsaturated fats, whereas the fat in coconut oil is predominantly from saturated fat.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:34 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Yes, but again we're talking about saturated plant fats. You might want to read up on the health benefits of coconut oil. I suspect you'll be suprised, I certainly was.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:00 PM   #8  

Height: 5'5

This has been a really informative thread.
Stopfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:28 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 189/159/140

i for one am a coconut oil lover! google around on it and see what you come up with about the medium chain fatty acids and weight loss. there is also literature about medium chain fatty acids being able to contain and combat virus. (i.e. HIV, herpes etc.) i use it successfully on coldsores immediately at onset and about hourly and the pain and duration in my case are diminished. i've read about using it for shingles pain as well. the thyroid also loves coconut oil, which is why i started learning and using. always choose a non heat processed like centrifuged or cold pressed. dollar amounts go up but it is decadent.

i smooth it on my skin as a moisturizer and my massage therapist uses it too.
rondar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:28 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondar View Post
i for one am a coconut oil lover! google around on it and see what you come up with about the medium chain fatty acids and weight loss. there is also literature about medium chain fatty acids being able to contain and combat virus. (i.e. HIV, herpes etc.) i use it successfully on coldsores immediately at onset and about hourly and the pain and duration in my case are diminished. i've read about using it for shingles pain as well. the thyroid also loves coconut oil, which is why i started learning and using. always choose a non heat processed like centrifuged or cold pressed. dollar amounts go up but it is decadent.

i smooth it on my skin as a moisturizer and my massage therapist uses it too.
Wow, sounds amazing! I'd actually been wondering about different types f skin moisterizers too, since most lotions have alcohol in them which inevitably make your skin more dry in the long run.

Again, thanks to all of you who have responded. You've all been very helpful.