Old 12-29-2010, 01:11 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 201/134/135

Height: 5'5"

Default Iodized table salt

I went out to dinner with DH tonight and forgot to bring my sea salt with me. I used the table salt on my steak and have been feeling sick ever since. That's the first time I've had table salt in 6 months, it was awful! I feel bloated and the aftertaste is terrible.
I'm going to have to find some individual sea salt packets to keep in the car or my purse, I don't want to repeat this. Does anybody know if there are small packets or shakers available online?

Thanks.

Letterer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:32 AM   #2  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterer View Post
I went out to dinner with DH tonight and forgot to bring my sea salt with me. I used the table salt on my steak and have been feeling sick ever since. That's the first time I've had table salt in 6 months, it was awful! I feel bloated and the aftertaste is terrible.
I'm going to have to find some individual sea salt packets to keep in the car or my purse, I don't want to repeat this. Does anybody know if there are small packets or shakers available online?
In the condiment section of Safeway grocery stores they sell a small Mediterranean sea salt grinder with a lid. A little pricey, but awfully handy and portable. You might check your local grocery and health food stores.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:24 AM   #3  
Started IP 8/29/10

Height: 5'6"

I have one of those small grinders Linden - they're great, perfect for toting around in my purse. I think mine is by McCormick, and is the size of a spice bottle.

Letterer, you might also check with your coach. Mine sells an even smaller salt shaker, but I don't remember the price on it.
Pinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:26 PM   #4  

Thanks, will do. I'll be seeing her today. After yesterday I don't want to go out unarmed again!
Old 12-29-2010, 09:23 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 223/see ticker/160

Height: 5'4"

I've often wondered if substituting regular table salt with the sea salt was a big deal. I definitely prefer the sea salt and know it is better for you, but there has been the odd occasion in restaurants where I've just used the regular stuff and it hasn't seemed to have any ill effects on me.
So can someone tell me why the sea salt is so important?
kaarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:53 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaarin View Post
I've often wondered if substituting regular table salt with the sea salt was a big deal. I definitely prefer the sea salt and know it is better for you, but there has been the odd occasion in restaurants where I've just used the regular stuff and it hasn't seemed to have any ill effects on me.
So can someone tell me why the sea salt is so important?
If I understand correctly, regular table salt has had all the minerals & nutrients stripped away until it's nothing but sodium. Good quality sea salt is full of essential minerals. I really notice a difference in the taste of the salt as well. Growing up I couldn't stand salt on my food, now I think it adds great taste - as long as it's sea salt.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:28 PM   #7  

Is the sea salt still iodized?
jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:14 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter View Post
The brand I use is Redmond Real Salt (unrefined sea salt). It already naturally contains iodine, so none is added artificially.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:08 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 223/see ticker/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterer View Post
If I understand correctly, regular table salt has had all the minerals & nutrients stripped away until it's nothing but sodium. Good quality sea salt is full of essential minerals. I really notice a difference in the taste of the salt as well. Growing up I couldn't stand salt on my food, now I think it adds great taste - as long as it's sea salt.
Thanks for the explanation. I agree that sea salt tastes better and was mostly using that at home. I think I'll see if my coach has the small packets to sell as well.
kaarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:58 AM   #10  
Started 9/25/10

S/C/G: 310 / 252 / 210

Height: 5'9"

Default RealSalt

2 oz Shakers and Packets are available at the Real Salt Store online.
tedski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:01 AM   #11  
Started 9/25/10

S/C/G: 310 / 252 / 210

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter View Post
Typically not, see this article.
tedski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:12 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedski View Post
2 oz Shakers and Packets are available at the Real Salt Store online.
Thanks Tedski! I must be blind - I saw the 26 oz bags when I looked at the website before but somehow missed the travel shaker.