Old 12-05-2010, 06:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 156/145/130

Height: 5'7

Unhappy Horrors!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, em, gee!!!!!!!!!!!
When i read that we can have dill pickles, I ran out and got some. I looked at the lable, not close enough apparently. Sugar was not even listed on the nutrition lable, so my hubby and I been munching them the last 3 days. Today I looked at the lable again and realized there is ONE carb...and sugar is actually listed in the ingredients!!! SNEEKY B@#^&!*#!!!!!!!

DOES THIS MEAN I HAVE TOTALLY SCREWED UP AND THROWN US OUT OF KETOSIS IN OUR FIRST WEEK?!?!?!?!?!?
coqui71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:00 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 137/127/115

Height: 5ft3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by coqui71 View Post
Oh, em, gee!!!!!!!!!!!
When i read that we can have dill pickles, I ran out and got some. I looked at the lable, not close enough apparently. Sugar was not even listed on the nutrition lable, so my hubby and I been munching them the last 3 days. Today I looked at the lable again and realized there is ONE carb...and sugar is actually listed in the ingredients!!! SNEEKY B@#^&!*#!!!!!!!

DOES THIS MEAN I HAVE TOTALLY SCREWED UP AND THROWN US OUT OF KETOSIS IN OUR FIRST WEEK?!?!?!?!?!?

My coach says it is all right to have dill pickles. I find that if Im hungry before my next meal I grab a couple of dills. I don't normally have any more than 2.
I just finished my first week yesterday and at my WI I lost 4.7 lbs. Can't wait to see what I weigh next week
jenn2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:15 PM   #3  
Start date: August 19/10

S/C/G: 229/163/150

Height: 5'7"

If sugar is not listed on the nutrition label then that means there isn't enough in it to count. One carb is not enough to take you out of ketosis - a lot of IP products have more than that. Or are you eating the whole jar in a day?
Mamadancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:19 PM   #4  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Oh, em, gee!!!!!!!!!!!

No, no, no. One carb and a tiny bit of sugar won't through you out of ketosis. I make my own pickles because I don't like the aftertaste of too much sodium in store-bought. You might try that. It's really, really easy.

But to be honest, if I want something crunchy, I prefer celery -- particularly with WF blue cheese or barbeque sauce as a dip. At meals it's both a vegetable and a sort of appetizer.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Oh, em, gee!!!!!!!!!!!

No, not likely unless you have eaten a large quantity.

ALWAYS read the ingredient list. If sugar is on the ingredients list in the first 5 or 6 positions it is a large part of the recipe.

Serving size is key! If a serving says less than 1g carbs for 1 then, it can have up to .999g carbs and still count as less than 1 according to USA labeling laws. So, as serving size increases that less than 1 grows.

Always assume .5g or anything less than 1 as 1g if you are watching the carbs. 0 to .4999 is called 1 0g, .5 to .9999 can be called .5g and either can be called less than 1g for labeling purposes.

If you are following the protocols in all other areas, a few servings of these will not be likely to put you out of ketosis. Just don't over do it.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:12 PM   #6  
maintaining as of 6/1/11!

S/C/G: 213.2/143/145

Height: 5'2" - size 2-4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
No, not likely unless you have eaten a large quantity.

ALWAYS read the ingredient list. If sugar is on the ingredients list in the first 5 or 6 positions it is a large part of the recipe.

Serving size is key! If a serving says less than 1g carbs for 1 then, it can have up to .999g carbs and still count as less than 1 according to USA labeling laws. So, as serving size increases that less than 1 grows.

Always assume .5g or anything less than 1 as 1g if you are watching the carbs. 0 to .4999 is called 1 0g, .5 to .9999 can be called .5g and either can be called less than 1g for labeling purposes.

If you are following the protocols in all other areas, a few servings of these will not be likely to put you out of ketosis. Just don't over do it.
Carla, do you know where splenda falls on the carb amt spectrum? The label says >1 gm of carbs and I made some jello jigglers with it this weekend - the carb thing didn't occur to me until after I made & ate them. I'll be picking up stevia to fill this need from now on, I'm jsut trying to figure out how much damage I might have done already.

FWIW, I don't feel out of ketosis...
Mrs Diettrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:19 PM   #7  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Diettrich View Post
Carla, do you know where splenda falls on the carb amt spectrum? The label says >1 gm of carbs and I made some jello jigglers with it this weekend - the carb thing didn't occur to me until after I made & ate them. I'll be picking up stevia to fill this need from now on, I'm jsut trying to figure out how much damage I might have done already.

FWIW, I don't feel out of ketosis...
It varies depending on if you are using cooking/baking splenda or the drink sweetener (packet style).

I was told, haven't yet confirmed it, that each packet has .5g of carb per 1 tsp. That is true of the bulk quantity of this same variety.

The baking kind is supposed to be closer to the 1g end of the spectrum per 1 tsp and it uses dextrose and maltodextrin to bulk it up. BOTH of those effect insulin production and that is why the baking splenda is not recommended on this plan.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:49 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 156/145/130

Height: 5'7

Phew! Thanks for all the great info!!! I don't think we were eating too many so all should be well.
coqui71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:48 AM   #9  

Coqui - I love your new avatar!
Old 12-06-2010, 12:43 PM   #10  
Dave - The Speedo King

Quote:
Oh, em, gee!!!!!!!!!!!

Just a thought that hasn't been mentioned. The list of ingredients is where to check for sugar -- ADDED sugar. There are foods that will show carbs in the DV chart (both by gram weight & by percentage), and many of the restricted veggies do have carbs from trace sugars (it's the naturally occurring sugars that make green peas and carrots a no-no on IP). I always avoid anything where sugar is listed as an ADDED ingredient.

That said, I really don't worry too much about dill pickles, though I prefer the fresh pack pickles, like Nathan's or Claussen's to the bottled/cooked varieties, like Nalley's and Vlassic.

I've always been a fan of bread & butter pickles, which are an absolute no-no on IP because they're sweet. But...most areas have Kroger chains (Ralph's, Smith's, Dillon's, Kroger, etc.), and Kroger makes sugar-free bread & butter pickles sweetened with splenda. They're really good!

Last edited by salesgod; 12-06-2010 at 12:49 PM.
salesgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:00 PM   #11  
started IP 11/21/2010

S/C/G: 175/155/140

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by salesgod View Post
Just a thought that hasn't been mentioned. The list of ingredients is where to check for sugar -- ADDED sugar. There are foods that will show carbs in the DV chart (both by gram weight & by percentage), and many of the restricted veggies do have carbs from trace sugars (it's the naturally occurring sugars that make green peas and carrots a no-no on IP). I always avoid anything where sugar is listed as an ADDED ingredient.

That said, I really don't worry too much about dill pickles, though I prefer the fresh pack pickles, like Nathan's or Claussen's to the bottled/cooked varieties, like Nalley's and Vlassic.

I've always been a fan of bread & butter pickles, which are an absolute no-no on IP because they're sweet. But...most areas have Kroger chains (Ralph's, Smith's, Dillon's, Kroger, etc.), and Kroger makes sugar-free bread & butter pickles sweetened with splenda. They're really good!

BREAD AND BUTTER pickles are awesome!@!!

Darn..no krogers in jersey

I may attempt to make these!!!
jules26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:57 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 245.6/193.4/180.0 IP 10/17/10

Height: 5' 8"

Mt. Olive also makes a splenda sweetened line of pickles.
cmsgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:02 PM   #13  

I've had pickles sweetened with splenda as well. Sorry, I can't remember the brand and have long since eaten them all. But I found them at a Super One store. (in the USA)
Old 12-06-2010, 04:19 PM   #14  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

The sugar listed under carbs in the nutritional info is actually fructose, not sucrose. Cucumber is really a fruit. If there is no sugar in the actual ingredients, you're OK.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote