Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 06:36 PM   #61  

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitmatter View Post
Hours later, I'm still feeling great! Those "feel good" chemicals definitely come out in droves when I run (for me at least).

Did you decide on regular running shoes? Or trail running ones? Definitely start off slow. Months and months and months ago when I first started, I walked at a regular pace, then sped up, then regular pace, sped up... Next progression was to a slow walking warm up, fast walking pace and then slow cool down. Then on to; walk, wog, walk, wog, walk. (WOG = slow jogging pace). Then I made it to; walk to warm up, jog and then walk to cool down. Next, jogging. And now full fledge running. Yippee!!!!

Don't rush it or push it. Go slow and gradually increase your distance and then pace. I've always told myself it's more important to focus on the distance (and simply just the act of getting out there) then to be concerned with speed (which will come in time). Regardless of where you're at (walking, wogging, jogging, running) only do it 3-4 times a week. Just like with any type of cardio or strength training activity, you have to give your body time to recover.

Trail running is a blast!!! If you're running on a well maintained trail, there's really no need to worry about falling (just stay on the maintained trails; don't go off singletracking it). Also, running on dirt is much easier on the joints than running on pavement. So even if you can't get out on the real dirt on the trails, if there's grass along the sidewalk - run on the grass if possible. For you running around the yard is great - especially since you'll already know the terrain.

As you're just starting off, if you want to incorporate an upper body workout at the same time, try walking with Nordic poles (or simply use old ski poles). The motion is the same as when you use your Nordic Track system.

Have fun out there!!! Before you know it, you'll be hooked!

And to those of you who are wanting to exercise, but not quite sure about it, try walking. Even if you only go for 10 minutes (at a slow pace), it's something to build upon. Personally for me, I know exercising is just as important for my body as limiting my carbs will be - FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE. Years ago, when I was "regular" sized, I ran, biked, exercised on a regular basis. When I stopped, the weight quickly piled on. Yes, there were other "stuff" involved in my gaining weight (tons of junk food, divorce, undiagnosed thyroid issues...). Anyways, I personally believe in exercising and congratulate those who do it.

*** Feel like I need to make a disclaimer here: I started exercising prior to beginning to follow the IP protocol. I haven't had any problems with it (aside from my pulled hamstring - which wasn't protocol related). But... I know there are those out there who strongly advocate against any form of exercising while in phases 1 and 2. Everyone needs to do what is appropriate for their body and health. Talk with your coach or doctor, get their thoughts and then decide for yourself. (ps: I don't have a coach and don't use IP products - but I do follow the protocol - which IMHO doesn't make a difference in this issue). Also, check out the exercise thread as Elizabeth and others have posted some wonderful articles about exercising and about keeping your target heart rate within specific boundaries to maximize your efforts while not kicking yourself out of ketosis.

Anyways, walking is a great activity and easy to do.

Thanks for all the good advice & suggestions on beginning running... yes, I'll definitely start out slow... love your term "wog".. pretty much describes the pace I'll be setting to begin with... I ended up getting the trail runners... the trails I'll be walking/wogging/etc. are all dirt & well maintained... I'm excited about getting out there...

I agree 100% with your disclaimer... like you, I was exercising before I started the IP protocol, so I just continued what I was doing, with no problems... the Exercise thread keeps dropping off the front page, but it's easy to find, just might take a little searching... for now, here's the link http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...-exercise.html...

Quote:
Originally Posted by natchamp View Post
Unfortunately Walmart doesn't sell 36H. Half way to my goal and they get small enough to have to buy new bras, but the bra still cost $80 at that size. BF doesn't see the problem. I should make him pay for the bra and the reduction too if the diet doesn't start doing something about it.
LOL, that's what I'd do, make him pay!.. I was about 3 months into IP before I saw any reduction in that area... seems like it happened overnight, all of a sudden I noticed I was back to (almost) normal... I didn't mind a bit, I always thought those too-big things were in the way!.. nice to be my old self again, even if they aren't quite as perky as they were when I was 20...

hugs

Last edited by Aunt Sheshie; 10-27-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:40 PM   #62  
Sandy

S/C/G: 188/154/140

Height: 5'6"

Question to everyone. I like to have a little cream or something in my coffee. I was using fat-free half and half, but noticed 2 gr carb and 3 gr sugar in 2 tblspns. I went out to the store at lunch to look at different creamers and also at the mini moos. Everything has fat, carb and/or sugar. Someone told me to look at heavy cream. She said her Mom was on a no carb diet (the OTHER one) and that was what she could use. Any suggestions? I thought I saw someone post that I could water down a vanilla pudding pack and use that.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:57 PM   #63  
Lorrie

S/C/G: 280/191/200

Height: 5' 8"

Default Tiny loss today!

I am quite bummed out today.

I went in for my weekly weigh-in and only lost 0.2 pounds.

So very disappointing as I have been following the program to a "T."

I started working out more on my treadmill this past week. Only 15 minutes each night, but I have been burning around 115 calories each night.

My coach was not upset with this number as I have been pulling high numbers over the past 8 weeks since I have started the IP program. I have lost 43-1/2 pounds in 8 weeks.

She is thinking that since I have been increasing my exercise that I have begun to build muscles --- thus the scale now moving.

She took my measurements (last taken over a month ago) and I have lost 13-1/2 inches since then. She was very happy with these results.

Can anyone share their thoughts on why the scale didn't move this week?

Does the increase in the exercise have anything to do with it? My coach told me that the treadmill was fine for the exercise, but didn't want me bench-pressing 500 pounds, etc.

I welcome any thoughts or ideas!

Thanks!
Lorrie
Old 10-27-2010, 08:14 PM   #64  
Sandy

S/C/G: 188/154/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanandZeus View Post

I started working out more on my treadmill this past week. Only 15 minutes each night, but I have been burning around 115 calories each night.

My coach was not upset with this number as I have been pulling high numbers over the past 8 weeks since I have started the IP program. I have lost 43-1/2 pounds in 8 weeks.

She is thinking that since I have been increasing my exercise that I have begun to build muscles --- thus the scale now moving.

She took my measurements (last taken over a month ago) and I have lost 13-1/2 inches since then. She was very happy with these results.

Does the increase in the exercise have anything to do with it? My coach told me that the treadmill was fine for the exercise, but didn't want me bench-pressing 500 pounds, etc.

Thanks!
Lorrie
My only thought is WOW!!! Look at how much you have lost in 8 weeks and WOW at how many inches!!! I think that is awesome and you shouldn't beat yourself up because the scale didn't move. Keep up the good work
Old 10-27-2010, 09:01 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 183/141/140

Height: 5'5"

I am pumped! I lost 8.4 lbs. the last 2 weeks, plus 4 inches! I am in the 160's and staring hard at the 150's! Who-hoooo!
Old 10-27-2010, 09:16 PM   #66  
Health vs. Madness

S/C/G: 230/216/150

Height: 1st attempt 270/151/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebs grandma View Post
Are there any clinics out there that sell by the packet vs. by the box? I would love to try more items, but my clinic sells only by the box and no returns of opened boxes. It makes it an expensive oops! if I purchase something I don't like. (much like the creepy crepes I got a couple of weeks ago)

I've asked my doctor to consider putting together "sampler packs" much like the first round of food we got. They say they are considering it. Even if once a month I could purchase a "snacks" sampler (bars, ridges, soy nuts, etc.) or a pudding sampler, etc. I'm told that there is a support group once a month and that people bring their unwanted packets there to trade, but the timing hasn't worked out for me. I am compiling an impressive mound of packets that I don't particularly care for.
I live in Central Illinois, also. The clinic I started with sells the packets by the box (7), but you can choose what 7 packets you are buying. So in all you pick out 21 packets and pay for three boxes. You can try new things and you get a bigger variety without spending a fortune to get started. Maybe you could suggest it to them. We received a nutrition page with our notebook that explained all of the ingredients and nutrition info on each product.

Quote:
Good morning everyone. I been toying with 200lb mark for a number of weeks now. For the last 10 years I have yo-yo'd between 200 and 230 and it seems that every time I get to 200 something horrible happens in life and I eat my way through the emotions. This time, since I'm on a diet that is so effective, I know I can do it. But I have this mental block about 200lbs. It's stinkin' thinkin'. I know I have more control over my body than the scale does. And if you are all wondering it there is in fact an emotional event that occurred at the same time I hit 200lbs, the answer is, yes. My mom has terminal cancer and she is now at the stage where doctors are just trying to make her comfortable. She is only 56.

So I decided when I started IP last June that I would go to a couselor at the same time because I needed help to get through the 200lb thing. Well, here I am. I've been toying with about 2.5lbs for the last month or so. Down, up, down, up.

In an attempt to make this obsession stop I've made a plan with my IP coach. I will come in every week to measure and weigh in. I will have the chart with my measurements only. She will have the chart with my weight. Only she gets to see the weight. If my weight goes down, she gives a thumbs up. If the weight stays the same or goes up, thumbs down. This way I know I'm on the right track and whether or not I need to make adjustments. I need to get under 200 and through the 190s then I think I can do the rest without obsessing anymore.

Anyone have further thoughts on this or a similar experience?
I know that "stinkin thinkin" pretty well myself. I have talked a little about this in a previous post, but love the opportunity to talk about it again. I have lost a major amount of weight on three previous occasions. I never got past 160 - ever - when I was on a diet. That number scares me to death. I just want to fly past it with my eyes closed. Now I say that and the rational part of me says that I am being ridiculous. I have been on IP for six months and have lost rapidly - why would that change, I ask myself? I don't know what the irrational fear is for me and I totally understand yours. I am happy you have worked something out with your coach that sounds doable. We will be just fine and succeed at losing this weight.

My prayers and thoughts are with you and your mother. One Day at a Time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitmatter View Post
Hi Everyone!!! So many upbeat, positive posts this morning; thanks!

I had a fabulous early morning run (4:30am!) It felt so wonderful running WITHOUT any flabby fat jostling around. Plus, gotta admit, I love the way I looked in my little, itty bitty running tights and jacket. My physical therapist told me to take it easy for the first couple of weeks, which is going to be hard, but I know in the long run I have to in order to avoid re-injurying myself. Patience and going slow are two things I'm not good at...

Being healthy is just so... perfect.
Have a great day everyone!
Hi Makeitmatter - I have been exercising this week - I have even walked 2 miles every other day with my two chi's. Thanks for your inspiration - I think I will carry small weights on my walks to work my arms without even trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgiraultRPh View Post
Grr on the Bra front I just unloaded my very expensive to small bra's 4 months ago-- but now I could use them, Not sure how to maintain the clothing -- I'm loosing so fast that I can't see buying as I go-- but I culled out a tremendous amount of clothes 4-6 monthes ago--- Belts, will now be my friend-- if my pants only had belt loops!!!
I took all my clothes to a resale shop and I use the money that they put on my account for selling things, to buy used things from that store. I started in a 22-24 and I am in a 14 now, moving to a petite 12. That is a lot of sizes. We should start a thing where we trade clothes around. We could probably get it to work.

Quote:
Unfortunately Walmart doesn't sell 36H. Half way to my goal and they get small enough to have to buy new bras, but the bra still cost $80 at that size. BF doesn't see the problem. I should make him pay for the bra and the reduction too if the diet doesn't start doing something about it.
I know exactly what you are talking about. I started in a 44DDD and I am now in a 36C. I was on the diet about four months before I lost my boobs, but boy when I did I was so happy. They are nothing to brag about, but I am tickled to death not to have to tote those large girls around any more. Good luck - I hope when it kicks in for you it is a wonderful experience.

Quote:

Thanks!
Lorrie
The progress that you have made is excellent. If this is the first weigh in where you have not met expectation, then I think you have been quite remarkable in your progress. I have had many weeks that I didn't meet my own expectations. I will not lose one week and maybe just a little the next week, but finally on the third week I would have a big lose. I think for some people they hold fluid or their body chemistry takes a while to catch up with all of the work that is going on in the body. I have said this before and I will say it again - if you are following protocol the weight will take care of itself. In 10 weeks you will lose the same amount whether you weigh every day or one time at the end of 10 weeks - the lose will be the same. Maybe we weigh too often. I use to work in an eating disorder clinic and everybody had to weigh standing backward because it wasn't about the numbers. I found that interesting, but it is human nature to want to know. I recently bought my first scale since 1987. I had it for one week and had to make a commitment to someone not to weigh more often than one time per week because I was on it every day - and I began to obsess about my weight. I think we humans are very interesting.

Last edited by rosemary2612; 10-27-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:20 PM   #67  

S/C/G: 162/132/130

Height: 5'3"

O.K. I have another question. If someone wants to answer... Why no onion except raw? Is it just sauted onions because they carmelize? Can you boil them? I'm just curioius.....
Old 10-27-2010, 09:24 PM   #68  

S/C/G: 183/141/140

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
My usually agile cat tried to jump up into my lap, kind of missed, and began to embed his claws in my leg. Grabbed for him and knocked over 16 oz of IP pudding/shake. You haven't lived until you try to get butterscotch pudding out of oriental carpet, upholstered dining room chair, and cat. Found cat in my bed.
Well, fortunately, I replaced the old washing machine last Saturday.
Gotta love those kitties! They keep life interesting, don't they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karries View Post
Hi everyone. I have been on IP for nearly 4 mths now and I have been reading everyones suggestions, recipes and inspirations. I just want to say thanks for all the helpful information!
We are glad you are here! Read everything you can, it really helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Diettrich View Post
So here it is, the day before WI #3 and already I can feel the nerves rise in my stomach. What if I'm up? What if it's not enough? I stayed on plan, I didn't cheat, I just wish I could get it through my head that it's okay, no matter what happens. I want to trust my body that it's doing what it should be doing. I think it comes from (prior to IP) getting on the scale and it was always up. Taking pregnancy tests and they're never positive. I almost feel like if I want it too much, it won't happen.
I hope and pray that as you continue having such great success your confidence will grow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJackson View Post
Question to everyone. I like to have a little cream or something in my coffee. I was using fat-free half and half, but noticed 2 gr carb and 3 gr sugar in 2 tblspns. I went out to the store at lunch to look at different creamers and also at the mini moos. Everything has fat, carb and/or sugar. Someone told me to look at heavy cream. She said her Mom was on a no carb diet (the OTHER one) and that was what she could use. Any suggestions? I thought I saw someone post that I could water down a vanilla pudding pack and use that.
I don't drink coffee, but I have read that many people use some of the RTD vanilla in their coffee....not quite the same, but better than the carbs!!!

Quote:

Thanks!
Lorrie
I think your coach is right. It is disappointing not to see the numbers move, but if you will read back in the posts in the daily thread, you will see that this seems to happen sometimes. Don't let this derail you!! Stay on the program, and it will work.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:35 PM   #69  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyh View Post
O.K. I have another question. If someone wants to answer... Why no onion except raw? Is it just sauted onions because they carmelize? Can you boil them? I'm just curioius.....
Definitely because they can carmelize, but both methods release sugars so they can be digested more readily. Bummer.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:42 PM   #70  
Senior Member 2/12/2010

Height: 5'4"

To any of my long time IPer friends. Finally have lost the weight I gained on my most recent trip. about 10 lbs so very happy to lose it again. I like that IP is a system you can get back on when you finally get serious enough to do it. Here's my question...
I finally got blood work done after losing 65+ pounds. Couldn't wait to see how much it had improved. Guess what! My cholesterol is up almost 100 points! (145 to 239) I have never had high cholesterol and this info completely shocked me. Anybody have this experience?? I meet with the doc next Monday. Hope it's an error or something...
ShowgirlAZ- I appreciate your ideas on what works to get back on the plan when you're struggling. I'm finally back but all that Halloween chocolate still lurks...

Last edited by HopefulTricia; 10-27-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:44 PM   #71  
Sheila E.

S/C/G: 174.8/141.4/140

OMG. I'm in heaven. I went for my weigh-in and my coach mentioned a new product they just got in...Southwest Cheese Puffs. The texture is right and the taste is amazing, especially for you queso lovers. I forgot to ask if they are restricted, but I just emailed her to get all the details to share. I highly suggest them for a really tasty snack, plus the bag is huge, at least triple the size of the largest snack I can think of...Mmmmm, still licking the cheese off my fingers.

Bras - I feel everyone's pain. I shrank out of mine the first month. I have some smaller ones, but most are 34s and I've only made it to a 36 so far, so squeeze them in or have the bras slide all over the place all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebs grandma View Post
Are there any clinics out there that sell by the packet vs. by the box? I would love to try more items, but my clinic sells only by the box and no returns of opened boxes. It makes it an expensive oops! if I purchase something I don't like. (much like the creepy crepes I got a couple of weeks ago)
Calebs Grandma, try taking the crepe mix, adding 1-2 oz of WF or Davinci chocolate syrup, then bake on 350 appox. 12 mins. I usually add an oz of egg white too, but that isn't necessary. It makes 3-4 regular size muffins and is really good. Doing the same with WF maple syrup, plus cinnamon, nutmeg & allspice makes them taste like french toast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeLeigh View Post
I'm also wondering about splitting up my protein serving for the next couple of days.
Different coaches have different opinions on this, but mine says it is OK. When I'm curious about something, I do it for a week. Then I evaluate to see how it effected my weightloss compared to the week before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karries View Post
Hi everyone. I have been on IP for nearly 4 mths now and I have been reading everyones suggestions, recipes and inspirations. I just want to say thanks for all the helpful information!
Hi Karries and welcome to the IP 3 Fat Chicks forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Diettrich View Post
So here it is, the day before WI #3 and already I can feel the nerves rise in my stomach. What if I'm up? What if it's not enough? I stayed on plan, I didn't cheat, I just wish I could get it through my head that it's okay, no matter what happens.
WI#3 was the hardest for me because it was a significant change in weight loss compared to weeks 1 and 2, but just know not ever week will be the same but if keep your mind set on it, you will lose the inches and the pounds.

Quote:

Don't fret over the low pound weights. Did you lose inches? I hate weigh-in days because I can be down 4 lb in the morning but when I weigh-in at night I'm only down 1.5 lb. Another scenario is I'm down a lot until the morning of weigh-in and then i'm suddenly up a pound or 2. In the end, don't focus on the number. Focus on how great you are feeling, how your clothes are loosening up, and how you make your successes by sticking to protocol even if the weigh-in day doesn't reflect it perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyh View Post
I was told absolutely no cooked onion, but I do use onion powder for cooking.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:59 PM   #72  

S/C/G: 187/168.6/145

Height: 5' 6"

Default Big Mac N a Bowl

Well of course I had to make Big Mac N a Bowl after all the reviews and it was soooooo yummy. I couldn't find dehydrated onions so I just cut up tiny pieces of White onion. Oh my it was good. Now if there was only a recipe that tasted like a Whopper from Burger King well I'm happy with the Big Mac!
Old 10-27-2010, 10:01 PM   #73  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulTricia View Post
[B] My cholesterol is up almost 100 points! (145 to 239) I have never had high cholesterol and this info completely shocked me...
What DID you eat on vacation??? Seriously, I think I'd ask to have the test repeated. Were you fasting?
Old 10-27-2010, 10:04 PM   #74  

S/C/G: 191/135/115..started 10/4/10

Height: 4'10.5"

WI was postponed till Tuesday because I was at the hospital with my besties little boy all day, but Tuesday was a great day with the scale showing a -5 lbs!!! I weighed before I got dressed and there was a 4.5 lb difference with my clothes on...I guess I need some lighter clothing lol

Hope everyone has an excellent night and I hope to be able to get on and read some more tomorrow...it helps with the motivation!
Old 10-27-2010, 10:15 PM   #75  

Something fun for toning upper arms... plus, depending on the music, it might get a little aerobic too...

Conductorcise® - A SOUND Workout for Body and Soul

You can google it...

hugs
Closed Thread