Old 10-22-2010, 08:03 AM   #1  

Arrow IP Daily Chat - Fri. 22 Oct. 2010

Welcome and welcome back to the Daily Chat thread -- introduce yourself, post your plans for today, share what's been happening, ask questions!

Some forum lingo:
NSV = Non-Scale Victory
TOM = time of the month
WI = Weigh-in
WF = Walden Farms

Progress photos have been moved to the Mini-Goal Photo Album.

Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home Page
Consider making it a bookmark or a favorite in your browser so you can come back easily to get your RDA of Ideal Protein information.
Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home Page

3FATCHICKS Forum Technical Stuff

Tickers and signatures:
There are 2 requirements to have access to signatures and tickers. You must have
  • been a member of 3fatchicks for 20 days
  • AND
  • posted at least 20 messages anywhere on the 3fatchicks forum.
When you've met those requirements check The Ultimate Signature and Ticker Thread
for more information and instructions.

Search: If you can't find what you're looking for in this forum using the website search function, try using Google. More information is here in this Search tip using Google

Quoting: The best quoting tip - EVER!! Thanks Rosie, aka 6710.

Other helpful links

Dr. Tran Tien Chanh's website

PDF file of Dr. Tran Tien Chanh's book, The Unbalanced Diet Approach to a Slimmer You

Have a terrific day!
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:59 AM   #2  
Third time's the charm!

S/C/G: 254.8/Ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Good morning!! I have been lingering on the site all week but reluctant to post.. Last week I was very horrible with my diet... I think I was a little too excited that my sister was here. And my Thanksgiving cheat threw me off completely. But as of Monday I am back on track 100%, and have dropped 5 of the 5.5 lbs I had gained since I weighed myself on Friday before Thanksgiving. I think most was water retention. Glad to be back into ketosis and back on track!
shrinkingsusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:18 AM   #3  
[url=http://www.3fatchick

S/C/G: 221-3/4/152/160

Height: 5 ft 2 inches

Today is WI....just another week when I get to wonder if I lost anything....why or why can't I just appreciate the fact that I'm over 56 lbs lighter than I was in June?...and does getting to goal weight put your mind at ease? In the meantime I'm following the program and trying to remember as the song says "they can't take that away from me".

Marilyn

P.S Has anyone heard from Melissa? Been thinking about her and the thyroid issue...hope she is well and knows she is missed.
pumpkyparry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:35 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
The only help I can offer is a comparison. I'm .5 inches shorter than you are, and have small bones. I'm pretty sure a good body weight, all other things like % of fat taken into consideration, is 124. I set a goal of 135 because I thought I could lose 49 pounds doing IP between June 15 and December 15 -- 8 pounds a month. Ha. If I'm right about the weight and you, too, are small boned, 123 doesn't sound too far-fetched. More practically I've set my goal at 26-27% body fat. Hope this helps.
Thanks, Linden... I've never thought of myself as small boned, I know there's a way to figure that out, measuring the wrist bone or something???..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling Stitcher View Post
OK, here's another thought on when you have reached an appropriate weight/size: for those of us who are diabetic, pre-diabetic, or have diabetes and/or cardiac disease in the family, consider your waist measurement. Latest research shows that the smaller the waist, the less likely you are to have heart disease. To quote Dr. Oz's web site:

"If you’re sporting a large waistline, your risk of dying prematurely is nearly double. The reason is because belly fat, often fondly referred to as a spare tire or a beer gut – sends out a toxic stream of chemicals impacting the whole body.

* Take your waist size once each month with a measuring tape.
* Measure at your natural waistline, which is above your hipbone and below the ribcage – not where your belt lies or around your hips. Be mindful of your posture and suck in your stomach since the fat you’re measuring is deep inside the belly.
* A waist size over 35 inches in women and over 40 inches in men greatly increases the risk of chronic diseases like diabetes, heart disease and more.
* The ideal waist size for women is 32 ½ inches and 35 inches for men. Click here to learn your body mass index, or BMI, to see how your waist size can impact your overall health."

Just another thing for everyone to take into consideration!
Great info, Traveling Stitcher!.. thanks... I had never heard that before... 32.5 inches!.. a long way from Scarlett O'Hara's 18.5".. what maybe some of us grew up believing was the ideal was a 24" waist, as in the classic hourglass figure, 36-24-36... time to chuck that outdated idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkingsusie View Post
Good morning!! I have been lingering on the site all week but reluctant to post.. Last week I was very horrible with my diet... I think I was a little too excited that my sister was here. And my Thanksgiving cheat threw me off completely. But as of Monday I am back on track 100%, and have dropped 5 of the 5.5 lbs I had gained since I weighed myself on Friday before Thanksgiving. I think most was water retention. Glad to be back into ketosis and back on track!
Congrats on getting back in the groove, Susie... one of the great things IP teaches us is how to recover from detours... you're doing great, & next time don't stop posting!!!.. we missed you...

hugs to all
Aunt Sheshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:58 AM   #5  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

CARRY OVER FROM YESTERDAY:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaCourez View Post
Well ladies, I'm going to second Carla's advice about being 'prepared' on this diet. I ate out twice today, and my WF individual packet saved my bacon both times. I'm just glad I had two in the Mary Poppins purse.

Also, remember that just reading the menu may not help. I ordered a salad with chicken on it for dinner, and when they brought it out it had cheese on it! Ugh. I managed to eat around it, but man, I was annoyed.
That little emergency pack is my best friend. I don't know how many times it has saved me! My coach gave me that tip the day I signed up. It was probably THE best piece of advice I got!

If I have the time, I usually read the menu, then call and ask how they prepare certain things.

When I order I tell the server I have food restrictions due to allergies and diet. I can't have any starches, gluten or, dairy. That usually keeps them from bringing me a dredged in Rue or flour item or something lightly breaded. It stops cheese or butter too. I still have to work around the carrot thing or specifically ask about carrot. I have only had 2 or 3 surprises brought to my table. I also ask what type of vinegar they offer with vinegar and oil. Many times I have to specifically request for the nutrition info if it is red wine. They often have one that is all zero carb, fat, calories. If not, I use just lemon and oil with salt and pepper to doctor up the wf dressing or by itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stikywiket View Post
Hi all. New forum member here, 28/female/west coast. First weigh in tomorrow as well after 6 days on the diet... wondering what the result will be since various scales have told me various things.

Also experienced some spotting starting today! Is this normal? Kind of freaked me out since I take Seasonale to AVOID having a period as it is. Guess this diet might override that at times?

By the way thank you for the recipes page. Tried to stir fry recipe (cauliflower rice) and it's great. Looking forward to giving other submissions a shot as time goes by!

I am sure more people will address this but, YES, Ideal Protein effects your hormones so MANY birth control methods are effected and, in some cases, become unreliable. There have been 4 surprise babies for women using this diet who use to be on this board in the past year. The spotting is also normal because of the hormone shift.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:10 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 254/246/180

Height: 5'8

Well, started out using my shakes today in preparation for my first appointment on Monday. So far, so good. Will be having a large green salad with spinach and mushrooms and some oil and vinegar for lunch along with another shake. This evening we are grilling chicken I marinated in a little olive oil and chipotle peppers along with a spinach salad and some roasted veggies.

I took everyone's advice and took some starting pictures yesterday and did an unofficial weigh-in this morning. I'm going to keep track of that along with whatever shows up on the scale on Monday. I'm very excited to get started.

A couple of questions though - I saw people mention the WF individual packs. Are you guys ordering that from WF or is there another site I should be looking at? There is a limited selection of WF stuff in my local grocery store but I think the individual packs would be just the thing for on the go stuff. TIA
TennesseeLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:14 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 349/278.2/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi All,

I'm back. I spent a week away for Canadian Thanksgiving and a bunch of family birthdays, including my own. I did put on weight, even though I stayed low carb. It wasn't low enough not to gain, but I didn't overeat while I was there or have high carb snacks while driving the 5 hour trip either way, so I consider it a success over all. I weighed before I left on the 9th, and the morning after returning on the 17th, and showed a 5 lb gain. As of this morning, I've lost the weight regained plus one pound. It's 6 lbs in 5 days, so I'm pretty happy it came off so quickly. I kept eating IP foods while I was "off protocol," so I haven't found it to be too hard to get back on track. Water consumption is a bit low, but I'll work on getting that back up over the next week now that I'm caught up and back into my regular schedule again.

On another subject, I have to admit I'm a bit confused by the waist size stats provided by Travelingstitcher from Dr. Oz. The measurements seem very large to me. When I'm slimmer, I have an "hourglass" figure with a small waist and generous butt and bust line, so my aim is the traditional 36-26-36 shape. At 32.5" waist I would still be far from lean. Remember when sizes reflected dimension? It used to be that a size 16 was a 36" waist, size 12 was 32", etc. By this measure, 32.5" waist is a tight size 12--still quite a bit larger than I want to be. And 35" seems quite well padded for men as well. I wonder if the stat might be more that it is ideal to have a waist size smaller than 32.5 for women and 35 for men? This would make sense in terms of the concerns for the waist-size/heart-health link. Any thoughts on this anyone?

Jackie
Jacqueline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #8  
Started IP 7/7/2010

S/C/G: 301/215 Restart 245/249/185

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeLeigh View Post
tarted.

A couple of questions though - I saw people mention the WF individual packs. Are you guys ordering that from WF or is there another site I should be looking at? There is a limited selection of WF stuff in my local grocery store but I think the individual packs would be just the thing for on the go stuff. TIA
I order my WF stuff from Netrition. They usually arrive pretty quickly. I have seen some of the products at my local store and at GNC, but Netrition is usually cheaper, sometimes has sales, and I like being able to look in my cupboard and remember what I have and decide what I want rather than being forgetful at the store.
Marionm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:23 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 254/246/180

Height: 5'8

Marion - thanks for the heads up. I'll take a look at that site.
TennesseeLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:35 PM   #10  
Started IP 7/7/2010

S/C/G: 301/215 Restart 245/249/185

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqueline View Post
Hi All,

On another subject, I have to admit I'm a bit confused by the waist size stats provided by Travelingstitcher from Dr. Oz. The measurements seem very large to me. When I'm slimmer, I have an "hourglass" figure with a small waist and generous butt and bust line, so my aim is the traditional 36-26-36 shape. At 32.5" waist I would still be far from lean. Remember when sizes reflected dimension? It used to be that a size 16 was a 36" waist, size 12 was 32", etc. By this measure, 32.5" waist is a tight size 12--still quite a bit larger than I want to be. And 35" seems quite well padded for men as well. I wonder if the stat might be more that it is ideal to have a waist size smaller than 32.5 for women and 35 for men? This would make sense in terms of the concerns for the waist-size/heart-health link. Any thoughts on this anyone?

Jackie
Jackie, I've been trying to get a handle on this myself and I think the key for this measurement is a ratio between hip and waist, but there are some qualifiers on it. I believe the other key is that it isn't necessarily an of being at a healthy weight so much as being at a reduced risk for heart problems.

I didn’t find a lot of detailed information on it, but several calculators with little tidbits. There were a couple of things I noticed that stood out. The first is that it’s not as much of an indicator for people that have BMI over 35. (I am just over that now.) They measure the waist at the smallest part, which is not where we've been measuring at the clinic--but really doesn't matter to me. For me that was 38” and my hips are 48".

So, if I put those measurements in, it shows my WHR is .79 which is considered safe. Obviously, I still need to get the BMI down, but it is an interesting indicator based on the research that shows apple shaped bodies are at greater risks.

Anyway, here are the couple of links I found if you want to look through them One
and two.

I am actually rather interested in this because my "skinny" husband who is about 140 pounds and 5'8" tall has developed a bit of a belly. It seems a silly thing at his size versus mine, but even though his body fat is lower, he may still be at higher risk. (I haven't measured him yet, but I suspect his waist is larger than his hips just based on appearance.)

Anyway, I hope this didn't just confuse you more. It's an interesting topic though. I don't think I'd substitute it for other measurements but rather use it as a check in addition to them.
Marionm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:04 PM   #11  
Skinny girl in training

S/C/G: H 336 Start IP 292/236/170

Height: 5'10

So how long did it take everyone to not be shocked when they step on the scale? Days I think I'll lose weight I'll be about the same, days I'm not expecting a loss I'll drop 2 lbs?!?! I'm pretty much always shocked to see a loss, but I'm not disappointed!
jency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:27 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 349/278.2/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionm View Post
Jackie, I've been trying to get a handle on this myself and I think the key for this measurement is a ratio between hip and waist, but there are some qualifiers on it. I believe the other key is that it isn't necessarily an of being at a healthy weight so much as being at a reduced risk for heart problems.

I didn’t find a lot of detailed information on it, but several calculators with little tidbits. There were a couple of things I noticed that stood out. The first is that it’s not as much of an indicator for people that have BMI over 35. (I am just over that now.) They measure the waist at the smallest part, which is not where we've been measuring at the clinic--but really doesn't matter to me. For me that was 38” and my hips are 48".

So, if I put those measurements in, it shows my WHR is .79 which is considered safe. Obviously, I still need to get the BMI down, but it is an interesting indicator based on the research that shows apple shaped bodies are at greater risks.

Anyway, here are the couple of links I found if you want to look through them One
and two.

I don't think I'd substitute it for other measurements but rather use it as a check in addition to them.
Thanks, Marion. The ratio makes much more sense than an absolute measurement, and is always how I had approached this issue also. Thanks, too, for the links.

Jackie
Jacqueline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:07 PM   #13  
maintaining as of 6/1/11!

S/C/G: 213.2/143/145

Height: 5'2" - size 2-4!

So, I put away my summer clothes for the winter today and got out all my sweaters. I'm hoping that when it comes time to put the sweaters away and get my summer stuff back out, I'll have to give it all away and go shopping! Fingers crossed...
Mrs Diettrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:32 PM   #14  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Sheshie View Post
Thanks, Linden... I've never thought of myself as small boned, I know there's a way to figure that out, measuring the wrist bone or something???..
I never gave this much thought until about 20 years ago when two things happened. I have large hands and feet and always said the hands were because I played the piano so much when I was little --until someone pointed out I didn't play the piano with my feet. Then within two weeks a doctor said something about my being so small boned. I fit into that category based on the chart below.Body frame size is determined by a person's wrist circumference in relation to his height. For example, a man whose height is over 5' 5" and wrist is 6" would fall into the small-boned category.

Edit: Should have said this come from the NY Times via the Penn Health site.

Determining frame size: To determine the body frame size, measure the wrist with a tape measure and use the following chart to determine whether the person is small, medium, or large boned.

Women:

* Height under 5'2"
o Small = wrist size less than 5.5"
o Medium = wrist size 5.5" to 5.75"
o Large = wrist size over 5.75"
* Height 5'2" to 5' 5"
o Small = wrist size less than 6"
o Medium = wrist size 6" to 6.25"
o Large = wrist size over 6.25"
* Height over 5' 5"
o Small = wrist size less than 6.25"
o Medium = wrist size 6.25" to 6.5"
o Large = wrist size over 6.5"

Men:

* Height over 5' 5"
o Small = wrist size 5.5" to 6.5"
o Medium = wrist size 6.5" to 7.5"
o Large = wrist size over 7.5"

Last edited by Linden; 10-22-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:38 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 250/227/180

Height: 64 ins

Smile Trying In Iowa

I am doing the IP diet, but I have gained back about 30 pounds. I am trying to get it back off, but it is impossible. I would value any ideas.
THanks!
Trying in Iowa is offline   Reply With Quote