Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 10:04 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 223/see ticker/160

Height: 5'4"

Default Start of Day 4!!!

Good morning!

You guys really are an inspiration!
I still have my question on ketosis though. When I read through the boards, its sounds like some kind of nervana! I'm not sure I'm there...

I am not hungry and don't have cravings (except maybe for a glass of wine after work, but that's just habit because it was my comfort, relax thing). I can't say I have a lot of energy though. I've been sleepier than normal the last two evenings. The last two mornings I've had a very mild headache first thing and I rarely have headaches.

The good news is that my scale says that I've lost almost 4 pounds as of this morning. I just wonder what this ketosis feeling is?
Old 09-23-2010, 10:06 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 233.5/214/160

Height: 5'3"

Default Top of the Monin' to All!!

Good Thursday Morning....here's to another wonderful IP day!!
Everyone is doing great on the Hallowe'en Challenge, if you haven't posted this weeks weight be sure to do it!!
I have up my water to 112 -128 and have lost every day since I started that, somedays only .6 of a lb, but it is a lose!!! So drink, drink, drink your water!!!
Old 09-23-2010, 10:30 AM   #18  
getting back on track

S/C/G: 187/172/150

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Jayne View Post
THANKS ! for your quick reply......Would this be for 'diet' soda as well?
all sodas are bad... think about it, you can use it to remove rust from your car engine and to clean toilet bowl...regular or diet... it eats at your bones
Old 09-23-2010, 10:41 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 202/165/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by rox824 View Post
Waking up to a great day and feeling positive about this lifestyle change. The pounds may not seem to be moving, but the inches are! Hmmm, does that mean the fat is just migrating around and eventually I'll have 36" ankles?
Lol. Lord help us if that's what going to happen. I can't even imagine 36" cankles. Sheesh.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:00 AM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaarin View Post
Good morning!

You guys really are an inspiration!
I still have my question on ketosis though. When I read through the boards, its sounds like some kind of nervana! I'm not sure I'm there...

I am not hungry and don't have cravings (except maybe for a glass of wine after work, but that's just habit because it was my comfort, relax thing). I can't say I have a lot of energy though. I've been sleepier than normal the last two evenings. The last two mornings I've had a very mild headache first thing and I rarely have headaches.

The good news is that my scale says that I've lost almost 4 pounds as of this morning. I just wonder what this ketosis feeling is?
Good Morning kaarin....sounds like you are in ketosis if you are not hungry all the time is a great sign. Make sure you are getting the right amount of sea salt, that should help with the headaches (gotta keep you electrolytes up). Your energy should pick up, just make sure you are getting all the protein you are supposed to. The IP packs are specifically formulated for us to ensure we get the protein we need.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:05 AM   #21  

I was just on the NewLife site and it looks like most of their shakes and puddings have fructose as one of the 1st or 2nd ingredients and that is a no no for us!
Old 09-23-2010, 11:10 AM   #22  
Began IP 8-18-10

S/C/G: 179.7/152.9/130

Height: 5'3'

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatnFunky View Post
Dear IP friends, I need a PEP talk! I am drinking over 100 oz of water per day, I am weighing and measuring, and I haven't even come close to cheating. The only thing I do have trouble with is my schedule doesn't allow me to eat every 4 hours. Breakfast drink is at 7, lunch is at 12, Dinner is at 5-5:30 and my snack is at 8. After a nice first 2 weeks, (14 pounds), I have stalled. My scale at home has only moved .5 pounds in 2 weeks. I am feeling so discouraged. Inches have slowed too. I have added walking every other day. TOM is completely messed up, used to be like a clock--last month 5 days early, this month 5 days late and still waiting! PMS is OOC, and I need some help! I am also at the weight where I stall at every diet I have ever done. Please help me get past this road block!!!! I am getting desperate. How can I possibly consume less than 1000 calories a day for 14 days and see such small results when others do so well? I am sure I am not the only one that has faced this -- Any suggestions?
We started exactly the same day and I have only lost a few more pounds than you. I wouldn't worry. Are you measuring your foods, along with your olive oil and sea salt. Are you eating any restricted items? I have only had 3 in the past 5 weeks. It will happen!
Old 09-23-2010, 11:54 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 248.6/215.6/155

Height: 5'7"

Good morning, all. I survived my travel day. I ate my "regular" meal at lunch because my flight to TX was right after work. I brought along a bar - which was a good thing, since my flight was delayed and the layover didn't allow me enough time to find anything to eat. I even brought my granddaughters the 2 peanut packages from the plane. I brought my IP packets and shaker, and I'm ready for a great weekend. We may be going to the TX state fair tomorrow, but I think I can handle it. My DD knows I'm on IP, so I won't be tempted to cheat while we're there. Today, I'll go to the store and buy my salad fixin's and I'll be all set

Last edited by gibster; 09-23-2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:08 PM   #24  
Skinny girl in training

S/C/G: H 336 Start IP 292/236/170

Height: 5'10

FatnFunky ... I can't remember where I read this at but it helps me get through my plateaus. As you put on the weight there were times that your weight stayed around the same, no matter what you were eating. It's the same way on the way back down. Your body will just stall out at random weights while it readjusts. Just stick to the protocol and things will get moving along soon enough. I lost 14 lbs my first week and then stalled out for about 6 days... and now after three weeks I've lost 22 lbs... so it all evens out in the long run
Old 09-23-2010, 12:22 PM   #25  
Phase 4 - Aug 14, 2010

S/C/G: 192.5/158/125

Height: 5'5"

FatNFunky
So I think by my calculations you have averaged -4.67 week, total down 14.5/4 weeks???? whooop whhoopppp..... that is fantastic. A true plateau is no movement for 30 days, yes your body will adjust at certain times but if you a following the program it is working do not get discouraged, dont base your journey on others results. Are you going to the bathroom? Water, salt, oil, veggies..... what has changed since the first 2 weeks, it can be something as simple as sugar free gum or mints that can have a negative affect, really look at your journal, weigh and measure everything and write down everything. My motto is dont fail the program it wont fail you, it is tried, tested and true. PS I love your name but soon you will have to change your name to ThinNFunky
Old 09-23-2010, 12:32 PM   #26  
I assure you, I'm swell.

S/C/G: 250/230/175

Height: 5'6

Mornin' everyone. Today is my first official WI... wish me luck... I'm off to see the wizard.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:34 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 212.5/173/137

Height: 5'7.5"

After being stalled, I finally dropped 1 1/4 pounds overnight and am now down 20 pounds! YAY!

When I first started this program I couldn't even visualize myself having a waist or thin legs, it had been so long. Now I can imagine it, which is delightful, and seeing it starting to happen in the mirror, is even better.

Today I put on a blouse that I bought a few years ago - it was kind of aspirational even then, because the sleeves were tight. So I never wore it, since my arms looked terrible in it. Today, it's loose around the arms. (The arms still need some shape but I'll take the progress!)
Old 09-23-2010, 12:37 PM   #28  
Jess

S/C/G: 282.4/228.1/165

I'm still pretty new to the IP diet. I'm in week 3. But today I had a moment that makes all the salad and vegetables worth it. While I've only lost 8.5 lbs I'm sure the inches are coming off faster as I have baggy butt syndrome in all of my pants. Today I opened up my jeans drawer and pulled out that pair of "someday I'll fit into them" jeans. THEY FIT!!! Not only did they fit they were a bit loose. I have never been happier. It's the motivation I needed when I was starting to feel down about this diet. For those of you that have been doing this for a while, you know what I mean. So thanks 3FC for being there for me in the good times and bad!
Old 09-23-2010, 12:42 PM   #29  
Dave - The Speedo King

Quote:
Can someone differentiate between 'frying' veggies, and 'stir fry'. I cook my veggies in a pan with olive oil and sea salt every day. Is this slowing my weight loss? TIA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
WELL.... it seems that there is little difference in heat (both use high temperature). Most of the difference is in the type of pan, size of pieces being cooked, the amount of oil used, and how frequently it is turned.

The link below is just one persons take on the different methods of "frying or sauteing foods".
http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/blog...-and-stir-fry/

I am not entirely sure why we don't do this on the program. It could be the increased amount of fat in foods that are cooked in oil at high heat.. we are avoiding that. It could be the destruction of nutrients do to the high heat. It could be the destruction of fiber at high heat. It could be the release of sugars ie increase of sugar levels in veggies cooked at high heat.

In any case, it is recommended to use little oil, enough to avoid sticking and no more, and lower to medium levels of heat.. NO FRYING.
I saw this on yesterday's thread and had to respond.

Let’s take a look at this from a different perspective. Instead of veggies, insert chicken. Is there a difference between frying chicken and chicken stir fry? Is one healthier than the other? Of course!

A person doesn’t go to a restaurant and order ‘fried veggies’ unless we’re talking about fried green tomatoes, for example. A side of veggies in the cooking world almost always means steamed or sautéed.

When I read the Phase 1 sheet and it says “No Frying or Breading” I take that to mean “No Fried Chicken” and not “No Pan-seared Chicken” and, by extension, “No Fried Green Tomatoes” and not “No Sautéed Vegetables.” That can be extended to fried fish, fried shrimp or french fries, but I just can’t get to fried veggies from there…

Green Peppers, for example, need to be cooked according to Phase 1 protocol. I grill my peppers most of the time, but have no problem sautéing them in a sauté pan (which some people refer to as a frying pan) with my daily amount of olive oil along with some zucchini.

I prefer the term "pan-searing" to "pan-frying" when it comes to cooking meat and fish because it's more accurate. It occurs at slightly lower heat (medium, as opposed to medium high) to ensure that the meat is thoroughly cooked without burning the outside of the meat. Adding salt alters the protein structure on the outside of the meat, which allows it to brown more effectively, thus enhancing the flavor.

Sautéed vegetables cooked with a smaller amount of oil (as per Phase 1 protocol) will also need to be cooked at lower heat to ensure that they don’t burn. Sautéing for me means that I toss my veggies in the pan frequently. I’m cooking, not caramelizing, and I don’t want them to burn. I want them cooked but not overdone. Sauté does not mean soggy. I never "turn" my veggies (who needs a spatula when you've got a good sauté pan?), and I flip my meat once during pan-searing because it cooks evenly that way.

I hope that makes sense.

On a related note, I find myself wondering if Carla or anyone else has access to a revised Phase 1 sheet that could be posted.

Last edited by salesgod; 09-23-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:56 PM   #30  

Quote:
Dear IP friends, I need a PEP talk! I am drinking over 100 oz of water per day, I am weighing and measuring, and I haven't even come close to cheating. The only thing I do have trouble with is my schedule doesn't allow me to eat every 4 hours. Breakfast drink is at 7, lunch is at 12, Dinner is at 5-5:30 and my snack is at 8. After a nice first 2 weeks, (14 pounds), I have stalled. My scale at home has only moved .5 pounds in 2 weeks. I am feeling so discouraged. Inches have slowed too. I have added walking every other day. TOM is completely messed up, used to be like a clock--last month 5 days early, this month 5 days late and still waiting! PMS is OOC, and I need some help! I am also at the weight where I stall at every diet I have ever done. Please help me get past this road block!!!! I am getting desperate. How can I possibly consume less than 1000 calories a day for 14 days and see such small results when others do so well? I am sure I am not the only one that has faced this -- Any suggestions?
First, take a deep breath. Exhale. Then again. It will be alright.

From what I've read -- Wannabe may be pulling from the same reference -- a plateau on IP is defined as no weight loss for 30 days while complying with the program.

A couple of program related questions:
- What supplements are you taking?
- Are you getting the required amounts of oil?

More "situational-type" questions:
- Are you hungry?
- Do you have cravings?
- What is your level of energy?
- How is your sleep?
- How do you feel about doing another 2 weeks on Phase 1?

You're frustrated and probably a bit scared to see the scale stay at the same number. Sometimes our bodies are cycle between healing and fat burning. That may be what's happening for you. Would you be willing to put the scale away for two weeks?

What has your coach told you?

About the menstrual cycle changes: Many women experience a change in their menstrual cycle. IP and other low carb programs eliminate the stimulus (simple carbohydrates) for insulin release from the pancreas. The pancreas is just one player in the endocrine system which includes the adrenals, the ovaries, the pituitary, and others. If you change the amount of one particular hormone in the system, the others will be affected. Also, estrogen is stored in body fat, so as you burn fat it's as if you've gained an ovary or two.
Closed Thread