Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 06:00 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 349/278.2/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherDuckMJ View Post
Problem is I am feeling so emotional today for some reason, low energy horrible food cravings. Again it's totally not hunger related this is emotional food cravings which has always been my down fall. I am such a food addict!

Can others relate to this? Can you tell me what you do to get yourself through it? I was actually crying on my husbands shoulder this morning about not being able to eat the foods I wanted to! Argh, will this fat lady ever get free from this?

I have still stayed true to program but yesterday and today have been all about food obsession and I hate this feeling!
MDMJ--boy can I relate! I think many of us can. What I am finding after 5 weeks is that my food obsessive thinking is getting quieter. As I mentioned on yesterday's chat, my plans for Thanksgiving and my upcoming birthday are shifting, becoming less overblown, less "treat" focused.

Food is an emotion ridden subject for me (first diet at the age of 6), so when it comes to food I tend to plan, so I've been planning my drive and my time away, and I talked about it with my coach today, even though it's 4 weeks away--because I need to feel secure about my food choices when I'm not at home. So I'm planning, but my planning is shifting. I'm actually surprised when I think of what I would want to eat while driving, while celebrating. Now I'm saying to myself, "Do I really want that? Well, gee, not really anymore." My daydreams of donuts, brie on crackers and cake, cake, cake are subsiding. Much to my astonishment!!!!

And now I'm feeling good about how it might shift even further. I'm thinking less about what goodies I can have and more about how I can celebrate while staying on/close to program. This is very weird thinking for me, but I sure hope it continues. So, just know you're not alone in thinking obsessively about food.

But what about dealing with the emotions right NOW? Many people find that journaling about emotions helps to diffuse them. In difficult times when I'm in danger of losing it food-wise, I have a three step process to disperse the emotional content:
Step 1: Acknowledge how and what you're feeling--name the emotion if you can. Are you sad, angry, fearful, ...?
Step 2: Write about what you're feeling, what's going on that caused you to feel that way, and what's going on food-wise, and how you can handle it better now or next time if it's something that's happened that's upset you.
Step 3: "Tap" on it. Use emotional freedom technique (EFT), aka meridian tapping technique(MTT), to help to expel the emotion and let you eat, or not, in peace. This process really works.

There's lot's of info about EFT on the internet. If you'd like, I'd be happy to teach it to you by phone if we can connect. I tried to PM you, but I guess you haven't been on the list long enough yet. I'm not sure what the rules are for personal contact, but if it's okay with the moderators, I could post my web address so you can find my direct contact info there; if not my web address, my business phone number. (Moderators: What is okay??)

Jackie
Old 09-10-2010, 06:06 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 202/165/150

Well, I'm the not-so-proud owner of a severe upper respiratory infection. Here's to hoping that the antibiotics don't completely screw me up.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:18 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 191/155/155 -- revised to /145

Height: 5'6"

Had my first official weigh in since vacation and I'm down 2 pounds! Yippee Skippy! It hasn't been an easy week, but has served as good lesson for not cheating. The head aches are back and I'm starving! So, no more cheats, no more whining, I'm getting back on the straight and narrow!

I know there has been a lot of talk about coaches, some not knowing the program, so I want to share my experience. First, my gyn is the one offering IP; he has lost more than 90 pounds on the diet. My coach, who I thought was one of those naturally skinny-minnies, has actually lost more than 70 pounds on IP since the first of the year. When I was checking out today, there was a before and after photo of her and I didn't even realize it was her. It explains why both she and doc are so strict and play it exactly by the rules. They know it works!

I am beginning to think I might be allergic to either dairy or gluten. While many on here have to worry about the big C while on IP, for the first time in many years I'm not gassy -- heck, I'm "normal." (I'm sorry if this is TMI). Has anyone else experienced this? This has been a nice "side effect" of IP for me.

Okay, sorry to ramble on ....
Old 09-10-2010, 06:27 PM   #34  
The Dress

S/C/G: 235/223/150

Soon to be- sorry your under the weather(get well hugs!!)

Jackie- great post! I took an online journaling class,awhile back.. it does help, but you have to make the time to journal, esp when your feeling "funky"

Oh I forgot to post earlier that I actually fit into new 16W pull on petite jeans ( Just my size brand)!! woo hoo!!!!
Old 09-10-2010, 06:30 PM   #35  
The Dress

S/C/G: 235/223/150

[QUOTE=calebs grandma;3475451]
............while on IP, for the first time in many years I'm not gassy -- heck, I'm "normal." (I'm sorry if this is TMI). Has anyone else experienced this? This has been a nice "side effect" of IP for me.
[QUOTE]

Yup, it's been 'quieter' at my house too...
Old 09-10-2010, 06:34 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 233.5/214/160

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon 2 B MrsT View Post
Well, I'm the not-so-proud owner of a severe upper respiratory infection. Here's to hoping that the antibiotics don't completely screw me up.
Hope you are feeling better soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebs grandma View Post
Had my first official weigh in since vacation and I'm down 2 pounds! Yippee Skippy! It hasn't been an easy week, but has served as good lesson for not cheating. The head aches are back and I'm starving! So, no more cheats, no more whining, I'm getting back on the straight and narrow!

I know there has been a lot of talk about coaches, some not knowing the program, so I want to share my experience. First, my gyn is the one offering IP; he has lost more than 90 pounds on the diet. My coach, who I thought was one of those naturally skinny-minnies, has actually lost more than 70 pounds on IP since the first of the year. When I was checking out today, there was a before and after photo of her and I didn't even realize it was her. It explains why both she and doc are so strict and play it exactly by the rules. They know it works!

I am beginning to think I might be allergic to either dairy or gluten. While many on here have to worry about the big C while on IP, for the first time in many years I'm not gassy -- heck, I'm "normal." (I'm sorry if this is TMI). Has anyone else experienced this? This has been a nice "side effect" of IP for me.

Okay, sorry to ramble on ....
I am the same, was very gassy, had IBS for 30 years, took 12 - 16 Imodium a day!!! As long as I stay on protocol I am fine and only take ONE a day now. For that alone IP was huge for me
Old 09-10-2010, 06:36 PM   #37  
Second time around

S/C/G: 181.2/181.2/155

Height: 5'5"

I too have the problem of wanting the foods I can't have on this program. Sometimes it's not bad but when it hits, it really hits. I get so mad at myself for letting this weight creep up on me. I have a quote that I have on my frig, it says: NOTHING TASTE AS GOOD AS FEELING THIN FEELS. Now when I sit in front of the tv at night when I used to munch all night long, I have a cup of peppermint tea or two.

During the day, I take off on a walk when I'm having the urge to open the frig and see what there is to eat. Puts it out of your mind. Also the journal is a very good idea. Write it down what you are feeling. Every night I make a point of it and track my progress along with the minutes walked everyday. My dog is loving this diet stuff. Means extra long walks for her
Old 09-10-2010, 07:08 PM   #38  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey View Post
I have to tell you - I am in the 6s. It feels so nice. I think I'm right around the weight now that I was when I met my hubby 5 years ago. I told him the other morning, everything from here on out is just icing on the cake for him. LOL He's supportive. He doesn't always make the right choices where I am concerned and food is involved. Deep down I know he hates the diet and wants his old fun loving, bad eating wife back. He won't get her, but eventually it will be easier, for both of us, and we're getting closer all the time.
That number has got to feel amazing! You said that you'd made some changes in the last few weeks. What were they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniestf View Post
I used it the first time I did IP (a couple of years ago). I did a half doses for two weeks at the begining of the program and half doses for two weeks at the begining of phase 2. It work well (I think). I'm not sure it did much overall though.... I'm not much help am I
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniestf View Post
I did a half dose because I was not having any elimination problems. My coach recommended the half dose so I would not end up running to the bathroom!!! As far as cramping and bloating...I did not have any issues. I think you need to make sure that you take the pills and the liquid...The liquid is the one that is supposed to stop bloating and cramping and stuff...
Thanks for coming in to post! How are you doing on the program now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowahawkeyemom View Post
Happy Friday Everyone!
IP is getting easier everyday for me now. I made salads last night for my husband and myself, he doesn't need to lose weight but just enjoys a good salad. Anyway, I was talking on the phone and the salads were sitting on the counter waiting for him to come in for dinner. By old habits, I started to pick up a small amount of cheese that was on his salad (not mine) and was going to taste it. Low and behold, I caught myself before it made it to my mouth. I stayed loyal to IP. Patting myself on the back here
It's funny when you catch yourself in those moments. Absent minded eating explains some of how we got here, don't you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkyparry View Post
More congratulations Kelsey from your "twin".....I 'm reveling in being in the 70's and sooooo looking forward to joining you in the lower numbers! I'm re-thinking my goal weight since I discovered I'm still "obese"...here I thought I was doing great..lol You sound like you have a good guy and I'm sure he's very proud of you!!!!
You are doing great! You can't move down to being overweight if you're not obese. You'll be in the 60s and cross the BMI of 30 before long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by damgi View Post
thanks to a heads up from Dave a couple of weeks back when Lindora was having a sale, I went ahead and ordered 2 boxes of bars. Dave mentioned that the Caramel Nut bars were identical so I got 1 box of those and one box of Caramel Delight. I reviewed the ingredients on the Delight bars and didn't see anything that didn't also appear on IPs various ingredients, so I hope they are okay.

I was a little skeptical about the identicalness between Lindora and IP regarding the Nut Bars (sorry Dave). But, they are identical!!
It's always good to get a second opinion -- thanks for yours. I think the esteemed BevS has also sussed them out and gave the IPer stamp of approval, so I guess you're the third opinion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqueline View Post
Good news on official WI today--down another 7.6 lbs in two weeks since last WI! Official weight 322.4. Have lost 24.6 lbs in 5 weeks 2 days! Yay, yay, yay! And no headache today--Yay again!

I think I'm going to put my home scale away. This morning it said I was 327.4--5 lbs higher than my WI --go figure. Last time the difference was 2 lbs, so it's not even consistent in its inaccuracy! Certainly watching the scale does give one incentive, but if I'm going to WI it at home on off-weeks when I don't see my coach, I'll have to get a scale that works!
on your lbs lost this week and since starting. Weighing daily can mess with my mind too. Sometimes I've sent my on furlough.
Quote:
So I'm on the way to our county fair with three of our children, and hubby in tow, to see the goats, ferrets and chickens up close for real! Problem is I am feeling so emotional today for some reason, low energy horrible food cravings. Again it's totally not hunger related this is emotional food cravings which has always been my down fall. I am such a food addict!

Can others relate to this? Can you tell me what you do to get yourself through it? I was actually crying on my husbands shoulder this morning about not being able to eat the foods I wanted to! Argh, will this fat lady ever get free from this?

I have still stayed true to program but yesterday and today have been all about food obsession and I hate this feeling!

I'm at two weeks with 17 pounds lost now, I should be glowing instead of feeling sorry for myself!
It will pass. It's still early days for you and the switch to IP eating is a Capital M-major adjustment. From what I've read, some people have found that the emotional and physical cravings disappear; others have found that the cravings recur but are FAR more manageable.

Enjoy your time at the fair and imagine what it will be like to be there next year pounds and pounds lighter with the freedom and maybe even the desire to say no to that food !
Quote:
Originally Posted by nursemel View Post
Hi IPers,
I am in day 7 of the program. Had a great 1st week 6.6 lbs lost., but I am still hungry. Sometimes I feel so famished I could eat a "ferret" When will I get to the point where I won't feel hungry? I am not sure if I am in ketosis or not - still no metallic/bad breath?
Hunger: Are you eating everything you're allowed: 4 cups veggies + unlimited lettuce + 3 packets + 2 tsp oil? If yes, play around with the timing of when you have your veggies. Sometimes having them as a snack fills the gap. If that doesn't work, have another IP packet or maybe a hardboiled egg. I'm 8 or 9 weeks into the program and I still get the hungries. I have 4 packets/day quite frequently.
If you're following the program and losing weight, don't worry about ketosis -- you're in it. There's at least one thread about ketosis in the first two pages of the list of threads. If you want to know more, that would be a good place to start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqueline View Post
What I am finding after 5 weeks is that my food obsessive thinking is getting quieter. As I mentioned on yesterday's chat, my plans for Thanksgiving and my upcoming birthday are shifting, becoming less overblown, less "treat" focused.

... So I'm planning, but my planning is shifting. I'm actually surprised when I think of what I would want to eat while driving, while celebrating. Now I'm saying to myself, "Do I really want that? Well, gee, not really anymore." My daydreams of donuts, brie on crackers and cake, cake, cake are subsiding. Much to my astonishment!!!!

And now I'm feeling good about how it might shift even further. I'm thinking less about what goodies I can have and more about how I can celebrate while staying on/close to program. This is very weird thinking for me, but I sure hope it continues. So, just know you're not alone in thinking obsessively about food.
Jackie, what a wonderful NSV! You're creating a fantastic foundation for eating in a way that truly nourishes you. Your journaling tips are awesome. I've read about EFT, even printed off some web pages, but never did much with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon 2 B MrsT View Post
Get your hands on some pro-biotics STAT! ... lactobacillus acidophilus and bifidus are two of the bacteria strains in your gut that can be killed off by antibiotics. There may be some IP ones, and they're available at almost every health food store and even grocery stores now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebs grandma View Post

Congrats on kissing 2 lbs good bye even though it was a rough week. How lucky you are that both your doc and your coach have lost significant weight on IP. It must really help to have people who've been where you are.

Grains are very often the source of flatulence. When you get to maintenance you can play around with a week with no dairy or no grains to see whether it's one or the other. I've noticed a real improvement with eating no grains that I can't see starting to eat them again. If I have to in Phase 3, I will, but phase 4, I'll be dropping them like a hot bowl of oatmeal.

Last edited by I'm svelting!; 09-10-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:16 PM   #39  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

S/C/G: 185/126/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey View Post
Coastal, did you just call Novak a wise old goat? J/K!!! That was so funny!

I have to tell you - I am in the 6s. It feels so nice. I think I'm right around the weight now that I was when I met my hubby 5 years ago. I told him the other morning, everything from here on out is just icing on the cake for him. LOL He's supportive. He doesn't always make the right choices where I am concerned and food is involved. Deep down I know he hates the diet and wants his old fun loving, bad eating wife back. He won't get her, but eventually it will be easier, for both of us, and we're getting closer all the time.
Hey! I resemble that remark!

Kelsey, I am so proud of you and your progress. Just hang onto how worth it this all is. You've gotten a taste, and it just gets better!
Old 09-10-2010, 07:17 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 212.5/173/137

Height: 5'7.5"

Quote:
So I'm on the way to our county fair with three of our children, and hubby in tow, to see the goats, ferrets and chickens up close for real! Problem is I am feeling so emotional today for some reason, low energy horrible food cravings. Again it's totally not hunger related this is emotional food cravings which has always been my down fall. I am such a food addict!

Thanks guys hope your all having a way better day then I'm having.

I'm at two weeks with 17 pounds lost now, I should be glowing instead of feeling sorry for myself!

p.s.
If I didn't have you guys to check in with I don't think I'd be making it on IP, I am so grateful that you log in each day and share. Those of you who run this board and moderate, you have my undying admiration. Thank-you from the bottom of my heart.

Need more of this!
I call myself an emotional overeater, and especially at the beginning I had some real tough days getting used to the new regimen. My solution was to overeat using the IP foods - to have a bar, and then if I really needed it, another. I figured that overeating those was way better than going back to the foods that set off cravings. The good part was that usually one bar was so satisfying that it took care of the neediness I was experiencing.

Another tactic my husband and I did (he was on the program to lose about 10 pounds) was buy a large variety of the foods, so that any particular craving - for salt or sweet - could be addressed by one of the IP foods. I know not all coaches allow all foods, but we decided to buy some "ahead" so we'd have a feeling of abundance, since both of us kind of grew up with starvation mentalities.

So far it's worked. Seeing the boxes of food takes care of the mental stuff (just knowing it's there; I don't have to eat it), and the body chemistry has changed so the cravings are gone. Whoever thought I'd be able to kick Starbucks to the door??? Now when ads come on TV for some tempting thing, I tell myself it's yucky and makes me feel sick to see it. Why shouldn't I be in charge of programming my mind instead of letting food manufacturers do it?
Old 09-10-2010, 07:25 PM   #41  
Soon To Be FitnFunky

S/C/G: 196/156/136

Height: 5' 1"

Hi Everybody!

I don't post much, but I read this thread EVERY DAY. It is probably the single most important key to success I have found. I cannot thank all of you enough for making me laugh and for putting my mind at ease. I feel like I can relate to every single one of you - the success and the struggles.

I love this diet, I love how I feel and have found it to be really easy to stay focused. Even though I was prepared for the inevitable 'mini plateau' that comes with week three, I still found myself disappointed with a 2.2 lb loss. Funny, 2 pounds a week on any other diet would be considered a great week.

Thank all of you for being here to inspire and encourage! Your open and refreshingly candid comments are the best therapy I could want! I rely on all of you way more than my coach!! For those of you struggling, just keep reading, and for those of you succeeding - keep posting! On any given day - the roles can reverse -- We are all in this together!!

Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 09-10-2010, 07:36 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 241/173/150

Height: 5'5

Had my weigh in today and I was down 5 pounds! I think this is the biggest loss since my very first weigh in. BUT that's wasn't the only celebration this week. My total weight loss is now 60 pounds!!!!!!

Yesterday I got together with some friends that I haven't seen in a few months and they were all so shocked to see me. They kept telling me how great I looked and how tiny I was.

At my weigh in today I was telling the Dr how I'm finally starting to feel like the me that I know. What a good feeling! I also have a NSV to report..... Today I
am wearing size 14 pants! I was a size 14 before when I weighed 150lbs. Now I'm fitting in a 14 at 180lbs. I love IP!!!!
Old 09-10-2010, 07:50 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 221/165/155 started 8/10/10

Height: 5' 8 1/2"

It's official....I've entered onederland! Had a WI today....198.5 Have lost 22.5 lbs since August 10th. Only lost 3 lbs in the past week, though, in spite of never cheating and measuring everything, but it's okay. I'll take 3 lbs. LOVE THIS DIET!

Last edited by loves2swim; 09-10-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:55 PM   #44  
Started IP 7/7/2010

S/C/G: 301/215 Restart 245/249/185

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelliemom View Post
Had my weigh in today and I was down 5 pounds! I think this is the biggest loss since my very first weigh in. BUT that's wasn't the only celebration this week. My total weight loss is now 60 pounds!!!!!!

Yesterday I got together with some friends that I haven't seen in a few months and they were all so shocked to see me. They kept telling me how great I looked and how tiny I was.

At my weigh in today I was telling the Dr how I'm finally starting to feel like the me that I know. What a good feeling! I also have a NSV to report..... Today I
am wearing size 14 pants! I was a size 14 before when I weighed 150lbs. Now I'm fitting in a 14 at 180lbs. I love IP!!!!
Congratulations! That's awesome!
Old 09-10-2010, 08:01 PM   #45  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastalcrafter View Post
Talking Goat Insults Ferrets after the Ferrets Insult the '3 chicken sistas' who were vocalizing too loud about their weight and woke them up.
DId you just call Dave an old goat? Don't you think satyr would be more respectful?

Last edited by Linden; 09-10-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Closed Thread