Height: 5' 10"

Default Birman's goals and plans: Mon Mar 14 - Sun Mar 21

Birman this week:

Goals:
  • Start stabilizing on SS diet
  • Stay under 200 lbs
  • Do more exercise this week than last week

Plans:
  • Stick to strick SS diet, but with minimal carbs at this point. Fat and calorie levels will increase the most, but still be moderate.
  • See physical therapist about shoulder
  • Start muscle toning exercise
  • Read all posts every day in the main IP thread, the alternate thread, and this thread
  • Post 3 times this week

Support requested:
  • Trust that I mean well for everyone (which I do). Give me the benefit of the doubt (even when I phrase things like crap). Kudos are nice. But this is what I need here the most.
Birman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:11 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 192/192/150

Height: 5'5"

Good Morning, Down another 1.2 pounds today (that's 3.6 in the last week and a half). YAY I'm quite happy with that sooo....

My goal for the week is to continue eating healthy and get on my treadmill at least once a day for a very minimum of 20 minutes...to support my weight loss and tighten things up!!

My plan is to get up half hour earlier in the morning to get in some much needed exercise. Try out new recipes from the No Sugar, No Flour diet book. My plan is to get alot of rest, sleep and caught up at work so that I can relax.

Support I could use this week....well Friday I go in for surgery to remove lesions/cysts from both my breasts. The mamogram/ultrasound/biopsy found abnormal tissue but all tests came back showing NO signs of malignancies WHEW. They want to be on the safe side and remove the tissue/cells so that in future I'll have a clear mammogram to see if there is any change. Kind of nerve wracking this whole ordeal has been but soon will be behind me. Just being put to sleep for the surgery scares me enough...that fear of NOT waking up.

Started today with Rice Puffs, skim milk and strawberries and for lunch I'll have my normal "greek salad". Not sure about dinner but probably veggies and fish. Water Water Water lol

Have a great day/week everyone.

Keep coming back!! Trish x0
skittlescda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:41 PM   #33  

I'm almost wondering if I can support the IP diet anymore when it puts so much emphasis on ketosis and when I read posts like the one I just read on another forum by Soccermomof93 about being in Ketosis...and then about counting carbs. I'm wondering what your thoughts are on this ketosis thing and testing strips/sticks and counting carbs. Did you do it and it just seems so sad when I read that people are so terribly upset about being in/out of ketosis.
Just venting but would love to hear what everyone has to say about this topic.
Have a nice evening!
Old 03-15-2010, 11:42 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 237/184/157

Skittles, what exactly is your concern about it?
Old 03-16-2010, 09:02 AM   #35  

No concerns Birman....I was just speaking out loud and shouldn't have as I realize I made absolutely no sense.

I've tried many diets; Weightwatchers, Atkins, South Beach, G Diet....and I've never heard the word Ketosis until I went on IP. I guess it just surprises me to hear it so often and how much importance is put on maintaining it. I know myself once I read about it here I was always worried that I'd eat something that would throw me out of "ketosis" and I'd be back to square one....which I really know would only happen if I allowed the eating pattern to continue. I guess it's just having a name put to it that makes it so feared.

For me this is getting easier every day and the results encourage me and have done alot for my self esteem. I can't wait until the summer to get in to some nice light clothing and I'm quite happy with the eating plan I'm on and I don't feel deprived anymore because I'm learning that there are healthy equivalents to pizza's, sub sandwiches and chicken wings & all it takes is a little extra time to make the healthier version. Then feeling good about those choices and the results make it all worthwhile.

Have a great Tuesday!!
Old 03-16-2010, 08:28 PM   #36  
Started IP 1/8/10

S/C/G: 192.5/166/130

Height: 5'4"

Hey Everyone,
I'm not doing so well keeping up with the posts lately... my job is crazy busy right now and with the spring allergies, my exercise class and the lingering effects of my thyroid and endo (AND the time change), I'm literally falling asleep as I'm typing this. But, I'm going to power through and respond before heading to bed.

I love Birman's ideas for goals, plans and support. I feel like I need this lately; without the strict structure of IP, I am in an uncomfortable place. I love that I don't feel so restricted anymore, and that I'm not obsessed with that word KETOSIS anymore (I hear you, Skittles!), but it has been hard to have my weight loss level off, and to even gain back a pound or two. I thought I was more mentally prepared for the decreased weight loss than I have been. I continue to remind myself that my body is adjusting to more carbs and calories, especially now that I'm adding in aerobic exercise. I still feel great though, and I am happy with my body even though I have farther that I want to go. And, my supervisor complimented me today on how great I look; I feel like every few days someone new is acknowledging how hard I've worked. So, I need to focus on those moments.

Goals
1. Eat at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day
2. Continue drinking at least 64 oz. of water
3. Stay in the 160s!

Plan
1. Add in another day of exercise (on top of the 2 aerobics classes)
2. Set up an appointment with a nutritionist

Support: Keep sharing your experiences! It's so invaluable to feel like I'm not alone.
swilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:23 PM   #37  
before picture in profile

S/C/G: 213/183/165

Height: 5ft 7 and 3/4th

Bad news: I have been on an aimless carb. binge for the past 3 days. And I've been too busy to care. I awoke this morning with total body aches and a dragged out feeling. And the scale showed a 2 pound gain. Yikes!
I finally had a day off today and stayed in my PJ's and regrouped.

Good news: I stopped the binge this morning. I had an IP breakfast, took all my supplements and drank lots of water. And as my reward, my No Flour No Sugar book arrived today!

I skimmed through it and it looks very do-able. My boyfriend is 100% in favor of doing it with me. He even went to the kitchen and looked at some food labels. All of his cereal boxes list some sort of "flour" as a main ingredient. We found a can of stewed tomatoes with sugar as the 3rd ingredient! No more gluten-free bread for me. It has flour.
But so happy to be able to eat corn tortillas again. Ground turkey tacos for dinner today!

My goals for the week:

1. To combine the best of IP with the No Flour No Sugar way of eating.
2. Organize my kitchen to support new way of eating (already started.)
3. Post here to provide and receive support.
4. Continue reading the other IP threads for needed support and tips.
5. Stop the yo-yo-ing and settle into sensible eating.

My plans for the week:

1. Continue going to the gym every other day and building aerobic tolerance and strength training.
2. Grocery shop with Dr. Gott's shopping list in hand.
3. Try at least 3 of the (yummy looking) recipes.
4. Drink 100 oz of water per day

How others here can best support me.

1. Keep posting your successes and challenges.
2. Tell Spring to get here already.
Lilita175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:18 AM   #38  

Skittles, been thinking about you as your surgery date approaches. SO glad that all your tests show no malignancies. Is good that your doctors want err on the side of being safe. GA is a bit scary, and of course there is some risk. I am glad you shared your fears with us. But I’m sure you will wake up fine. My husband had several GA’s last fall. Six, actually. Never knew for sure when he was going to have more surgery, since that was decided each day after his surgeon checked him. As he wrote in his blog, “The words you don’t want to hear from your surgeon are ‘Don’t eat anything after midnight, Peter’.” Surgery is no fun. And isn’t without risk. But I’m SO glad, Skittles, that your doctors are being extra cautious, and that all your tests show NO malignancies.

I, for one, will have you in my heart and thoughts on Friday.

Birman
Old 03-18-2010, 04:39 PM   #39  

I've had a headache for the past two weeks. And no, it's not a lack of salt or water. I have plenty of those. I think it might be a lack of carbs. (Anyone have any other ideas?) Most of that was on the IP diet, but my headache actually got worse when I switched over to the SS diet. I think that's because I wasn't yet eating carb foods, and was probably actually eating less vegetables. So fewer carbs yet. Headache got so bad that I went "to heck with this" and made myself eat some popcorn. Then went to the store first thing in the morning to buy some whole grain bread. Yum! Have been eating toast with fat free cottage cheese and lima beans. Yum, yum, yum! Now that I have all these carbs in my system, the scale has got up with water gain. But I don't care. Can hardly wait until supper time!
Old 03-20-2010, 12:53 PM   #40  

So far so good on the No Flour No Sugar plan. I've been on it for 2 days now.

I've lost a pound!!! Yippee! I had been stuck at 185 for weeks and this morning I was down to 184.

I do feel bloated and gassy since I've re-introduced grains and fruits. And my muscles are sore from strength training. But I feel energetic and hopeful that this is going to be so do-able for me.

I'm also doing "No Dairy" and avoiding gluten. Since I've been off milk ,cheese and bread anyway while doing IP, I figured it would be better to switch to unsweetened soymilk, soy cheeses and non-wheat grains at this point.

I've been drinking soy lattes. So yummy! And I bought some organic giant strawberries that are so sweet. And quinoa is my new favorite grain.

I also tried a couple of the recipes from Dr. Gott's book and they are delicious, full of intense flavors.

Still thinking about food combining. That would be the next step for me once I settle into the No White Foods mentality.

I remembered that Marilu Henner wrote some great diet & health books so I found her website. Boy, she still looks great and she is writing a book on how she helped her husband heal his cancers with nothing but a vegan diet.
And she is trying to get a law passed promoting healthy diets for children. What I didn't "get" when I read her books before is that she is into food combining!

So, I'm still learning and a "work in progress" for sure. I will always be grateful to IP for kick-starting me on the road to a healthier diet.

I will keep reading and posting on the other threads.

Last edited by Lilita175; 03-20-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:09 PM   #41  

Thanks Birman so very much for your thoughts and kind words. My surgery went very well and I'm on the mend, bruised and tender but otherwise I feel pretty good. It kind of hurts to type so I'll make this short for now.

Only blip in the day was I had told my nurse in the first interview of the morning that I've been dieting for past 7 weeks and lost almost 25 lbs and that the last few days I really hadn't been feeling well, headaches muscle spasms and pains, racing heart and stomachaches, well I guess they got concerned and to be on the safe side they ran more blood tests to check my electrolytes. My results came back with a rating of 2.4 and the normal range is about 3.5 to 5.0. They told me they were going ahead with the surgery but it was good for them to know this because a low rating puts strain on the heart. They said it's very likely why I hadn't been feeling well and experiencing such crazy symptoms. She said to diet and eat healthy is one thing but to put my health in danger is another and that I should see a nutritionist. I told her that I was slowly weaning myself off the Ideal Protein diet and this past week I started taking a healthier approach to losing weight (still following the No Flour, No Sugar diet). She said diets high in protein can be very dangerous for some people. So I'm glad I told them that I hadn't been feeling well and they ran extra tests...now I know.

I've been eating more fish and chicken (not always just once a day like in the IP diet). I'm enjoying a pear or apple with my Natural No Sugar Peanut Butter that I love. For breakfast this morning I put a Corn Tortilla in the oven to toast it and then lightly spread peanut butter on it...yummy. I'm going to stay away from artificial sugars all together...so probably not eat anything unless it's naturally sweetened like fruit (it's good I don't have a sweet tooth). I'm pretty sure the artificial sugars were giving me the headaches. I'm not having huge salads twice a day like I was (hard on my IBS) and cutting back on caffeine (bought some caffeine free teas). Having my skim milk and rice puffs too for breakfast.

My health comes first and I won't put it in jeopardy again by not eating healthy.

I hope everyone has a great weekend.....off for a rest. HAHA so much for this being short lol.

Last edited by skittlescda; 03-20-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:16 PM   #42  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birman View Post
I've had a headache for the past two weeks. And no, it's not a lack of salt or water. I have plenty of those. I think it might be a lack of carbs. (Anyone have any other ideas?) Most of that was on the IP diet, but my headache actually got worse when I switched over to the SS diet. I think that's because I wasn't yet eating carb foods, and was probably actually eating less vegetables. So fewer carbs yet. Headache got so bad that I went "to heck with this" and made myself eat some popcorn. Then went to the store first thing in the morning to buy some whole grain bread. Yum! Have been eating toast with fat free cottage cheese and lima beans. Yum, yum, yum! Now that I have all these carbs in my system, the scale has got up with water gain. But I don't care. Can hardly wait until supper time!
So did your headache go away when you ate more carbs? Are you really drinking enough water? I bet our bodies need even more water when we add in more carbs.

Yesterday, I was having upper back pain (a heavy, tired feeling) and when I drank a big glass of water it went away.

I was surprised that my scale showed a loss this morning because I sure feel bloated. But now that I've added strength training I'm expecting my muscles to swell and hold water.

So I say to heck with the scale for a few days anyway. If I start heading back towards 190, though, I will go whimpering back to IP. LOL.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:23 PM   #43  

P.S. I lowered my goal weight. I recently realized that my previous goal weight of 175 was my top pregnancy weight 32 years ago and being "only 9 pounds away from goal" was giving me a weird sort of mental block.

I want to stop being comfortable in my 180's and zoom past the 170's. I have a vision of myself to be at my goal weight by the 1st day of summer.

Happy First Day of Spring!
Old 03-20-2010, 04:09 PM   #44  

Skittles, I’m glad your surgery went well. I hope that your mending goes fast as well.

Regarding the nurse saying that high protein diets being dangerous for some people – well that may be true, but IP isn’t a high protein diet. I do think the IP diet is extreme, though. While I didn’t see a nutritionist / coach myself while on it, in general I do think that’s a good idea – just to be safe. I have a health care background, and I read the book, so I figured I could do the thing well enough on my own. Still, part way through I had a full lab workup done – just to be sure. Results were good, so I feel reasonably confident that I could do IP again safely. I do think people should be careful on it, though.

I still remember when Karen Carpenter died. (Swilk, the youngster, probably doesn’t know who she is!) She had battled anorexia for years. But though recovered, that caused her to have an electrolyte imbalance – which caused heart failure. At some very young age. Early 30s, I think. I think it was her potassium level that was the problem. So… that is always in the back of my mind when I am on IP. Want to be careful.

Lilita, so you lowered your goal. Well cool!

I do think I’m drinking enough water. I’m doing the 64 oz per day. But maybe you’re right, and I need more. I’ll try upping it.

I had planned to start an exercise program this week, but that didn’t happen due to my constant headache. I did start seeing a physical therapist this week for my sore shoulder. I hurt it back in September and it’s all kind of gummed up now. Therapist says I should have been in much sooner. Would have, I guess, if I wasn’t so darn cheap! Anyways, getting that fixed will help me with my muscle toning plan. So I’m glad that’s under way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilita175 View Post
So I say to heck with the scale for a few days anyway. If I start heading back towards 190, though, I will go whimpering back to IP. LOL.
I know what you mean. Me too!
Old 03-21-2010, 07:34 PM   #45  
Started IP 1/8/10

S/C/G: 192.5/166/130

Height: 5'4"

Skittles -- Glad to hear your surgery went well! Good luck with your recovery.

Birman -- I, too, have very intense headaches daily. I had thought it was IP, and was one of the reasons I wanted to come off of the diet, but they've been occurring even now that I've transitioned. I'm eating a very balanced diet, and it's been a complete mystery to me why they've still been so prevalent. I do have a lot going on with my thyroid and endometriosis, plus I've started exercising and being more active, so it's possible it's all related. I think I am going to check in with my doctor soon, though, because I do worry having headaches every single day, all day long, especially to the severity that I have.

Lilita -- I'm with you on the scale. I've still been getting on everyday, because I'm a scale addict, but I've decided that as long as I stay under 170, I'm good to go. Especially with the exercise and muscle building, I know my weight is going to fluctuate and that loss is going to be tougher -- I'm more concerned with continuing to make good choices at this point.

So, I have decided that I'm going to try to get back into IP in mid-April. I'm having minor surgery at the end of March, and I don't want to be on such a restrictive diet while under anesthesia or recovering. Also, my spring vacation from teaching is the first full week in April, and we'll be away, so I figure the following week will be a good time to get back in the swing of things. I really want to just power through and take the rest of the weight off; I saw a lot of people in their summer dresses and shorts with the nice weather this past weekend, and I want to join in! I'm hoping by the end of May, I'll be at my goal or close to it (If I can be at 165 or lower by the time I start up again, this could likely happen). My boyfriend agreed to go back on with me too, which is going to be really helpful for my motivation. I think I will take your approach, Birman, and go for bloodwork and testing while doing IP again to ensure that I am not endangering my body, which is my greatest fear (and I do know of Karen Carpenter). For now, I'm just focusing on making good eating choices, continuing to exercise, and being comfortable in my body and with the progress that I have made.

Have a great week everyone! Keep up the great work!
swilk is offline   Reply With Quote