Old 03-25-2010, 01:32 PM   #61  
Goddess of Research

S/C/G: 180/180/150

Height: 5'8

Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birman View Post
Not sure what you mean about "duplicating" it, MTG. Are you referring to my post about using other high quality protein powders instead of the IP packets? Or are you referring to something else?
Yes, I was talking about getting the right balance of Amino acids with the protein and mixing it at home- it's a delicate balance
MuayThaiGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:34 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 237/184/157

Height: 5' 10"

Ah. To my understanding, Dr. Tran Tien was saying that the protein diet was a problem back when it was first done by people, because packets were using hydrolyzed collagen or hydrolyzed gelatin as the main protein source. These are very poor quality proteins -- low in essential amino acids. I am not recommending that. Whenever I post about using non IP proteins I always specifically state one should use high quality proteins. These are very easy to find. Whey protein isolate is considered the highest quality protein available. All four of the protein powders that I recommended above are whey protein isolates.

By the way, MTG, I tried to PM you to let you know that I have that Lyle McDonald "Ketogenic Diet" book in pdf format and could e-mail it to you if you like. However, it seems that you are not yet able to receive PMs. If you are interested, drop me a note once you are able.

Last edited by Birman; 03-25-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Birman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:14 PM   #63  
before picture in profile

S/C/G: 213/183/165

Height: 5ft 7 and 3/4th

Quote:
Lilita, wasn't it you who posted that excellent info about muscle building, inflammation, and weight loss? I did a search, but couldn't find it. I think some of the new members in the regular IP thread would be interested in that info.
Yes. I am so behind on reading the posts on the regular IP thread. But I will try to catch up today and respond if needed.
Lilita175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:29 PM   #64  

skittlescda: I am loving the No Flour No Sugar diet. I am amazed that I've lost a pound this week. I am no longer bloated as I was the first couple of days when I started eating more fruits and grains.

And I do feel great.

Now that I have more food to prep, I am spending more time in my kitchen which is so comforting. I think I had "lost" that connection because I was trying to avoid being around forbidden foods that were stored in the cupboard. I had more of a "get in and get out" mentality towards my own kitchen. Such a disconnect! But it was worth it to lose the first 25 pounds.

I am enjoying trying the recipes in the No Flour No Sugar book.

I made the Pork Tenderloin with fennel and apples and it was just excellent.

Right now I am baking the Pecan Coconut Granola in the oven but instead of "fruit sweet" liquid, I am using no sugar maple flavored pancake syrup made with xylitol.

For lunch/dinner I am making some chili. I am looking for a corn bread recipe that does not use flour.

Regarding keeping a food log that is where I completely fail. In my line of work as a nurse, I have to document everything that I do for my patients.
Documenting more is the last thing I want to do.

But I do have a pretty good sense of what I am eating. Because of IP, I have learned to eat more slowly and carefully. I enjoy and savor each bite of food. And when the food stops tasting delicious in my mouth, I stop eating.

Recently been snacking on apple slices, fresh ground almond butter with a teaspoon of Walden Farms chocolate sauce on top.

Yummers.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:45 PM   #65  
Goddess of Research

Question muscle building

Quote:
Lilita, wasn't it you who posted that excellent info about muscle building, inflammation, and weight loss? I did a search, but couldn't find it. I think some of the new members in the regular IP thread would be interested in that info.
I did a post a couple days ago from some research on muscle building- water retention- inflammation and weightloss also-- I don't know if you read that?
Old 03-25-2010, 03:59 PM   #66  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuayThaiGoddess View Post
I did a post a couple days ago from some research on muscle building- water retention- inflammation and weightloss also-- I don't know if you read that?
MTG, I am so behind on reading posts but am trying to catch up today.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:01 PM   #67  
Goddess of Research

Talking oh cool

Quote:
Ah. To my understanding, Dr. Tran Tien was saying that the protein diet was a problem back when it was first done by people, because packets were using hydrolyzed collagen or hydrolyzed gelatin as the main protein source. These are very poor quality proteins -- low in essential amino acids. I am not recommending that. Whenever I post about using non IP proteins I always specifically state one should use high quality proteins. These are very easy to find. Whey protein isolate is considered the highest quality protein available. All four of the protein powders that I recommended above are whey protein isolates.

By the way, MTG, I tried to PM you to let you know that I have that Lyle McDonald "Ketogenic Diet" book in pdf format and could e-mail it to you if you like. However, it seems that you are not yet able to receive PMs. If you are interested, drop me a note once you are able.

Hey Birman!

You are exactly right about the substitutes and the hydrolyzed collagen/ gellatin... and the thing I keep stressing is the amino acids because they are essential for muscle building and maintainence and that is what I think is so special about this diet is the ability to lose pure fat-- and the IP packets have a very special blend of amino acids-- I wish I knew the balance- it would be worth re producing- you want to know one of the bet proteins I have found that by the labels IS VERY CLOSE to the proteins in this diet and i have even thought of subbing it for a protein pack (IT IS NOT CHEAP AT ALL) ISOPURE- the protein is so pure - it dissolves clearly into water- and it has 50 grams of protein a serving- no carbs no sugar- no artificial sweetener- has alot of amino acids--- it is TOP OF THE LINE- it is the best I could find so far- as far as substitutions for IP and I think you can double the servings on the container because you don't need 50 grams of protein so split it in half. The bottle is $80.00 but i think youll end up getting 44 servings which is like 2 dollars per protein- which is way less than an IP pack- just a thought. I wanted to see what you thought and if you had seen it or wanted to look into it. I am really anal and Strictly IP right now, but I am NOT opposed to using some other stuff so long as I find stuff that is the right balance and I think I can... and have...

Also.... OMG YOU GOT THE BOOK!! EEK! IM SO JEALOUS!! I know you would think i have been on here longer than 20 days right? well, its like 4 more days I think until I can PM. I feel like I have been on here for monthes! You can send me a PDF of the whole thing? REALLY?? HOW?? OMG I WOULD FREAK FREAK FREAK OUT! JUMP FOR JOY- EARLY CHRISTMAS! ( Can you say NERD?):dan cer::yay : sORRY I'm a little excited. If you haven't noticed I'm a research-aholic.

Were you saying you were fighting an on going headache? I've had on practically since I started IP- it usually transitions from Headache to migraine back to headache...
Old 03-25-2010, 04:04 PM   #68  
Goddess of Research

Default me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilita175 View Post
MTG, I am so behind on reading posts but am trying to catch up today.
I know me too!! sometimes this seems like a part time job! LOL! i got way behind the last two days----
Old 03-25-2010, 04:14 PM   #69  
Goddess of Research

Talking AH an ER nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilita175 View Post
Drive by posting: been working at my regular job (ER nurse) plus busy with my side-job (selling jewelry at home parties.)

Plus food shopping, food prepping and cooking is time consuming!

I have now been on the No Flour No Sugar diet for about a week with no weight gain. I feel great. It seems like so much food! I shop at my local health food store and the produce there is organic, locally grown and huge. And not expensive either! I feel so lucky to live in California where great food is easy to find.

I am talking about giant, sweet strawberries, juicy oranges and romaine lettuce that is too big for the plastic bags. I could go on but I don't want to make y'all too envious.

Oh cool, youre an ER nurse!! My mom ( and very best friend) is a PSYCH nurse and works 12-14 hour shifts in the hospital and has been thinking about IP but is not sure if she can do it with the demands of her job ( chronic under staffing, usually charge, sometimes have to be the nurse AND THE TECH, no time to go to the BR, nevermind eat!) I know you know what I'm talking about being a nurse.. and an ER nurse none the less... that is incredibly demanding... how did you do it? What can I say to my mom for incouragement- since you are kinda in her shoes- it makes it look more possible. I know you are trying to catch up on your posts- but my mom means EVERYTHING to me and I think finding a nurses perspective will help. Also, i maybe think this no sugar no flour diet might be a better option for her... I don't know... she is like ADDICTED TO SUGAR.

After being on IP, the world of fruits, root vegetables, nut butters and whole grains is so delightful. I don't have any desire for junky food. Yay!

Be back later in the week to respond to some of your posts.
When you have time ( i know you are catching up) write back and let me know and maybe I can offer some encouragement and a testimonial of another nurse with a demanding role who is making her positive life style change with food and weight happen!

**Goddess
Old 03-25-2010, 04:14 PM   #70  

Quote:
Yes. I made my request to Lilita before your post. Not needed anymore.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:16 PM   #71  
Goddess of Research

Quote:
When you have time (Oh cool, youre an ER nurse!! My mom ( and very best friend) is a PSYCH nurse and works 12-14 hour shifts in the hospital and has been thinking about IP but is not sure if she can do it with the demands of her job ( chronic under staffing, usually charge, sometimes have to be the nurse AND THE TECH, no time to go to the BR, nevermind eat!) I know you know what I'm talking about being a nurse.. and an ER nurse none the less... that is incredibly demanding... how did you do it? What can I say to my mom for incouragement- since you are kinda in her shoes- it makes it look more possible. I know you are trying to catch up on your posts- but my mom means EVERYTHING to me and I think finding a nurses perspective will help. Also, i maybe think this no sugar no flour diet might be a better option for her... I don't know... she is like ADDICTED TO SUGAR.
i know you are catching up) write back and let me know and maybe I can offer some encouragement and a testimonial of another nurse with a demanding role who is making her positive life style change with food and weight happen!

**Goddess

oops i put the message IN BETWEEN YOUR QUOTE! SIGH!
Old 03-25-2010, 08:41 PM   #72  

S/C/G: 192/192/150

Height: 5'5"

I'm feeling good these days BUT still have headaches....annoying ones. They come and go and last night was a wild migraine...had the runs and all. I've also had these headaches since starting the IP diet but I'm off all IP products now. I'm not sure what's going on....is there something in the air causing us all to have headaches lol. I have never been one for headaches and these feel more like squeeze time headaches...even with sharp pains above/behind my ears. Maybe my TMJ is back again :-(
skittlescda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:40 PM   #73  

Quote:
…. the IP packets have a very special blend of amino acids …
I’m not so sure about that, MTG. I think that’s just a marketing ploy. To preserve our muscles I think the protein just needs to be of sufficient quantity, include all the essential amino acids and be of high biological value. When looking at the IP products, the ingredients lists normal high quality proteins – whey protein isolate, soy protein isolate, etc. Nothing fancy or proprietary as far as I can see.

Quote:
you want to know one of the bet proteins I have found that by the labels IS VERY CLOSE to the proteins in this diet and i have even thought of subbing it for a protein pack (IT IS NOT CHEAP AT ALL) ISOPURE- the protein is so pure - it dissolves clearly into water- and it has 50 grams of protein a serving- no carbs no sugar- no artificial sweetener- has alot of amino acids--- it is TOP OF THE LINE- it is the best I could find so far- as far as substitutions for IP and I think you can double the servings on the container because you don't need 50 grams of protein so split it in half. The bottle is $80.00 but i think youll end up getting 44 servings which is like 2 dollars per protein- which is way less than an IP pack- just a thought. I wanted to see what you thought and if you had seen it or wanted to look into it. I am really anal and Strictly IP right now, but I am NOT opposed to using some other stuff so long as I find stuff that is the right balance and I think I can... and have...
I am really anal too. (smile) For me though, when I’m on the IP diet being anal mean sticking strictly to the principles of the diet, not a company’s products.

Regarding Isopure, I’d be happy to take a look at it. There are several different protein products under the Isopure brand name. Which specific product are you referring to, MTG?

Quote:
You can send me a PDF of the whole thing? REALLY??
Yep.

Quote:
Were you saying you were fighting an on going headache? I've had on practically since I started IP- it usually transitions from Headache to migraine back to headache...
Yep, I’m fighting a headache. Almost every day for 3 weeks now. It’s a symptom of something, but I don’t know what. If you solve the headache problem, please let me know!

PS: Did ya find out anything about the gray hair and hair loss thing yet, MTG?

Last edited by Birman; 03-25-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:41 PM   #74  

You're having headaches too, Skittles?
Old 03-26-2010, 01:24 AM   #75  
Goddess of Research

Lightbulb make sure you are hydrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittlescda View Post
I'm feeling good these days BUT still have headaches....annoying ones. They come and go and last night was a wild migraine...had the runs and all. I've also had these headaches since starting the IP diet but I'm off all IP products now. I'm not sure what's going on....is there something in the air causing us all to have headaches lol. I have never been one for headaches and these feel more like squeeze time headaches...even with sharp pains above/behind my ears. Maybe my TMJ is back again :-(
I know this is like beating a dead horse... but the low carb diet really has a way of dehydrating you as water is bonded to every molecule of glycolgen and all the stores are depleted and purged during the diet as well as the water along with it which is why the first week is such a big loss- since you are off of the IP protocol make a valiant effort to drink at least 12 glasses a day and see if it does not ease up- that is one of the biggest signs of headaches. Ive suffered with chronic migraines for 14 years- I know what I am getting now is not that but I just offer that to you to make sure. you might already be doing that but with re introducing carbs your body probably needs more water to bond to. Its a suggestion. I know I'll try anything to take away the pain. good luck