General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:45 AM   #346  

S/C/G: 255/229/155

Height: 5'9

Zmck
Do you like chick peas?

I'm on my fast day, a little hungry , but 8hrs sleep ahead.
14 hours till I can start my feed day .

One of those days where it's just long struggle after I've already had my 600 calories. .

I wish it was more fun to talk about, being hungry and out of calories. Just vitamin waters and green teas .

Looking forward for the protein shake before I clock in.
I hope I wake up and the hunger is minimized .
Pang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:09 PM   #347  

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmck View Post
I have started noting 1 good thing about each day in a small diary – this is better although sadly it has been hard to come up with a good thing some days
Journaling is probably doing some good. Studies have shown that people who keep gratitude journals actually increase their happiness over time. You're not giving up, so that's a positive in itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmck View Post
Wish me luck & all the best to you all .
Good luck---you can do it!
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:49 PM   #348  

My feed day has been going well today.
No binging, on plan.
Shake hit the spot to end my fast.
Salad was filled with a variety of goodies
Fish dinner in three hours , broccoli, spinach,lemon,spices, sweet potatoes, carrots, and cinnamon.

I like getting back on the two fish a week truck.

Tomorrow will my 3rd semifast of the week.
So I'm determined to make it work.

Last edited by Pang; 04-06-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:19 PM   #349  

Interesting TED talk video regarding insulin resistance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da1vvigy5tQ

Last edited by SouthernMaven; 04-06-2017 at 04:24 PM.
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:34 PM   #350  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Hi, Lin, and welcome! Glad you seem off to a good start.

Hi, Dewenton and welcome to you too! I'm sorry to hear you have such a lot of health problems. There are lots of different people trying different schedules and calorie counts but I don't know if anyone here is doing something similar to you.

Pang, good to hear things are going smoothly.

Z, I hope the break away from the kitchen is good for you. I know that the kitchen has been triggering for me in the past too, and I'm glad I spend a lot less time in it these days.

Thanks for the link, SM, I will watch it soon!

I've had salmon with onion and sweet potato curry on TJ's cauliflower "rice" the past couple days. Delicious! Things going well for me still. =)

Last edited by yoyoma; 04-06-2017 at 08:39 PM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:18 PM   #351  

Still going, day 5 of OMAD (after reading for while decided this was less complicated) While I gave myself one day per week off, I didn't over do it. I did step on the scale just to get an idea of where I am starting from. I think I'll weigh in once a month. Right now I just want to focus on how I am feeling.

Lin I think we feel exactly the same about the scale!

Yo, eat stop eat. Is fasting with a 4 hr window (at least that is how I was doing it)

I'm finding my toughest time, when I struggle the most is 4pm. I really find myself wanting to eat and have actually given in to that; giving myself a 2 hr eating window. Basically I just have a small snack then eat dinner at 6. Today I've managed to work thru that 4 pm hunger pain. Wasn't easy but I did it.

How is everyone else fairing?
Nelena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:22 PM   #352  

I will watch that video southern maven . This weekend.

I use the windows only to fit my plan. The window to me isn't as important as what is in it. And the insulin resistance is a major factor in what I wish to accomplish , to transform and then stabilize. My approach is to fit the liver health foods and the insulin control of fasting. So I mean it . I will watch the video.

Today
I had one of those confidence moments.
I can do this.
I will keep doing this.
I will get there.

But I'm already there if the lifestyle the goal.
A rare moment of strong confidence.
Patting myself on the back, just sharing.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:27 AM   #353  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pang View Post

Today
I had one of those confidence moments.
I can do this.
I will keep doing this.
I will get there.
Of course you will! I think it's really important to not only cheer others on but ourselves as well. And don't expect perfection; once you do that, you beat yourself up too much when things don't go exactly as planned. Or at least I do.

I've gotten MUCH better about ignoring the stumbles. We all have them; I just pick myself up and start again. Progress, not perfection.
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:29 PM   #354  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Just checking in to say I'm coming back to IF. I have been off, but trying to get back to a 8:16 most days with an occasional 5:19 thrown in whenever possible. This was day 2 of a successful IF although my food choices were not as good as I would have like. Had to go to a little great nephew's birthday party and nothing was remotely low calorie or low carb not even diet drinks. I just heard from my sister and her DS is coming tomorrow bring her DGS instead of them going up to their house. His birthday was April 1st and we will celebrate his birthday tomorrow. I'm not sure what the menu will be so the only goal today and tomorrow is stay within my eating window of 5 to 8 hrs. I've made Day 2 although not low carb and I really do want tomorrow to be Day 3.

I will have to go back to when I last posted and catch up on all of y'all.

Have a blessed Sunday.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:47 AM   #355  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Fabulous TED talk, SM, thanks so much for the link! I watched it while I was on my treadmill (still am).

My father was an "insulin-dependent" diabetic who lost his leg and subsequently his life due to to vascular complications from the disease. I honor doctors like this one (Sarah Hallberg) and Dr. Fung who buck orthodoxy in order to truly help patients. I wish her ideas were more widely disseminated and I hope she can spread her obesity clinic across the country.

Trish, maintaining an eating window is great and compatible with life events that focus on celebrations with food. Congratulations on sticking with the window and not deciding to ditch everything because you couldn't make healthy food choices!

Pang, I'm happy you are feeling your mojo! You have made a lot of progress already!

Nelana, I think the idea of a small snack at 4 and then dinner at 6 sounds great! I have edged my start time earlier (primarily for supposed health reasons) and I start eating my soup as early as 4:30. Sometimes, if I am going out to eat, I will have some soup early then eat dinner later.

I think structured or phased eating can work better than an unstructured window for those of us who may be affected by previous periods of dieting/restricting.

I went to a matinee show yesterday and ended eating out Chinese food afterward, which gave me a little laugh today because that cuisine was mentioned in the video. I had a couple soup dumplings (xiaolongbao), 2 servings of hot and sour soup, some kung pow squid and spicy longhorn peppers with beef along with a small amount of white rice (maybe 1/3 of the bowl). I had my nuts and chocolate later when I got home and never got hit with the post-Chinese-food hungries. =)

Last edited by yoyoma; 04-09-2017 at 09:10 AM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:20 AM   #356  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Height: 5'7"

Hi Everyone!
Still following this thread daily and learning a lot.
I finished reading The Complete Guide To Fasting and found I liked it better then The Obesity Code. Thanks Trish.
The one thing I got through my rather thick skull was that I need to be including FIBER in my diet. I bought a big bag of chia seeds and have some everyday. With fiber, eating healthy and Braggs apple cider vinegar my weight is coming down nicely. Most importantly I feel so much better.
Keep up the successful fasting everyone.

FYI diet in my world means the foods we are eating.
Ubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:54 PM   #357  

Ever derail yourself with information overload? That's what happened to me on Saturday. I was doing perfectly on my OMAD last week. I actually enjoyed the feeling of ignoring food for the day and eating whatever I wanted (within reason) during my one meal. As is common, I've been scouring the Internet for people who are following this WOE (which is how I found this thread), and I stumbled upon two things that freaked me out a bit:

1) an article from a year or so ago in the NY Times about the Biggest Loser and how those contestants screwed up their metabolism big time because of dieting. That made me think, "What if my body gets too used to this WOE? Will I screw up my metabolism, too? Maybe I need to shake up my plan!"

2) All the sites that seem to link fasting to some sort of low-carb diet. I get it, I really do: eating lower carbs is probably best. But I don't want to do it. I am more conscious of eating more protein and more and healthier fats, but I really don't feel like putting another restriction on my eating by going low carb. But it seems as if so many people are pairing fasting with low-carb, that I started to doubt whether any success stories exist for those who fast and just eat regular---no restrictions. I need some success stories!

Anyway, the combo of the above semi-derailed me and I ate throughout the day on Saturday. I was back on plan Sunday because it was my b-day & I had already planned on saving all my calories for the restaurant I went to. However, today, once again, I ate throughout the day. Why???? I wasn't even hungry. In fact, I didn't even want food. It's so strange. Maybe it was stress (as in, I'm under a lot right now because of various personal issues). I can't figure it out.

But like so many of you stated in your posts, I'm not letting these couple of fails derail me completely. After all, I had more successful days than not last week. I am having a lighter dinner tonight and will be completely back on track tomorrow. I love how OMAD has made me get more in touch with my hunger signals and how everything just tastes so darn good when I finally do eat. I want that again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma View Post
I think structured or phased eating can work better than an unstructured window for those of us who may be affected by previous periods of dieting/restricting.
ITA. I usually start with a salad (full-fat blue cheese dressing). That takes the edge off my hunger and helps me eat more sensibly for the rest of the meal.

Last edited by lin43; 04-10-2017 at 02:56 PM.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:44 PM   #358  

SouthernMaven Thanks for the YouTube TED talk. It was quite helpful. I looked up some of her other YouTube videos and since I'm starting over with IF and deciding how strict I want to go with lc, she was very helpful with what and how to do it. I'm into really high fat or high protein and she has a really great plan to start with and then tweak. Just what I needed to help me. It was good to learn lchf does not mean I have to at all the fat percentage you are left with when figuring out how much protein and carb to eat. I've always said I could do a moderate amount of fat which just might change my mind about doing lchf.

lin43 I tend to do the same thing. I am learning to change my way of eating to reverse diabetes, but I want it to be a lifestyle. I'm in the process of doing 16:8 IF ratio. I just read on a Q & A from Dr. Fung on FB where someone asked him the best way to eat, best IF etc. He named the different ways of fasting that he recommends OMAD, 16:8, 5:19 and etc and then he said to start with 8:16 and tweak from there and see which one works best for you. While he recommends low carb, he also said basically that questioned (she had asked him if she had to eat low carb) that if she could eat more and accomplish her goals then do it.

I sometimes get information overload and have to filter. It is my impression that many IFers do different plans and not all are low carbers. I've come to believe that as long as you are getting the results you want and it works for you so that you feel good, don't worry about it. I think the problem with the Big Loser people probably is once the competition is over they lose interest. If you are like me, I'm not in competition with any one, I'm just trying to be healthy and get my blood sugar and weight under control.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:19 PM   #359  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Height: 5'7"

Great questions lin.
As for The Biggest Loser check out what Dr. Fung says. https://intensivedietarymanagement.c...iet-explained/
I am doing lower carb because my metabolism is shot. I am insulin resistant and morbidly obese. I do lose when I am not low carb it is just at a slower pace.
Ubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:00 PM   #360  

Ubee Thanks for the Link with Dr. Fung's comments on the NYT Big Loser article. I really wish more and more doctors would learn from him on Fasting and the benefits of it. I have just learned that I have to look for a new doctor to replace the new doctor I just got when I moved to TX in late Sept. I have no desire to follow anything else but low carb woe. Since I want to reverse diabetes, I believe this is the only way.

Back in S.C., I went to church with a doctor who had diabetes and all kinds of complications from it including having his feet amputated and rebuilt feet. I never saw him without the casts and he died just before he was to get them off. My point in sharing that is that I learned that he was considered The Carolina's Diabetic Expert. I already knew for years that you don't improve diabetes with the standard diabetic diet and for me, he was proof that it didn't work. I have experienced reversing diabetes in the past with low carb so I know it can be done, I'm just having difficulty getting back OP eating the way I did back then. I am not as strict on the low, low carb eating as I was on Atkins, but I hope that by Fasting with it that it work for me and maybe eventually I can be more 100% low carb again.