General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 09-04-2016, 01:44 PM   #211  

Default New here

I guess you can that I'm new to the OMAD way. However I have went years where most days I would only eat one meal so I don't really see that being an issue however ALOT of my weight gain comes from drinking soda this is going to be the hardest part about OMAD so I'm open to suggestions on how to give up the soda. I also don't know if I'm going to start today or Monday it's almost 1pm and I have not had anything since I woke up. I'm already craving a soda I have not had one in 16 hours.
Gettin_fit_with_pcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:16 AM   #212  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettin_fit_with_pcos View Post
I also don't know if I'm going to start today or Monday it's almost 1pm and I have not had anything since I woke up. I'm already craving a soda I have not had one in 16 hours.
Well, you do need to have water. I kind of know the feeling. I must have one soda like drink per day. It is something about the fizzy that calms my stomach. Too much water makes me sick with heartburn. Do you have to go cold turkey? I reduced my soda by reducing the amount I drank until I was drinking one small can and then I just tried to only have that every other day.

I am bummed that I have stopped losing weight. It makes no sense to me that previously I was eating 1700+ calories and then I reduced it to 1100 and I am losing like .5 per week.

But so far I have had no problem with the two meal per day that I am doing. Really this is the preferred way of eating for me and I am glad that I no longer have to waste my time with breakfast.
AnnRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:30 PM   #213  

I have never been a soda drinker, so this idea might be way off, but....

If it is the fizzy you crave, try carbonated water with fruit slices.
If is the caffeine, try green tea.

Otherwise, you are addicted to the high fructose corn syrup and we all know how bad that is for you Diet sodas aren't any better with all the artificial stuff in them.

I hope you can win the battle with soda!
cindy_975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:49 PM   #214  
Started 4th of July

S/C/G: 180/168/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRue View Post
I get the same thing. I try not to tell anyone because they are always judging and making me doubt. Ironically enough I believe that "starvation mode" is triggered by the "typical" diet. Staying on a calorie restriction regime for more than say 4 or 5 months and yet, it is insanity that they seem to not care at all about such things.

And just from an intuitive sense when were hunter gatherers we couldn't eat 6 meals per day. It just makes a lot of sense. But I also do believe that there are some people who are not suited to this and they obviously don't understand it.

I lost another lb. Today I forgot to eat until 2 pm because I had errands to run (bought a new car) and didn't get done until 2.
I did hear that starvation mode is set off with the calorie restriction. It is weird that with the fasting we are going against all known and adhered to science to years so you feel like you are in the matrix. I'm just happy to finally understand this.
FinallyFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:51 PM   #215  
Started 4th of July

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernMaven View Post
Congratulations, FinallyFree! Good job!

I've been on track with OMAD as well, and starting today I'm going to begin incorporating HFLC into my plan. I feel that this will be even more beneficial to me, esp. when it comes to lowering my blood sugar, which is important to me. Accelerated weight loss may also happen, but that is a secondary concern of mine at this point.
Tks Maven,

Same here, it's more about the health, but I sure wouldn't mind getting my weight into my healthy zone. Looking forward to it!
Old 09-05-2016, 07:53 PM   #216  
Started 4th of July

Welcome Aboard Getting Fit!

Just wanting to warn you, most everything we give up does put up a fight! But it's worth it to win!
Old 09-06-2016, 09:24 AM   #217  

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyFree View Post
I did hear that starvation mode is set off with the calorie restriction. It is weird that with the fasting we are going against all known and adhered to science to years so you feel like you are in the matrix. I'm just happy to finally understand this.
I have a new theory on this. I believe that starvation mode happens when your stomach shrinks. There was a study that showed the volume of the stomach goes down by 1/3rd when you reduce calories.

So it isn't necessarily about your calories it is about your volume. So in a very real way intermittant fasting prevents the stomach from shrinking. If you eat two or one large meals, you have large meals, that pushes your stomach out. The stomach stays large and no message is given to the brain that you aren't getting enough food. Every day the body says, got to keep that stomach large for the big meal I will be getting.

But, if you are eating 6 small meals per day, with smaller volume (calories) your stomach shrinks because it never gets enough to get the message to stay large. This is how people eat who had their stomach reduced via surgery.

I think this because it typically takes my body 12 to 16 weeks to adjust. Thy only thing I think could really account for this is the time it takes for your stomach volume to reduce.

With regard to the carbonated sodas.. I tried the carbinated water and that actually is just as bad as regulated water. I have googled it and a lot of people have this problem (water can make them sick). I do have water but I can't have as much as I would like. I just need to have one soda per day and that will elminate the problem. Not sure why, maybe something in the soda ? I never have caloried soda.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:29 AM   #218  

Height: 5' 2"

This thread is very interesting. I am doing a modified fast right now but I think OMAD might work for me in the future.My older sister, now in her late sixties, has always kept her weight down by eating 1 meal per day. Her one meal of the day has always been a big breakfast. I have a few questions concerning IF and OMAD. In doing Intermittent Fasting do you drink a specific amount of water per day or do you drink only when thirsty? How do you decide when you should eat when doing OMAD? Also do you take a multivitamin or other supplements?
nuumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:38 AM   #219  

Height: 5' 2"

Default Giving Up Soda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettin_fit_with_pcos View Post
I guess you can that I'm new to the OMAD way. However I have went years where most days I would only eat one meal so I don't really see that being an issue however ALOT of my weight gain comes from drinking soda this is going to be the hardest part about OMAD so I'm open to suggestions on how to give up the soda. I also don't know if I'm going to start today or Monday it's almost 1pm and I have not had anything since I woke up. I'm already craving a soda I have not had one in 16 hours.
Try drinking iced or warm tea with Stevia instead.
nuumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:59 PM   #220  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuumee View Post
This thread is very interesting. I am doing a modified fast right now but I think OMAD might work for me in the future. Also do you take a multivitamin or other supplements?
I am doing two meals but I wanted to comment on the Multivitamin. I remember hearing someplace that the number one thing that you need vitamins and minerals for is digestion. If you are eating less or eating less often you need less vitamins and minerals. I think that makes some sense. Currently I am not taking one but I will see.

I try to have two glasses of water in the morning when I get up and then two before each meal.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:05 PM   #221  
Started 4th of July

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuumee View Post
This thread is very interesting. I am doing a modified fast right now but I think OMAD might work for me in the future.My older sister, now in her late sixties, has always kept her weight down by eating 1 meal per day. Her one meal of the day has always been a big breakfast. I have a few questions concerning IF and OMAD. In doing Intermittent Fasting do you drink a specific amount of water per day or do you drink only when thirsty? How do you decide when you should eat when doing OMAD? Also do you take a multivitamin or other supplements?

The thing I am liking about the WOE is you can do your fasting anyway that fits for you. So when is the most convenient for you and your social life?

I am a night person so dinner is it for me. And a late one to boot.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:08 PM   #222  
Started 4th of July

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRue View Post
I have a new theory on this. I believe that starvation mode happens when your stomach shrinks. There was a study that showed the volume of the stomach goes down by 1/3rd when you reduce calories.

So it isn't necessarily about your calories it is about your volume. So in a very real way intermittant fasting prevents the stomach from shrinking. If you eat two or one large meals, you have large meals, that pushes your stomach out. The stomach stays large and no message is given to the brain that you aren't getting enough food. Every day the body says, got to keep that stomach large for the big meal I will be getting.

But, if you are eating 6 small meals per day, with smaller volume (calories) your stomach shrinks because it never gets enough to get the message to stay large. This is how people eat who had their stomach reduced via surgery.

I think this because it typically takes my body 12 to 16 weeks to adjust. Thy only thing I think could really account for this is the time it takes for your stomach volume to reduce.

With regard to the carbonated sodas.. I tried the carbinated water and that actually is just as bad as regulated water. I have googled it and a lot of people have this problem (water can make them sick). I do have water but I can't have as much as I would like. I just need to have one soda per day and that will elminate the problem. Not sure why, maybe something in the soda ? I never have caloried soda.
This is an interesting theory Ann. I seem to have trouble once I get near 170 which my body seems to notice and really mental and physical hunger kick in. Last night I had peanut butter cookies, just to make sure I didn't lose past 170. Ouch! I hate that. Well I have a retailiation plan. I'm going on a bone broth and cod liver oil fast as long as I can,,,,,I will keep you posted. It is day one
Old 09-07-2016, 07:32 AM   #223  

Default New to 3 fat chicks

Hi there,
Just found this website. Still finding my way around.
I have done the one meal a day and can do it, what do you do when you get to wanting to eat something? I eat when I'm not even hungry, sometimes because I feel I should eat something. Sometimes I'm ok until I eat somethnig and then find I can't stop as I've started. I'm a veggie almost vegan and only like plain boiled veggies salad, its when I start on the biscuits/ home made scones and then choccy, I'm a sercet eater on all of them.
I need to lose about 1.5 stones as I lost it all and now put most of it back on and I can't shift it at all, not like the old days when I could do 7lbs in a week just cutting out the rubbish, I suppose its being 53 and body slowing down.

This sounds confusing but hope you know what I'm trying to say.... Oh, hello to you all as well.... anyone give me the link to the devotions thread as I'm a church going girl and I now can't find the thread. Thank you.

Also when dieting I get to day 9 and have to have a big binge and then start all over again
mary54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:47 AM   #224  

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyFree View Post
This is an interesting theory Ann. I seem to have trouble once I get near 170 which my body seems to notice and really mental and physical hunger kick in.
I have noticed that too. When you get to the mega stall, it isn't just that you are stuck. You start to get crazy hunger mentally and physically. I did a medically supervised diet and had frequent blood tests. I did notice that about 13 weeks in, my TSH went up (but not enough to have a thyroid problem) my cholesterol went up, sort of indicating that my thyroid had reduced, and my blood pressure became quite low. Also, all my other blood tests were off.

I should have stopped. Instead I started having crazy binges. Binges that I normally wouldn't do. And those binges didn't stop until I had been off the diet for a signifigant period of time and was back to a full stomach.

Quote:
what do you do when you get to wanting to eat something?
What I find interesting is just how my hunger dies outside of my eating period. I actually feel like my stomach has to be woken up every day. Breakfast used to do that. But if you find yourself hungry... I find hot water really works well to kill the appitite. Tea or black coffee. Also I try to go to bed right after my dinner. Not that I go to sleep but just being upstairs seems to keep me from wanting to eat.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:38 AM   #225  

Default Water

I do try and drink water to curb the hunger but I get a bit awash with water as that is all I drink, mostly hot water, nd then if I don't have too much food in me I tend to get up and wee all night asthere isnothing to soak the water up
mary54 is offline   Reply With Quote