General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:17 AM   #241  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Height: 5'7"

Hello,
I started IF in December with an 8 hour window. The next day I was down to a 6 hour window. I stayed there through the New Year and was impressed that I lost weight over the Holidays. I tried a 4 hour window next but noticed I was eating junk food because I still had time left even though I was not hungry. The last few weeks I have come to love OMAD.
I am still in the Honeymoon stage so I want to shout it from the rooftop how easy it is and how I have no hunger until it is time for my next meal.
I am so grateful for Dr. Fung and all the other Dr's. and scientists who have done this research.
At this point I don't need support but it would be nice to talk to others who can relate.
In real life only my doctor and husband know I eat OMAD. I do not want to have to deal with all the people who say it is unhealthy and have not read the scientific research that proves otherwise.
Thanks for being here. Ubee
Ubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:39 AM   #242  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I can relate!! =)

Like you, I came to OMAD by shrinking my eating window over time. I didn't start out with the plan of necessarily going OMAD (in fact, the acronym wasn't in use back then) but that's where I ended up and I **love** it!

It allows me to eat out regularly and frankly, even when I do eat out, the dinner isn't always better than the ones I am eating at home. It used to be such a bummer when I was counting calories and dividing those over 3 meals plus snacks to go out to eat for one glorious meal then have to go back to the grind the next day. I do watch what I'm eating with OMAD in the sense that I start with volumetrics-style soup or salad and I generally limit my starchy/sugary carbs but I've been eating fabulous, tasty, satisfying dinners at home. Such a game-changer!

I have to credit JohnP on 3FC (don't think he's been around lately) as the person who told me that there was no evidence that eating several times a day was better for the metabolism... I checked it out and he was right. Turns out that "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" is very suspect too. I much prefer to eat in the evening. 5 PM is about as early as I am comfortable eating because I really don't like feeling hungry before I go to sleep. After I sleep, my body resets and I'm good again.

There may be some health benefits to an IF lifestyle to boot. I'm glad that might be the case, but for me it's gravy. Just being able to live a life without the constant worry of either gaining weight or having to count calories and the hours until my next paltry "meal" is super liberating.

Like you, I don't really need support any more, but it's nice to be able to effuse about finding something that has worked for me to another who can relate. The one exercise I have found that works with my lifestyle is browsing the web while I walk on a treadmill, so I do visit these boards sometimes (and yes, I am walking on the treadmill right now, lol).

I kind of wonder if there are a bunch of ex-3FCers who found OMAD, are happy with their lifestyles, and wandered away because posting about their diets wasn't very interesting and they didn't need support. That's sort of what happened to me. I had other things to do on the web, but I dropped an online game I was playing because it was taking more time than I wanted (time off the treadmill) and these days I have been avoiding certain aspects of the web, so I've been browsing 3FC more often.

Last edited by yoyoma; 02-08-2017 at 06:00 AM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 03:19 PM   #243  

yoyoma I'm glad you dropped by.
I can relate to everything you said. The funny thing is that I was thinking yesterday that I sure am enjoying a lot of soup and salads lately. I did not make a choice to eat like that but my body sure did. Did it feel like a natural choice for you also?
At this point I feel like OMAD is something I could do forever. It seems so natural and like my body wanted me to do all along.
I think one of the greatest benefits has been that when I used to get stressed I would reach for food. The first time with IF that I had major stress and it wasn't in my window, I had to feel my emotions. It was a good thing!
Please tell me that as you are maintaining that there are no foods that are off limits. I do plan on always eating healthy but I still want to enjoy all kinds of foods especially if it is a special meal. It is one of the things that makes this so attractive to me. While counting calories all I did was try to figure meals out and heaven forbid if I overate and still "had" to have supper.
I do think it may very well be a maintainers best kept secret!
Old 02-09-2017, 10:18 PM   #244  

Ubee, I don't have any off-limit foods per-se, but on a normal day there are a lot of foods that I don't keep in the house and therefore don't eat. I measure my nuts, chocolate, and starch on a normal day, but I have essentially unlimited soup, entree, and veggie sides. I almost always just have an ounce of nuts and 2 squares of dark chili chocolate for dessert and a small serving (like 1/2 cup) of starch (e.g. brown rice, red lentils).

No food is off-limits if I'm eating out or celebrating, and I'm willing to have some periods of gain (like vacations and holidays) and balance them out the rest of the year.

Most of the soups are home-made and I love those especially in the winter. With OMAD, I usually start to get hungry about an hour before dinner so I am very ready to eat by dinner time. A first course soup or salad takes the edge off so I can appreciate the main course. At home I enjoy a wide variety of entrees and side-dishes -- today was chicken with pepper/onion stir fry, yesterday was bbq pork and roasted kohlrabi, before that was a chicken curry (made with coconut milk), and not too long ago was roasted goat. There's also plenty of salmon, meat sauces, various roasted vegetables. I'm often very satisfied before I finish my main course serving and I don't feel compelled to overstuff myself in order to finish.

I've always enjoyed wholesome food, and I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've bought a fast food burger or taco and I've never really had a weakness for things like chips or ice cream. But in the past I would gain weight even on a wholesome diet. I was the heaviest kid in my elementary school and that has cast a long shadow. Back in the 80's I had a doctor who wanted me to lose weight who literally didn't believe me when I told him how I ate. So, the upshot for me is that keeping my weight in a normal range used to be a huge struggle, and now it feels easy as pie. My lifestyle does incorporate restrictions but they don't feel very restrictive to me after decades of stress.

Last edited by yoyoma; 02-09-2017 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:32 PM   #245  

yoyomama,
I know what you mean about after trying all those other ways of eating that this does not seem restrictive.
Lately I have been struggling. When I first heard OMAD I thought I would be so hungry by the time my window started. I am finding that yes, I am a little hungry but after a small amount of food I am full for the next 23 hours. Being as heavy as I am I know I have a ton of fuel stored up. It is hard to adjust to this new mindset that it is healthy to not eat when not hungry. I have read the science behind it so I know it is healthy on so many levels. I have to learn to trust myself and the science behind this.
As I write this I realize how silly this is since bad advice to follow the SAD is what got me to 300+.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:46 PM   #246  

I am glad that OMAD is working for you, but it's important to eat enough too! Have you read about "metabolic adaptation"? I think that was a big problem for me ever since my first episode of weight loss in high school. It's not clear how to avoid it, but most recommendations are to avoid severe dieting.

During the day, I don't mind too much if I feel hungry because it generally passes pretty quickly, and if it doesn't I have a few go-to's that I don't count against the fasting period (lattes with NF milk froth, broth, SF jello). Some folks might say that's not really OMAD, but I do what works for me. =)

I also really don't mind starting to get hungry about an hour before eating because it just means I am really looking forward to dinner lol. One of the approaches I tried previously that wasn't sufficient was the Beck Diet/Life Solution which is a self-help CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) approach to a sustainable lifestyle. Although that didn't work for me without OMAD, the "hunger is no emergency" exercises do help me keep hunger in perspective. And with OMAD, I know that later in the day I will be satisfied with a delicious meal. =)

Last edited by yoyoma; 02-11-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:48 PM   #247  

hi yoyomama,
If I remember correctly the fasting helps to reset your metabolism. That is why you do not have the rapid regain and extreme hunger after you lose a large amount of weight. (like many of us do after losing 50 or so pounds.)
I did have a planned feast meal today. So my appetite is alive and well. I was heavy on the carbs and I am not hungry later like I used to be. After my feast (Special Occasion) with no guilt/concern I am once again thrilled to have found this WOE. The best part is that my husband is thinking he may want to join me!
I have also read and been helped by The Beck Diet Solution. "Hunger is not an emergency" was something I had to learn and realize that I was treating it as an emergency. I find it sad that I had to be told that.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:27 PM   #248  

Well, there are lots of potential health benefits associated with IF (and OMAD in particular). There is some reason to think that OMAD (/IF) may help with issues related to metabolic adaptation (gherlin levels, leptin resistance, etc), but it's not clear at this point that it can truly prevent it. I think that losing weight more slowly and/or periodically might help but it would be nice to see more solid studies.

That problem aside, I don't know how much you are eating, but it's really hard to fit enough macros and micros into a low calorie budget that includes enough protein to avoid muscle wasting, recommended levels of healthy fats, plenty of flavinols, etc. Again, I don't know how many calories you are eating, so you might be fine. But it is easy with OMAD to have a problem where you potentially don't eat enough, and I do often find myself sending back a portion of the food I had planned to eat. So, just throwing out a caution to make sure you eat enough to avoid health issues and/or metabolic damage.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:33 PM   #249  

Thanks for your concern yoyomama.
I am doing this to get healthier. I like all foods healthy and not so healthy so I need to be careful.
I did break my fast early today and I knew why right away. I did not get a good nights rest. I am a firm believer in a good nights sleep. Just didn't happen since our grandson slept over and I was listening for his crying. It was not necessary because he sleeps for 12 hours at our house.
May I ask, how did you first get introduced to fasting?
Old 02-15-2017, 04:42 AM   #250  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Is it OK if I dip in here occasionally? I don't do OMAD but I'm in my 3rd week of 5:2.

I'm interested in finding out about the health benefits of IF in addition to losing weight. I'm pretty impressed with the weightloss so far - I'd already lost 12lbs in a few weeks before starting 5:2, and I'm a Very, VERY old hand at yo-yo weight loss and regain, so I didn't expect 5:2 to help much but 5.5lbs in 2 weeks for someone who was already well into losing is pretty good.

Thank you.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:06 AM   #251  

Ubee, I feel you completely on the sleep issue. Lack of sleep has been a contributing factor in my past struggles with weight maintenance. I fall asleep easily but I have "sleep maintenance" insomnia which means I wake up (and have trouble falling back asleep) after too little sleep. A few years ago, I cleaned up the light pollution in my bedroom and found some time-release melatonin and valerian. Things have been a lot better since then, but sometimes I mess up and fall asleep before taking my supplements and then I usually wake up way too early. Those days I am short on sleep I do feel much more hungry and I am willing to break my fast. I think you did the smart thing. Getting through the day shouldn't be such a struggle, and if you're short on sleep, your ghrelin/leptin levels will be thrown off, so it's a good time for some self-compassion.

Hi, Rosinante! Welcome to the thread. =) I do not dwell on the health benefits of IF (and OMAD in particular), so I won't comment on how solid the research is. But there are a surprising number of potential health benefits touted for IF. You may know about the decades-old research into increased longevity (originally in rats) kept on low-calorie diets? It is speculated that most of those benefits are reaped with IF. I've seen indications that periodic ketogenic states may help with insulin resistance (which helps avoid development of diabetes), leptin resistance (resistance tones down the eating "off" switch), fatty liver, serum glucose levels (and helps prevent vascular and other damage caused by high levels), and even cancer (the idea here being that the ketogenic state basically starves the tumors sortof like the way some cancer drugs suppress the growth of blood vessels). You will hear about even more benefits (some may be "downstream" from other benefits) if you google the topic but the research is relatively new and human studies are difficult.

Ubee, I honestly don't remember how I was introduced to fasting, but I do know the first step was getting dope-slapped by JohnP (on 3FC) years ago because I was repeating the mantra that we should eat several times a day to keep our metabolism in high gear, and I am so grateful to him! I had heard about eating windows and IF before I began shrinking mine, but I don't think that IF had really caught on back then.

I am very happy that the approach which works for me aligns with recent research, but I was willing to go this route even before it seemed like such a good idea healthwise, and, in fact, I was bit concerned about it when I started (but luckily the research was starting to come in then so I was able to reassure myself I wasn't doing myself a lot of harm).

Last edited by yoyoma; 02-15-2017 at 06:14 AM.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:55 AM   #252  

Hi yoyomama,
I was starting to seriously think that I would give weight loss one more try before I would start thinking about weight loss surgery. I really did not want to have surgery. It seems way too difficult. After reading this I think I may be on the right path.
https://intensivedietarymanagement.c...st-loser-diet/
I am grateful to my hairstylist for telling me about intermittent fasting.

Welcome Rosinante! The more the merrier!
My hairstylist as mentioned above does 5:2 and she looks so trim and lean. She really impressed me. After talking with her I started on my journey.
The health benefits are fascinating. The more I research the more impressed I become. They even say it i may be beneficial to do while in chemotherapy. http://www.cancer.net/blog/2016-10/f...atment-it-safe
Here is an article with links to 10 GREAT benefits that also provides links to back up the scientific research.
https://authoritynutrition.com/10-he...ttent-fasting/

The part I find frustrating is that people fail to do the research before commenting.
There is a difference between fasting and calorie reduction.
https://intensivedietarymanagement.c...tment-problem/
The second one is there is a difference between fasting and starvation! Which also has to do with calorie restriction without fasting.
https://intensivedietarymanagement.c...ng-fasting-27/

Thanks for letting me vent/inform at the same time.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:56 PM   #253  

Thanks for the links Ubee! Lots of good stuff. =)

One reason I try not to focus too much on the research is that I've seen different people arguing about the details -- for different schedules (in terms of fasting period, like ADF vs OMAD, time for eating (morning, post-workout), etc) and I've also seen some evidence in favor of protein feeding periodically. But when I get inspired to try to switch up my schedule I run into trouble. So, I plan on sticking with what is working for me. It might or might not be optimal from a health research point of view, but there's at least a lot of reason to think that I'm in the right ballpark and I'm happy with it. =)

Last edited by yoyoma; 02-16-2017 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:18 AM   #254  

yoyomama, I agree that what works for one doesn't mean it works for another. We are all very different. A huge part of this journey is finding what works for us. As far as that goes sometimes we need to switch things around when we get a stall, are maintaining, aging, or not feeling well.

I think that is what I was trying to say in my post. Many people say negative or scary things about perfectly healthy diets just because they are not informed. My sister believes it is all about eating less and doing lots of exercise. My cousin thinks Weight Watchers is the only way... We all need to find what works for ourselves. We need support not tearing down.

I just have to add that every time I have asked someone how they have lost weight, the first thing out of my mouth is "I could never do that!" The thing is it starts rolling around in my brain, then I have to research it. Next thing you know I am thinking I should try that. So for all of you reading this when you hear someone say that, don't get frustrated but realize you may have just planted a seed.

Have a peaceful day.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:08 PM   #255  

For those of you who may be familiar with Dr. Jason Fung, you might want to check out a Facebook page inspired by him. It's called Fung Shweigh inspired by Dr. Jason Fung and you can find it here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/459769974182105/

You have to request to join the group, but I find it both very encouraging and full of great information. A lady just posted this morning about her 66 lb weight loss since September (with photos) and it was amazing! Since she's post-menopausal and had a lot of the same problems I do, it was quite inspiring.

Also, Butter Bob Briggs has been off the radar screen for awhile, but he just posted a new video that I found very helpful as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osPW_D9P3fE
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote