General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:16 AM   #1  

S/C/G: See ticker!

Height: 5'0

Default Cutting out white carbs

Hey everyone.
I've decided I'm going to try cutting out all white carbs, or restrict them and stick with sweet potatoes, wheat bread, and brown rice.

I've been through so many diets, and this is something I have never tried to do when on a diet. I can't afford to go to the doctor but I have most the symptoms of pre-diabetes and PCOS. So I'm thinking white carbs have to do with the blood sugar and glucose stuff. I've always lost weight very slow and gain easily, so I'm hoping this will make it come off easier if I control the sugar and such.

I've been reading around and researching, but there's only plans that have to do with cutting out or limiting all carbs, not only white carbs. So I was wondering if anyone knows how this will effect me. Should I expect tiredness and irritability the first couple months? Will cutting white carbs help, or do I need to cut all carbs?

I'm kind of confused so any advice will be much help! Thanks!
Samantha18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:47 AM   #2  

I'm not sure which low carb diet cuts out ALL carbs, because even the Atkins diet wants you to include good healthy vegetables (which are carbs), after the first week or two. In any case, most people do lose weight on a low carb diet, staying away from all sugar, flours/starches....and also include in that all processed foods. Watch this video. Maybe it'll help to give you a better understanding of low carbing...and remember, it's not the fat, it's the sugar! Good luck! If you stay with low carb, you will lose the weight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
hatgirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:02 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

I calorie count, but I do this basically. Mostly because I found the white carbs less filling than the more whole-grain or higher fiber versions. In exchange I eat lots more fruit and vegetables. I don't usually have any starch at dinner except for sweet potatoes. No irritability to speak of because really I'm still eating about 50% carbohydrates in the form of vegetables and fruits and whole grains. But there is the occasional gas from the higher fiber!

But if you do think you have pre-diabetes and PCOS you really ought to get checked. And the results could help you a lot with what you're going through. Maybe Planned Parenthood? Or one of those Minute Clinics in the Target or other store at least? Even a basic checkup should not cost too much, I got basic checkups from my regular doctor when I was between insurance coverage for about $200 cash (I told her I didn't have insurance).
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:53 AM   #4  

What you are doing sounds like Sugar Busters. You cut out sugar, and the whites...and corn, beets, and high glycemic fruits like bananas, watermelon, pineapple. The thread on here, Busting Sugar, is a small group of us who have been doing this type of diet for years. Come join us!

It IS a good diet for pre-diabetes, by the way. Cutting out ALL carbs is not necessary for success. I do experience a few days of detox when I have gotten away from proper eating then come back to it. But its not too bad.

If you think you are pre-diabetic, then the absolute BEST thing you can do to fight the insulin resistance is to walk at least 30 minutes every day. Wish I had known that BEFORE I crossed from pre to full blown diabetes.

Last edited by Ellen; 05-06-2011 at 07:56 AM.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:29 AM   #5  
~Krystal~

S/C/G: ~175/Too Much/~~ABS

Height: 5'3.5"

There is an awesome website for this called
The Glycemic Index
http://www.glycemicindex.com/
You may be able to find some very valuable info here!
Best of luck to you
K9Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:58 AM   #6  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

Do you know that you have PCOS or prediabetes? If you are suspecting you do, get yourself to a good Doc so they can help you learn how to monitor these conditions, especially if you are struggling with weight. It can make weight loss a little more challenging than average.

I am on a similar plan. I calorie counts but am in the same spot with prediabetes and do basically a diabetic diet where carbs are controlled. There is no need to go low carb but just to moderate them. The premise of it is, space good slow burning carbs throughout the day in meals balanced with proteins and moderate fat. One big hurdle for people is that carbs spike blood sugars and drops it quickly which leaves you hungry faster, craving more carbs. This is basic yet few people understand insulin response, even though it's how our bodies actually work.

http://www.spinalhealth.net/insulin.html

Anywho, I have found eating moderate carbs and higher protein I have just as much success as I do on way lower calorie diets with higher carbs and I don't have the unexplained cravings I had before. Working to keep my blood sugars stable and fuel my body to perform like I need it to has really "unlocked" things for me. For a while there, I thought I had some ED or something b/c I had intense carbs cravings and didn't know why. Now that I don't yank my blood sugars around, cravings are very few and far between. A little understanding goes a long way! Some people can eat high carbs and their bodies can process it just fine. For those who can eat the same thing as their thin counterparts and gain weight, their bodies just process carbs differently and their diets need balancing to match their bodies. If you want to lose weight, you can. Insulin resistance might slow you down on weight loss but when you control your insulin response, your insulin resistance should improve.

If you cut out too many carbs or are too restrictive you may get low blood sugar. I have a problem with low blood sugars sometimes and it really sucks so you want to make sure your body is getting everything it needs. You never need to do anything drastic. Slow and steady wins this race.

Learning about the Glycemic Index will help educate you on which carbs will have the most impact on blood sugars. I prefer to use lower GI carbs when eating grain products. I don't tend to use it when selecting fruits although one day I may need to should I become Type 2.

http://diabetes.webmd.com/glycemic-i...rsus-bad-carbs

I want to make this clear. There is NOTHING wrong with our bodies. Our bodies are fine, they just don't run well on the present diet of over-processed foods prevalent in our society. We can fine tune them. It's never too late to learn how to fuel your body.

Let me know if you have any questions or need more info, I will see what I can find for you.

This might sound a little fatalistic but it's my reality. I am genetically prone to diabetes and my body has shown an inclination to be that way. It's not really an if but when. The chances of me getting it are more than 60% at this point but if I have anything to say about when, I am choosing to deal with this in my 70s instead of my 30s.

Again, if you suspect you are dealing with one of these issues, get into a good Doc. If you are prediabetic, you need nutritional counseling so you can get a full understanding of how your body is working.

Last edited by 4star; 05-06-2011 at 09:08 AM.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:50 AM   #7  

S/C/G: See ticker!

Height: 5'0

Thanks so much everyone <3! All this information helped tons and I'm still checking out the links. I will look into sugar busters for sure! I'm going to eat 3 meals a day and count calories, no white carbs, and get in at least 15 minutes a day of walking to start.

4stars - Everything you said really hit me and I feel good to know I might be on the right track this time. Even while dieting, the weightloss comes off so slow for me and I gain way too fast. The part about carbs messing with blood sugar and causing more cravings is so very true with me also - I like to eat only 2 hugee meals, because if I eat throughout the day, I just get 10x more hungry. Snacks are the end of me because one little snack just makes me want to eat even more than beforehand.

I'm not sure if I have pre-diabetes, but I'm 90% sure I have pcos. I have all the symptoms like excess body hair (which I can't find anything else to explain it) and this might be TMI, but my periods haven't been regular for the past couple years. I also have bad discoloration on my neck, which I read is associated with diabetes. Usually when I diet though, the discoloration clears up, so I'm sure it's from my weight and such rather than genetics. I'm definitely going to a doctor when I find a job. I'm on my mom's insurance but I just don't feel right asking her to pay what the insurance won't cover because she's having money trouble, but I'll go when I can for sure. Thanks again for your help!
Samantha18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:20 PM   #8  
Fit Jeff

S/C/G: 301/195

Height: 5'11"

I think this is a great plan. This helped with my weight loss as well. I recommend taking all processed sugar out of your diet. Other than white bread, it lurks in most processed frozen foods as well.
shakespearestoe is offline   Reply With Quote