General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:36 PM   #316  
One calorie at a time

S/C/G: 155/149/135

Height: 5'4"

I did it! And Katydid, you are so right, very anticlimactic - in a good way, of course I had just as good of a workout, was just as awake, and had a bit more time to do whatever I wanted as I did not spend time cooking or doing the washing up for a few extra meals. I think I might make this a regular event until my weight starts shifting.

I've also been lower carb the past few days, but think I might need to move into that a little slower. IF came easily, but controlling carbs has just made me want to eat them like crazy! I haven't, but I feel like I want to Always something else I can do better, and this week, this is it!
Missjessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:08 PM   #317  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Txalupa Haha!! Too funny

sarah I'd do a community fast- that sounds like a great idea!

Neanderpam At what level of LC do you recommend the dieter should introduce a refeed? Is it appropriate for only those on <50 g, <100 g, etc?
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:41 AM   #318  

S/C/G: 164/see ticker/125

Height: 5 feet even

Sarah I would do a community fast too!

Today I failed with the IF thing. Just didn't have my mind in the game, and flat out didn't stop myself from snacking.

Honestly, I thought about it, but it's like I decided that mentally today wasn't the day for it.

I am going to go on a longer than usual fast tomorrow, but considering I ate tonight at about midnight, I don't know that it will wind up being a true 24 hour fast.

It will either be a 18hour-ish fast, or I'll stick to my guns and it will wind up being like a 36 hour fast.

They are doing surprise audits at work and it's crazy stressful. That is why I gave into grazing again today.
Katydid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:09 AM   #319  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

I'm almost two weeks into an IF program of daily fasting with a five - seven hour eating window. It's been an adjustment, but so far I'm enjoying the results. I love the fuller feeling when I eat, and haven't had the urge to binge like I do when I eat smaller meals and snacks that don't satisfy.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:30 AM   #320  
Keto lady

S/C/G: 206/190/Under 140

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by synger View Post
I'm almost two weeks into an IF program of daily fasting with a five - seven hour eating window. It's been an adjustment, but so far I'm enjoying the results. I love the fuller feeling when I eat, and haven't had the urge to binge like I do when I eat smaller meals and snacks that don't satisfy.
Woo! Good to hear!

I like the control I get from it. Also, I like to say 'yes you can totally have that' to myself during my window.

On Sunday I took a nap during my window and was like 'uh oh, stop wasting valuable eating hours!!' Still managed to eat plenty.. haha
Txalupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:21 PM   #321  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

I read this thread yesterday and decided to do a fast-day today.
I made it to 20 hours.
I'm trying to get back to the Fast 5 approach. It worked really well for me a little over a year ago and then I let snacks and breakfast back into my diet and gained over half of the weight back.
I'm going to try to make it a way of life this time
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:34 PM   #322  

S/C/G: 147/120

Height: 5'6

Hey guys, just wanted to pop in and see how everyone's doing. Seems like everyone is doing well. I've really enjoyed this WOE too, I think it's because I get that satisfied feeling every evening. I started out doing ESE, which i did for two weeks.. not long I know. Then, I just decided to commit to fast-5, which I have done for about a month now.

I'm wondering what everyone's weight loss results have been? I lost about 4 pounds initially, but have since maintained, which is great, but I hope I keep losing. There have been two times in the past month where I've eaten a little during lunch time, so they weren't complete fast days, per se. Am I being too impatient for more weight loss? Has anyone here lost a significant amount of weight eating this way and how long did it take?

I'm really ready to get to my GW, for summer especially. I think I'm going to do one or two 24 hr fasts a week in conjunction with ESE and see how that goes. I lost the 4 pounds during the first 2 weeks which were the ESE weeks then when I went to fast-5 I just have maintained so hopefully this will work. I'll keep everyone updated.
Kasey87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:21 PM   #323  

S/C/G: 277/114/115

Height: 5' 1.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiblue View Post
Txalupa Haha!! Too funny

sarah I'd do a community fast- that sounds like a great idea!

Neanderpam At what level of LC do you recommend the dieter should introduce a refeed? Is it appropriate for only those on <50 g, <100 g, etc?
I don't do a refeed because I'm lowcarb, I do a refeed to feed my muscles for lifting. It depends on how you lift, how much weight you are lifting for me. It's pretty hard to grow muscle without enough carbs put at the right time. So, I place my carbs around my workouts (protein shake before my lift, and then my highest carb after..usually sweet potato, paired with cottage cheese or another higher carb starchy veg, paired with a protein to slow it down a bit).

If you're lifting weights, and doing a CKD type program, the refeed is almost essential to growing/retaining muscle.
neanderpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:19 PM   #324  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderpam107 View Post
It's pretty hard to grow muscle without enough carbs put at the right time.
Agreed. I eat epic sized post workout meals if I train fasted which I often do.

Example: Package of hamburger helper + lb of 93% lean turkey + can of corn + 3 eggs + apple + bananna + 100g of raisin bran + 48 oz non fat milk + 44g of isolate protein + rooster sauce.

calories 2,884
Fat 73.0
Carbs 351.3
Protein 230.8

All carefully weighed for accuracy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg small.meal.jpg (39.8 KB, 27 views)
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:40 PM   #325  

I started fasting off and on about 25 years ago and my weight problem actually worsened. I finally learned about intuitive eating and lost 40 lb. and have kept it off over the last 3 years.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:23 PM   #326  
Embracing the suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolr3639 View Post
I started fasting off and on about 25 years ago and my weight problem actually worsened. I finally learned about intuitive eating and lost 40 lb. and have kept it off over the last 3 years.
No one here is doing traditional fasting. What we are doing is different. The longest anyone here is fasting is 24 hours which means they eat a meal at say 6:00 PM and then don't eat again until 6:00 PM.

Also I think we would all agree that people need to get their dietary habits in order first, and then give intermittent fasting a shot if they desire. Certainly it would be easy to a person who has not developed good habits to do a 24 hour fast and then proceed to go on a massive binge.

In light of how this thread has gone, I'm not sure what your purpose in posting was. It would seem you saw the title and skipped to the last page without reading the rest. Regardless, congrats on getting to your goal. I'd suggest you take a look at the rest of the thread you might discover that intermittent fasting is for you even if traditonal fasting was not.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:28 PM   #327  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Agreed. I eat epic sized post workout meals if I train fasted which I often do.

Example: Package of hamburger helper + lb of 93% lean turkey + can of corn + 3 eggs + apple + bananna + 100g of raisin bran + 48 oz non fat milk + 44g of isolate protein + rooster sauce.

calories 2,884
Fat 73.0
Carbs 351.3
Protein 230.8

All carefully weighed for accuracy.

Can you actually eat all of that in one setting???

That would truly be impressive. LOL

Your pic is cute, btw
Old 04-13-2011, 10:51 PM   #328  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Grumble grumble, I wish someone had changed the name of Intermittent Fasting before it caught on. Even "I eat for a shorter time during the day than most people because it lowers insulin and other metabolic hormones during times I don't eat which lowers risk of heart disease and renders important health benefits" is easier to explain to someone than the look of fear that comes over their face when you say "Intermittent Fasting."

Also, thanks neanderpam for the info!

JohnP lol your recovery meal is more food than I'm supposed to eat in two and a half days...
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:28 PM   #329  

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiblue View Post
Grumble grumble, I wish someone had changed the name of Intermittent Fasting before it caught on. Even "I eat for a shorter time during the day than most people because it lowers insulin and other metabolic hormones during times I don't eat which lowers risk of heart disease and renders important health benefits" is easier to explain to someone than the look of fear that comes over their face when you say "Intermittent Fasting."
Honestly I never say Intermittent Fasting.

I always say 'oh, I do IF. It's just a basic calorie diet (true in my case) where I shorten my eating window a bit, and of course the ol' exercise!'

I don't go into details at all, and pretty much they are satisfied with the diet and exercise routine. Most people would only really be interested if you could say "I pay $5 for these magic beans and I eat one a day and lose 12 pounds a week, while doing anything I want!!"
Old 04-14-2011, 02:50 AM   #330  
Embracing the suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katydid77 View Post
Can you actually eat all of that in one setting???

That would truly be impressive. LOL
At first it was a little difficult coming from 5-6 small meals a day but with practice it's not only easy, it's fun.

I could actually eat more. Working out fasted tends to make me ravenous.