General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2002, 06:11 PM   #1  
One day at a time. :)

S/C/G: 254/248/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Kathy Smith Plan

This is for the followers of the Kathy Smith Plan. We will be starting on Week 1, effective Monday. Based on the plan, we are free to do 2 or 3 weight sessions a week. I plan on doing 3. So it looks like either Monday, Wed, and Fri for weights and Tues, Thurs, and Sat for Cardio and then Sunday is free. OR...just the opposite. M, W and F for Cardio and T, Th, and Sat for weights.

My vote is for MWF weights. I think Saturdays, it would be easier for me to get in my half hour of cardio then to try to set aside time for weights on my Saturdays! But I am open to either way~!

Check in and let me know what your vote is for. It really doesn't matter, we can do whatever is convienent, but I would like for us to be on the same days, so we can discuss weight amounts, etc...and any problems/questions that we might have about the program.

I am only going to be checking in during the evening hours, so please help each other during the day! I will look forward to seeing fabulous results from all of us!

Much love and good luck!
Tiffany
Old 10-06-2002, 06:38 PM   #2  

Can you tell me what the Kathy Smith plan is all about? I've seen her on TV but really haven't paid that much attention to her program before.

Thanks
Barb
Old 10-07-2002, 10:17 AM   #3  

Barb,

Kathy Smith has a book that some friends on the "Doing Our Own Thing" thread have been reading. The title is "Lifting Weights to Lose Weight."

I believe that there are some diet recommendations included in the book, but this thread is primarily dedicated to trying out/getting into her exercise routine.

Feel free to jump in any time or ask more detailed questions. I haven't read the book yet, myself, but there are several others who have floating around who have.
Old 10-07-2002, 10:31 AM   #4  

Tiff, I'll go along with either days you want to set up the schedule, I have yoga on Wed night but could work the weights in early on those mornings. I haven't done either yet today so I'll have to do somehting when I get home, guess I'll start with the weights tonight and can do a switch over starting next Monday if I'm not with the rest of you.

Hi Dewie, this all started when one of our gals from another thread purchased Kathy Smith's book about weight training and then several of us decided to give it a try. We are all starting today and it last 12 weeks (think that's right) were you follow a schedule of weight lifting three days per week and cardio for three. (I believe that we all will still be following our own diet plans with some adjustments as we proceed) I've not done the BFL program and really don't know anything about it, but from what I hear, KS would be easier starting point. If your interested please join us, I'll have to look up the exact title of the book if you want more info.
Old 10-07-2002, 11:10 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 308/238/164

Height: 5'5.5"

Okay, I started this morning and did weights. I opt for weights on M/W/F and cardio T/Th/Sat. I'm w/ ya, easier for to get in carido on the weekend.

I started w/ the 5lb weights, and my arms ALREADY feel like jello. I feel like I"m gonna drop my water bottle (granted is is a liter and 1/5). Gotta get my water in. Already over half way through .

I had problems w/ the a few of the exercises, and wasn't able to do all the reps. okay, okay.....I was only able to do 1 or 2. I didn't have time to do the "stablizer" stuff, so I'll do it when I get home. I don't have the book in front of me, but I was having a problem w/ the one where you lay down with your legs on a chair and then life your bum off the ground. When I lifted my legs weren't straight. UGH, I kept looking at the picture and couldn't figure outhow she did it. Maybe I was too close. I guess I'll just have to keep plugging away. I also found that at times I would lose count, because I still need to work on my breathing.
Old 10-07-2002, 08:08 PM   #6  
One day at a time. :)

S/C/G: 254/248/165

Height: 5'9"

I too am doing the weights on MFW and then cardio on the other days. Feeling good and strong and anxious to get started. So, when I close down this computer, I am hitting the weights!!

So excited to do this!
Tiff
Old 10-08-2002, 07:29 AM   #7  

I've already started the week opposite cardio/weights, but might switch it up next week. Yesterday I did the cardio. After I push the kids out the door, I'll do todays weights.
I still need to read the section in the book on food. It's like all the forces of nature have been against me when it comes to getting this book read.
Old 10-08-2002, 09:10 AM   #8  

Tig ~ Your cracking me up . I can definitely feel "it" in my back. Well not my back exactly. Kinda under the armpits but in the back area. When I look at book, I can tell you the freakin name of the muscle. Tomorrow, I'll need to really concentrate on breathing and form!
Old 10-08-2002, 09:54 AM   #9  

I did my weights last night and that was the longest thirty minutes of the day. Dyanm I have trouble with the breathing too, seems that I am breathing in when I should be going out. Figured your arms would be strong lifting all your babies, (makes me feel a little better since my arms feel week too)

Will do cardio tonight.
Old 10-08-2002, 11:07 AM   #10  

Ok, first day of weights. Felt pretty good. Sorta clumbsy on some of them and also breath opposite what is recommended. Whats up with that? When I try to breath the "right" way, I find myself holding my breath.
How's anyone doing with the food recommendations? I'm still sorting out the details. I feel so handicapped when it comes to food choices.
I forgot to time myself...although I'm sure I'll speed up when I no longer need the book in front of my nose.
Old 10-08-2002, 11:28 AM   #11  

See, that's exactly the problem I was talking about. I'm so glad that I'm not the only that can't seem to breath right. I did alot better with a few of the exercises and I've found that that's were I feel the burn the most.

I have the weakest arms! Yeah, you'd think I'd have stronger arms luggin around my kidrens. All I can say is...it's all in the hips.....it's all in the hips baabbeee .

I still haven't gotten to the food segment, and will propably just skip that part, as counting calories has been working so well for me.
Old 10-08-2002, 04:38 PM   #12  

I'm going to try to incorporate the food...it may take a couple weeks. Unless, Tiff shows up and plans my meals for me.
Old 10-09-2002, 09:20 AM   #13  

Second day at lifting weights (I was at em bright and early this am) and I must say I thought it was easier. I'm trying to slow down and maintain control on positive and negitive moves. Still finding it hard to breath the correct way but showed some improvement on that. I'm sure we will get better as we progress. Yoga tonight, that should help with soreness.
Old 10-09-2002, 09:38 AM   #14  

Okay, so I have decided to modify one of the exercises. The one for the Butt and thighs ~ I think. Well, Instead of putting my feet on a chair, I'm just bending my knees and leaving my feet on the ground. The I lift my hips & squeeze the glutes. I sure did feel it this morning! Don't get me wrong I still "Try" to the one in the book and after I do my "1" I do it my way .
Old 10-10-2002, 09:22 AM   #15  

Did my BallAlero (sp) this morning and got my cardio out of the way and after sweating like crazy I managed to drink half my water by the time I got to work. So, did I say that I'm doing good today!!
Closed Thread