General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2002, 11:16 PM   #1  

Default Has anyone ever been successful on an exchange diet?

One that does not require you to count calories?
I'm looking for something I can do for life.
Old 10-03-2002, 06:25 AM   #2  
Happy Member

I've been successful on an exchange diet. I went from 196.5 lbs. to 150 lbs. in the year 2000 at the age of 74. Now I am 76, and still maintaining the weight loss.

I am diabetic, so an exchange program was a logical step for me, Dr. recommended and all that. The method I used was the Richard Simmons program of healthy eating and exercise. The gadget used is called a Foodmover, and it records the exchanges. I began by using exchanges amounting to 1400 calories, now I have cut down on that. Currently I am eating 4 protein, 4 starch, 2 dairy, 5 vegetables, etc. It works for me. At times I fall off the wagon so-to-speak, but I get right back on. And every day offers a new opportunity to restart my healthy eating and exercise.

I have counted calories lots during my life, and for me this exchange program is much more simple. I just close the windows of my Foodmover and when the windows are all closed I am through eating for the day. And I can choose what I want to eat. No one ever starved using a Foodmover and an exchange program.

There is a lot of information on the internet regarding food exchanges, etc. My biggest problem was portion control. Until I got involved in all this I was eating more than I thought I was. When I began to limit the size of my portions, things worked much better.

Since losing the weight I have been able to eliminate all my diabetic meds and reduce my bp meds. I look better and feel better. My doctor is happy with me, my husband is happy with me. I am happy, too.

Good luck to you in whatever you decide to do. And if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Old 10-14-2002, 07:15 PM   #3  
Bev

S/C/G: 180/171.6/150

Height: 5'4

Is anyone following an exchange plan. I am just starting the old ww plan smart start.
Old 10-15-2002, 08:28 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Exchange programs are great. I am a calorie counter, but I take special care to make sure I get in so many fruits, etc.
Exchange programs take a lot of the thinking out of it all.
I personally think Richards is the easiest, and then you can always use the diabetic exchange diet, or some of the others. You can get the Foodmover for about $10, or the Foodmover with the exericise videos and all for about $30-$40.
Aphil
Closed Thread