General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2002, 10:25 AM   #1  

Talking cereal!

ok- this is what has worked for me- maybe some of u will identify with it:
breakfast: coffee w/ skim milk and a piece of fruit
no lunch
dinner: bowl of cereal w/ raisins and another piece of fruit
late night snack: sugar free jello or sugar free ice pops

exercise program:
3-4 days a week running for 30-40 minutes on an elliptical machine
5-10 minutes of abdominal work
10 minutes cooldown walk

I lost 50 pounds in 5 months doing this (10 lbs a month) and now im around 140, not my ideal weight but im still working at it
my goal weight is 125-120!! GOOD LUCK 2 ALL!!!
<3 lindsey

Old 03-03-2002, 06:47 PM   #2  
a work in progress...

I don't want to tell you what to do or anything, but you're not getting any protein, vegs or "good" fats--yes, there are some! You may lose weight quickly, but the chances of keeping it off are slim, unless you plan on eating this way indefinitely. I wish that you would balance your diet a little more and be HEALTHY as well as lose weight!

Good luck!

PS...great job on the exercise! How do you have the stamina?
Old 03-03-2002, 09:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/239/150

Height: 5'6

Default lindsay

Hi there, I was glad to see kat reply as I also was a bit concerned about your eating programme. I can certainly see how it wold have been effective for weight loss but it seems quite restrictive as a long term eating plan.

If you have opportunity it would be really worth doing some reading about nutrition and the bodies need for protein and fats as well as carbohydrates. I'm sure you want to be healthy for a long time to come, and a good balance of healthy foods will be a great help in maintaining your ideal weight.

As always, the things I have said are only my humble opinion and you must do what feels right for you.

All the best for the future

Old 03-04-2002, 08:56 AM   #4  

I'm surprised that's all you lost. That diet is near starvation levels and you can lose the same amount of weight (1-2 pounds a week) on a plan like Weight Watchers without starving. I don't understand why you would do that to your body if you didn't need to. That plan sounds like it's less than 500 calories a day. I'm surprised you're not having hair loss and other side effects of a long-term starvation diet.

You can get really sick on a plan such as the one you posted. There is no way to maintain that for any length of time and in the end you will succeed in slowing down your metabolism to the point where anything over what you posted will cause weight gain AND because of what you've done to your metabolism, any future weight loss will be twice as hard. I would rethink this plan.

Old 03-04-2002, 11:35 AM   #5  
Spicy Chick

Default Energy

I am just surprised with what you eat that you have enough energy to do all that exercise!!

good luck in which ever way you choose to continue
Old 03-04-2002, 11:47 AM   #6  
Uber-Moderator!!

What can I say that hasn't already been said?

Basically you are living off sugar (simple carbs). Stuff you're not getting big time are PROTEIN, healthy fats, and veggies.

Milk (yes even skim milk) is mostly carbs, and quite a few of those carbs come from lactose (milk sugar).

Raisins are basically pure sugar.

Cereal is very processed and most of them have a lot of sugar - even the supposedly 'healthy' ones.

I have a feeling you know you're not doing your body a favor whatsoever. In fact, if your goal is to lose fat you are actually sabotaging your efforts. Your body is VERY smart - it will go into starvation mode and hang onto the fat for dear life - burning MUSCLE instead. And of course, you need that muscle to burn fat.

Like Susan says, rethink and do some research...
Old 03-04-2002, 02:57 PM   #7  
Simply Noble

S/C/G: 320/258/175

Height: 5'4"

I had aproximatly the same weight loss by just eating heathy. Like everyone here says. You will live to regret doing it that way. Not just the metabolism but all that sugar\carbs might just mess up your insulin balance and make you diabetic. Please rethink it and get on a healthy diet soon. We all want you to succeed but not at the cost of your health.
Old 03-05-2002, 01:44 PM   #8  

Default 1st time posting, long time browser

I don't know how anyone could get through the day without eating any lunch!! Skipping meals is not the way to go... it only slows your metabolism down. There's nothing wrong with having a bowl of cereal for a meal as long as you aren't eating sugary foods all day long. I eat a bowl of Raisin Bran every day ( a recommendation from my doctor. Raisin's may be high in sugar but they are also high in other things like fiber!!!) and I eat a balanced lunch and dinner from ALL food groups. People tend to get a little obsessed over no sugar, no carb, high protein, no fat. Eat a balanced diet and live an active life and you will lose weight for life. I lost 65 pounds in two years (including cardio exercise and weight training). It took me a bit longer, but this is weight I know I will NEVER put back on again! It's true what everyone on here is saying... you are losing muscle and you are reaking havoc on your metabolism! I wish you luck and hope you consider some of the advice you've gotten on this thread. We are all here to give help and support!

Old 03-05-2002, 01:58 PM   #9  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Raisins - fiber?? I think not...

Raisins are extremely LOW in fiber, as are most other dried fruits.

Here's the info from FitDay:

1/4 cup of raisins has:

108.75 calories
28.68 grams carbs - only 1.45 grams of fiber so the rest of those carb grams are SUGAR for the most part!

Dried fruit is basically sugar - that's where most of the calories come from. You'd be much better off eating whole grapes - since you get more bang for your buck (tip: frozen grapes are a great snack!).

The fiber in Raisin Bran comes from the BRAN. The raisins are just in there for sweetness and chewiness.

Just my two cents...
Old 03-05-2002, 02:16 PM   #10  

Oops... meant the whole cereal not just the raisins. Moderately high in sugar but also high in fiber.
Closed Thread