Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 10:03 PM   #1  

Default Kashi Cereal or All Bran?

I was just wondering which cereal was better nutritionally for you. Is the Kashi Cereals better for your or is the Kellogg's All Bran Cereal better. I know the all bran has a lot of fiber. If Kashi is better for you which kinds?
Old 02-19-2005, 11:46 PM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

According to fiday.com All Bran has per 1cup serving 158 calories, 2 grams fat 46 gram carbs a whopping 19 grams of fiber 7 grams protein....Kashi per 1 cup has 83 calories 1 gram fat 18 grams carbs only 2 grams fiber and 3 grams protein... Depends what your looking for I guess but I would choose the All Bran because it has more fiber and protein per cup than Kashi...
Old 02-20-2005, 12:32 AM   #3  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Kashi tastes better, more variety of flavors.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:32 AM   #4  
Kim

I LOVE the Kashi cereals, especially the Heart to Heart. The GoLean and instant oatmeal are good too.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:47 PM   #5  

Kashi is a brand that has a range of cereals with different nutritional profiles. Which is "better" depends on your nutritional goals. There are some Kashi cereals that have just about as much fiber as All-Bran, and more protein to boot.

You can go to www.kashi.com and see the nutritional info for all of them, and then compare that to All-Bran.

As with any food, it's all about what YOUR goals and personal guidelines are. Any of these are perfectly healthy choices, which is the best for you is your choice.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:03 PM   #6  

I've tried All-Bran, Fiber One, and Kashi Go Lean.

I prefer the flavor of Kashi Go Lean to the other cereals. It has 140 calories, 10 grams of fiber, and 13 grams of protein per cup of cereal.

I actually like the taste of Fiber One a lot better than the taste of All-Bran. Fiber One has 120 calories, 28 grams of fiber, and 4 grams of protein per cup of cereal.

For eating just with milk and maybe some fresh fruit, I'll almost always choose Kashi GoLean. It tastes really good and the protein and fiber content keep me full for a long time. But, Fiber One is great sprinkled on yogurt and has a crazy amount of fiber, I would mix half a cup of Fiber One with 6 oz of nonfat yogurt and half a cup of fresh blueberries for a really filling breakfast.
Old 03-06-2005, 05:06 AM   #7  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

Taste-wise, I prefer the Kashi GoLean, too. Those of you with Aldi's near you, check them out -- they have store brand equivalents of Frosted Mini-Wheats and All Bran. They're really good nutritionally and they're a lot cheap. Used to be that store mostly carried high cal and fat convenience foods, but they've gotten into the swing of things and carry some great healthy items!
Old 03-06-2005, 01:06 PM   #8  

Default cereal comparisons

I spent 20 min in the grocery store comparing cereals.. unfortunately the Kashi cereals are on the opposite side of the store than the regular ones! How annoying! So I forgot to check those at all!

I look for high fiber and I look at the other nutrients like iron, etc.. but also taste. It's SO important to actually LIKE the stuff you eat.. otherwise, it feels like a chore to eat healthy. They are selling lower-sugar cereals for kids now.. like froot loops, etc. I use these to stave off sweet cravings by putting some in a little baggy and taking it to work for a snack. Man I love cereal. If it was good enough for you I could eat it for every meal.
Old 03-06-2005, 03:31 PM   #9  
Howie6267's Honey

I'd write the store via their website and tell them about the Kashi. It's been around for quite a while, but has usually been relegated to the health food section. Now that they've upped their advertising and become more popular, they really need to be in the cereal aisle - or in both aisles. I think some stores don't realize the sales they're missing; if a person goes in looking for Kashi and doesn't see it in the cereal, they may go elsewhere or just buy a cheaper cereal that doesn't net the store as much money. Placement's everything!
Old 03-09-2005, 01:28 PM   #10  

The Kashi cereals have added sugars. Not the way to go in my book. That is why they taste so good.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:01 PM   #11  
Howie6267's Honey

We don't mind added sugars if there's moderation. It all depends on what plan you're following and what you choose to "spend" your points or calories on.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:57 AM   #12  

Fortunately I have always like plain old shredded wheat and it is on WW Core as is Puffed Kashi but I am not sure I am eathing the correct one. Only puffed I can find has sesame in it.
Closed Thread