General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2002, 05:01 PM   #1  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Thumbs down Prevention Millennium Diet #82

Prevention Millennium Diet*

Daily servings
veg and fruits, 9 servings ( 5 veg/4 fruit)
whole grains, 3-6 servings
high-calcium, 2-3 servings

Weekly servings:
Beans - 5+
Nuts - 5
Fish - 2

Serving Sizes

veg. & fruit
1 serving = 1/2 c. chopped fruit
1/2 c. cooked or raw veg.
1 c. raw green leaves
3/4 c. veg or fruit juice

Whole Grains
1 serving = 1 slice whole wheat bread
1/2 rice or bulgar
1/2 c whole wheat pasta

Calcium 1 serving = 1 c ff or 1% milk
1 c ff yogurt
1 c calcium fortified O.J.
1 oz. reduced ff cheese

Supplements
100% DV multivitamin/mineral
500 (under 50) to 1000 (over 50) mg. calcium
100-400 IU Vit. E
100-500 mg Vit. C

Keep calories to 1500 a day - 250 cal. per meal. Eat 6 small meals a day. Do not exceed
42 fat grams per day.

Drink 8 glasses water and 1+ cup of tea daily.

* Copied from the Jan. 2000 issue of Prevention Magazine.

This is not necessarily a vegetarian diet. The guidelines summarized above are just that.
In interpreting the
guidelines.
Old 02-15-2002, 05:08 PM   #2  
Chick

Default Next week

I am going to be because you girls are going to be gone!!!!

But I'll be thinking about how you are to be on your vacations and I will be happy for you. I will want to hear all about it when you get back!

I am so glad it is the weekend, almost anyway. I thought I might have to work over the weekend but I got a lot done today and so I don't have to. Yippeee. I have mucho darkroom work to do to get ready for my show which opens April 2. I'll be a little insane until that is done, but it will be a great accomplishment for me.

Thanks for your reinforcement on my attitude about the "diet". It is ok, yes Alice I think I will get there, maybe 10 years from now, but better then than never. Right?

judi, your walks are sounding so good. I am so proud of you, I know you are really working hard right now and I am sure it is showing.
Old 02-16-2002, 09:53 AM   #3  

Angry It's the weekend!

A few weeks ago I ordered some walking tapes called Walk Away the Pounds. It consists of 3 tapes and 2-2lb. weighted balls. I got them yesterday and plan on starting them when I return from vacation. The person who made the tapes has a website where every week, for 12 weeks, she posts a walking schedule, telling you which tapes to use which day, with or without weights. I have been printing out the pages each week.

ledom~That's so exciting about your show. I wish I lived near you so that I could see it. I am so happy for you. I'm sure it will not take you 10 yrs. to lose your weight. In the meantime you are getting healthier by making better food choices and exercising.

judi~I hope that you are enjoying your weekend. Have you started to pack yet? I'm getting things ready to start packing.

Hi shebacat

Take care everyone
Old 02-17-2002, 12:31 PM   #4  

Default Good morning!

Those walking tapes sound so good Alice. I find those kind of things motivating.

I bet your show is going to be exciting Ledom.

It was just pouring rain so I didn't go for a walk yesterday and I missed it. The day before we had a great walk on the sea wall.
Today we are going to go out to a bird sanctuary and walk around, it is acres of land.

I find on the days I eat more carbs I am hungrier the NEXT day. Anyone else find that?

Hi Shebacat!
Old 02-17-2002, 01:27 PM   #5  

Angry Good afternoon!

We are supposed to get about 8" of snow later this afternoon and into tonight. DH has put the plow on his truck already.

judi~When I eat carbs they do not stay with me at all unless I have protein along with the carbs. If I have eggs and toast I am not hungry all morning. If I have cereal I am hungry within 2-3 hrs. What if you try to balance your carbs & protein, or cut back a little on your carbs and have more protein? From what I have read in some diet books it has something to do with insulin. The walk in the bird sanctuary sounds lovely. There is a park in FL that we occasionally go to that is a bird sanctuary with a lot of colorful flowers. It is a very tranquil setting. I love going there to walk a bit then sit on one of the many benches and take everything in.

ledom~You must be very busy in your darkroom. I hope your having a good Sunday. Do you also have tomorrow off?

Hello shebacat I am missing your posts.

Take care.
Old 02-17-2002, 01:31 PM   #6  
Chick

Default Good afternoon,

I would just LOVE it if you guys could come see my show. Too bad we are so far apart. judi, I have your address and will send you an invitation. Alice and Shebacat, if you want to send your addresses via the personal message system here at 3fc I'll add you to may mailing list. I don't have my invitations yet, but they will have one of the images from the show on it. I'm so pleased, I have had a very good and productive weekend in my darkroom. I have to reprint just a couple prints and I think it will be ready for framing. This week I will pick out frames and get started on that. Believe it or not, I am somewhat ahead of schedule. Knowing me it is pretty unbelieveable.

D and I have no food in the house. Yesterday we just made do and as a result ate poorly. We are going shopping this afternoon. I am not ready to do my big cooking in advance project but I am going to stock up on Amy's frozen food and salad stuff. I am gearing up for a big weight losing phase, I can feel it coming on. Many activities for the spring that I want to look my best for. My show, D's graduation and the attending activities surrounding that. Two seperate visits from the in-laws. An old flame has indicated plans to visit in late spring or early summer (I'll believe it when I see him.) I am ready to do a big ME ME ME marathon, diet, exercise, new hair. Just kind of get myself in good shape for everything. ALSO, I haven't been out in my kayak in a LONG time, it is time for a mental health paddle.

D drug me out for a hike this morning. Alice your tapes sound good, I have been curious about those weighted balls. judi, your walks sound fabulous. I'd love to see the places you talk about. On being hungrier after a big carb day. I am not sure about that, I have noticed the more I eat the hungrier I am. It is much better if I just follow the plan, I find it easier to get in the habit of sticking to it if I don't do little indulgences.

Alice and judi - happy packing.
Old 02-18-2002, 09:53 AM   #7  

Angry Good morning!

We did not get the snow they were predicting yesterday morning It stayed to the south of us.

We have decided to leave tomorrow afteroon because the weather may get nasty in our neck of the woods. I don't know if I will get a chance to post tomorrow morning or not. In case I don't, I just wanted to say good-bye. My IL's have a lap top and hopefully I will get a chance to post occasionally, plus we go to the library and use their computer sometimes.

ledom~You really sound determined to lose more weight. Way to go. I know you can do it. It must make you feel good being ahead of schedule. The weighted balls are very comfortable to hold. They are very soft so that you can squeeze them. That's good for me because I do have small hands and sometimes my fingers get sore trying to hold onto anything large.

judi~How was the bird sanctuary? It must've been a nice walk. Have a great trip and stay safe.

Hi Shebacat I hope everything is going well for you.

Take care everyone and have a good week.
Old 02-18-2002, 10:08 AM   #8  
Chick

Default Alice,

You have a FABULOUS trip. Be careful and enjoy yourself. This a.m. as I was driving to work I was thinking about you girls and about my own posting the next couple of weeks. Glad to hear that you will be checking in, I'll keep posting now I know I won't be posting to myself.

Once again, have fun!
Old 02-19-2002, 01:43 AM   #9  

Have a marvelous trip Alice, I hope the little miz nibs enjoys her self, is this her first big trip?

We are leaving on Thursday morning.

The walking has been great. Today I also saw "The Fellowship of the Ring", wow...what a good show.

I am going to look forward to my invitation, Ledom.

I will check in when I can on the trip, I will be away until March 24.

Good for you for gearing up for the big losing phase Ledom, I have been kind of slack with myself food wise, so I had better regear along with you.

Alice, yes, I too feel better when I eat some protein along with carbs for breakfast.

Ledom, keep us posted on the old flame
Old 02-19-2002, 04:49 PM   #10  
Chick

Default Hi judi,

You are going to be gone a LONG time. Well, have a great time and think of me in Santa Fe. It is such a great place. Hope you get to shop there.

All is well here. Work is going good. I have had a couple good food and exercise days. I am eating out with my girlfriends tonight, we are having Mexican food. I will be conservative in my ordering and skip my bedtime snack.

I am addicted to the skating events on the olympics. Women's figure skating is my favorite and it starts tonigt. I am enjoying it, but am ready for it to be over because I have been watching way too much TV.

I'll touch base tomorrow.
Old 02-20-2002, 10:20 AM   #11  
Chick

Default judi,

I bet you are busy packing today.

I got up and did my ab workout this morning, I really didn't want to but I pushed myself through it. I stayed up too late watching TV last night.

I am having a good PMD week so far. I had a real slump with it last week, but I think I am back in the saddle again.

Guess what? I ordered a new computer for home this week. We are so excited that we'll have a home computer that won't be so slow. I dread getting it all set up, but a coworker has offered to help so maybe it won't be too bad.

I hope to finish my darkroom work for my show tomorrow and also to order my frames. I feel so pleased to be at this point. When I have done all I can I have to clean my house, which I have been neglecting. I am also due for some good long kayaking trips. I am starting to miss that a lot.

Oh, the strangest thing. Yesterday when on my morning power walk I slowed down enough to actually look this other lady that I sometimes see in the mornings in the face. We went through jr. high and high school together, she has lived 3 houses down from me for 6 years and yesterday we recognized each other! I guess that tells you what tunnel vision I have. But we had a great visit. I am still stunned by it.

Well, you traveling girls. Touch base when you can. Shebacat, log on and keep me company, or any other folks that check in with us here.
Old 02-20-2002, 02:52 PM   #12  

Default Goodmorning Ledom

Hi!

That is interesting about you living so close to someone you used to know and didn't know it, the world is indeed a small place.

I am supposed to weigh this week...I can't do it, I know it will be bad...I don't want it to defeat me. I will wait until next Tuesday. Too much cheese, wine and bread. I found a smoked, apple cheddar cheese from England. It is AMAZING! Also look around for a bottle of Wolf Blass Chardonnay (if you like oak), you will thank me.

I hope to be able to email from the road but I tried on another computer and my password isn't accepted???? So it you see "Marley" come up or something strange on this thread it will be me Judi.

A new computer, that is exciting. I know what you mean about the set up phase though. Even getting something new put on, I am apprehensive about the other things being messed with. I am in the process of having a new CD burning rom installed, it was supposed to be workable last night but it still isn't.

I plan to take a lot of pictures on this trip. I am going to do black and white, because color will be minimal this time of year. I want to have something to print myself as well. When my guest returns I am going to show him how to print. I am feeling a real pull back to do some photography again. I wish I could see one of your show.

Better go and gather some stuff together.

Best wishes for the upcoming days to you all!

love Judi
Old 02-20-2002, 05:18 PM   #13  
Chick

Default Judi,

Good to hear you are going to be taking your camera. That light in N.M. is SO bright. I haven't photographed there but I would love to. Early morning, late evening would be the time to do it I think.

I think I'll be able to post some of my images on the University web site so I'll let you know where to look when I get some images up.

Have fun. Be safe.

Alice, are you in Florida yet?
Old 02-21-2002, 02:26 AM   #14  

Good to hear about the light, I am taking 125 Ilford and 400 Ilford (Delta). I am also taking some color but I don't think there will be much to photograph in color until NM, the earth and the sky will be good. It would be great if you can put some of your images up, I would love to see them!!

We hope to be in San Fran. for the weekend.

Have a good week diet and exercise wise and I plan to give it my best shot as well.
Old 02-23-2002, 09:40 AM   #15  

Angry Greetings from not so sunny FL!!

We made it to FL in one piece, Lacee did too As soon as we hit FL we hit rain and had heavy rain all the way down the state of Florida.

My eating went by the wayside. It's hard to eat healthy while on the road. I did cook some chicken, and we cut up some cheese and we did have that for lunches. Hopefully the rain will end later today and we'll be able to start walking.

ledom~A new computer...that's fantastic! I hope that you get a lot of enjoyment out of it. I know what it's like to find out someone has lived close by and not know it. A GF I hadn't seen in 36 yrs. came to my Dad's wake and we found out that we have been living about 1 hr. or so apart for the past 20 yrs. It is weird when you think about it. How did your PMDing go this week?

judi~I hope that you are having a wonderful trip. Are you in CA yet? Hope to hear from you "on the road" Stay safe.

My IL's computer is so old that it is s-l-o-w- . We are able to use the library computer so I will post again the next time we are here. Ledom, if you start another thread, please let me know via this thread. Thanks.

Hello shebacat

Take care and have a great weekend.
Closed Thread