General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2002, 06:13 PM   #1  

Question Zone Comments?

I've been researching varous low and light carb diets and am considering trying the Zone as a guideline for cutting down on carbs - (but not as drastically as Atkins, CAD). I have done WW before with great sucess but I just got tired of obsessing over every little point.

Any comments about The Zone? Success Stories? Pro? Cons?
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-10-2002, 02:15 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 168

Default Zone

We used to have a pretty strong Zone thread going here but it has died down the past six months or so. A few years ago after turning 40, I had about 15 pounds to lose. Tried Atkins and the lack of carbs just made me weak and light headed. Lost 7 pounds in less that two weeks but gained it back very quickly because it was just water weight. Tried the zone and lost 12 pounds over about a six month period. Kept the weight off for a few years but it slowly found it way back! Have been futzing with the Zone for almost two years now but not following it in detail. I will be signing up for WW as some of the posters on our Zone thread had great success with combining the concepts. I'm not super overweight but I don't want to grow into a larger size. Perhaps some of the old Zone posters will come back if they see there is some interest again. I think it is a great plan but I just haven't been dedicated enough to show results.

Ann
Old 03-01-2002, 08:55 PM   #3  

I have been reading about the Zone but don't know if I can do it without "support". It is confusing to me to use the blocks but I think I understand counting grams.

Susie have you been doing the Zone? Any success?

I need more protein in my life and want to use this as a guide. I certainly could use the energy they say you can get from this way of eating.
Old 03-02-2002, 12:53 AM   #4  

Default on the zone

My doctor put me on the zone diet along with phentermine & xenical to help me stay on it. I don't follow it exactly. Instead of 40-30-30, I try to eat the same grams of carbs and protein then half that of fats at each meal, not exceeding 30-40 grams. I like balance bars, especially the gold and outdoor ones. They're 40-30-30 and tastier than Zone bars. I usually eat one for breakfast, then sometimes the gold for a snack - it's almost like a snickers. I was doing really well for close to two months, but haven't taken the meds consistently and find myself cheating a little, but not too much. I've lost about 20 pounds in two months. I feel it's a pretty healthy diet since I eat well balanced meals. For carb intake, I pretty much stay away from pasta, rice, bread, potatos and starchy vegetables. I eat those things moderately. It's not easy and sadly to say I don't think I could stick to it without an appetite suppresant. By I'm desperate to lose weight right now and finally gave up on trying to do it on my own.
Old 03-06-2002, 12:58 PM   #5  

Default Zone Help

Lucklady bug: There are some great web-sites regarding the zone diet. Many give recipes or list the frozen food entrees that best meet the zone requirements.

Vita: Wow you have done great on the zone. I agree with you the gold balance bars are excellent. Still enjoy the crispy choc. raspberry bars that the zone buts out though.

I have yet to get signed up for Weight Watchers even though there is one close to my house. Trying to wean myself off the carbs again which is hard since our house is filled with Girl Scout cookies.

I am at 165 right now and wish to drop down to 145. These twenty pounds seem to be very very tough ones to take off so I realize that my eating habits have to change. Any other Zone folks out there?

Last edited by Ann W; 03-06-2002 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-07-2002, 08:00 AM   #6  

vita446 You are doing great. Congratulations.

Ann I just have to find the time to surf. Once I get the hang of it, it probably won't be so bad. The recipes in the Zone books didn't appeal at all to me. I know I wouldn't stick with it using them.

I have found having protein at breakfast has helped me tremendously.
Old 03-07-2002, 09:48 AM   #7  

Post Back to the Zone?

About 5 years ago I did the Zone, and lost a considerable amount of weight. I was working out with a personal trainer at the same time, and really got toned. I was in the best shape of my life.

I tried it 3 years ago for my wedding and found it difficult. Although, I don't know if I was trying all of that hard.

I would like to start it up again, especially if there is a group of us talking. Anyone interested?
Old 03-07-2002, 06:02 PM   #8  

I would be interested in a thread. I sure feel better since adding more protein to my diet.

The Zone does confuse me so you have "fair warning" I will ask a lot of questions.
Old 03-08-2002, 09:29 AM   #9  

Lucky LadyBug

I bought some food last night and am starting to zone again today.

I had veggie sausage and a breakfast burrito for breakfast. I have tuna and fruit for lunch, and cottage cheese with a fruit cup for a snack. Dinner will be fish and broccoli.

Wish me luck on day 1. My weight: 183.5.
Old 03-11-2002, 01:49 AM   #10  

I also went out today and bought several Balance and Zone bars at Trader Joes. Always do my main shopping on Monday so will pick up some additional Zone favorable foods.

A great cookbook that will add some variety is an older one (mine is 10 years old) by Better Homes and Gardens called the New Dieters Cookbook. It has beautiful pictures and gives a nutritional breakdown of each recipe - carbs, protein, fat etc. along with prep time and cooking time. I have found several tastey recipes that are either zone favorable or easily modified. I have seen it in 2nd hand bookstores and you might be able to get it cheap on the internet. I haven't used the zone cookbook often though their is a good salmon with cucumber yogurt sause and a good scallop recipe.

I also need to start moving my body more! My neighborhood is great for walking - just have to start getting out. Belong to both a tennis club/health club by home and another health club by my office. They make great money off of me since I haven't been to either in six months or so. I just pay the bills!

Good luck to everyone. I am down to 163 so my goal for this week is to squeeze under 160
Old 03-17-2002, 02:31 PM   #11  
Tia

Hey

My daughter and I will be shopping today for zone food. We are going to try together. My daughter doesn't need to lose weight, but is hungry all the time and hopes the zone will help her lose her craving. I, on the other hand need to lose alot.

I'm hoping to get some good recipes. I saw a zone cookbook at Barnes and Noble last night. But it was $23, and I don't want to invest untill we see if we like this way of eating. We are committing to 2 weeks.

I am looking forward to losing my cravings, but am worried about being hungry at work.

I was glad to see a zone thread starting up again. Do you all have a weigh day? Will check in soon.

Tia
Old 03-17-2002, 07:59 PM   #12  

Have fun shopping Tia. I am in the same situation as your daughter - I just always seem to be hungry. Having a ton of Girl Scout cookies arounds has also been a problem - always seem to be munching on one. If there is a Trader Joes in your area you should stop by as they have the best selection of Zone and Balance bars. I just tried a new Zone bar called Fudge Grahm - one of the best that I have ever tasted.

Once you are in the zone the cravings tend to go away, however, I am having the toughest time getting there. The carbs just keep calling me.

I usually weigh myself on Friday morning.

Happy Zoning
Ann W
Old 03-18-2002, 12:16 PM   #13  

Hi! Does anyone know the addresses for the zone web sites? I am a personal chef and will be seeing a new client tomorrow who wants to follow the Zone diet. I'd like to do a little reading up before visiting her.

Thanks in advance for any information you might share -
Old 03-18-2002, 03:14 PM   #14  

Default Zone info

I bought all my Zone books through eBay -- spent a total of $35 for five books. I think zoneperfect.com is the official Zone website.

The Zone's a little confusing for me, too -- I work two jobs and am training to walk a marathon, so I'm a little adrift in finding the time to get the hang of new recipes and cook and shop in new ways. But in two weeks of giving this a try, I've lost a pants size, and I do feel much more energetic.

*fingers crossed* Hope I can do this right!

I have been having trouble with cravings, too. A psychologist friend of mine told me the other day that "cravings" last about four minutes. So far, I guess she's right ... though sometimes four minutes seems like an AWFULLY long time!

Probably one of the cool things about being a personal chef for someone on the Zone is that you can double up on what you make and have your own meals ready, too?

Last edited by Venus Envy; 03-18-2002 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-18-2002, 03:15 PM   #15  

Thanks! I'll check out that web site right now!
Closed Thread