General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 01:59 PM   #1  
ugggg.....

Default RANT-Litterbugs....

I think we have had one of these threads before but I am so grossed out, about once a month I go down and pick up, soda/beer cans/bottles, cigarette butts, food trash etc...today I had to actually pick up three used condoms and a used tampon.......I wear double disposable gloves and actually used a plastic bag to pick up the offending items but was still so grossed out I just bleached my hands!!!
Old 08-27-2006, 02:27 PM   #2  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

I hear you. We live in a beautiful rural area and some people seem to think "hmm - good place to dump some trash" which can consist of full trashbags, fast food wrappers and sofas. I used to go up and down our street picking stuff up till my back started acting up. It's not quite so bad now that our road has been 'adopted' but we still get the occasional thoughtless jerk who throws their trash out of their car, spoiling our lovely neighborhood.

I'd like to see stiffer penalties (maybe life imprisonment? ) but I doubt that will happen.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:58 PM   #3  
ugggg.....

I'd be satisfied with them having to spend weekends picking up trash for about 10 years......
Old 08-28-2006, 01:03 PM   #4  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

That is disgusting Jules and I am sorry people are such dummies.

I think that is my biggest pet peeve...people throwing their trash anywhere, and cigarette butts. A big thing when I lived in the country, and even now...is fast food trash. Once in a while a diaper. They just throw it out in the middle of the street a whole bag of trash. Of course by our mailbox now you will see beer and soda cans...glad I don't live on that corner. I just think it is sad how disrespectful people are.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:42 PM   #5  

Each week before mowing the yard we have to pick up out at the road so we don't hit something with the mower and send it through a window, or worse a person! Dh has always grumbled that he wouldn't mind picking up the beer bottles so much if they would throw an unopened one with it.

I get mad at seeing people dumping their ashtrays beside their car in public parking lots or just setting the cup out on the ground before they back out of a parking space. It's just pure laziness and nastiness!
Old 08-28-2006, 08:39 PM   #6  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

gah I so know what you mean. I was a girl scout for a few years and we use to always go around and pick up trash at the sides of the roads. And it seems so stupid to throw away a bottle or can when you can recycle it for cash money. I earned $50 in plastic bottles and cans in one day that way @_@.

Throwing cigarette butts on the road is a major No-no in this area. It's so dry that one little spark and the whole road side will go up like a matchbox. Many wild fires around here are started that way.

But what I really really really can't stand is when people dump thier soda or old coffie in the parking spaces of stores. Gah I hate that soooo much! How hard is it to walk 20 feet to the trash can?!
Old 08-29-2006, 06:04 PM   #7  
mom2cole

My pet peeve is people who let there dogs crap and urinate in my lawn. I DON'T OWN A DOG JUST BECAUSE I CAN'T STAND CLEANING UP CRAP!!!
It just really bugs me because I don't go and crap in a neighbors yard while I am out on my walk, so don't let your dog do it on my yard. I am so close to buying a motion sensored sprinkler that hoses anything down that gets within range of it!!!. Maybe on a weekend morning I might go and hide behind my fence with my hose on pressure wash and give anyone a bath who stops to poop!!! That might be fun!!
Old 08-29-2006, 06:20 PM   #8  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

Height: 5'7"

Or do what we used to do as kids -- collect some fresh dog poop and put it in a paper bag. Go to the offending person's house, put the front bag on the door step (MAKE SURE THIS IS A CONCRETE PORCH), light the bag on fire, and ring the bell. The person will come to the door, see the flaming bag, and stomp on it to put it out.
And much fun was had by all...
Old 08-29-2006, 08:00 PM   #9  

Talking of dog poop!!! yuck!!!!! I see that all the day: day or night in front of our patio! I do not have any dogs and do not want to pick that trash up..just cant do that! and I am so frustrated just dont know what to do!!!!?!!!

someone even threw a pack of cigarettes in our patio from upstairs. We do not smolke either and even touching that thing is utterly disgusting for us! I also had to wear gloves and plastic bag to pick that thing up and throw it in the disposal.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:04 PM   #10  
mom2cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by freiamaya View Post
Or do what we used to do as kids -- collect some fresh dog poop and put it in a paper bag. Go to the offending person's house, put the front bag on the door step (MAKE SURE THIS IS A CONCRETE PORCH), light the bag on fire, and ring the bell. The person will come to the door, see the flaming bag, and stomp on it to put it out.
And much fun was had by all...
Oh, boy I would love to do this, but I would have to follow everybody home to figure out who is doing this. It is not one of my close neighbors because they don't have any dogs. I did turn in my neighbors to the city since their house was such a dump, garbage everywhere and they had 72 hours to haul it all away. It was pretty funny to watch them try and remove dead cars, engines, garbage, ect... away so they wouldn't get cited. They are looking dumpy again guess it is time to complain again.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:30 PM   #11  
Calorie-Counting Diva

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakai View Post
But what I really really really can't stand is when people dump thier soda or old coffie in the parking spaces of stores. Gah I hate that soooo much! How hard is it to walk 20 feet to the trash can?!
I'm an offender here. I'll dump out my soda, normally if there are no trash cans around. I figure it's better to do it in the middle of a parking space than in the middle of, say, the sidewalk.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:02 AM   #12  
Proud Army Mom!

S/C/G: 202/185/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakai View Post
There aren't always gabage cans within 20 feet or around at all, and with only one cup holder in the car, sometimes it just has to be done. The alternative is to just leave the can sitting in the parking lot, but that's blatent litering. Soda and coffee will dry up and/or evaporate. Cans hang around till some poor soul picks them up. pouring out the liquid, putting the empty can in my car till i can get to a trash bin, to me, is the lesser of two evils.

while we're on grossed out pet peeves, I have one that just came up at work today. In our ladies room there are like 8 stalls (huge building with hundreds of people). I'm in the stall, there is some one in another stall. I hear this person flush, leave the stall and walk straight out the door without washing their hands. I was mid-zip at the time and was dressed, so I ran out of my stall, opened the door and peeked out just to see who it was. I want to know these things!! we have parties and retirement functions all the time where people bring pot-luck food. I dont want their food!! lol I tend to be a germaphobe, so these kinds of things really freak me out.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:38 PM   #13  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Okay, those are two more pet peeves I have, lol. It really is terrible that people don't clean up after their dogs. I have picked up so much poop it is nothing to me, it is my dog after all. But picking up after someone else's ummm, no thank you. I walk at a park a lot and it kills me to see all the dog poop there. Not just in the grass but on the sidewalk too! I too take my dog to the park to walk but I ALWAYS take a plastic bag and pick up after him...it's really not that hard to do. No worse than changing a baby's diaper.

I too think it terrible that people don't wash their hands after going to the bathroom, ick. Especially if they are handling food.

I've dumped my soda out too but I pour it under the car so that the next person who pulls in doesn't step in it. And they won't if they park in the middle of the space. But I always have a grocery bag in my car (actually hanging from a water bottle in the back on the floor) for trash. And speaking of parking lots...what about people who spit their gum out? UGH! I don't know how many times I have driven over and stepped in gum because there it is...on the hot pavement all soft just waiting for someone to step on.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:14 PM   #14  
hara hachi bu

I live in a lower-middle-class suburb, right next to a commercial area. My yard collects papers from the school next door, newspapers, clothing items, millions of fast-food items, beer bottles, etc. When I go for a walk, I walk along the busy street and pick up all the garbage along the way. I've even thought of buying one of those garbage grabbers from the hardware store!

I recently visted a friend who lives in a small town adjacent to one of the most beautiful areas in the US that I've ever seen. I saw so many people littering ... tossing their cig butts out the window, casually dropping wrappers on the ground, you name it. I was so surprised to see them having such a beautiful surrounding and not even thinking for a second about respecting that environment.
Closed Thread