General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 02:09 AM   #1  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

Default Venting.. oiy

gah, I just wish there was a place in this world were everything was perfect and nothing bad happened and being big dosn't make you any different than the others.

I Soooo need a job.. Being almost 22 and never having a job, I feel so worthless. I'm just so afraid of messing something up.. or being so clueless in my job that I ask a million questions. I think I'm afraid of responsibility because it a bigger chance of me failling in something.

I guess I'm a bit afraid of growing up. I don't want to be a slave to my job like I see everyone else is. But I'm tired of being dependent.. I'm tired of not having what I need ( and want ) I'm tired of not being married @_@. I'm sick and tired of everyone getting on my back about getting a job and I tired of feeling worthless.

But I feel so afraid... I really get sick to my stomach just asking for a aplication. I'm afraid of being the burden... the new girl...I don't want to mess something up. I'm guessing it's because i never thought myself well, so I tried to be the perfect person... a quiet, smart child that turned into this. A nervious, eager to please adult. I feel so out of my element thinking about a job. I feel safe at home.. safe at school.. I know what I need to do to please everyone... i've been in this home for 22 years.. been in school for 16 years. a job feels so new.

Everyone just tells me to just get a job and it will all be okay. I feel like I have no support. Arg!
*pouts*
Old 07-20-2006, 02:31 AM   #2  
FishGirl

What did you go to school for? Did you major in a particular area of study? What do you see yourself doing 20 years from now? What are your interests? Nothing compares to the feeling of picking up a paycheck and depositing it in the bank and then doing whatever you would like to do with that money because it is all yours. In the meantime, start asking around. Do your parents, friends, neighbors know anyone who is hiring? I started working for a friends mom right after high school at her beauty salon and that opened up a whole world of makeup artistry and freelance availabilities that I never even thought i would be doing. And you are only the new girl for a little while. Which can be pretty cool because no one expects you to know everything when you are the new girl becuase, well, you are the new girl! So go get your independance! Work=money=freedom. Good Luck!
Old 07-20-2006, 10:46 AM   #3  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Well, you have to get out there and work sometime, girl!!! Don't worry, I am quite sure that you are capable of handling a job and earning independence......but the first step to conquering the big, bad world is to get both feet out your front door....................................
Old 07-20-2006, 10:50 AM   #4  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Charlotte's right.....you just gotta do it....

You'll be AMAZED at how empowered you feel once you receive your first paycheck with the satisfaction that YOU, and no one else, EARNED it!!

Kind of like getting healthy, isn't it?
Old 07-20-2006, 11:22 AM   #5  
hara hachi bu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF Fish
Work=money=freedom.
And freedom=choices!

Maybe you could start by going to a temp service. That would be less intimidating, not a full-on 40-hour-a-week commitment unless you want it to be, and it would give you plenty of opportunities to explore a variety of companies and work to see what type of environment you like best.

Your concerns sound very valid and normal. (hugs) It'll get better.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:39 AM   #6  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

Sakai,

I was a staff development coordinator for a few years. Basically I was responsible for hiring and training hundreds of nurses, CNAs and other employees. I can tell that you WILL be a very good employee. I was ALWAYS impressed by new employees who cared enough to try to do a good job---which you definitely seem to care. AND employees who actually ask questions. Asking questions is a very good indicator of potential success, imo.

You are someone who is smart and a people-pleaser.....according to how I interpret your post. Both of these will make you an excellent employee!

Plus, I think you will be surprised at how much you actually LIKE working! I've always prided myself on doing an excellent job, regardless of what I am doing. It has paid off in many ways. I started off part-time in a convenience store at the age of 17 ( I wouldn't really recommend this at all for safety reasons).
I was a district manager by the age of 19 which gave me the money and opportunities to develop a better career.

You too can do this and MORE!

Good luck!
Old 07-20-2006, 11:50 AM   #7  
Spanish Eyes

S/C/G: 338/318/180

I know how you feel. I was in a similiar situation for a long time and I didn't get my first job until I was 21. I am 23 now and have been working at the same place for 2.5 years. Do you know anyone that can help you get a job or a friend that you could apply to work with, etc.? I think that makes it A LOT easier. Also, what the person above me said is right, the fact that you are worried about how you will do and want to do a good job is a huge indicator that you will be a great employee. Unfortunately, a lot of people just don't care. Anyway, I just wanted to offer some support. I think you will probably feel 100 times better when you do start to work. I'll be honest, I hated it for awhile (and there are days I still do), but I don't think I could ever go back to not working! Good luck. If you ever want to chat or need to vent, my AIM is Stephie x AZ.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:53 AM   #8  
Miles

S/C/G: 176/168/135

Height: 5'4"

Sakai

In some ways I know *exactly* how you feel. After I graduated high school I tried to get my first job (just something part-time while in college). Going places to get apps and applying and working on my resume did the same as for you, it just made me sick to my stomach! I was so shy, especially when it came to getting a job. I searched for a long time, it seemed impossible. My first job was actually a student job through my college at a place my sister had worked before (only for about 3 months). She emailed her old boss and asked if they were hiring, and a month or so after that I started working there, and worked there for the 3 years I went to college.

After being there about 3-4 months, it all kicked in and was natural. Finding another full time job after that was much "easier." Now, I really do enjoy working. Okay, not all the time, but it's something that has come to define me in some ways and gives me pride. A lot of people's first job was gained through a friend, a family member, or someone they knew. Networking is the best way to get your first job. Have any friends working somewhere that can ask about openings? It may not be the job you want but after you start it will be easier to get into the swing of things and find your own job. Good luck with it, I know exactly how terrifying it is the first time around.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:27 PM   #9  

I guess my advice to you is to bite the bullet and go out and try to get a job. If you want to work in retail, find a place that you like to shop at, and apply there. That way it will be easier for you to go to work.

As for your comment about not being married? Lots of time for that... you're 22! Haha i'm 25 and not married, and no skin off of my back.

Try not to worry. Yup working sucks sometimes... but it can also be alot of fun! And not to mention the income is pretty nice too!
Old 07-20-2006, 11:16 PM   #10  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

Hey everyone ^_^
I had a major talk about this very thing last night with my DB. It dosn't seem like such a bad idea... and we just got a 24 hour store (wal-mart @_@ ) And I'm a major night owl so I'm think of appying for the graveyard shift. ^_^
I had a job for about 2 weeks in the college till something came up that I wasn't suppose to be working there, only the students on goverment aid could work there.. hehe so I had to leave.. and I didn't even get paid for the 2 weeks I worked.
Anyways... I'm going to go down there and apply next week so cross your figers. I was also thinking of working at a craft store, a good friend of the family owns it, and I all but live at that store ( I'm so crafty ^_^ ) I could always ask her if she needs some help around the place. maybe she'll give me a job, if the wall-mart thing dosn't really work out.

as for the schooling. I'm working for my English Major, I'm a writer and it's what I do for most of my free time. I have major math issues and it's the only thing that is holding me back from my degree. I've had some help for it and I hope to get past the 3 levels of math I need @_@.

I never eally thought that asking questions was a good thing. But now that I think about it in the way y'all say it... I guess it is lol ^_^
Old 07-20-2006, 11:42 PM   #11  
Spanish Eyes

S/C/G: 338/318/180

Good luck with the job hunting! Wal-Mart and the craft store both sound like great ideas. My fingers are definitely crossed for you. Let us know!
Old 07-20-2006, 11:49 PM   #12  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Sakai,

I can relate. Although I started working earlier than you, I went through a period where I was terrified to get out there in the working world again. I don't know why or anything like that. I just know how scary it is and how you so want to do it but something keeps holding you back.

So one day I decided I was tired of it. Tired of being stuck inside the house and wanted to make my own money and help my husband with paying the bills. He told me about them hiring at his work and so I sent in my resume', I beleive it was the very next day I was called for an interview and by the time I got home, I received a phone call offering me the job! I started the next day or the day after and it all happened so fast that I didn't even have time to think about it and for me, that was a very good thing!

Now almost 8 months later, I am still working there and where there are things that do get on my nerves, that is with almost any job out there! But I feel a lot better about myself and its nice having the extra income too!

So as hard as it is, I know, the best thing is to just "jump right in", get your feet wet and you may just find out what you've been missing! Also meeting new people is always good too. I work nights as well, as I'm a "Vampire" (what my friend calls us nightshift people) lol. Nights are a lot different than days, usually. Usually not as busy, not as many bosses around, so that should help with your nervousness.

PM me if you ever want to chat!

and you can do this!
Old 07-25-2006, 08:49 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 180/154/140

Height: 5'7

I'll second what everyone else says, go do it!!!! I'm a shy person, but my favorite job was waitressing! Being in the customer service business can really bring you out!

I'll also second the Walmart thing...hehe. I haven't worked in about 5 years and was so tired of sitting around the house, so I applied at Walmart for night shift and I'm loving it! I've been very lucky that I haven't HAD to work, but I buy groceries now, and that feels great!

Groceries eat up more than half of my paycheck, but this way I know that I'm helping out alot with the family expenses because hubby puts up what he'd normally give me for food in a savings account, or makes an extra payment on my car....so even though I don't HAVE to work, I feel much better about myself knowing that I AM working and for more than chump change!

I know how you feel with the nervousness though. Chances are you'll take right to any job. If you try the Walmart thing you'll laugh at yourself after a week or so about being nervous, it's so danged easy! Heck, you could be management material! Never know till you figure out what's for you!

You might like the feeling of working. I do. I love being tired after working a full shift! I know that's money in my pocket, and I've done a JOB for someone outside of my 3 kids and husband....a job that was noticed!

Good luck!

Kim
Old 07-30-2006, 10:53 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 236/207/175

Height: 6ft

I work in a pharmacy .. and i have been for 4 years ... but i still ask questions .. sometimes i wonder if to much but i usually tend to refer to it as *consulting with my pharmacist* it sounds so much better .. laughs .. but in my line ya can't screw up .. my son got his first real job in the last year ..and he had the same feelings .. he didn't want to ask questions and look stupid or incompetent .. i told him the only time you will look incompetent is when you do something that you have no idea how to do cause ya didn't ask how to do it!! your prospective employers don't want someone comin in thinkin they know everything about everything ..they expect you to ask and learn and to be trained .. it is something they do daily ... that is one of the big parts of their jobs .. so take deep breaths and realize that no one knows everything about everything and everyone has to learn it at some point ..
you ask ya teachers at school questions? same concept ..they are teaching/training you ... same as a work place would
Old 08-01-2006, 08:48 AM   #15  
CURVY VIXEN

S/C/G: 205/194/128

Height: 5'2''

hi
I can relate.... I am 42 and just started a new job 10 months ago, believe me at any age it isn't easy. I hate feeling like the new 'kid' on the block.. everyone seems to know everyone and I felt left out.
You just have to plunge in, you might be surprised as to finding many close friends in the work place.
Closed Thread