General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 09:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 150/148/120

Height: 5'2"

Default Period question

Happy Easter everyone!

I just have a question regarding my period. This past week I've been running every day. Yesterday I got my period. I had cramps, so I took an Ibuprophen. Then a couple hours later I went running. The rest of the evening and even today I don't even feel like I have my period anymore! It's lighter than normal, and no cramps. It doesn't even smell like my normal periods (sorry if TMI). This is NOT normal for me...It's usually pretty heavy with pretty bad cramps....I usually have to take Ibuprophen every 6 hours every day of my period so I don't get cramps. Is there something wrong with me? Is this normal after you start exercising? I'm a little worried. Pregnancy could be a possibility, but I highly doubt it cuz I did take a test (negative), protection was used, and the flow of my period is still pretty ongoing. I also had all the PMS symptoms, and it was on-time. It's just a little lighter than normal. Anyone know what the heck is up?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by LaBonita; 04-16-2006 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:27 AM   #2  
Tired of lettuce!

Height: 6 flippin' feet tall!

Exercising can definitely reduce cramps and lessen flow. Back when I rode my bike 20 miles a day, no cramps, very light cycles. My ob/gyn says it's totally normal!
Old 04-16-2006, 11:48 AM   #3  

Okay great! Well there's another great thing about exercise then
Old 04-16-2006, 02:31 PM   #4  

Call me old fashioned, but I think any change should be checked out by your doctor. It's probably just your body reacting to the exercise, but I still think it wouldn't hurt to go and have a chat.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:48 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 203/146/150

Low carb diets seem to make TOM more manageable, too.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:47 PM   #6  
Want them Muscles!

S/C/G: 135/129/120

its probably the exercise that is doing it. I would wait to see if the same thing happens next month. Maybe call your doctor and tell them the situation see what they recommend...I bet though you body is just adjusting to the running....
Old 04-16-2006, 10:26 PM   #7  
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

I know that I was told to do alot of walking or exercise when I used to get TOM, exercise is great for reducing cramps.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:15 PM   #8  
Addicted to potato salad!

Having a baby made my cramps go away. For good. It's like my uterus and I have a pact...don't give me cramps and I won't stretch you to the ends of the universe again!!

BUT...back in my day, I used to have horrendous cramps and walking or exercising always, always helped. Now, I have some months that are heavy and a little crampy (not like before motherhood, just slight touchiness) and some that are really whimpy...no cramps whatsoever and very light flow.

Good luck...I wouldn't worry, but if you have good insurance, by all means check it out with your doctor...or sometimes you can just call the office and talk to a nurse and she'll reassure you if your really worried. And it's free
Old 04-17-2006, 07:23 PM   #9  
with my mind on my monkey

Check with your gynecologist on this one - I experienced the same thing when I first joined a gym. My periods got lighter and less significant, then stopped altogether. I haven't had one in a year and have to start taking meds for it
Old 04-18-2006, 12:08 PM   #10  

Thanks for the advice everyone. Just an update...it started to get heavy like 5 hours after I posted, just like a normal period. LOL. I just tend to freak out (hypochondriac). But you're right...running has really helped reduce my cramps this period...they're still there, but not as bad!
Old 04-18-2006, 01:37 PM   #11  
Jaded Lady & Mom of 2

S/C/G: 242/242/160

Height: 5'6"

Mine was 5 days early! I did a post on here for it. I blame it all on healthy eating and all the exercise. Funny how it was "gone" by Friday night. Well here it is Tues and it's back which would be about normal. There are no cramps & no headaches & really light (yeeha), I will take it (like we have a choice right?)
Old 04-18-2006, 01:53 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafe Ole
Mine was 5 days early! I did a post on here for it. I blame it all on healthy eating and all the exercise. Funny how it was "gone" by Friday night. Well here it is Tues and it's back which would be about normal. There are no cramps & no headaches & really light (yeeha), I will take it (like we have a choice right?)
That's exactly what I thought....i'm not about to complain about a light period with minimal cramping! LOL
Closed Thread