General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 07:38 PM   #31  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

The size 14 in a Lane Bryant stores IS a plus size. A size 14W is not cut the same as a regular 14 Misses--it is cut larger, usually in the chest, hips, and thighs. Someone who wears a 14W will likely wear a 16 or even 18 in Misses sizes (depending on cut, brand, style, etc.). I know this not only from my own experience, but also from my sister, who typically wears an 18 in "regular" sizes, but a 14 or 16 in women's sizes. Of course, depending on your build and proportions, this may not be the case, but in general, it is.

LB stores and catalog DEFINITELY are not affiliated--and thank goodness for that! My mother used to get the catalog, and I could NEVER find anything in there for me since I'm so young, but in the stores, I can usually find things I like. Not that I can usually afford it, but that's a whole different story

I do find it annoying, though, that even in the LB stores, while their manequins are still slightly larger than regular manequins at other stores, they still aren't real plus sizes. If you've ever noticed the back of one of those manequins, all the clothes are usually pulled tighter and pinned in order to fit the manequins properly. However, I DO like that when I shop in LB stores, the associates there are generally not a size 2, so I do feel more comfortable than I do in, say, Deb Plus, where these skinny little teeny boppers are scanning the prices of my items as if they are tainted with some sort of disease
Old 05-01-2006, 01:08 AM   #32  
resident lactivist

Quote:
What is Torrid? Not heard of that one.
They've got a website. Not sure if it's kosher to link it, since I know they don't advertise here, but their website's the obvious one. It's sort of a plus-size Hot Topic, with the caveat that their "plus" starts at 12. So it's a good source for rockabilly/gothabilly/mall goth stuff.

Due, I assume, to some good cookies somewhere on my computer, banner ads for Lane Bryant's website follow me around wherever I go on the 'Net. They seem to have some nice stuff online, but I keep stumbling across $300 jeans.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:29 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I actually like Torrid. Not all of their stuff obviously. I'm not really looking to buy a lace up corset top. However they have nice skirts, dresses, capris, and some tops. And they always have a huge clearance rack. What I like is since there clothes are meant for juniors they assume smaller boobs than regular plus-sized (yes, I'm in the same boat as you Jillybean!).
Old 05-02-2006, 01:43 AM   #34  

I agree with all above complaints of LB- including no continuity of size. You can't say- Oh, I bought a size 22 jean in this style before, liked it, I'l go pick up another pair. That next pair will be too big or too small. So you must try on pair after pair- in the same day, same store. Ugh- it has improved, but not that much. And thier new designer stuff? Seven or whatever? Ummnn, not worth the $$. Cute- not on people though. Jeans have horrible fit.

BUT- can anyone explain what a 1/2 size is? I have heard that from many of my patients- most older women, but also have seen it on a store window i.e. 'we carry half sizes'. Haven't been able to find out this info.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:36 AM   #35  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Just this past weekend, I was out to lunch with some (older) ladies from my TOPS group, and they were mentioning half sizes--what perfect timing! My understanding is that half sizes used to basically be women's petite sizes. A lot of places now offer "plus petite" styles, but I guess they used to just be called by half sizes (so I guess if you were shorter-waisted, you would wear a 20 1/2 instead of a 20). At least, that is my understanding based on what they said.

Stacy--YES! I hate going to LB and buying the tops where the fabric overlaps in a criss-cross type pattern across the chest (as seems to have become a very popular style last year and this year), and it just SAGS on me because I don't have enough to hold it up
Closed Thread