General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-17-2013, 07:59 PM   #31  
Knocking down walls.

S/C/G: 278/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

The ways that male counselors deal with clients probably varies as much as the way that female counselors deal with clients. Not all men are the same, and not all male counselors will have the same personality or philosophy of treatment. I don't think I've ever had a male counselor, but I have had male psychiatrists. Their personalities and abilities varied widely. If it's any comfort to you, the most empathetic (not sympathetic, which is the "I know how you feel" bit that Wannabeskinny was talking about) psychiatrist I've ever had was male.

If he's been at the school for a while, he probably has a lot of experience working with young adults of both sexes. I think alaskanlaughter's idea of expressing your nervousness or communication fears up front would probably be very helpful. And if you think it might help you to write down a list of concerns to show him, go for it. Sometimes it's a lot less intimidating to hand someone a piece of paper than it is to try to explain yourself verbally.

Good luck!

Last edited by theox; 09-17-2013 at 08:04 PM.
theox is offline   Reply With Quote