General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-25-2013, 07:19 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrypie View Post
I don't understand why american women go to the gyno so often either. Our gp does all the screening necessary and sends you to the gyno when something comes up. You don't even see a gyn/ob when you are pregnant unless their is a problem. That seems to work fine.
I'm in Canada too, and this isn't entirely true. It depends on your family doctor. Also, for me I go to my gyn once a year so I don't end up being stuck with another one. My city has a shortage of doctors big time, and if you don't see your doctor on a regular basis you may not still be on their list.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:49 PM   #17  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
I don't understand why american women go to the gyno so often either. Our gp does all the screening necessary and sends you to the gyno when something comes up. You don't even see a gyn/ob when you are pregnant unless their is a problem. That seems to work fine.
I never go to a gyno... my gp does all the checking. I think that is pretty common practice here in America unless they find something for which there is a reason to send you to a gyno.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:45 PM   #18  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
I don't really get it either (and I'm American, lol). I used to live in a rural area and I saw my general practitioner for everything, including "well woman" exams and paps. Actually now that I think about it, I still went to a gp for paps even after moving to a metropolitan area. The first time I used an obgyn was when I was pregnant last year.

OP - I agree, talk to your pcp about whether there are any benefits to seeing a separate doc. Can your pcp do any exams you may be needing? If so, it seems excessive to have another physician. Just my thoughts.
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:03 PM   #19  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti in Seattle View Post
I never go to a gyno... my gp does all the checking. I think that is pretty common practice here in America unless they find something for which there is a reason to send you to a gyno.
Well I think mostly women do go to gynos but I think that at a certain age, maybe switching to a gp is normal. I've seen a gyno yearly since I was 18. I rather go to someone who maybe better versed on birth control methods and reproductive issues. I only go to a gp if I'm sick.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:12 AM   #20  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
I rather go to someone who maybe better versed on birth control methods and reproductive issues. I only go to a gp if I'm sick.
This makes sense! I'm no longer reproducing. The post about vaginal cancer makes sense. I haven't sent an email to my PCP yet. I'm loving the input here. Thank you, ladies.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote