General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-22-2013, 02:25 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 310/*look*/140

Height: 5'9

Another long-time lurker turned loud mouth here. I lurked because I was not yet feeling ready to start another "diet" I knew I would fail at. I have disengaged from people in the "real world" for similar reasons on many occasions, I don't want to disappoint them if I fail.
Lecomtes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I lurk and I post. I like to read and learn anything about diet and health. There are some forums that I like to read but do not post because I have no experience such as the Weight Loss Surgery Threads.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120

Height: 5'3''

Quote:
Originally Posted by loser444 View Post
Ok.....I admit to being a lurker LOL. My new goal is to post at least once a week. I just restarted IP after being off a year. Day 3 and doing great - already in ketosis
LOL... I will second this. I am a lurker. Mostly because I am shy, English is not my native language and I am from different culture.

So, I like the goal.
PrincessSophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 169.75/125/125

Height: 5'2.75"

I'm another one who goes through phases of lurking & posting. I'm not sure how much I can offer to people, so that's why I don't post too much, but I'm also pretty much done losing weight so I'm not really sure where I fit in now.

I know there's a maintainers section, but I'm still trying to figure that bit of the whole process out, so feel a bit of a fraud posting in there!

I still like to read the forums though as they help keep me on the straight and narrow and it's nice to see people going through similar journeys to what I went through.
d130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:12 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 262/238/150

Introvert = lurker. that's me.
Beewidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 270/260s/120

Height: 5'1"

I've been a lurker for a while now and there's quite a few reasons why I don't post as often.

1. Whatever input I have to offer has been covered by a previous poster, usually in a more eloquent manner. Whatever I add to it might just sound redundant.

2. My reply usually gets overlooked and I wonder if it's because my lack of post count makes it look like I'm a passerby and not "one of the group". I don't really mind but if someone asks for advice and I spend a decent amount of time offering my two cents only to be completely ignored, well, that stings. Just a little bit.

3. I'm usually on when I'm supposed to be working or studying. In my mind, as long as I'm not posting, I'm still being productive. I know...
LadyPetite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:54 PM   #22  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandelionCupcakes View Post
I lurked for a long time because I was terrified that I wouldn't be accepted into the community :C Or that someone wouldn't like me. Or that I'd be laughed at.
Aww! I see so much of this type of sentiment reading through threads. It such a shame what weight does to people on an emotional level.

I have never been just a lurker here. I joined in from day one. But I have lurked on other sites. So, I can understand why people would do it. On other sites I search for information and, if I find it and I have nothing to add to the conversation, I don't post. So, maybe people are just finding the info they need and moving on.

Another explanation may be as follows: I follow several threads. But I also will click on the "New Posts" link at the top of the 3FC page to see what threads are active and current. If the title of a certain thread topic seems like something I'd be interested in knowing more about, I'll click on it. (In fact, that is exactly how I came across this thread). Now, sometimes after reading a given thread I will comment -- if I have something to add. But many times I do not. I suspect that happens with a lot of people. So, that would contribute to the number of reads of a post without a comment.

Last edited by joefla70; 03-22-2013 at 04:56 PM.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:56 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 211/149.2/130

Height: 5'0

I mostly lurk because I find myself a bit of a thread killer. It always seems that I respond when a thread is at its actual end. It makes me feel like I don't have much to contribute.
valid28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:07 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 270/260s/120

Quote:
Originally Posted by valid28 View Post
I mostly lurk because I find myself a bit of a thread killer. It always seems that I respond when a thread is at its actual end. It makes me feel like I don't have much to contribute.
Same here. I think I even hear crickets chirp right after I post a reply.
LadyPetite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:43 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 211/149.2/130

Height: 5'0

Ladypetite you had me laughing out loud. Now I feel like I have a true sister out here.
valid28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:37 PM   #26  

Height: 5'6"

I lurk a lot. I post every once in a while, but I read almost everything generally on my phone while laying in bed. It is a pain to type on though. I don't usually feel I have much to contribute that hasn't been said.
IAmTheGlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:52 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyPetite View Post
I've been a lurker for a while now and there's quite a few reasons why I don't post as often.

1. Whatever input I have to offer has been covered by a previous poster, usually in a more eloquent manner. Whatever I add to it might just sound redundant.

2. My reply usually gets overlooked and I wonder if it's because my lack of post count makes it look like I'm a passerby and not "one of the group". I don't really mind but if someone asks for advice and I spend a decent amount of time offering my two cents only to be completely ignored, well, that stings. Just a little bit.

3. I'm usually on when I'm supposed to be working or studying. In my mind, as long as I'm not posting, I'm still being productive. I know...
I don't think you are being overlooked or ignored. I think many of our posts do not get read by the original poster because they have left the thread and have not come back later and checked for replies. I see that happen a lot.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #28  

I was a lurker for a very long time on here, so long that I can't remember. I never joined because, like others have said, I was really afraid of embarrassing myself/letting people down by failing. In other words, I wasn't really ready yet. I still lurk now sometimes just because I'm busy, but I try my best to get involved. To anyone who may be lurking & reading this - once you find your niche, it's really easy to jump in! I've never once had an encounter with anyone here that was anything but friendly and welcoming, despite my initial fears.
thinkfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:57 PM   #29  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyPetite View Post
Same here. I think I even hear crickets chirp right after I post a reply.
LOL. I tend to be a thread-jacker. I often will hijack a thread and derail it!
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:32 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 153/120.8/100

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
I don't think you are being overlooked or ignored. I think many of our posts do not get read by the original poster because they have left the thread and have not come back later and checked for replies. I see that happen a lot.
Lol, why am I lurking on the thread I started? I have definitely been reading all your replies, it's been nice to see you all come out and post something
KimblesCrumbles is offline   Reply With Quote