General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #16  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccull83 View Post
My husband and family think I'm crazy (and maybe you will too ), but certain textures repulse me!
1) pickles (love the taste but they squeak on your teeth)
2) oatmeal (like the taste but it's too mooshy/slimy)
Case in point: when I was in nursing school they had us drink something with different amounts of the thickener they use for people who can't swallow correctly. They showed how the actual thickener product doesn't have any taste to it, but it definitely made my brain think the fluids tasted WAY different with it in it.
Anyways, I saw the title of this thread and my brain was immediately filled with all these thoughts so I thought I'd share
ive always wondered what that thickener made stuff taste like...years ago in my program i had a little boy who couldnt swallow correctly and i had to mix all his stuff with that thickener and monitor him at snacktime...never did taste it though
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:19 AM   #17  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychic View Post
I cannot stand the texture of cottage cheese. It makes me gag. The taste is fine but I just can't get it down. Feels like vomit in my mouth..
Shytttt, that vomit comment almost ruined cottage cheese for me, lol. Luckily I have a strong stomach and I reallyreallyreally love cottage cheese that much.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:14 AM   #18  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I had some texture aversion as a kid (tomatoes, ewwww) but these days I really have none. It's actually a bit unusual, from what I can tell
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:26 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I don't have problems with textures, unless something is way too crunchy. Interestingly I'm reading this book called The End of Overeating and they talk at length about the texture of food. They spend a lot of money testing the textures of certain foods like chips or cheetos and other snack items. They try to reach an optimal level of initial crunch, but then most people want the food to melt in their mouth so you have a crunch and melt effect. Chain restaurants will optimize their food like a crispy chicken breast for example will look crunchy and initially be crispy but it will melt in your mouth. This allows more food to be consumed. It's fascinating.

But anyway, I'm surprised by this thread. I love all foods, seafood, mushrooms, bananas, mashed potatoes, soup, I love it all. It just sounds like pickiness to me. I had a friend at work who would bring her lunch every day and it was a white bread sandwich with american cheese and a del monte fruit cup in syrup. Absolutely no texture. She had other food weirdness too, can't eat chicken if it's on the bone, must always be in boneless or nugget form. What is up with that.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #20  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

DS13 did a complete 180 after getting into truly solid foods. I think he spent a decade absolutely refusing anything smooth, like squash, mashed potatoes, pudding, yogurt - as if to say "NO MORE BABY FOOD - EVER!!!!" That kid would probably chew the bark off a tree! Only in the last year or two has he been willing to eat smooth stuff. I notice that he washes every bite down with a glass of water, even while he's telling us it doesn't taste bad.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #21  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I forgot to mention that I don't like long stringy food so spaghetti noodles (angel hair, etc) are out. Sometimes, I can do the really thin rice noodles and flat noodles. It is definitely a texture, how they feel against my throat but also it is that it reminds me of a pile of worms so I will also get a gag reflex by just looking at a picture of spaghetti. This is fairly recent though, I always had a gag reflex from eating but I could look at noodles without an issue.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 208/189/135

Height: 5'5

I can't stand mushy things; mashed potato, mushy peas, overcooked vegetables, etc. Especially if it's different things mushed together - shepherd's pie is my worst nightmare!
Lilytoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandie View Post
Shytttt, that vomit comment almost ruined cottage cheese for me, lol. Luckily I have a strong stomach and I reallyreallyreally love cottage cheese that much.
Funny,because that was my first thought too

As for texture...I think the only things that bother me are foods that have a rubbery texture.I think that's why I only eat the white meat on chicken.The dark meat tends to have rubbery surprises in it.If I have to chew it to death to break it down,it's a no go.

I guess there's more as certain veggies I will only consume in certain ways.Like carrots can be raw or stirfried,but I wont eat canned carrots.Canned peas and green beans are ok,but frozen aren't because they aren't soft enough.
zoritsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoritsa View Post

As for texture...I think the only things that bother me are foods that have a rubbery texture.I think that's why I only eat the white meat on chicken.The dark meat tends to have rubbery surprises in it.If I have to chew it to death to break it down,it's a no go.
Wow, that's funny. That's exactly the reason why I don't eat white meat on chicken, too dry and rubbery. The dark meat has such a better softer texture. You must not be cooking it right.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 202/195/140

Height: 5'3"

I can't stand coconut beccause of the texture, it reminds me of fingernail clippings...mushrooms, olives, uck.

I also don't like things that are super crunchy or crumbly. That's because of the messy factor though. Even when I was a baby I didn't like getting messy.
ArtyKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:00 PM   #26  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

I don't think I've met a food or a food texture that I don't like...hence my weight problem, lol!
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:24 AM   #27  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Hmm....my issues with texture are weird...for instance... i hate cotton candy because it reminds me of the gauze they stick in your mouth at the dentist...i dont like scrambled eggs and i dont like the grittyness of raspberies with the seeds...the skin of green wax beans..oh..and the fuzz on fuzzy peach skin..yuck!
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:29 AM   #28  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post
DS13 did a complete 180 after getting into truly solid foods. I think he spent a decade absolutely refusing anything smooth, like squash, mashed potatoes, pudding, yogurt - as if to say "NO MORE BABY FOOD - EVER!!!!" That kid would probably chew the bark off a tree! Only in the last year or two has he been willing to eat smooth stuff. I notice that he washes every bite down with a glass of water, even while he's telling us it doesn't taste bad.
That's so funny! My DS17 refused, absolutely refused to eat any sort of baby food/cereal. And if I did attempt to feed it to him, he acted like I was trying to kill him! After a month or two I gave up. He nursed exclusively, and he was huge--he was 30 lbs at 6 months, until he went straight to table food at 8 months. The kid is seriously weird!

As for my food issues, I pretty much like all food, which was probably my issue in the first place.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #29  

I remembered I don't like the plastic-y noodles in dishes like pad-thai! Yuck!

And cottage cheese is absolutely awful, I can't even swallow it with my eyes closed and pretend it's something else.

*shudders* reading this thread!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #30  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I can't imagine eating canned vegetables but I'd say that is a taste not texture thing
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote