General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-26-2013, 02:48 PM   #16  
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
I've got thoughts on this from both perspectives.

One- they should not be mocking you online, that's a type of bullying and speaks very poorly of them. That part I'm completely on your side about.

But- I have a friend who is very similar to you. She suffers from dysthymia and major depressive disorders and she routinely blows me off for months at a time. I'm not the most social person myself, and it hurts me beyond words when she just cuts me off like that. I had been there for her every single time she needed me. But the last time she cut me off, I developed an attitude very much like that post: Don't make someone a priority that makes you an option. Whatever her reasons, she has made me an option when I was making her a priority. While I'm aware she suffers from depression, I can only take so much of that myself. It's painful, and it leaves me floundering when I have issues I need a friend to talk to about and she's not there for me. I don't want to be the on again/off again friend at her convenience.

I would never do what your friends did- I would never mock her. And I do reply to her when she reaches out to me, but I am no longer emotionally invested in her. She's blown me off too many times for me to keep doing that to myself.
I swear you and I have the same circle of friends, and ex friends.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:43 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 283/245/200 (for now)

Height: 5'3"

They are being VERY immature! You don't have time for that! You are a grown up and they've obviously made a pact not to be your friend. =( I'm so sorry about this situation. It's time to let them go and move on to people who understand you and your disorder..If they truly knew who and how you are they would never treat you so bad.
Betba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:21 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

Thanks again. Yes, I can see how my "issues" would affect the other person in the friendship.

I am trying to get better and am going (back) to counseling tomorrow. I really wish I could find a magic cure (not necessarily a pill) to help fix me so I can have a "normal" life.

She did finally contact me and tell me she was pissed that I went "off the grid" and didn't talk to anyone. I did apologize and again let her know it was not my intent to hurt her. She said no matter what my issues are, I shouldn't just cut myself off completely from the world.

I'm glad she gave me her side and let me know how she felt. However, I'm cautious about being her friend because her (and the other girl) felt it was completely acceptable to belittle me "publicly" on Facebook.
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:28 PM   #19  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenWolf View Post
Thanks again. Yes, I can see how my "issues" would affect the other person in the friendship.

I am trying to get better and am going (back) to counseling tomorrow. I really wish I could find a magic cure (not necessarily a pill) to help fix me so I can have a "normal" life.

She did finally contact me and tell me she was pissed that I went "off the grid" and didn't talk to anyone. I did apologize and again let her know it was not my intent to hurt her. She said no matter what my issues are, I shouldn't just cut myself off completely from the world.

I'm glad she gave me her side and let me know how she felt. However, I'm cautious about being her friend because her (and the other girl) felt it was completely acceptable to belittle me "publicly" on Facebook.
I'm glad you cleared the air with her. I can empathize with her hurt, since I've been in her shoes. I know it wasn't your intent, but your friends need you as much as you need them. Even if you're in a bad place at the time, a simple note to a friend to explain your absence is better than no communication at all.

But I agree with you that in this instance it's best to let this friend go. What she did was cruel and speaks volumes about her character (or lack of it).
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #20  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I suffer from chronic daily migraines and sometimes, that leaves me depressed. I've warned my friends that there will be times when I want to distance myself from them and they know that about me. People don't truly understand the gravity of my situation so those who can't deal aren't my friends. I'm still there for them no matter how I"m feeling so I think I'm a really good friend. I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone and many of us have struggles that people don't understand. I'm glad you have a supportive husband. That's HUGE!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote