General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 191/171/153 now 185/185/155

Height: 5'3"

Default I need courage...

Tonight there is a Lock and Key Singles event at 7pm EST.

If you are not familiar (I'm not either but this is what I learned). Upon entering the venue, women get locks and meN get keys. You are encouraged to speak to and meet as many people as possible and if your key fits the lock you get a chance to win prizes, so it is an incentive to mingle. At the end of the event you get an email if someone is interested in getting to know you better.

I signed up but now I'm afraid and I'm thinking about backing out. There are about 100 people attending. I will be going alone. I have a million thoughts going through my head...what if nobody likes me, am I really ready to date? , what if I look like a little old lady compared to the other women (age range is 35 - 49, I'm 46.

I have not been on a date in 2 years and I was in a relationship for 8, so 10 years off the market. I'm so nervous but I know I will never meet anyone by sitting on my couch. AND...I don't want to date a guy who looks and acts old. Oh, and it costs $21 in advance and $27 at the door.

Help!

Last edited by ImImportant; 01-26-2013 at 03:07 PM.
ImImportant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 210/175.3/TBD

Height: 5'2

I'd be thinking the same things. I have not had the courage to go to singles events (mostly because of my current weight). However, my divorced friend has been going to singles events like that and has met someone special. I would say, go in with confidence and no expectations so you can't leave disappointed....if nothing happens, know it isn't you; your mr. right just was not there and you will have some practice under your belt for the next time you go out of your comfort zone. If something does happen, then awesome!! You don't know any of those people and don't HAVE to see them again unless you want to, so it is a perfect setting to come out of your shell and take some risks.Have fun!
straightahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'

ImImportant (love your moniker, btw!) for some reason this sounds like a lot of fun! Of course you can do this, and I think you should do it. It sounds like a great way to meet lots of other people (not just men), get you off the couch and out of your house, and do it all in a safe environment. I don't get the sense that you're looking for your life partner or true love and that's probably the best way to go into this adventure. Put together your best outfit that you feel amazing and comfortable in, put on your make-up, do your hair, and have a wonderful evening out. I can't imagine that you are the only one feeling a bit nervous. Like I mentioned, this is an adventure and the beautiful and wonderful part of it is the potential to meet some great people you wouldn't have otherwise and the opportunity to move on (politely and graciously of course) if the situation calls for it.

I'm in my 40s as well and while my dating life is sort of stuck in the mud, I really feel like I'm in the prime of my life. I have fantastic friends, accomplishments all my own, and am living life with a freedom I never felt in my impressionable 20s and early 30s. YOU bring lots to the table so please don't forget that!

Best of luck to you tonight!
curvynotlumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/166/145

Height: 5'4"

I say go for it! Look at it like this, if you don't go, you will always wonder what would have happened if you had gone. Go, and no regrets
Jennifer1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #5  
babybat

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer1966 View Post
I say go for it! Look at it like this, if you don't go, you will always wonder what would have happened if you had gone. Go, and no regrets
you stole the words right out of my mouth. Totally agree with Jennifer.
I'mImportant, you can do it, who knows maybe you'll enjoy it?

Good luck and I will be wishing you the best
Babybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

You should go! It sounds like it could be a lot of fun! You never know unless you try, right?

Then report back and let us know how it was!!
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #7  

I say go for it! Get all dolled up, put on an outfit that makes you feel like a million bucks, put your prettiest smile on and walk in like you own the place (yes, it will be faking it but it will do oodles for your confidence, I promise you).

The worst thing that can happen, you leave early and chalk up the $20 to the dating learning curve.

The best thing that can happen, we all need to buy new dresses to come to the wedding in our new skinny bodies!!

Good luck and have fun. I think you might love it!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:57 PM   #8  

I thank you all for the pep talk and helping me put things into perspective. I just prepaid to get the discount price. I am dressed and ready to go.

I will let you all know how it goes.

Last edited by ImImportant; 01-26-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

Sweet! I'm so excited for you!
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:47 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'

Fantastic Have a wonderful evening and DO report back!
curvynotlumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:49 PM   #11  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Hope you're there now enjoying yourself!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:06 PM   #12  

I did it! It was fun. I could have been more outgoing but I did meet quit a few people. I tried to make my way through the crowd of about 100, but I oly made it a few feet. The men were nice enough. The funny thing is I ended up talking to one woman most of the evening. She was there with two friends who were off meeting people. She kind of made her way to me and we spoke about a number of topics. She is very pretty, fit, 39,(40 in October), never been married but she wants marriage and children. I gave her a pep talk and told her it's not too late to make it happen. I enjoyed talking to her but I wanted to mingle a little more. Yet somehow I couldn't get far enough away because I was stopped every few steps with men checking the lock. I ended the night In a booth with her, her two friends, a guy named Matt and two other women I don't know. Crazy night but I'm glad I did it. Thanks for the encouragement. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I didn't me Mr. right but I got some good practice making aquaintances.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:10 AM   #13  
babybat

Height: 5'7

Yay I'm so happy you went. You'll find mr right someday hun!
Babybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:44 AM   #14  

I'm so happy you went and had a good time! Thanks for the report!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:56 AM   #15  

Default Wow!

This could be fun! Seize the moment! I think that this will be a great way to socialize with other people.
ashleybrook05 is offline   Reply With Quote