General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 156/154/125

Height: 5'1.5"

12 days is a ridiculous length of time in this case. And more so if you haven't been able to enjoy that time for the last 4 years. I would simply tell her she can stay for a week.
happynottsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #17  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickieBoom View Post
I agree! I think I'm really upset because she didn't even ask if she could stay through New Year's. She just stated that that was what she was going to do. She didn't ask me if I would mind or if it was ok with my parents to stay at their house for 12 days over their vacation. She just said, I'm staying through New Years. I wouldn't be thrilled about it if she had asked because I think it's an imposition but I'm pissed that she didn't ask.

Everyone miscommunicates sometimes. False assumptions, unclear communication, poor communication... it hppens. It's also true that there are cultural and family differences in what is considered normal and polite. Literally in many cultures and subcultures what is stated in a statement is assumed to actually be a question (she would have corrected me, if I was wrong).

In others, an invitation (even if it's an invitation that was requested) that is given without a specific time frame is considered an OPEN invitation (stay as long as you'ld like is implied IF the host doesn't say anything othewise).

I worked in social service and law enforcement most of my career, and I had to learn about many different cultures and subcultures, and encountered many more regional and family differences as well. In MANY cultures for example, a wedding invitation is assumed to mean "bring as many friends as you'ld like, the more the merrier." Now etiquette books will tell you that's rude - but it isn't rude if everyone involved understand the cultural expectations.

Because there are so many different sets of etiquette and politeness, I never assume that a person is being intentionally rude because they didn't communicate the way I wish they would have. I also don't do anything that I don't wish to do, so if there's a misscommunication, I do what I need to, to clear it up.

Let's face it, you weren't clear when inviting her, how long the invitation was meant for. That's your miscommunication in this. She assumed that the invitation was open-ended. That's her miscommunication. You felt hurt that she didn't ask if she could extend the visit, but you said nothing. That implied it was ok with you... another miscommunication on your part...

Getting upset over how someone "should have communicated" usually is counterproductive - especially when you're not communicating clearly yourself. There are so many things you could have said to clarify the situation, instead you perpetuated the miscommunication. That's why "etiquette" is often more nonsense than not, because every group of people have their own set. "They should know better," really is in the eye of the beholder, because none of us get a complete set of the rules and we don't get to see the rule lists the other person is working with.

So, assuming she didn't mean to be inconsiderate (and if you assume she is inconsiderate why is she your friend), you could have communicated your feelings in many ways that would have cleared up the misunderstanding.

1. Wow, I really wish you would have asked about staying longer sooner. I'm not sure that will work out for us, let me talk to my parents and I'll get back to you on that."

2. (You also could have acted as if you just naturally assumed her statement was actually a question) "That would be fun, I'll talk to my parents and see if it's ok." or "I'll have to find out if that's going to work for us," or even "You know that's not going to work for us."

Especially when people get excited about something, it's easy to make false assumptions. She probably was so excited and was having so much fun thinking and talking about her visit, that she assumed you felt the same way. It wasn't the most sensitive of assumptions, but I doubt she meant to weasel her way into your family's holiday celebrations whether she was welcome or not.

In fact, I bet she would me mortified if she realized you were offended in any way.

If you think she's by nature rude, selfish, and insensitive, why is she your friend in the first place? And if she's a friend, or even just a a random, average person, isn't it much more likely that she just got carried away in the excitement of planning the visit?]

Give her the benefit of the doubt in terms of her intentions, but if you don't want her to stay that long, tell her it won't work out (give whatever reason you're comfortable with, even if it's no explanation at all).

Last edited by kaplods; 12-08-2012 at 08:54 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:57 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Quote:

I have been so excited because for the first time in 4 years, I was able to take off from work the entire week between Christmas and New Year's. I was thrilled to be back home for this length of time and started making plans to see friends and family. I wish that there was some way that I could shake off my annoyance so as not to ruin the entire vacation but everytime I think about it, I get angrier because she's just latched herself on to my entire holiday vacation.
All I can say is, you're a better person than I would be!!!!
Mountain Mamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:38 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

I would just like to add that there is probably a decent chance she has absolutely no idea how rude she is being.

I had an issue a few year ago during my senior year of college. I attended a large sports university where football was very big. Every home game I went to my best friends boyfriends parents tailgate and ate and drank with them. I wasn't drinking them out of house and home either. I assumed since the people running the tailgate were alums it was cool. Anyway towards the end of the season someone made a comment that I should bring something and I was mortified.

Just something to consider to help you with your anger. It's harder to fault someone who doesn't know they are doing anything wrong. She probably just assumes your parents love her and it's cool.
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:27 AM   #20  
Releasing the inner hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
Just something to consider to help you with your anger. It's harder to fault someone who doesn't know they are doing anything wrong. She probably just assumes your parents love her and it's cool.
Very thoughtful advice, Scarlett.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #21  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
I'm think that I'm going to sleep on it for a couple of nights. I'm on the fence about what to do. I should have asked more questions when she initially asked to spend Christmas with us and I am really grateful to have a family to go home to. I don't want to be selfish about this so I'll just give it some more time and see where I'm at in a few days.
FWIW that does not really seem fair to your friend. You didn't tell her when she said she was staying and if you are going to change your mind now, she needs to know immediately so she can make other plans. It's not fair to leave her hanging and assuming she is wanted at your place, and then hit her with the fact that it isn't. Christmas is right around the corner and if she is not going to be welcome at your place, there might be other people who would be glad to have her visit with them. But especially at this time of year, she needs all the time she can have in order to plan it, as others have their plans made early.

You should have told her when she said it; but since you didn't, you need to remedy that as soon as you possibly can.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:12 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 329/254.6/180?

Height: 5'4"

You and your friend may have the type of relationship where it is okay for her to ask to stay with you and your family of origin for the holidays. Only you know that and you said you have been friends for years so I assume this type of communication has occurred before.
You did say yes so to cancel all together now would be rude. However next time you can be prepared to say no it would not be convenient or whatever.
But it would be fair to tell your friend, I am thrilled to spend Christmas with you, I decided I want to spend alone time with my family during the rest of my holiday, I will be happy to host you until (give date). How she reacts gives you information. Your request is reasonable, and if she is angry or unreasonable over reasonable requests who wants a friend like that?

Good luck.
pluckypear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 329/254.6/180?

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by energie View Post
If you are feeling upset and resentful, tell her she cant stay.
I am more inclined to agree with this. I mean really it would have been great if you had initially said no but you didn't. We have likely all felt pressured to say yes or are pleasers or whatever, we make mistakes.
However you are in no way obligated to have her with you for the holidays. Not in any way are you responsible for her. She is an adult. Oh well if you cancel. Like others said I would do it asap though so she can make other plans and to release your anxiety. You do not have to give a reason. LIfe happens. If you were sick or your parents would you still feel obligated to host her, of course not.
You can simply say you rethought the idea and it just will not work out. If you want you can say but would love to see you over the holidays for dinner one day or something. Only if you want to.
Again if she is a good friend she should understand and she should not have asked in the first place. If she has nowhere to go and she wants to see your parents she could have suggested you get together while she is there, staying elsewhere.
Again good luck.
pluckypear is offline   Reply With Quote