General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 170/*see ticker*/120

Height: 5'3

Unhappy Sunburns

Anybody have good remedies to help with really bad sunburns and peeling skin? On fathers day I went to the beach and I needed some color very badly on my thighs stomach and chest as they were pasty white where the rest of my body was tan. So I sunbathed for about 45 minutes, with no sunscreen which I now regret, as I got burnt really bad in my pasty white areas. My skin has been bright red, very tender and peeling really bad all over. I went to the beach again yesterday, this time with sunscreen and I still got burnt and once more in the same areas, and I noticed I was getting bright red dots on my stomach. I am now very tender once again and it hurts to have clothes rub up against my body. I've been putting aloe vera on twice a day since fathers day and it's not helping with my peeling skin or the tenderness. I even tried a white vineger bath then cold aloe verra on afterwards like a relative suggested and the only thing that did was cause my whole body to sting and burn, and was very painful. I haven't done another white vinegar bath since, though i'm still putting aloe verra on twice a day, and it's not helping. Do you guys have any other tips to help with sunburns that work for you?
SoCalCowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #2  
pick your hard

S/C/G: 240/192/145

I imagine aloe cools the area but does not moisturise. The skin will peel regardless but use a moisturising cream (repeatedly). I use Bepanthol or in case I don't have it with me, my regular skin cream.
Kitcherella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:11 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Yikes!

I think just time will help. You are damaging your skin. If you "need" color you can get Jergans tanning lotion.

I wear SPF 50, sunscreen shirts and hats and yet somehow still have a light gold tan.

Having had a friend who died of melanoma recently, having a tan just isn't worth it. And 2nd degree burns don't sound much fun.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 246/246/135

Height: 5'6

I fell asleep while sunning myself on the beach in Florida once. My family did not cover me up or wake me up or anything, lol. I had a very bad sunburn. My grandma made me lay down on her couch while she boiled some black tea in a big pot. She wet paper towels with the tea and laid them on my sunburn.

I don't know how it worked but it did. It sucked all the heat out of my burn and I never did peel. I peel if you look at me wrong. I wasn't 100% better but it sure beat how I was. The only thing is that she did this for me for at least 2 hours. So it's time consuming. You have to rewet the paper towels when they start to dry, which is frequently. I've tried it on my own with less time (Maybe 30-45 minutes) and it did not work any where close to as well.

Last edited by Daki; 07-02-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Daki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:02 PM   #5  
Just Jen

S/C/G: 220/tracker/150

Height: 5"3

I was snowboarding in the mountains once when I was young and I got severe sunburn/windburn on my face and my friend's stepmom put buttermilk on it..it stopped the burn and took away the redness. Felt a little strange, but straight out from the fridge, it felt amazing on my flaming red face!
boardriider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #6  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

Just aloe, cool water, and time really. Soak yourself in a cool tub for sure.

You could try moisturizers for the peeling, but I've found none that actually prevent it from happening completely.

Last edited by Vex; 07-02-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #7  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

i found an aloe gel with lidocaine(?) in it at the store once, or some sort of cooling medication in it that took the pain and sting away from the burn

i burn extremely easy and once sunburned myself to the point of sun sickness
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/150

Height: 5'5

I find that taking a bath with Baking soda (1-2 cups dissolved in cool water.. Not cold) works wonders for relief and the peeling. Soak in the bath for 30 minuets.

A couple weeks ago I went out and got myself sun poisoning. I have very pale skin and blonde hair. It's a running joke in my family that I cant go out side for more then 10 minuets w/out getting burned. And the burn was so bad I was nearly in tears.. I couldnt sleep so I did that and it literally took the burn away right away and did not come back. And I did peel but it wasn't as bad as normal.
imnotperfect24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:29 AM   #9  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

When i get bad sunburns on my arms and back or legs..What i do.. is soak big towels in cold water..and then proceed to lay in bed on a towel and place the wet towels all over my body and i sleep like that...I change up the towels when they start getting too warm..but it helps cool it down a bit...I actually heard that using pure lavender essential oil works wonders or a lavender bath with real lavender that has been steeped in tea and then poured into the tub..for some reason lavender helps with burns... and of course aloe helps..but the one thing about aloe that doesnt help is that it keeps the heat in..so your skin is burning for longer...
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I've found that putting on some calamine lotion and sitting in front of a fan really helps.

Be careful out there, don't skip the sunscreen! I've already had melanoma (luckily it was caught early) and I'm only 28. I never thought it would *actually* happen and it's terrifying and I have a significant scar from it (it was just a tiny little mark and I thought I was paranoid even having it looked at).

Last edited by djs06; 07-05-2012 at 04:50 PM.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote