General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-11-2012, 12:39 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'8

Default Advice on foot tattoos?

So, I'm thinking of rewarding myself with a foot tattoo when I get further along in my journey. Does anyone have any advice or experience to share? Is it truly as painful as everyone seems to say? Do I really have to walk barefoot or in open shoes for 2 weeks? Should I take time off for the first week to heal my newly inked footsie? Etc.
Katbot24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:54 AM   #2  
Warrior Princess

Have you had a tattoo before? I would recommend getting one maybe on your ankle instead because the top of your foot is going to hurt like a mofo unless you're feeling up to it. More power to ya, I couldn't handle it. It will have to have a bandage on it for a day, after that you'll have to do ointment several times a day. I don't know if there's a sock/shoe rule but it shouldn't be 2 weeks.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:02 AM   #3  
Every step is progress.

S/C/G: 297/221/175

Height: 5'11"

I've not had a foot tattoo. I do know people that have. ( and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once. lol sorry) Do you have other tattoos?

From the tattoos that I do have and from what I've heard, I know that feet and hands are more difficult to tattoo, and require touchups more often due to the likelihood that the skin is tougher, and they're both areas that have lots of stress/flexibility. I was surprised when I got my tat behind my ear that the artist told me that the area I chose is similarly complicated. I'm assuming it also has to do with exposure.

As far as pain goes, my tattoo on my inner ankle has definitely been the most painful, and I believe it has to do with how much fat the area has, whether its over muscle or bone, and how often the area comes into direct pressure.

I don't mean to assume, but I would think the foot could be painful, but I can't imagine its as painful as tattoos people get on their inner bicep or boob.

I've not had any tattoos that I couldn't wear clothing over, but I'd be willing to bet that the top of the foot would be one that you want to make sure heals properly, and I would think doing the sandal thing for 2 weeks is not a bad idear.

I'm anxious to read other peoples responses, as I have thought about getting the top of my foot done too
RandomPaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:10 AM   #4  
Warrior Princess

The last one I got on my lower back, and omg when they got near my tail bone. I was laying there thinking WTH am I doing?? That hurt the worst, ankle 2nd but I can imagine the inner ankle being worse, thigh wasn't bad at all. I think places away from bone with more fat/muscle the better. Top of the foot makes me shudder but if she's tough then go for it..I would sissy out on that one.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:12 AM   #5  

I have no other tats BUT I have had my nipple pierced. From what I understand if I can sit through that without bawling like a newborn I'm set for most painful experiences.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:12 AM   #6  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

My husband has literally 50% of his body covered in tattoos. He told me he'd NEVER get one on his foot. His sleeve is blank over his elbow because he said it felt like the tattoo gun was rattling his bone, when it went over the area. So yeah, over bone, HURTS.

For your first tattoo... I'd suggest you try somewhere with a little more padding!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:13 AM   #7  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katbot24 View Post
I have no other tats BUT I have had my nipple pierced. From what I understand if I can sit through that without bawling like a newborn I'm set for most painful experiences.
Ok then, nevermind . Mine are pierced and that hurt worse than childbirth... so you're good for anything!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:49 AM   #8  
Every step is progress.

Kat, you didn't mention it, but why did you choose specifically the top of the foot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by novangel View Post
The last one I got on my lower back, and omg when they got near my tail bone. I was laying there thinking WTH am I doing?? That hurt the worst, ankle 2nd but I can imagine the inner ankle being worse, thigh wasn't bad at all.
I was trying to give directions to my friend over my mobile phone, as he was going to meet me there was about to hang up as he got to the lower end of my antique key. (the "Flag" of the key was near my anklebone) I asked him to stay on the phone with me until he walked into the room because it was a distraction from the pain and I was afraid I'd jerk my leg.

I'll bet the lower back/spine area has to be insane.

The most traumatic and worse pain I've ever had was not a tattoo. 2 years ago, I lost my inner ear mechanisms due to a benign tumor removal, which also caused me to go completely deaf in my right ear. After I recovered, I chose to have BAHA (Bone-Anchored hearing aid) surgery. Essentially, I had a titanium post embedded in my skull. The processor snaps on the end of the post, and submits sound through the bone to the mechanisms in my other ear.

They installed the post implant while I was fully awake. (I refer to it as the day I got my head screwed) They shot me with local anesthesia. Needles in the skull weren't fun. I'll spare the nasty details, but if you've ever had a root canal, this is 10 times as bad.

While the area around the post/screw was healing, I was overseas for some time, and a woman I'd worked with for 8 weeks broke down and asked me about it. I laughed when she told me she thought it was a piercing.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:36 AM   #9  

I have lots of tat plans, but many if them are on hold since im changing the shape of my body. My feet and hands are already very slender, so I consider it a safe spot to get one during my journey.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:03 AM   #10  
Every step is progress.

Aah, okay that makes sense
Old 06-11-2012, 03:28 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 162/129/120

Height: 5'6''... and a half

My sister just (like 2 weeks ago) had the top of her foot done. Both my mom and the tattoo artist said they were surprised that she didn't even flinch... It was also her first tattoo. However, she didn't have any shading done or color or anything, so it is just a basic outline (I can imagine the longer the area is being "irritated" the more painful it gets). I also know my family has a fairly high pain tolerance... The only thing that hurt when I got my lower back done was being bent over for 3 hours and my dad recently tore his Achilles and he was still able to walk on it... So, I would imagine it depends on what and how big your tattoo is, your pain tolerance, and how fast you heal.

In regards to caring for it, my sister had hers covered for the day and went to work (as a server, so constantly on her feet) half an hour after having it done. The only complaint she's had so far was for about 72 hours after having it done the skin felt "tight" when she walked, but not sore. And I don't think that she has even worn closed-top shoes yet because it's been fairly warm here and she just wears flats or flip-flops, but I don't think she would be at all concerned or worried about wearing socks or runners or whatever.

I wouldn't overly worry about how much it might hurt though... It's something you'll have for forever, as you know, and if it's what you want and where you want the hour or two of pain will be well worth it.
EricAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:58 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

I have a tattoo on my inner ankle and that hurt like heck however,I still want one on the top of my foot too...and the pain from the first tattoo wont stop me from getting one there.With my ankle one,I was told that if I could,wear flip flops or something that wouldn't rub on the tattoo a lot until it was healed completely,so I would think the top of the foot would be the same.
zoritsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #13  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

I have 12 tattoos. I haven't had one on my foot... YET. But I imagine it's painful - any place where there isn't much fat would be! - My first ink was on my outer ankle. Hurt like a MOFO! - my next one was lower back, & yeah, that hurt too. I have ink on my upper arms, my inner wrist, my calves and my neck. Surprising to me, those on my neck & inner wrist hurt the least of all.

But the pain is worth it for the art, IMHO. And if you do get a foot tattoo, yeah, I'd go with flip-flop for shoes for at least a week... maybe two. Also you should be aware that you shouldn't swim for a couple weeks, and shouldn't even take a bath (shower is ok) - just don't want water to hit directly on the tattoo until it's mostly healed.

Good luck! - and take a picture! I'd love to see what you get!
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 229/174/150

Height: 5'9"

My 2nd tattoo was on the top of my foot. It covers most of my extra large foot! i did not think it was terrible. Close to my toes and out towards the side were the worst but definitely doable. I also had to go to work as a server the next day and work all day. It was a little swollen but I covered it and it was fine. I say if that's where you wnt it go for it. It's only temporary! I have also had my nipples pierced but have not had any children.
beachlover86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:50 AM   #15  

I have tattoos on both feet on top . I also have other tattoos as well.

I think they did hurt a lot more, but it was tolerable, you can feel the bones and tendons more when they are inking your feet. Like any tattoo, if you want it bad enough, its' worth the pain. I had mine done in the summer and wore sandals a lot it healed up fine. I love mine an don't regret them at all.
leslieblue is offline   Reply With Quote