General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 12:14 PM   #1  

Question Turkish Delight

Hi.

This is my first post, and it's a query really. I've read on many pages that Turkish Delights are indeed, fat free.

Can someone shed any light on this?

Thanks!

Kc <3
Old 01-17-2003, 12:29 PM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

I've never had Turkish Delight - but you just reminded me of the wonderful book "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe" by CS Lewis. Remember the White Witch lured Edmund with enchanted Turkish Delight?

Remember though, 'fat free' doesn't mean that it's perfectly okay to eat - as many of us learned back in the mid-90's after polishing off boxes and boxes of Snackwell's Devils Food Cookie Cakes. Bottom line, it's sugar - not fat - that is the REAL enemy (there are good fats and bad fats ya know - I'm not saying to go ahead and eat a cup of peanut butter or anything like that). The thing about sugar, is that when you eat it, you want more and more - like an addiction. So maybe the White Witch didn't have to enchant the Turkish Delight after all!
Old 01-17-2003, 10:17 PM   #3  
it's always something

http://www.turkish-delight.com/ sells sugar free Turkish Delight

If you can afford the sugar and feel adventurous, you could even make your own. I couldn't find any recipes for a sugar free version, though. Here is a recipe I found on the net..

Ingredients
4 cups sugar
4-1/2 cups water
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1-1/4 cups cornstarch
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1-1/2 tablespoons Rosewater
Red food coloring (optional)
1 cup confectioners sugar

Step 1:
Oil a 9-inch square pan. Line with plastic wrap and oil the plastic wrap.

Step 2:
In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar, 1-1/2 cups of the water, and the lemon juice. Stir until the sugar dissolves and the mixture boils. Reduce the heat and simmer gently, without stirring, until the mixture reaches the soft-ball stage (240°F at sea level, or 28°F above the boiling point of water as measured on your candy thermometer). Remove the pan from the heat.

Step 3:
In a second large heavy saucepan over medium heat, stir together 1 cup cornstarch and the cream of tartar. Gradually stir in the remaining 3 cups of water until no lumps remain. Stir constantly, until the mixture boils and is a thick, gluey paste.

Step 4:
Slowly pour the hot sugar, water, and lemon juice syrup into the cornstarch mixture, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring often to prevent sticking, for about 1 hour, or until the mixture has become a pale golden color.

Step 5:
Stir in the rosewater and tint as desired with food coloring. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Cool to room temperature and let stand, uncovered, overnight to set.

Step 6:
Sift the confectioners sugar and the remaining 1/4 cup cornstarch onto a large cutting board. Turn the Turkish Delight out and cut into 1-inch squares with an oiled knife. Roll pieces in the sugar mixture to coat well. Store in an airtight container with sheets of waxed paper, dusted with the sugar mixture, separating every layer.

Makes 80 pieces
Total time: 2 hours

Nutritional Information
1 piece:
Calories 50
Saturated Fat 0g
Total Fat 0g
Protein 0g
Carbohydrate 13g
Fiber 0g
Sodium 3mg
Cholesterol 0mg