General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-01-2011, 09:58 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddc View Post
I don't even understand people taking their pets to Petsmart and Petco.

I can understand that-it's the one place that one can comfortably take your pet for a small outing. Our dog Leonard loved to go places, but there was no way that mum or dad would take him anywhere in town because he isn't a service animal; we didn't have a pet smart, but I am sure he would have loved to go!

I can also understand because I have ferrets. If I went in with an intention of getting a new ferret, I like to take some of the others and let them choose.
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:15 PM   #17  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixC Chix View Post
Most definitely, any 'companion' dogs should be certified as such by going through a little testing for aggressiveness and simple obedience. They should have to wear the designation as such when they are in a restaurant or store. This would give the business owner a leg to stand on.
I don't know if you were around several years ago when I posted about my friend and I being refused service in a restaurant because her dog was a "hearing" dog, not a "seeing" dog. Linda had her state issued ID with the dog's picture and registration number on one side and her picture on the other. She had the paperwork stating that it is against federal law for the restaurant to refuse service. Her dog was wearing that cape thing and the leash stated "hearing dog". They told us we could sit outside on the patio and eat. A table of 4 were about to order and decided to walk out when they saw what was happening to us. We walked out and enjoyed a better meal at a restaurant up the highway.

BTW, that guy sold out and the new owners and staff are quite friendly. However, the food is awful. Guess we won't bother with the Pine Cone in Mi Wuk anymore.

I'm glad to see that I'm not alone in this. I have no problem with people walking their dogs or taking them to dog parks. I have problems with their mutt pooping on my yard and them not cleaning it up. I have problems with the retractable leashes when I'm riding my bike and their dog runs out into the road. I've almost hit a dog or 2 and gotten tangled up in 10 ft of leash. I have problems with people who feel the law is for you not them.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:22 PM   #18  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
When I see people's dogs waiting in the car at the grocery store Im just like.. ... seriously?
When the weather is OK, our dog rides with us most places (we have to cut it back in Summer). Usually it's because we work her daily exercise (walk and dog park) into our day, and we run errands while we're out, but she also has fairly severe separation anxiety (she was a rescue and comes from abuse) that results in destruction to our house (she tries to dig under whatever door we left to get back to us) if we leave her un-kenneled, and she's an active dog so we don't like to kennel her all day if we can help it.

She doesn't go IN anywhere dogs aren't welcome, but she sits happily in the car while we go to the Farmer's Market or the grocery store. It isn't that I can't live without her, it's that I want to avoid destroyed doors/windows and/or a cracked out, un-exercised dog when I get home.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:41 PM   #19  
Releasing the inner hiker

Another reason people bring their animals with them places, is that they need socialization. Not sure why anyone would have a problem with PetSmart/Petco policies; it is one of the few places people can socialize their dog in public. I practically live in one on the weekend, as my puppy needs to be around the noise/strangers/action so that she doesn't grow up with more severe issues.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:48 PM   #20  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

During the summer months here lots of people bring their dogs to our Downtown Farmers' Market. I actually look forward to seeing all them as I am a "dog person". I have never seen one drool on food items or even pee or poop anywhere. I have never seen any dog aggression or problems, so I assume that most people are bringing dogs that are well behaved. Some are muzzled, most are on leashes. If not they are small ones that the owner carries. Part of the fun for me is see all the different breeds of dogs and visiting with the owners. That said, we do not take our two dogs with us. They are rather nervous types and would most likely empty their bladder or something else with all the people and pets. It would not be any fun for us either, but I do really enjoy seeing everyone else's pets.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 175/147/145

Default Yuck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmare View Post
I had to complain at one of our local farmer's market because too many people had their dogs in there. One dog actually jumped up on one of the sausage sellers table. Others will carry the little dogs and their slobber gets all over the produce.

There are plenty of signs stating that they are not allowed, except for service animals, as it should be.

There have been a couple of dog fights break out in the past. Since all counties are in a world of hurt, why not start citing the people for violation? It says right on the sign what the code is.

I'm not talking about them being on the sidewalk on the outside of the market. These people are walking right down the aisles.

While I'm barking, I hate those leashes that allow the dog to be about 20 ft away from the owner. I've seen people trip on those things.
I am officially horrified by dogs in public! I saw a dog bite a salesman in a shoestore here! The man was bent over with pain. He had to have stitches. The dog owners barely apologised! I see them strutting around town with the 2 huge dogs. I have to wonder: How can they be so arrogant as to have no concern for other people, especially small children!!!

Wow! This hit a nerve!
jojotheyoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:05 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 450/ticker/350

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82
When the weather is OK, our dog rides with us most places (we have to cut it back in Summer). Usually it's because we work her daily exercise (walk and dog park) into our day, and we run errands while we're out, but she also has fairly severe separation anxiety (she was a rescue and comes from abuse) that results in destruction to our house (she tries to dig under whatever door we left to get back to us) if we leave her un-kenneled, and she's an active dog so we don't like to kennel her all day if we can help it.

She doesn't go IN anywhere dogs aren't welcome, but she sits happily in the car while we go to the Farmer's Market or the grocery store. It isn't that I can't live without her, it's that I want to avoid destroyed doors/windows and/or a cracked out, un-exercised dog when I get home.
I understand that; I'd bring my dog if he tore up everything too; he's a rescue dog, but he's very well trained since I got him when he was still a puppy. It just makes me laugh seeing people's dogs trapped in the car while they do their shopping & errands. To me, it seems to defeat the whole purpose of bringing your dog somewhere. Different strokes I guess..

Last edited by P H A T; 04-01-2011 at 04:06 PM.
P H A T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:15 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

We don't have a dog. I love them but we don't have time to take care of one with our busy schedules. We had a family member come visit us to stay a few days.

I answered the door and was surprised to see she had brought a dog with her, "oh, I just had to bring my little baby. I knew you wouldn't mind." Well, yes I do mind. We have a cat and cat litter and dogs like to eat what's in the cat litter and the cat's food. We locked up the cat in the bathroom downstairs and suffered through her visit. But I told her to leave the dog at home next time.

Let me tell you, making it up to the cat was a long process-he was very upset with us.

Last edited by sarahyu; 04-01-2011 at 04:15 PM.
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:01 PM   #24  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Living in southern (dog friendly) California Angie and I take our dogs with us to beach cafes for breakfast after our walks and to outside seating patios for dinner in the spring/summer sometimes...

our dogs are always next to us and we NEVER allow them to bother anyone!

They are our dogs and we love them but also know not everyone likes them!

although most everyone loves our golden retrievers!....wink

MARE ~even though we met outside...at the beach...you notice we did not bring them with us! lol....

Last edited by EZMONEY; 04-01-2011 at 11:02 PM.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:30 PM   #25  

S/C/G: CW: 155 GW: 130

Height: 5'2"

I agree. There are several dog owners here who take their dogs to school while they pick up their kids. They've sent home NUMEROUS letters saying dogs are absolutely NOT allowed on campus, for obvious safety reasons. Nevertheless, there are ALWAYS people bringing their dogs and standing within the crowd of people and their young children leaving school. A few tie their dogs to the BIKE RACK where all the kids have their bikes and just LEAVE them there while they stand near the doors waiting for their kids to come out. There have been dogs jumping on people, knocking small kids down, barking, getting loose and running around... Thankfully there have been no attacks, but the way people act with them, they should be ashamed. One woman started screaming at a school aid who asked her, very politely, to take her large dog back home. The woman was refusing to, saying she didn't have to take her dog all the way back home, because then she'd be late picking up her daughter. It was ugly.

It's gotten to the point where some of the parents are getting angry about it, I mean who in the world wants a strange dog jumping around or barking at their kids as they leave school? It's ridiculous!!!
Pint Sized Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:37 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 175/147/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pint Sized Terror View Post
I agree. There are several dog owners here who take their dogs to school while they pick up their kids. They've sent home NUMEROUS letters saying dogs are absolutely NOT allowed on campus, for obvious safety reasons. Nevertheless, there are ALWAYS people bringing their dogs and standing within the crowd of people and their young children leaving school. A few tie their dogs to the BIKE RACK where all the kids have their bikes and just LEAVE them there while they stand near the doors waiting for their kids to come out. There have been dogs jumping on people, knocking small kids down, barking, getting loose and running around... Thankfully there have been no attacks, but the way people act with them, they should be ashamed. One woman started screaming at a school aid who asked her, very politely, to take her large dog back home. The woman was refusing to, saying she didn't have to take her dog all the way back home, because then she'd be late picking up her daughter. It was ugly.

It's gotten to the point where some of the parents are getting angry about it, I mean who in the world wants a strange dog jumping around or barking at their kids as they leave school? It's ridiculous!!!
Yipes! you live on the other side of the country and are running into the same problem. When I pick up the kids at school, I have to make my way through a crowd of dogs that are tied to the fence right at the school gate. Everyone who passes by has to get through this pack of animals. The owners spend a lot of time saying: "Don't worry, he's really nice."

On the way out, the kiddies are encouraged to pet them. Sorry, I don't want my grandchildren chewed up by some crazy unattended animal. We complained! It seems very irresponsible for people to actually ask passerbys to pet their dogs. If I wanted to, I would ask permission. Grrrrrr!
jojotheyoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:33 AM   #27  
walkin'the dogs

S/C/G: 231/ 173/ 140

Height: 5ft 7"

You should try being in the UK, dogs arent allowed anywhere

I dont think people should let dogs slobber on food, nor do i think people should let their childern touch food other people are going to eat.
Manners from Dogs, adults,Childern,all required. Disgusting offensive habits keep at home.
Mishflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:32 AM   #28  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

It pisses me off when people take their dogs to the park or stores or whatever and owners get pissy when my kids want to pet them. HELLO! If you take a dog to an area loaded with kids like a park wth do you expect?
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:37 AM   #29  

On the way out, the kiddies are encouraged to pet them. Sorry, I don't want my grandchildren chewed up by some crazy unattended animal. We complained! It seems very irresponsible for people to actually ask passerbys to pet their dogs. If I wanted to, I would ask permission. Grrrrrr![/QUOTE]

You should let your school have it on that one! OMG! Many dogs can be friendly and nice or whatever. The problem is dogs can become overly excited and stimulated in a crowd of young kids and can react in ways you dont expect. Two years ago in my own district a little girl was bitten by a Golden Retriever--that certainly isn't a breed I would worry about--anyway, she had dozens and dozens of stitches across her face. Alot to handle at seven years old. Now, the school doesn't play. You will absolutely be fined for being anywhere on school grounds with a dog of any kind.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:40 AM   #30  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmare View Post
I'm glad to see that I'm not alone in this. I have no problem with people walking their dogs or taking them to dog parks. I have problems with their mutt pooping on my yard and them not cleaning it up. I have problems with the retractable leashes when I'm riding my bike and their dog runs out into the road. I've almost hit a dog or 2 and gotten tangled up in 10 ft of leash. I have problems with people who feel the law is for you not them.
This. Exactly. I have a dog and no one has to clean up her poop, hear her bark but us! Furthermore, when someone visits my home I don't allow her to knock them down and jump all over them either.