General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-27-2010, 10:47 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 174→168.0→135

Height: 4'9''

Unhappy I am absolutely miserable.

I'm so irritated right now. I have really bad allergies, and year-round hayfever, as well as chronic idiopathic urticaria (fancy way to say i get hives and the doctors don't know why). I take medicine to keep my symptoms under control, so that I can get things done, and they work well. I noticed that, while family was here, someone stole a considerable amount of my pills. I was left with ten, which I used sparingly until we had the money to get more. It's been an entire week without any pills. My eyes burn, are scratchy, and swollen from the rubbing and itching. My nose is both runny and stuffy, and rubbed raw from blowing it. I can only breathe through my nose.

My mom ordered some pills through the internet, about 4-5 days ago, and I hope they get here today/tomorrow, because if not... all **** is about to break loose.

I finally said eff it and took a bath the other day, by the time I was halfway through my upper trunk had 3 or 4 decent sized hives, so I decided to skip washing my hair. Big mistake, because I need to be somewhere sunday, and I need to be bathed and not have eyes the size of golf balls. I need to be able to wash my hair so that I can have my hair cut, and I need to be able to look human so I can flirt with this guy, and yes it's very important to me because I want to show him that I've been losing weight (since he used to be heavy too).

I'm irritated with my parents, because if my sister wants something, BAM, they go out and get it. Something trivial she can do without. But when I'm itchy and sneezy and absolutely miserable, I have to wait and wait and wait, even when I've offered to pay for the pills myself. My family is just so damn lazy. I could go up to the store myself if I had a license, or if I had a friend who lived near by that I could drive with since I have my permit, but I have literally 1 friend since high school and she lives a ways away, too far to accompany me to the store.

My mom's trying to get me to try another allergy pill- I've only found one that works, and I want THAT one. I don't want to test something new out- I want to be able to shower and wash my hair without being covered in hives, with a medicine I know and trust because it WORKS! On top of that my scalp is so itchy because I haven't been able to wash it, and I feel hideous and gross, and I'm dreading having to take another bath/a shower without these pills.

I'm just so #$$#ing annoyed, and everyone is getting mad at me becuase I keep complaining, so I...brought it here. I know I'm an adult, I know I should take care of myself and I know it's my fault and that I shouldn't rely on mommy to get me my medicine.... I'm just so miserable... ugh. And there's not much you guys can say, I guess, so I guess this is just a vent. :/

Last edited by yhahmd; 10-27-2010 at 10:49 AM.
yhahmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:08 AM   #2  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

Oooh! I get hives for no reason! If I bump into something that I'm allergic too, and I dont know I'm allergic, I get them baaaad. I thought I was nuts! This is great!

I have weird allergies, though... I'm allergic to flouride, so I can't drink tap water or cook with it.

My Dad was born allergic to water, but he grew out of it at 3 months old..

I hope you get some help, I feel bad. Have you confronted the "family" that was at your house? I would. Steal my meds? Hecks no! There'd be some heck to pay!
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:21 AM   #3  

S/C/G: CW: 155 GW: 130

Height: 5'2"

Are you allergic to your soap?! If you're breaking out in hives while taking a bath and washing your hair, that would indicate to me that you need to stop using what you're using to wash with. Body wash and shampoo both have very similar formulas. Maybe try to make your own instead. Most homemade shampoos start with castille (sp?) soap. I'm sure you can probably order it online. It's all natural and you can add ingredients like rosemary, lavender or other smell-good herbs. That way you're not getting all the chemicals, AND it's supposed to be way better for your hair.

I can't believe no one is up in arms about your pills missing. Do you know who took them? In the mean time, try some eucalyptus ointment to get you breathing better. My son, my daughter and I all have seasonal allergies. My son takes medication for them because he has asthma. I do too, but I'm able to manage mine fairly well for now, and only have to use my inhaler maybe once a week. I use humidifiers in my son's room, prop their pillows up so their head is elevated, use saline drops in their noses and try to keep the house as dust free as possible. I also wipe our dogs down as soon as they come in the house (to remove pollen and other spores) and bathe them at least once a week.

I feel your pain, I really do. This time of year always leaves me with a chronic sinus headache, itchy eyes and asthma flare-ups. Until you get your pills, maybe you could try some of the "home remedies" to get you through.
Pint Sized Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:24 AM   #4  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

Ugh... I feel your pain. Well, maybe not THAT badly... cos wow it sounds like you get it realllllly bad... but allergies are ****.

My eyes itch, my face itches, my asthma starts acting up if it gets bad enough... I break out in small hives (rarely though)... I sneeze for hours on end... nose stuffed up.... UGH.

And you know what the funny thing is? I just spent a month in India where it's UBER polluted and UBER garbage and mold everywhere.... and I didn't have a SINGLE day that I had to take an allergy pill!!! The moment I got back into Chicago airspace, my nose plugged up! I was like ?!

One thing that's helped me though, because I'm prescribed Allegra D... and without insurance, it's like $5 a pill.... I've been able to cut back on my usage of Allegra by taking regular old Benedryl every night before bed. Not only does it help me sleep (and breathe) better, but it seems to cut my allergies in half so I save a TON of money on allergy meds now.

Good luck... and definitely try and find out who the heck stole your pills! That's bogus!
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:27 AM   #5  

Height: 5'3

*bighugs* I have chronic hives too although, I'm told the are autoimmune rather than idiopathic since my IgE is positive. I'm on zantac, xyzal and pramosone and I'd be pissed if someone took my meds... not that they are really doing anything for me.

I'm guessing it's the water that makes you break out?
Changed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:29 AM   #6  

@ Kateleestar- I thought I was allergic to water, too, because I'd never heard of someone getting hives from water, and after some research that's the only thing I could find. But then they said it was pretty rare, and I figured I probably didn't have it. I did see an allergist about it, and he basically just said "that's your lot in life, deal with it, here's some pills."

It's actually really good to see someone else that gets them, I mean it really isn't, but it sort of is, because everyone thinks I'm lying for attention when I mention it, and it gets really frustrating.

I told my mom someome stole from me, she acknowledged but not much was done because the person we think took them went back home. We only see her maybe once every 2 years. I don't want to say anything becuase of the small chance that I could be wrong- maybe I only had 10 pills left, but I could have sworn just the day before I had lots more.

@Pint_Sized_Terror- I am not. I know this because I've bathed with soap, without soap, with different soap, with shampoo, without, with different shampoo, etc. It doesn't matter. I think it's actually an excess of iron in the water, as we have well water, but I'm not completely sure. They seem to flare up more when the water is hot, but I've gotten them in cold and lukewarm water, too. We do make our own shampoo and soap from the castille bar, which I do use from time to time.

Luckily I don't have athsma- if I did I would be in a world of trouble, with how much my family procrastinates.

I, too, get chronic sinus headaches and infections. I actually just got done with one about a week ago or so. I was hoping to stay healthy until at least Tuesday, so I could enjoy myself sun-mon, but it doesn't look like that will be happening. :/ I'm going to try everything I can, though, at home, and hope something works. thank you, I really am in a bad mood and feel bad for complaining but I'm sure you know how I feel
Old 10-27-2010, 11:30 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Poor you! That sounds incredibly difficult! Have you used zaditor antihistamine eyedrops? They're kind of like benadryl for your eyes. They make my allergy itchy eyes stop bothering me right away. I second the suggestion to try different shampoos and soaps. Come back and tell us how you're holding up!

Oops - looks like we cross-posted. If it's the water that bothers you, there are some dry shampoos that might help you stretch out the amount of time between your normal hair washings. Hope you find something that works!

Last edited by dancerindenver; 10-27-2010 at 11:32 AM.
dancerindenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:30 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changed View Post
*bighugs* I have chronic hives too although, I'm told the are autoimmune rather than idiopathic since my IgE is positive. I'm on zantac, xyzal and pramosone and I'd be pissed if someone took my meds... not that they are really doing anything for me.

I'm guessing it's the water that makes you break out?
Either the water or something in the water. How do you like xyzal? I take zyrtec/cetirizine and they work amazingly. I guess they're supposed to make you drowsy but they don't make me drowsy at all.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:43 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/164

Height: 5'8"

I am highly allergic to everything pretty much.. Indoor/outdoor/seasonal/med/food allergies... So I know where you are coming from.. A few years ago I to got unexplained hives too. They were everywhere and I ended up in the hospital twice cause my face swelled up so bad. I saw every doctor possible and NOTHING worked. I was miserable for almost two years with chronic urticaria. Someone convinced me to see a holistic doctor who changed my diet and did some challenge testing and recommended acupuncture for allergies. I got better, the hives went away for the most part, I still get them now but they are small and I know what there from (petting a dog/exposure to dust) It was on the pricey side, but it really helped and I felt it was worth it. I know you said you depend on your parents to get your medicine so I am not sure its even a possibilty but I figured I'd let you know what worked for me.

Can I ask what medicine you found works for you? I take Zyrtec for allergies and found this helped with the hives as well. If you have something that works for I reccomend not changing it unless it stops being affective.

Sorry someone took your medicine.. And I hope you get some relief soon.. I know how uncomfortable it is..

What is causing your reaction when your washing your hair? Have you tried mild shampoo"s? I try to use the same soap, shampoo and conditioner so I don't have a reaction. I even pack it when we go away..
sha25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:48 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 326/274/190

Height: 5'6"

What about some Benadryl? Would it work well enough to make life tolerable until you get your prescription?
I got unexplained hives a couple years ago - had to get a cortisone shot because they were starting to get in my mouth. Luckily have never had them again.
odonnela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:50 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/164

Height: 5'8"

I saw your reply after i hit post about it not being from shampoo or soap.. I couldn't imagine being allergic to water or something in it. Do you get a reaction from drinking water as well?
sha25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:52 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sha25 View Post
I saw your reply after i hit post about it not being from shampoo or soap.. I couldn't imagine being allergic to water or something in it. Do you get a reaction from drinking water as well?
I do not. I guzzle water like a fish. I honestly think it's the iron. When the water guy came a while ago, he said we did have a lot of iron in the water, especially the hot water (which would explain why they're worse when I'm in hot water.)
Old 10-27-2010, 11:54 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by odonnela View Post
What about some Benadryl? Would it work well enough to make life tolerable until you get your prescription?
I got unexplained hives a couple years ago - had to get a cortisone shot because they were starting to get in my mouth. Luckily have never had them again.
I might give it a try, but I don't trust it. :/ I'm sort of a paranoid hypochondriac. I get nervous taking something I haven't taken before, but this is getting old fast so I might have to.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:03 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 166/see ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

Have you ever heard of Lush? They sell all kinds of soaps, lotions, and shampoos and they are all 100% natural/organic. They also smell amazing. I bought this bar (most of the products are solids) of coconut shampoo there because my scalp also gets itchy from regular shampoo -no hives though- and I love it. You could look on their website, it might help with some of your allergies in the future.
tonimaroni2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:07 PM   #15  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

Wow.... I couldn't believe when I started reading your post. I also have chronic idiopathic urticaria! I've never met anyone else who has it and on this board alone we have 3 people! I feel your pain... I've been through several bouts of hives over the past 17 years and they still have no idea what cause mine either. My doctor is leaning towards autoimmune but isn't 100% sure. At one point they told me I had Lupus, have you been tested for it? If you're like me you've probably been tested for everything under the sun.

It sounds like you've gotten a raw deal from your family with regards to the pill stealing and having to wait. When I first got sick my parents did a bunch of reno's to the house because they thought something there might be making me sick (tore out old carpet... etc.). Does your family not understand you need this for your wellbeing? I know how miserable you must be. Sick and tired, sore and itchy, frustrated that you can only treat the symptoms and not the root cause.

I'm also curious to know what you're taking. I currently take Reactine and Benadryl every day, the Benadryl is cheap but the Reactine isn't. And of course since they're over the counter meds no health plan will pay for them. But I also take Prednisone when I have an outbreak. Granted it's not ideal for long term and the side effects are absolutely horrible! They are what started me on my path to heaviness in the first place!!! And I know how you feel about wanting to stick with what works, anything else is just a crapshoot and you just want relief.

Can you go somewhere else to shower that might have different water? I know you mentioned not having friends near by but is there a gym, pool or heck, even a truck stop? (WEAR SHOES IN THE SHOWER!!!!) If they have water different then what you do then at least you would know if it was something in your water or just water period. Are you drinking the same water you're bathing in? It's strange that your skin might be reacting to the iron when bathing but not when drinking.

I do understand. I have spent many days and nights sick, itchy, sore and miserable. Craving sweets from the drugs, depressed and just eating to oblivion. I wish I could do something to help... just hang in there.

Last edited by Aunty Jam; 10-27-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote