General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-27-2010, 05:38 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 174→168.0→135

Height: 4'9''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunty Jam View Post
Wow.... I couldn't believe when I started reading your post. I also have chronic idiopathic urticaria! I've never met anyone else who has it and on this board alone we have 3 people! I feel your pain... I've been through several bouts of hives over the past 17 years and they still have no idea what cause mine either. My doctor is leaning towards autoimmune but isn't 100% sure. At one point they told me I had Lupus, have you been tested for it? If you're like me you've probably been tested for everything under the sun.

It sounds like you've gotten a raw deal from your family with regards to the pill stealing and having to wait. When I first got sick my parents did a bunch of reno's to the house because they thought something there might be making me sick (tore out old carpet... etc.). Does your family not understand you need this for your wellbeing? I know how miserable you must be. Sick and tired, sore and itchy, frustrated that you can only treat the symptoms and not the root cause.

I'm also curious to know what you're taking. I currently take Reactine and Benadryl every day, the Benadryl is cheap but the Reactine isn't. And of course since they're over the counter meds no health plan will pay for them. But I also take Prednisone when I have an outbreak. Granted it's not ideal for long term and the side effects are absolutely horrible! They are what started me on my path to heaviness in the first place!!! And I know how you feel about wanting to stick with what works, anything else is just a crapshoot and you just want relief.

Can you go somewhere else to shower that might have different water? I know you mentioned not having friends near by but is there a gym, pool or heck, even a truck stop? (WEAR SHOES IN THE SHOWER!!!!) If they have water different then what you do then at least you would know if it was something in your water or just water period. Are you drinking the same water you're bathing in? It's strange that your skin might be reacting to the iron when bathing but not when drinking.

I do understand. I have spent many days and nights sick, itchy, sore and miserable. Craving sweets from the drugs, depressed and just eating to oblivion. I wish I could do something to help... just hang in there.
Wow, I'm surprised, too. It really IS strange to meet someone else with it- someone who doesn't think you're just faking, for whatever reason. And it really is uncomfortable. As are allergies. I actually haven't been tested for anything. I just told them what my symptoms were and they threw some pills at me, and I haven't got the money right now to even think of any testing. It might just be autoimmune, my grandmother had some autoimmune issues when she was younger (that she actually died from.)

My parents care, but sometimes it's hard for me to see it. They're always leaving the doors open early in the morning to "let some fresh air (and pollen) in," smoking in the house, mowing the lawn without letting me know, etc. It does get irritating at times.

I take zyrtec or cetrizine (generic brand) and I love them. Nothing else seems to work for me. I was in singulair about 2 years ago and experienced vivid, scary dreams, insomnia and depression, so I won't go back to that.

I decided to suck it up and just shower. I tried to be fast, but it didn't matter. I came out with hives on my forehead, near my ears, my neck, on my shoulders. It wasn't really that severe of an outbreak, but it was very uncomfortable to say the least. But I got my hair washed at least, so I can go get my hair cut!

I drink the same water I bathe in, but it's run through a reverse osmosis.. thing. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

It turns out, we were out of pop, so my mom ran to the store. I told her if we have time/money to get pop, we have time/money to get me some $%(@ing pills. I didn't realise how costly they were... but oh well, I have them, hahahaha! I'm so happy now.

Thanks for putting up with my bad mood everyone!
yhahmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:55 AM   #17  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

Well the symptoms kind of speak for themselves... kind of hard to fake bright red hives all over your body!!! So the drinking water is filtered but the bathing water isn't? That could make a big difference. As I asked before... any chance of you showering somewhere with different water?

The pills are really expensive but in my house meds are a priority, above pop and junk food anyway. I think my reactine is cetrizine also, I always buy the store brand and watch for sales.

Btw... can I ask where you are? Pop is a Canadian term doesn't Canadian health care cover the expense of allergy testing?

There is some debate about issues like this being hereditary, my Mom has MS so she always kind of blamed herself for me getting sick.. silly lady.
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote