General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-26-2010, 06:29 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

I think I would be fine with it if it tastes as good and I don't personally know the "source." Drinking your friends' milk is just weird to me. A few of my friends tried another one of our friend's milk. They said it was really good (fyi- the husbands freaked out, haha)!

A lot of the issues brought up would have to do with the industry not being regulated. There would absolutely need to be guidelines in regards to the diet/lifestyle of the women who produce this milk, as well as how they are treated by their employers.

Last edited by Aclai4067; 10-26-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:31 PM   #17  
Funsized Fiesta

S/C/G: 230/144.5/130

Height: 5'4"

If it tasted good and was clean, why not. I'm not squicked out by the idea of breast milk at all, but I do think it should be used to feed babies above anything else.
KenzideRhae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:43 AM   #18  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

The milk part of it doesn't bother me but HIV, CMV, and hepatitis can be found in contaminated breastmilk so ensuring a pure source would be difficult. That would be my main concern, ensuring the milk wasn't contaminated with pathogens.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:00 AM   #19  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I'm not icked out by it in any way. I've tried it and I wasn't a fan of the taste of my own... but if it was all there was to drink I wouldn't freak out if I had to drink it.

When I had my daughter, my son was 4. He asked me to pump him some milk on several occassions. I had friends that thought it was crazy... eh, he'd only been weaned for 3 years. Human milk is for humans.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:25 AM   #20  
Joie de Vivre!!

S/C/G: 230/ticker/130

Height: 5'7"

I posed this question to my husband last night (the man can drink a gallon of milk a day), and he said if that happened he'd just get me pregnant.

But seriously, I think the initial "ewww" factor comes from what odonnela said. We wouldn't eat a human being, and drinking their milk feels like that. It feels different when it's your own baby because you've already been nourishing it from your body for nine months.

I could probably get past that part, but like other people have mentioned I would be afraid of diseases, medications, drugs, etc.

Last edited by TheBunneh; 10-27-2010 at 09:26 AM.
TheBunneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:01 AM   #21  

S/C/G: CW: 155 GW: 130

Height: 5'2"

I grew up in the midwest too, with very conservative views.

I wouldn't drink breast milk for a couple of reasons. One, it would be incredibly expensive. There are already people who donate breast milk to milk banks that provide breast milk to young babies who can't have formula, and don't have ready access to breast milk. It's expensive. The people who donate have to pass certain guidelines. They can't even smoke or live with a smoker or take regular medications. You can't donate if you live a vegan lifestyle unless you can come off of it while donating. Plus there's the whole diseases thing. The breast milk has to be stored at a certain temperature and shipped a certain way. I mean, they can't have hundreds of mothers sitting in rows of chairs attached to milk machines at farms, can they? So screening, obtaining and processing it would make it expensive.

Two, I get creeped out about cow's milk. I drink it, my kids drink it, but I've been toying with the idea of just cutting it out all together and sticking with a vegetarian milk. I just haven't found one I like yet. I hate soy milk. Blech!

But anyway, having milk to drink isn't so important to me, and I'm thinking the rest of humanity, to go through all the trouble of procuring human breast milk.
Pint Sized Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:57 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I wouldn't, but like AnnieDrews said, it's not part of our culture. I don't necessarily think it's disgusting or anything, it's just not the norm. In other countries people consume insects regularly as a protein source, but I'm not going to do that either.

On the other hand, if that was how it always was... then yes. I wouldn't know any different
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:11 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

I don't think I would. Mainly because my mom says I hated breast milk as a baby (but apparently loved goat milk...) but I would have a hard time overcoming the "EWW!" factor and the "I don't know where her boobs have been".
penmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:43 PM   #24  

Human milk is for humans. Cow milk is for cows. Goat milk is for goats.

Soy/almond/hemp milk is for me!

I wouldn't drink human breast milk, but I also wouldn't put another animal's milk in my mouth. Then again, I wouldn't eat my dog or my spouse, so I'm not eating a baby cow's mom or a pig's mate either. It's interesting to me that so many are disgusting by the thought of drinking milk from a human boob, but not from a cow's boob.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:54 PM   #25  
emaline29

S/C/G: 226/202/154

Height: 4'11"

I would just reiterate what has been said - God gave us permission to use and eat animals but drinking human milk is tantramount to being cannibalistic in my opinion.
I would not be averse to eating dog or some other animal that most put their nose up to as again it is just another animal.
emaline29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:59 PM   #26  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by penmage View Post
"I don't know where her boobs have been".

If I were drinking milk (or anything else, for that matter) right now, it would be spewing from my nose.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:48 PM   #27  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
LOL! I love this!! I've recently come to the conclusion that cow's milk isn't for human consumption. It's made for baby cows!!
Absolutely! and I have felt terrible for cows, whose babies are taken from them, and then they are jailed into forced lactation. WHat if that happened to human females?? it's horrendous isn't it.

I am a big fat hypocrite because I do love skim milk, cheese, yogurt But if I had to give them up I would.

and um, I don't think I could do the human milk thing.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:04 PM   #28  
Suicide Wing Winner

S/C/G: 135/98/105

Height: 5'5"

I’d probably drink human milk before I drank cow’s milk.
Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote